Zio Ciro, Rome

by Lacristina
  • Lacristina's Profile Photo

Zio Ciro: Reasonable Prices with a View of the Pantheon

by Lacristina Updated Nov 3, 2006

A very nice dining experience - quite reasonably priced especially given it's wonderful location.

I had a very fresh green salad with radicchio, then risotto with funghi porcini and I ate every bit of it.

The owner and I had a brief conversation (I really appreciate the opportunity to try out my Italian on any unsuspecting native). I explained that I was eating early and in a hurry in order to get to Santa Maria Sopra Minerva early for a concert that started at 8:30 p.m. (My VT friend in Rome, Abarbieri (Antonio) had warned me to get there an hour early to get a good seat -and he was right!) The owner was curious about the concert and I explained what I knew about it. Just a few words exchanged, really - and a few minutes later, he very kindly brought me a gift - a Limoncello in a beautiful yellow and green glass.

For those of you who haven't ever had the pleasure, Limoncello is ambrosia of the gods - an after dinner drink, served cold (I keep mine in the freezer) infused with lemon peel that is so utterly refreshing you'll think you're on a terrace in Amalfi, overlooking the Mediterranean.

I am always amazed at the kindness of people in Rome in the tourist industry. This gentleman sees hundreds of tourists every day, and yet he went out of his way to offer a kindness to someone who, as far as he knows, he will never see again. It's enough to melt the icy, overly suspicious, hand-on-your-wallet attitude that you sometimes need to travel with.

Back to the dinner. Total cost, about 20E. Really amazingly reasonable given that you're right on Piazza della Rotunda, looking at della Porta's fountain and Hadrian's Pantheon. On a warmer, non-rainy night, I can't think of many places I'd rather be for a late night dinner in Rome.

Favorite Dish: Risotto is my favorate dish at ANY Italian restaurant, and it was pretty good here, too.

Memories of limoncello

Instant Answers: Rome

Comments

Hotels Near Zio Ciro
5.0 out of 5 stars