Stores, Malls or Markets in Rome

Most Viewed Shopping in Rome

• Turska's Profile Photo

Handigrafts market at front of Castel san Angelo: Handigrafts

by Turska Written Oct 12, 2008

These people are here selling their handigraft at end of July-if I remember correct,it was last two weeks of July.I was sorry,that we didn´t find a bankomat around,so we couldn´t buy a thing!

What to buy: clothes,jewellery,paintings,old books,all kinds of handigrafts and also bakings

What to pay: Not so expensive as I thought.I would have bought a skirt for 25e,but I couldn´t find a bankomat.

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

Gucci and others: Danger

by traveloturc Written Sep 23, 2008

Maybe I ve had to write this tip on the "warnings and dangers" or maybe in the " traps" section I am not sure but after all this is a shopping story...If you are married and if you visit italy specially Rome try to avoid the street of Condotti...I want to warn you that entering is on your own risk....good luck

What to pay: too much

• rkearns's Profile Photo

*** and vagina pasta....serioiusly

by rkearns Updated Jun 16, 2008

many grocery stores carry this item in the pasta section ...it's *** and vagina pasta! i don't really understand it, but it is what it is. hiliarious! apparently you can say vagina but not *** on vt. hmm...

• abi_maha's Profile Photo

Flea market outside termini: Beat the cheats!

by abi_maha Written Jun 3, 2008

My slippers wore out mid way thru the trip, most of the shops quoted sky high rates, for one day I didn't want to spend so much!! The flea market outside the termini I got a good pair of joggers at 13E, it sure looks good!

• Paisleypaul's Profile Photo

Profondo Rosso: Movie memorabilia

by Paisleypaul Updated Jan 3, 2008

This is the shop belonging to the famed Roman director Dario Argento (father of Asia Argento) named after the famous 1975 David Hemmings film ( you can link to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073582/ ). Known for horror films such as Inferno, Suspria and Dawn of the Dead (producer) the Italian thriller style giallo films are the ones that he truly makes like no other. If you are a fan there is much here, if not the stock extends to memorabilia and action figures from Star Wars, Alien, Nightmare aon Elm Street and a lot more besides.

What to buy: Buy one of the excellent biographies of Argento or Mario Bava by Luigi Cozzi, Argento collaborator and director in his own right - - - as well as shop assistant !

What to pay: Books less than Eu20 , action figures (I don't collect myself ) and memorabilia, to me, looked pricey

Deep Red

• Spazio Sette: Shopping for housewares

by nihal_gabr Written Dec 16, 2007

This is by far the best houseware store in rome! It has everything from Alessi kettles to a huge collection of candles, carpets, smaller kitchen gadgets and all possible Italian designer labels.

What to buy: Kitchen ware is certainly their strongest point.

• aquatic's Profile Photo

Limoni Profumerie: Parfume and Cosmetics

by aquatic Written Dec 1, 2007

Very nice little store stocked top to bottom with parfume, creams, cosmetics, jewelry of any kind and diffferent prices for any budget. I spent there an hour and bought everything I needed and something for each member of my family. A nice Italian girl wiht ruddian origins helped me to choose products and worked patiently with me for that whole hour. I love that store. Especially the location. It was right across the street from our hotel.

What to buy: Parfume, cosmetics, beauty products, bath products

What to pay: You will be able to find what you need according to your budget.

• ruki's Profile Photo

open market: Campo de' Fiori

by ruki Written Sep 7, 2007

Campo de' Fiori is the oldest market in Rome, where food and flowers are found. Its name comes from the Piazza (south of Corso Vittorio Emanuele II), where the market takes places since 140 years. In fact, the traditional food market was located since 1478 in Piazza Navona, but it was moved here in 1869. The market is open every morning of the week except Sunday. Campo de' Fiori, surrounded by many bars and restaurants, is a popular destination at night for locals and foreigners alike

Immigrant stores

by fairy_dust Written Sep 2, 2007

Close to Termini, there are a lot of small shops run by immigrants (mostly African) and they sell a lot of cheap but cute things. Usually, these shops are on the smaller streets.

What to buy: I got a blue beaded drawstring purse, but I also saw a lot of jewelry, African drums, etc.

What to pay: I paid around 5 Euros for the purse.

Shoe stores

by fairy_dust Written Sep 2, 2007

Being a girl, I just HAD to check out the shoe stores! I checked out a few close to Termini and compared prices, and ended up buying a cute pair of wedge sandals with leather straps for very cheap.

What to buy: Shoes of all styles and price ranges.

What to pay: I think I paid around 30 Euros for the pair I bought.

