Airports from & to Rome, Rome

Know about this? Rate It!

Cheaper way to get to the city of Rome
  • Airports from & to Rome
  • Airports from & to Rome
  • oRi_5's Profile Photo

Airport Shuttle Express

by oRi_5 Written Feb 14, 2012

We landed in Fiumicino airport and were planning to get the Leonardo Express Train to Termini Station (for €14) followed by the bus (for €1) to our hotel. We got to the Tourist Information/Ticket office at the train station in Fiumicino airport (in T3 level 1) and the guy at the desk asked us where we needed to go when we asked for the Train and bus tickets. He then said that if we use the Airport Shuttle Express it will cost us the same price (@ €15 each for 2 people), we have to wait less than for the train, travel less and get dropped off exactly at our door. It seemed like a good deal so we took it.

Leaving the airport we were put in a van together with another group of people who were dropped off before us at another hotel and then we were dropped off next. We found this very convenient - saved hassles of carrying luggage around, risking possible muggings and walking around aimlessly looking for our hotel. In fact we decided to use them for our return trip too.

They can be booked either online, or at the airport, or on a freephone number.

We would highly recommend this service - best and cheapest way to get to/from the airport for sure!!

• private taxi

by alvino20 Written Feb 1, 2012

For me ,
    marco1989 is best company for Rome Private Transfer from/to Fiumicino Airport or from/to Civitavecchia.
    Transportation is furnished by licensed insured professional drivers and vehicles, who are qualified to perform public transportation services all over Europe. They offer a very efficent service of car with driver.
    the email andress: gm89ncc@gmail.com

• bpwarne's Profile Photo

Fiumicino Airport to Rome Transfer by Terravision

by bpwarne Written Dec 19, 2011

Couldn't be easier. Walk out terminal and go right to Bus bay. Bus runs about every 30 - 45 mins. Direct, non stop to city center (Termini) and reverse. Nice, new, comfortable big buses. Only 4 euro/each if purchased in advance online, one of the best transportation deals I've found anywhere in Europe. Also available: Ciampino Airport to Rome, same price.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Getting to Rome

by croisbeauty Updated Nov 29, 2011

Rome is Italian capital but at the same time it is city of the world aswell. Many people from different parts of the world visiting it during the whole year, or dreaming to visit it one day. Those who know it well will gladly suggest never to visit the town in August, because of the heat and humidity. In fact, most of its citizens escaping from Rome during August and it is not because of Ferragosto only. If any possible visit Rome in May or early June.
    The quickiest way is to visit Roma by plain which will bring visitors to the airport of Leonardo Da Vinci, best known as Fiumicino. It is spacious airport with plenty of flights from all over the world.

train for the far platforms autostrada leading to Rome

• From Fiumicino to Rome center

by roonney Written Nov 24, 2011

- Leonardo Express train: Fm airport to termini every 30min. 14€ one-way. ALWAYS validate the ticket in the yellow machine.if you don't find it just ask.The fine is 50€.

-Shuttle buses: variety of prices. I found from 8€ one-way to 15€ round trip (SITBus Shuttle).

-FR 1 regional train:Fm airport to Roma Tiburtina station every 20min.(5.5€) From Tiburtina you can take the metro line B.

In my opinion Leornado express is convenient but overcharged and dirty.I prefer shuttle buses with reasonable prices.Ask for the price and for the duration of the journey before you take one.

SITBus Shuttle timetable Leonardo Express train SITBus Shuttle SITBus Shuttle timetable
    • Trains

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Getting to the Eternal City

by Laura_Mexico Updated Oct 17, 2011

How did I get there?? Well, since I live in Mexico I had no other choice but to get there by plane, as many of you will have to do as well :) The Fiumicino airport is about half an hour from the town, but there's the Leonardo Express train that takes you from the airport to Termini train/metro station (near downtown Rome and with lots of bus terminals) which run every half an hour and are very efficient & comfortable, and PUNCTUAL too! That is not very usual in the Roman (or rather Italian) transportation system ;) In fact on my very last trip I was able to catch a train only because it was running late.... but it's not the norm. However, keep in mind that after 9 PM (or maybe earlier) there's no one to buy the train tickets from at the airport terminal (outrageous, in my opinion) so you will have to get your ticket from a vending machine which does NOT take cash, only credit cards...!!!

If you're arriving from somewhere else in Europe, you may arrive at the Ciampino airport...... this one is small but still well furnished and organized, and you can get from the airport to Termini by bus+metro (take a COTRAL bus to the Anagnina metro station and then use the metro red line: it's about 13 stations from Anagnina to Termini). Same way if you want to go to the airport from Rome.

