Cafe Vaticano, Rome

by ArianaR
  • ArianaR's Profile Photo

Cafe Vaticano

by ArianaR Written Mar 19, 2006

No matter how hungry/thirsty you are avoid this Cafe which is located right across the street from the Vatican Museum. We walked right past a van selling delicious panini's and into the doors of this tourist trap. There were no signes listing prices. My husband orderd a small beer and some pasta (which was microwaved and served in a small plastic bowl), I had a tropicana fruit juice and all that only cost us 23 euros (equivalent to $28 or £15). I then walked back across the road to get my lunch from the van selling panini's, I had 1 barcardi breezer, 1 large panini filled with cheese and salami and a chocolate gelati for 8 euros (equivalent to $9.75 or £5.55). Besides being a lot cheaper it was really tasty.

• Karlie85's Profile Photo

Cafe Vaticano - Stay away!

by Karlie85 Written Jul 13, 2008

We went to Café Vaticano knowing that is was likely a tourist trap, considering it is directly across the street from the entrance to the Vatican Museum. However, we didn’t expect it to be as bad as it was. It’s a cafeteria style restaurant. You go up to the counter and order something that is already made and has probably been sitting there for who knows how long. The pasta we ordered got warmed up in the microwave and the salad was limp and warm. Then you go to the cash register to pay. Up until this point, I was so hungry I didn’t even realize that the price wasn’t posted anywhere, and to my surprise, two pastas, one salad and one water came to 29 Euros. The food itself tasted horrible, was served on plastic plates and was small portions. We should have known better, but the other restaurants we have eaten at in heavy tourist areas have never served such disgusting food at such outrageous prices. Even though I was starving, I would rather wait and go somewhere else than ever eat here again.

Instant Answers: Rome