Roman Forum, Rome

4.5 out of 5 stars 241 Reviews

• Roman Forum
    by Ines_
  • Roman Forum with Arch of Septimus Severus
    Roman Forum with Arch of Septimus...
    by zadunajska8
    Inside the House of the Vestal Virgins
    by Jefie
  • monica71's Profile Photo

The heart of Ancient Rome

by monica71 Updated Jan 22, 2009

I have to admit that Roman Forum and its view from Capitol Hill was my favorite spot in Rome. I knew that this place was the host of all the main temples and halls of justice. I also knew that this was the political, religious and commercial center of the city, but nothing, in all the readings that I have done prior to my trip to Rome, prepared me for the surprise and the wonderful feeling I had once I laid my eyes on this site. My mind started to wonder and my imagination to run wild while I was walking the streets of this jewel and I was listening to the audio guide that I downloaded from Rick Steve's web site before leaving Chicago.

There is so much to do and to see here and you should plan your visit accordingly. You also need to make sure that you wear comfortable shoes (sneakers are best!) as streets are uneven and rocky. You will find several fountains scattered all over the place with really good water, just in case you get thirsty or you need to refill your water bottle (in case you carry one, like I always do).

Regardless of the bad weather (rainy, windy and cold most of the time of our visit), we ended up spending close to 4 hours visiting the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill and I still feel that I could have easily spent more time here. We had to make sure, though, that we had time to visit the Colosseum also during the same day since we decided to buy the Roma Card and this gave us admission to these sites for 1 day only. There are some advantages if you buy the Roma Card, so do your homework and decide if it's better to get the card or to get the individual ticket from the site.

The ticket (if you buy it from the ticket booth) costs 11 Euros and it gives you admission to Roman Forum, Palatine Hill and Colosseum for 2 consecutive days, one entry per site. If you decide to buy the ticket from one of the sites, then make sure you buy it from the Roman Forum entrance instead of the Colosseum. The lines are much shorter here and I think it is a good strategy to visit Roman Forum and Palatine Hill before going to the Colosseum.

My favorite things that we saw here: Caligula's Palace, the forum Main Square, Temple of Saturn and the House of Vestal Virgins.

inside the Roman Forum on a very cold & rainy day inside Roman Forum inside Roman Forum inside Roman Forum inside Roman Forum, getting a break from the rain

• zadunajska8's Profile Photo

Fantastic - but arrive early.

by zadunajska8 Written Nov 2, 2011

I was very pleasantly suprised by the Roman Forum. It had always been on our list of things to do in Rome but hadn't been our top priority. We did however visit it first thing in the morning on our first day as we had been told that the ticket for the forum could also be used to get in to the colosseum without so much queuing (this is true and I would strongly recommend doing this).
    The Forum covers quite a large area really with a large number of buildings (or rather the remains of buildings) on the site. I personally enjoyed the curia (with bronze doors dating from ancient Roman times still intact), the house of the vestal virgins and the Arch of Titus to be most impressive. The views of the colosseum from the Arch of Titus are well worth taking a photo of.
    I'm very pleased that we arrived very early. We got there about 15-20 minutes after opening and there were only 2 people ahead of us in the queue so we were in in no time at all. When we left a couple of hours later the queue was horrendous! Do go early.
    They have an audio guide available which was fairly pricey and you have to leave an item of ID (such as passport or drivers licence) with them as security. Don't bother with this. Whilst I don't doubt the accuracy of the information contained on the audio guide it was dry, boring and unengaging and we stopped using it within the first 20 minutes of our visit. take a good guide book with maps of the forum with you instead.

Via Sacra, Roman forum Roman Forum with Arch of Septimus Severus Colosseum and Arch of Titus Arch of Titus House of the Vestal Virgins

• Turska's Profile Photo

Forum Romanum

by Turska Updated Oct 12, 2008

A lot of ruins to see.We love to watch the ruins,but even if I love hot weather,it was hottet day at our Rome-trip,and after walking around Colosseum,we might have missed something here,because we run out of water,and had to leave earlier than we would have othervice.
    It was good to have a Rome pass,we jut walked in without staying in line.Lines were quite short anyway,if you came in from the Colosseum side.
    I have a link and describtion of Rome pass at my Colosseum-tip.