Nowadays there's another good alternative: there are shuttles that take you directly to Termini (by Via Marsala) from both airports and viceversa. I used the Terravision shuttle this time to go from Termini to the Fiumicino airport and I was very pleased with the service and the price.... Only 6 EUR for a one-way ticket (the Leonardo Express costs 14 EUR for a single ride)! The journey takes about 40-50 minutes but the buses are very punctual and they run very often; they are comfortable too. You can buy your tickets in advance and the staff will tell you which buses/times are more convenient for you to catch your flight on time. They usually allow for 3 hours before your flight in order to avoid any potential delays, but of course you can ride them closer to the departing time, under your own risk. You can also show up any time and just buy your ticket for the next available bus. They have a small office/lounge attached to the Termini station (next to the Despar supermarket) where they have internet access, a small cafeteria and tables & chairs for you to wait until your bus departs. This is where the bus schedules are displayed and where the tickets are sold.

If you travel by train you will most probably arrive into the Termini central train station, too. It's really huge and it connects Rome with most part of Italy and other destinations!

• dutchboycalledjan's Profile Photo

Taxi or train?

by dutchboycalledjan Written Jun 23, 2011

I rented a car with a driver to take us into the Centro Storico for euro 50, 2 persons and two large travelling bags. All went smoothly, he was waiting for us at the exit, took us to terminal 3 for the Roma Pass and delevired us within 45 minutes at the door of our self-catering appartement.

On the way back we decided to take the airport express. The fare was 14 euro per person and we needed two bus ticket (2 euro). It took about 90 minutes. It is a very long walk from the bus station to the platform (28 !) and there was a long queue at the ticket office half way. That's why you had better buy a ticket on line! I decided to return to the entrance hall and buy tickets from the machine there. With a little help from a kind beggar (1euro for a cup of coffee, pleae) I swiflty had the tickets. The is hard to get into and off with large bags, which is strange for a special, no stop train.

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Easy and Quick

by jlanza29 Updated May 21, 2011

A taxi to the center of Rome has been known to run about $100 Euro's with traffic....forget that and jump on the train to Termini Station if you fly in Leo Da Vinci's airport (the main international airport in Rome) where you could transfer to the metro, or catch a bus or even get a long distance train to other parts of Italy, make sure to validate your ticket if not you risk a big fine. And unfortunately be aware of pickpockets....they work in teams and target this train from the airport specifically !!!!! The round trip cost 15 Euro's and trains run every 15 minutes.

easy to take from the airport

• icunme's Profile Photo

NEWS FLASH-Fiumicino/Rome Extended Bus Service

by icunme Updated Apr 28, 2011

Have seen great feedback on VT forum re this SIT Bus Shuttle so looks like one of your best options!

As of October 2009, SITBus Shuttle began daily runs from Leonardo Da Vinci Airport (FCO) to Rome Termini Train Station and Piazza Cavour. SITBus Shuttle has long operated at Aeroporto Ciampino but now they’ve brought a new low-price option to FCO!
    Their buses begin their routes at 5 AM – another plus for early travelers as the Leonardo Express does not start until 05:52 AM.

LEONARDO EXPRESS train from FCO to Rome fare was just raised to 12 Euro - we took the Train on Dec 4, 2009 and that was the new fare.

Currently, there are 33 SIT runs during the day so this service is quite a viable option… and at only €8 a very reasonably priced option.
    The buses start from Rome at 05:00 AM and run TO the airport until 21:15. Coming from Fiumicino, the buses start at 07:00 and the last bus departs from the airport at 23:30 (The last Leonardo Express does leave at 23:36).
    GRAZIE, SITBus Shuttle!!

Look for this SITBus Shuttle
    • Business Travel

• ECYM's Profile Photo

The Leonardo Express

by ECYM Updated Apr 4, 2011

After your flight lands at Leonardo da Vinci Airport, Rome's main airport in Fiumicino, it is just a short train trip into the city. All it takes is the time to claim your luggage and then the Leonardo Express whisks you off to Rome's Termini Station in only 31 minutes.

The ride is comfortable and cabin is spacious. And the frequency of the train is every 30 mins. Convenient!

Each trip is 9.50 euro.

For timetable from Fiumicino Airport to Roma Termini, please refer here

Leonardo Express

• stressball's Profile Photo

Getting into Rome form Ciampino Airport

by stressball Updated Apr 4, 2011

There are several ways to get into Rome from Ciampino Airport. The cheapest way to go is by bus and metro....

When you leave the airport, walk across the street to your left and there is a bus stop for the Schiaffini buses (also Cotral). These buses cost 1 euro and will take you to Aganina station in about 30 minutes.

