Women's Clothing, Rome

Know about this? Rate It!

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Furla: Famous Italian Handbags

by TRimer Updated Jan 30, 2006

Furla (from their website)

For the most chic ladies in town, this is the place for handbags, scarves, and belts at reasonable prices.

Founded in Bologna, Furla has been known for both its feminine and functional designs. Every Furla collection is the result of research and interpretation, which takes account of the past and observes the present, with the future in mind. According to the designer it is because the true virtue of elegance lies not in its power to amaze, but to interpret what is new and translate it into a style.

What to buy: The handbags and belts will be at a fraction of the price that you will find them in the States (sold at Bloomingdales). Plus some of the styles available never make it to the US.

What to pay: Around $100 US

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Shops near Spanish Steps: Authentic vs. Knock-off

by karenincalifornia Updated May 26, 2005

Valentino store near Spanish Steps, Rome

Many of the major designers have shops near the Spanish Steps. Walking through those streets was like paging through Vogue.

What to buy: You can buy very expensive clothes and bags here at these designer shops. For those of you who have to have your custom made shirts, this is the place to come.

Or you could go over to Ponte S. Angelo (the bridge by the Castel S Angelo) and buy a knock-off for 1/20th of the price. (The shirt probably won't fit.)

What to pay: Depends if you have to have the real thing.

• jlee008's Profile Photo

Il Discount dell'Alta Moda: Discount Shopping in Rome!!!

by jlee008 Updated Mar 18, 2005

Map of Via Gesu e Maria

As it's name suggests, its a discount store!! It is a reputable discount store in Rome that sells high end label goods at reduced prices. When you walk into the store, it is very much like a shop. Clothing, shoes, and accessories are nicely displayed. Some of the accessories are behind glass cabinets and such (to deter theft I suppose). It is adequately lit and the staff are pleasant enough. However, in the true Italian shopping style, better dress to impress. The sales personnel can be a bit on the snobbish side.

What to buy: You can buy anything that you want (or what it is that you can afford rather). They have all the big name labels, depending on what comes in. You can find Armani, Versace, Ferre, etc.

What to pay: 50% off retail or more depending

• Fizzyblond's Profile Photo

Shoe shops!: More Haste - more disappointment

by Fizzyblond Written Dec 28, 2004

Just a general warning to you intrepid shoppers out there.... my silliest mistake was to rush and buy a pair of leather boots from a gorgeous assistant in a lovely shop (not the shops fault so no names here!). I tried on, pranced and danced around the store in glee and paid up, carried the goods home to England and was so fussy about my Italian leather boots I wore them straight away to show my two younger (and also shopaholic) sisters! Both of them wanted to try them on immediately - being of a similar size I consented! Then oh my gosh, sister number two said..." where did you say these boots are from?" and I proudly said "Italy"!! She then showed me the damming little sign that said "Made in China" What I would have given to have the ground swallow me up!

What to buy: Real Italian leather shoes are just fabulous!

So make sure you read the labels!

What to pay: I spend as much as I can afford - they are so stylish and last for ever!

• ANNAD's Profile Photo

piazza di spagna: two days for shopping

by ANNAD Written Jan 25, 2004

shopping

Italian style is particular as italian people
    all shop in this famous square are the best of italian style
    cavalli gucci dolce & gabbana
    I love their style

What to buy: a GUCCI ' bag
    a Cavalli' jeans
    a t-shirt of dolce & gabbana
    a pair of shoes of PRADA
    ok that's all
    than you ask to the hotel if they need someone who clean the room (beacause you need money...ah ah)
    enjoy to ROME is a special place

What to pay: first of all you need a large credit or a grat husband who want to make you happy

Women's Clothing: Shopping for Italian Designer Clothings

by Krystynn Written Jan 16, 2004

Salvatore Ferragamo at the Spanish Steps

My favorite boutiques in Rome are:

Salvatore Ferragamo at: Via de Condotti 73, Rome.
    Ferragamo also have a smaller boutique right at the foot of the Spanish Steps. Their shoes are simply to-die for! And they are almost 40% to 50% cheaper than if you were to buy them in Asia! If I can't carry too many boxes of shoes back to Singapore, I'll get them to ship it instead. The sales assistants are friendly and if you buy a few pairs of shoes, they'll even give you a discount (that is, if you manage to charm them enough).

La Perla at: Via De Condotti 79, Rome
    Wearing La Perla lingerie would make any woman feel sexy. But most importantly, it costs 40% cheaper to buy here vis-a-vis shopping in Asia (the worst country to shop in Asia is Japan. Everything is so expensive there!).

Missoni at: Via del Babuino 102, Rome
    I love, love, love Missoni! And the boutique is conveniently located right across the Spanish Steps.

What to buy: If you come from Asia (like me), most Italian designer clothings and shoes cost almost 50% more than what you would pay if you were to buy it in Italy. I am referring to big designer brands like Gucci, Ferragamo, Gianfranco Ferre, Gianni Versace et al.