Coppelia: If you're a dancer

by fairy_dust Written Aug 16, 2007

Close to the Santa Maria Maggiore basilica, I stumbled upon a dancewear store called Coppelia. Being a dancer, I just had to check it out! It's quite small but there are all sorts of dance shoes, clothes, etc. Since they had brands that are not available in my hometown's dancewear store, I took advantage of the opportunity and tried on many pairs of pointe shoes (and ended up buying a pair of Grishko 2007 pointes).

What to buy: Pointe shoes and ballet slippers (brands include Bloch, Grishko, Prima Soft, Porselli, Freed, Gaynor Minden), leotards, tights, dance sweaters, skirts, jazz pants, etc. Mostly ballet stuff, but I also saw some jazz shoes and sneakers.

What to pay: I think I paid around 40-50 Euros for the Grishko pointe shoes.

• Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo

D&G: Terrible prices!!

by Henrik_rrb Updated Jun 25, 2007

Those who know me knows that I have a thing for D&G-clothes. They are expensive, but most of the time really nice looking, and of great quality.

Since I couldn't find the D&G-shop when I was in Dublin the week before, I was really looking forward to do some serious shopping in the D&G-shop in Rome.

Was I mistaken or what...??

Either D&G has shock raised their prices during the last four months, or that shop in Via Condotti seriously has missunderstood the price settings... I found two very nice t-shirts in the shop. The first was priced 250 euro. The second 450 euro.

For a t-shirt!? Are you kidding me?!

Needless to say there were no shopping made that day...and definitely never ever in that shop.

The shop itself was nice, although compared to the D&G-shop in Milan the staff was fairly arrogant, I almost felt like Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman" when I walked in.
    And no, I wasn't dressed like a prostitute... ;)

But there sure are better shops to burn your VISA-card in Rome than this one...

If you still want to go there, there are women's clothes on the first floor, while men goes a level up.

What to buy: Nothing, no matter how rich you are.

What to pay: Way too much...

• Luxury Travel

• icunme's Profile Photo

Tax-free shopping in Italy

by icunme Updated May 16, 2007

Tourists in Italy arriving from outside the European Community are entitled to the refund of I.V.A. (Value Added Tax) which ranges from 12 to 35% on amounts exceeding 155,00 euro spent in the same shop. To enjoy this benefit it is necessary to apply to shops that have an agreement - Tax Free, Italy Free Shopping, Tax Free System, Euro Tax, Tax Refund posted in their window and/or inside. The refund can be obtained inside the shops with the proper sign - or at Leonardo Da Vinci International Airport of Fiumicino in the Customs Office or by post. Items must be new, in original boxes, and you must have all receipts. Go early to the airport if you intend to complete the procedure there.

I'm updating this tip with the following information from a visitor to my pages indicating that he has used this tax free service in Italy and they were very efficient:
    www.premiertaxfree.com

Happy shopping in bella Italia.................

• Luxury Travel

• Lornabug's Profile Photo

Polvere di Tempo: Hour glasses, sun dials, and ancient knowledge!

by Lornabug Written Feb 25, 2007

The woman that owns this shop has been doing her trade for 25 years, she told me, which includes hand made hour glasses and sundials. She makes hour glasses in a range of sizes from 4 feet to pendant size for a few euro. Many of them are very fine. She also crafts sundials and has made a unique assortment of them. My favorite was a ring with a knob that slides a piece back and forth which you align so as to let the sun's shadow fall through a hole and onto the inside of the ring where the hour ticks are. You'll never need a watch in Rome with a ring like that!

There were many other very clever designs including one with magic squares of words from ancient Rome or floor plans of the Pantheon, Collosseum, etc crafted into pins, cuff links, wax seals, jewelry, and more. I fell for the octant, an old brass sailing instrument with protractors and moveable lenses and things for my fiancee who loves boats and Leonardo. Needless to say a hand-crafted historical gift like this, hand wrapped with much care and a beautiful wooden box for under 150 euro was a steal and a pleaser.

Stop in here for tons more wonderful curiosities! The website is also wonderful.

What to buy: The sundials are calculated for Rome's latitude.

Curt's octant I didn't take this photo

• magyarozag's Profile Photo

The Roman Forum Shop: Roman life

by magyarozag Written Jan 2, 2007

The Roman Forum shop, which is entered when exiting the Roman Forum is a small but relaxing shop offering great views over the Forum.

What to buy: There are figures, pop-out books, colour in boks etc. all at street value prices.

• Archeology

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Grand Hotel Palazzo Carpegna
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Rome

Comments

Rome Shopping

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Rome locals.
Map of Rome