Deathplace of Nero-correct if I remember wrong

• jono84's Profile Photo

The vast Roman Forum

by jono84 Updated Aug 18, 2004

I found it good to view the patchwork quilt, that is the Forum, from the Capitoline Hill before embarking on the journey around its many gardens and ruins.

This way i could pick out a route through the virtual carnage of tour groups and crumbling statues and columns, to see the things i actually wanted to see, and to miss the things i didn't.......

Well-worth a atleast a passing glance is the Temple of Castor and Pollux (AD5), the Temple of Romulus (only the doors remain of the original AD4 building, but its now part of the Santi Cosma e Damiano standing behind it), the Vestal Virgins (8BC), the Temple of Vesta and the Basilica Julia (54BC).

The Basilica of Constantine and Maxeritius (3 large barrel vaults) was my favourite as its ruins are all that remain of the Forums largest building.

Entrances are at the Largo Romoloe e Remo, Via del Foro Romano, and also at the Arch of Titus on Via Sacra.

The Forum

• monorailgold's Profile Photo

personal tour of the forum

by monorailgold Updated Mar 18, 2007

One of my favorite things to do in Rome is to visit the forum. I love walking around, soaking up the ambiance and trying to imagine what it must have been like 2 thousand years ago. Well...I have found something that makes this even easier to do. I found a downloadable guide that I put on my ipod and took with me. I simply started where the tour said to start and followed it thru the forum. It gives great detail on the specific buildings, some of their history and some interesting information that you might not find in the guidebooks. Best of all, you can skip any part that doesn't interest you and continue on tho the next. I found it very easy to use and very interesting. The forum tour started at the top of the forum and worked its way to the colosseum. It was in two parts so you could easily stop for lunch or a soda before continuing. The name of the guides are: pocketvox. You can check them out at pocketvox.com. They cost 5 euros to download but each tour lasts about two hours and you do it at your own pace. If you don't want to carry a guidebook thru the forum then these are the guides for you.

• chiara76's Profile Photo

Forum Romanum

by chiara76 Updated Jan 11, 2006

One of the greatest places in Rome, in my opinion. You just have to see it during your trip. You can feel the history around you and close your eyes and listen to your own imagination and you can see the ancient Rome then...

Me on Forum Romanum. Arch of Septimius Severus on Forum Romanum. With the Temple of Saturn, Forum Romanum. The view of Forum Romanum. Column of Phocas. Forum Romanum.

• lina112's Profile Photo

Foro

by lina112 Updated May 12, 2006

The Foro was the comercial, politic and religious center of all Rome. Its situated on Capitolino and Palatino valley. On the Republic it was a tipical piazza but as that Roman Empire started to frofile, more buildings, temples and tribunals. It importance started to decline at the same time that Rome Empire, from century IV and its buildings buildt by emperors, senators and consuls were on ruins. On Renaissance, the forum was an inspiration fountain for artists and arquitects.

El foro era el centro comercial, politico y religioso de toda Roma. Esta situado en el valle capitolino y palatino. En la epoca de la Republica era una tipica plaza pero a medida que el imperio empezaba a perfilarse edificios, templos y tribunales. Su imporancia comenzo a decaer al mismo tiempo que el imperio romano a partir del siglo IV cuando sus edificios construidos por emperadores, senadores y consuls se fueron a la ruina. En el renacimiento, el foro fue una fuente de inspiracion para artistas y arquitectos.

Foro forum from the palatino

• stfan's Profile Photo

The old and the Beautiful!

by stfan Written Dec 8, 2004

It was the first thing that I saw in Rome. It was so big that I could only see a little bit but worth the time spent in there. Its so amazing that some of those buildings are still standing. You have to see this!

Free entrance but you can book guided tours!

Beautiful!

• MJB123's Profile Photo

The Birth of Civilization

by MJB123 Written Dec 27, 2004

No trip to Italy is complete without a visit to the Roman Forum. This is where much of the major events of history too place. Events which still resonate today. Over two hundred years ago, the founding fathers of America took the model of the ancient Roman Republic and drafted the Constitution of the United States based on its system.
    This is a funeral pyre of Julius Ceasar, and although he was the final assasin of the Republic (Marius and Sulla bear some responsibility too) his name lived on in Russia when rulers adopted the name "Tsar".

Good ridance!!

