Negotiating Prices, Rome

Know about this? Rate It!

no, I didn't buy them...
    by phred1910
  • hzangel2's Profile Photo

Negotiating Prices: Knockoff designer bags

by hzangel2 Written Oct 23, 2007

While in Rome you'll find many people lined up along the streets selling knock off purses, belts, sunglasses, etc.
    I would just like to say, that if you do see one that you like, if you walk away from them, and tell them that you have NO Cash. (hide most you money elsewhere and even show him your empty wallet) you can get them to go very low in price.
    I saw one I liked, and he said 30 euro, i said, that 15 was my max i'd spend on a knockoff, he said, i can do 20, i said sorry, 10-15 is max, he said ok 15, and i said, nah, i think i'll keep looking, and walked away, he followed me and said ok 10, so i said, sure. Then i realized that with it being our last day, we didn't have any euro money left and were just using our debit card at restaurants.. So I said, i'm so sorry, all I have is 7 euro, and he said, i can do 9 and i said, no really, 7 is all i have and walked away, he followed me and said, fine. 7.
    so I got him to go from 30 euro all the way down to 7 for a lovely knockoff Prada bag!

• Women's Travel
    • Study Abroad

• rita_simoes's Profile Photo

Porta Portese: Market

by rita_simoes Updated Sep 30, 2007

no, I didn't buy them...

It's the biggest market in Rome. It's 'open' on sunday mornings.

What to buy: EVERYTHING! Clothes, sunglasses, books, antiques, cds, dvds, home furnishing, toys, it has everything for everybody.

What to pay: Being a market, everything is quite cheap, and you can always negotiate the prices. For instance, I bought two shirts for 2€ and one for 1€... You just have to search in the middle of the piles of clothing.

• AlexDJ's Profile Photo

Via Sannio market: the daily bargain

by AlexDJ Written Dec 27, 2005

It's a open air market, same style as Porta Portese, but here clothes and shoes are the main items sold on the banks. There is a wide variety of stalls sellings loads of new and second hand clothes, military and camping equipment. The market is open from monday to saturday 8.00-14.00.

What to buy: The biggest bargains are the leather goods and accessories which sel at much lower prices than in the department stores.

• Paisleypaul's Profile Photo

Sunday market: Giant Sunday market Trastevere

by Paisleypaul Updated Oct 27, 2005

Trastevere Sunday market, Via Portuense

All the clothes, fruit, drinks, refreshments, knock offs you expect ata a market. This one is extremely busy - can take way more than an hour just to cover the length. Two - hookey obviously - CDs at for Eu5.00, new shirts Eu5 and Eu10. I got six of the former for Eu27 by calling the guy's bluff and walking away but it was hard work !

What to buy: Shirts and clothes, whatever takes your fancy. An iced beer ?

• deecat's Profile Photo

Negotiating Prices: Social Center of Rome: Piazza Navona

by deecat Updated May 11, 2005

Hugh Negotiating Prices in Piazza Navona

Piazza Navona is an awesome place to negotiate prices. There are many artists as well as "con-artists" in this area around Piazza Navona (known as the centro storico). I don't really think that there is another Piazza in Rome that can rival this one for atmosphere. For me, it was the social center of Rome because there is something going on day or night.

We visited here often. On one of our visits, our friend Huge, an American serviceman, came with us. He saw a "hawker" selling beaded jewelry and wanted to buy a necklace for his wife back in America. Thus began a "NEGOTIATION DANCE of sorts.

Hugh was very good. When he thought that the price was too high, he would just walk away. The young artist would run after him and, of course, lower the price.

What to buy: Hugh was able to purchase the beautiful beaded necklace for a much-adored wife, and the young artist probably got more than he had hoped for. Everyone was satisfied.

Allan and I purchased four water-color paintings in this same Piazza. These paintings hang in our Great Room as a reminder of all those joyful visits to the wonderful Piazza Navona.

What to pay: Depending on the item, the merchandise can range from a few dollars to hundreds of dollars.

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

Street vendors

by fairy_dust Written Apr 2, 2004

There are many street vendors in Rome, especially near tourist areas. They expect you to haggle the price. So ask for the price, and make an offer that's much lower than the original. Then, the vendor will give you another price, and you keep haggling until you both agree on a price. It's very easy to do.

What to buy: Many vendors sell religious items, but also souvenirs, jewelry, and clothes.

What to pay: If you haggle the price, much cheaper than what you would pay in a store.

• Religious Travel
    • School Holidays
    • Study Abroad

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

The Markets: Visiting the markets

by mvtouring Written Jun 27, 2006

If you like street markets then Rome will not dissapoint you. I love visiting markets as you always find interesting little nicknaks there and sometimes the most wonderfull handcrafts.

• Women's Travel

• phred1910's Profile Photo

Negotiation is Key

by phred1910 Written Jul 9, 2003

Shopping near the Colleseum

NEVER pay full price for any souvenier !!! Make a very low offer and arrive at your original value. I think it is almost an insult if you don't negotiate.

Instant Answers: Rome