So, if you ever see an Asian (Japanese or Chinese) shopping at Via Condotti or at Via Veneto like there is no tomorrow... you now know the reason why! ;-)

I usually bring along a half-filled luggage so that I can replenish most of my clothes and shoes when I'm in Italy.

Sometimes, my girlfriends give me a list of their shopping to do. That's fine for me. I don't mind shopping for them because I enjoy more discounts at these boutiques if I were to buy in bulk.

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

Women's Clothing: Shopping At Rome's Biggest Shopping Malls...

by Krystynn Written Jan 16, 2004

Gucci - one of my favorites

These shopping malls are worth checking out:

- Centro Commerciale La Romanina
    Address: Via Enrico Ferri, Roma, 00169

Touted as the biggest and most crowded shopping mall in Rome, this place sells everything! If you run out of cash, not to worry. There are banks and ATM machines where you can quickly withdraw your Euros. Hungry? Not to worry again. There are many cafes and restaurants to make you go dizzy ;-)

- Cinecittà Due
    Address: Via Vincenzo Lamaro, Roma, 00173

Another huge shopping mall which sells everything!

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

LA RINASCENTE: My Favorite Department Store In Rome!

by Krystynn Updated Jan 16, 2004

La Rinascente

La Rinascente is one of the most famous department stores in Italy and one of my favorite places to shop when I'm in Rome.

Usually I'll come to replenish my Princess Marcella Borghese face products and make-up. Yes, I am currently using this Italian brand and I must admit, I love their eye-mask best! Molto buono!

What to buy: Shoes, Women's and Men's clothes, Cosmetics.... Household products, designer wear etc. They sell everything here!

What to pay: Expect to pay department store prices and more (for designer products)...

• Designer Italian clothing: did you buy it from the back of a truck?

by miromi Written Oct 7, 2003

Ask around at your hotel or hostel, but there are plenty of small shops that offer Italian clothes at very low prices. I was sent to the center of town to investigate these bargain paradises.

What to buy: I know all the sweatshops are in Romania, but for some reason Italy is the place to go to get cheap designer clothing. Such good quality too! Everything seems to be sexy and clingy, so don't go overboard or you'll be mistaken for a transsexual.

What to pay: € 20,- to € 50,- for things. expect massive discounts.

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

OMAI Now Or Never: Great Italian gifts

by martin_nl Written Jun 4, 2003

OMAI logo

Most things for sale here are women's clothes but they also have a section with very nice gifts.

What to buy: For you mother or girlfriend/wife you can buy a beautiful shawl and for your father or boyfriend/husband you can buy espresso cups and beautiful mugs. Of course there are many other things, so take a good look around. Fantastic staff. There weren't enough espresso cups, so they called to the other OMAI shop in Rome and asked if they still had the cups, and they did. We thought we had to get the cups ourselves in the other shop, but one employee went on his scooter to bring us the cups, now that's what I call good service!! If you want to laugh ask them to wrap the cups and saucers as a present :D It takes ages but is really funny indeed!!!

What to pay: Shawls are 20 or 32 euro and the espresso cups with saucer are 7 euro.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo

Via Condotti: Money, money, money.........

by bugalugs Written Mar 16, 2003

The Via Condotti is famous for its designer shops. In fact I think you have to have lots of money before you can even enter some of these!!!

As shopping is my least favourite pastime I have never actually been in any shops along here, just strolled along.

It is here at No. 87 at the Cafe Greco where literists Goethe, Keats, Shelley, Byrom and Wagner used to hang out!

• anne_h's Profile Photo

Ethic: Clothes!

by anne_h Written Feb 18, 2003

This is my favorite clothes store in Rome. Nice, original clothes, not too expensive, and of good quality. You see a lot of the same stuff in shop windows in Rome--Italians are big on trends--but you can count on this store to have different things. I got a great red winter coat here.

• syllybabe's Profile Photo

Max Mara, Francesco Biasia, etc.: Leather Lover

by syllybabe Written Sep 9, 2002

The best part about shopping in Rome is that all the nice stores are in and around Via Veneto. As I previously mentioned in another page, I'm a shoes and bags freak (no, I'm not related to Imelda Marcos, but I am filipina ;-). I'm always in and out of every store that has shoes and bags in the display window and I'm always hunting for quality leather goods with or without the name brands.
    Among the more reasonably priced Italian brands are Francesco Biasia and Furla...both are fun and trendy and very well made.

What to buy: shoes, bags, more shoes, more bags...hehehe

What to pay: At least $100 for a handbag...Max Mara, at least $250

• Shopping in Italy

by brad33 Updated Jul 19, 2007

What to pay: If you are not European you can get a tax refund on many of your purchases in Europe. We got a stamp at customs and then let premier tax free do all the rest for us!

• Business Travel

• Scarlie's Profile Photo

Women's Clothing: Expensive!

by Scarlie Written Jun 22, 2007
    shopping in Rome

No, i don't recommend buying clothes in Rome... I just thought this shop epitomises shopping in Rome ;-)

Instant Answers: Rome