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

FORUM

by croisbeauty Updated Oct 9, 2014

No visitor cannot remain indifferent in front of the fact that Rome exist almost three thousands years now. Another amazing fact is that Rome had over million and a half inhabitants, while most of todays European capital towns reached that number only in the 20th century. The whole city structure was built of stone, streets included, and in accordance to the plan designed by the architects who's work reminded unequaled.
    In its original sense, word forum is a Latin origin and means a place-hole between three Roman Hills on which people traded, met each other or discuss politics.

• myrtle's Profile Photo

Roman Forum

by myrtle Written Nov 22, 2003

The Forum is where the ancient civilizations of Rome existed. All of the business was taken care of in this area. You can walk through the forum for free, and if you're lucky you'll find a free English speaking tour. They will accept tips at the end.

Roman Forum

• sniem's Profile Photo

Experience the ancient rome

by sniem Written Aug 22, 2003

I think a good place to start with the Fori Romani is from the capitol hill. First you see the monument for Vittorio Emmanuelle II and imagine how impressive the ruins in the fori romani where 2000 years ago. You also have a good overall view of the area from the hill.
    Be sure to take along a good guide book that explains the different buildings. Some books even have good pics with reconstructions what it used to be like.

View from the back of the capitol hill

• jeffmartinartist's Profile Photo

Tourist eavesdropping

by jeffmartinartist Updated May 29, 2005

Oh… come on we all do it. It’s fun listening in on other people’s conversations and there is nothing better than hearing someone say something really stupid.
    So… why the Foro Romano? Well it was here that I nearly chocked to death laughing after over hearing what has gone down in my travel diaries as the dumbest tourist comment yet.

I’ll set the scene…. a small boy holding his father’s hand is walking past two American tourists, a couple which I am behind. The child turns to his father and says something to his father in Italian. After a few meters the American woman turns to her partner and said,

“isn’t that cute…even the children speak Italian”

• alloquisha's Profile Photo

Walk the circumference in the early morning...

by alloquisha Updated Jul 18, 2004

Like I said in my intro, you can see a TON of the Forum without paying a single penny. Thanks to a loud, insomniac baby in the room next to ours, I got up at 6:00am one morning and decided to walk the perimeter of the Forum. It was absolute magic! Without the hordes, it was even peaceful and a wonderful chance to take some good photos.

Walking the perimeter takes awhile--if you do go in the morning, plan on taking two hours or so for a leisurely stroll with pastry sidetrip thrown in.

Forum Verticality

• Audio Walking Tour of the Roman Forum on your iPod

by thejake Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Roman Forum was the center of daily life in Rome, filled with temples, markets, courts and all kinds of other public buildings. Today, the Forum is little more than a few scattered rock piles, but with a little imagination and the help of an audio guide the glory of Rome unfolds at your very feet. In the Forum, you'll see the Roman Senate, where Rome’s finest citizenry met to decide the issues of the day, as well as the remains Rome's greatest temples including the Temple of Saturn, The Temple of Jupiter and the Temple of the Vestal Virgins. This tour is designed help you make sense of the rubble and recreate the story of Rome from the time when Caesar built it into the greatest city in the Empire until Nero watched it burn. A great resource for budget travelers. http://www.walki-talki.com/index.html

The Temple of Vesta

Instant Answers: Rome

• goodfish's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Update to previous post:
    http://www.coopculture.it/en/ is informing visitors, tour guides and school groups that for security reasons, backpacks, large handbags and luggage are not allowed inside the excavations at the Colosseum, Palatine and Forum in Rome. Actual dimensions of allowable bags has not yet been determined for these sites but have been recently restricted to 30x30x15 cm (abt 12 x 12 x 6") or smaller at Pompeii, Herculaneum, Oplonti, Stabia and the Museum of Boscoreale so that might be a good guidline until further notice.

Visitors to Rome are asked leave larger items at their hotel or check them at the left-luggage office at Termini. Additonally, if you have scheduled a tour at the Colosseum, Palatine and Forum, you're asked to arrive 30 minutes beforehand to ensure timely passage through security checks.

• goodfish's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2015 at 11:46 AM

1/16/2015: There appears to be a recent tightening of security at the Colosseum, Palatine and Forum. From the http://www.coopculture.it website for these three attractions:

"ATTENTION PLEASE! We inform visitors that inside the monument it is strictly forbidden to enter with backpacks, handbags and luggage. "

As there is no baggage check facilities at these attractions, it looks like you're going to have to visit these sites only with what can be carried in your pockets. I'll update this notice if new information proves otherwise.