From Aganina station, you can take the metro to your destination.

• Study Abroad

• Malecka's Profile Photo

reaching Rome

by Malecka Updated Feb 3, 2011

Well, planes are the first choice. Two airports, Fiumicino (or Leonardo Da Vinci) and Ciampino (Ryanair for example flies to Ciampino, it's smaller but well connected to the city - there's a shuttle bus to Termini).

I've also traveled through Italy by train. (Venice-Rome-Florence-Milan-Verona), this was during a backpacking trip I took in 2001.
    If you're traveling through Italy, the ticket called Chilometrico is a nice choice (but have in mind you can only use the trains marked as R, IR and D, which are the slower ones - it didn't bother me). I think I can freely say that the train net-work in Italy (at least the part I have visited: the northern part and Rome) works pretty well. Just have in mind that the night-trains, which are always more "appealing" to back-packers can be really crowded.

• Airport shuttle service in rome

by Ataio Updated Jan 11, 2011

http://www.rome-airportshuttle.com/ has organised the Airport Transfer for our recent visit to rome. It was a great help and the drivers were very friendly. Our journey was swift and smooth . They have completely taken care of our need by providing satisfactory services to all of us.The return journey was equally good, with a lovely driver who arrived early this time .We will certainly recommend your company to our friends for future visits.

• berenices's Profile Photo

The Leonardo Express is no express

by berenices Updated Oct 4, 2010

The Leonardo Express is supposed to be the fastest way to go to and from the Fiumicino Airport. It takes about 35 minutes from Termini station and goes twice very hour. Fare is 14 euros per person. But don't be fooled, it is nowhere near express -- the distance betwen the airport and city center is only 26 kilometers, so the name is a complete misnomer. For 14 euros (supposed to be 1st class, with no other option -- though i didn't see anything 1st class about it), and for the travel time, this is rather an expensive ticket.

Tickets can be obtained at the Termini station in the machines near the main entrance, central door -- those machines with green markings on them. The Leonardo Express, however, is on a separate but adjacent terminal, at the very end of Termini station. If you have entered the main Termini entrance, that's on the right-hand side. From the Termini entrance, it is about 15 minutes of normal walking on the passage along the first track of the regular trains. This is a bit of a distance to walk, especially for the elderly -- a moving walkway is very much needed here!

Tickets have to be validated on the yellow boxes on posts just at the start of the track for the Leonardo. There is an info desk, but the woman there is very rude...you get the info you need, accompanied by a loud, irritated voice, pointed finger, and scowling face.

It is also possible to buy tickets online at the trenitalia website.

• Trains

• microsensazione's Profile Photo

Rome Fiumicino flights connections

by microsensazione Updated Jul 24, 2010

Hi!

I travel many times around Italy and I have often flight connections in Rome Fiumicino and many other airports.

Suppose you have flight A and B of the same flight company and your first flight delays and you miss the second flight. The flight company in this case must bring you till your final destination.
    This thing has happened more than one time to me. The last time happened in Mexico. The first flight from Monterrey to Mexico City delayed and I missed the intercontinental flight to Frankfurt. The second flight belonged to a different flight company (so it was a worst case than having flights A and B of the same flight company...). Well, the company of the first flight paid me one day in the awesome airport hotel of Mexico City and guaranteed a seat on the day after flight of the second flight company. :D
    The airport hotel of Mexico City has the swimming pool on the top with a good panorama over the airport airstrip. Why do I tell you this thing? Because I have a rule: I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS bring a swimsuit with me. It becomes very appreciated when those things happen! LOL ;D

So, one hour and half of "flight transfer" is usually calculated by the flight company to permit you to get off and reach the GATE (not the check-in) of the second flight. In your case you have not to do "check-in" and "safety check" again: only "transfer" you have to do. Of course, if you stop yourself to buy something into airport shops, well, the problem becomes yours. :D

I instead should recommend an IMPORTANT THING ABOUT ROME FIUMICINO...
    Statistics on my more than 30 flights with a connection in Rome Fiumicino showed me I have lost my luggage in about 30% of cases! Maybe I am very hapless but "statistics are statistics"!!!
    In those cases I had to follow the tedious procedure of "lost & found" but finally I have always found my luggage. :D
    It's FUNDAMENTAL YOU DON'T PUT INTO THE TRASH the portion of the flight ticket left to you during gate pass through!
    That's a recommendation: if possible, avoid to bring valuable objects into your luggage. ...and the swimsuit MUST be put ALWAYS on your hand baggage; ALWAYS attached with you!!! LOL ;D

Have a nice flight!