Taxis, Rome

Know about this? Rate It!

• Taxis
    by brendareed
    Taxis on Piazza del Risorgimento, Rome
    by SWFC_Fan
    taxi queue in front of Roma Termini
    by mccalpin
  • nyonnetti's Profile Photo

Taking a Cab, not so bad

by nyonnetti Updated Nov 15, 2007

"Rome is a city best seen on foot" is what I have read and readily agree with. However, there are times when you are just exhausted from walking but still want to go see the city. We took a taxi several times throughout our stay in Rome and found that not only was it inexpensive and convenient, it was also an experience in itself. The driving in Rome is absolutely crazy (Naples is worse) and being able to experience that from the perspective of being in the car was exciting and fun. Also, we almost always had a nice cab driver who would give us facts about places we would drive by in his broken English. Back to the inexpensive part: If you stay in the city center, you can pretty much spend no more than 7-10 Euro on a cab ride. It can be more at night as the base price may be a bit higher. This is also the case if you take a cab from the train station. However, this is no comparison to getting a cab in NYC. So in conclusion, I highly recommend this type of transportation when your feet are hurting or when you are lost, it is worth the money.

• calligal14's Profile Photo

Transportation from Airport to Rome

by calligal14 Written Nov 14, 2007

We needed transportation for 8 persons from Rome airport to Civitavecchia, Italy for cruise. Also from cruise to hotel in Rome and departure to airport for 4 different travel times. We contacted Stefano Costantini of Romecabs. After comparing other rates which were pretty much the same, we contracted with Stefano. They were exactly on time every time including suggesting where we should meet in the airport since we were all coming from different places in the US. We asked Sylvester, our driver, to take us to buy wine before checking in at the hotel in Civitavecchia, and he was very accomodating including ruling out the first place as too expensive. The vehicle was large enough for all our luggage also. We paid cash in e's and included a small tip. You could travel cheaper from airport to cruise port but certainly not as dependable or convenient.

• Seniors

• Rip off taxi drivers

by socheid Written Sep 12, 2007

Athens, Belgrade, Bucharest, Kaunas, Kiev, Krakow, Minsk, Moscow, Prague, Riga, Rome, Sofia, Warsaw, Zagreb.

Something all of these places have in common is no shortage of taxi drivers who see it as a divine right to rip off tourists. In Bucharest, Minsk and Moscow in particular it is utterly outrageous and if there is an honest taxi driver anywhere in these cities then I am yet to find them.

Some thing else each of these cities have in common is a well developed public transport system based on any of metro / tram / trolley bus. The public transport systems are simple, efficient, quick and inexpensive and provide a welcome alternative to the inevitable taxi driver rip off.

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

Taxi

by fairy_dust Written Sep 2, 2007

I've heard a lot of stories about taxi rip-offs but I never had any problems. At night, it's best to take a cab because the busses and metro don't run late and it can be dangerous to walk at night. If you're travelling with someone, just share the cost. But even in times when I took a cab on my own, the most I paid was around 10 Euros (from the Testaccio nightclubs to my hostel close to Termini).

• MaxLove's Profile Photo

Cab drivers take advantage

by MaxLove Written Jul 13, 2007

Cab drivers might take advantage of a tourist who doesn't know their way around. We got into a cab and the driver started heading in the opposite direction of our destination. We immediately reminded him where we wanted to go and pointed back in that direction and he turned around. I'm sure at that hour he wasn't too busy and thought he could make a couple extra bucks off of us. Needless to say he didn't get a tip.
    Always check to see where the meter is and that it is running when you get into a cab.

• bertioga's Profile Photo

Where are the taxis?

by bertioga Updated Jun 11, 2007

Taxis are few and far apart, in Rome as in any Italian city. Italian taxis do not stop if you wave at them, Italians telephone booking for a taxi maybe 15 minutes before they need it and taximeters start running BEFORE they arrive to pick passengers. In addition, there are half a dozen places where taxis park: like in front of the train station. That is why your hotel porter will offer to get a taxi for you, if you just walk out of your hotel, you will not find a taxi.

• JoanneR46's Profile Photo

Rome Cabs

by JoanneR46 Written Apr 29, 2007

I used Rome Cabs to take me from the airport to Rome and back a week later to the airport. The service was very reliable, the driver was waiting for me when I landed. Arrived a few minutes before the pick up time to take me exactly to where I needed to be to return to the U.S.

I'm sixty, to tired to lug luggage on a train, then find transportation at the terminal to where I am staying.
    Of all the different transportations I've used in various cities, I like these folks the best. They are 5 stars in my book.

My opinion and I found their services surfing the web.

• GiorgioVRitaly's Profile Photo

Very good private taxi service in Rome

by GiorgioVRitaly Updated Feb 10, 2007

I used this service some years ago for several months, traveling every week to Rome.
    The service was always great and I gave this info to a lot of other friends in the past.

Since I'm reading here a lot of posts regarding price and safe transport (expecially from women that are traveling alone) from Roma airports - Fiumicino and Ciampino - and other posts regarding daily tours around Rome or transport to Civitavecchia or Napoli, I contacted the company and I hope to help the VT travelers with my infos:

from Roma Fiumicino or Ciampino to downtown EUR 44,00
    from Roma to Civitavecchia EUR 130,00

ask for other services: e-mail camorservice@tin.it
    quoting flight number and air company and the airport
    Fiumicino = FCO
    Ciampino = CIA

Someone can find the prices more expensive than a taxi but I think that the service (the driver will wait you into the airport) is good and safe.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Taxi

by croisbeauty Written Jan 7, 2007

Roma taxi

Most of the time I used taxi to get into the city centre and back to my hotel. It wasn't easy task to get taxi in this days coz besides tourists many locals used it aswell. Another thing, you can take ride from the taxi terminal only, most of the taxis ignore your attempt to stop them out on the street even if free. Fact is, there are approx. 6.000 taxi-cars in Rome and in a normal days this number is more than suficient but not during such a special occasions like New Year is when city crowded by the tourists. I usually paid approx. 10 euros to get city centre from via Aurelia.
    If you are not used on speed ride inside the city area with huge traffic, do not use taxi in Rome.
    Another awarning; beware of "wild" taxi service, cost 50 to 100% more than the regular service.

• Taxis

by cotinara Written Nov 27, 2006

Taxis are easy to find. Make sure they are legit and prior to getting into said taxi talk about what the price should be. Some taxi drivers are still not following the new rule. To and From the airports into ROme costs only 40 Euro. It is a new law and must be abided. An information desk gave us a brochere that he told us to show the taxi driver were to swindle us for money which thankfully never happened. So just be sure you know that.

Also, at the airport there is a really great car service we used that picked us up at 330 in the morning and was great. It was 35 Euro during the day.

• mop1010's Profile Photo

Rip off taxis

by mop1010 Written Oct 13, 2006

Watch out for the rip off taxi drivers, they charge a small fortune and me and the misses got stung big time. Expecially leaving the airport and getting to the hotel. Book a transfer or do it online with an italian airport taxi firm. We paid 60 euros getting to our hotel and going back to the airport with a proper taxi firm we paid only 15. So watch yourself and make sure its legit

• Dutch1980's Profile Photo

Taxi at Termini train station

by Dutch1980 Updated Aug 21, 2006

If you are at the central train station and you can't get the metro don't take the taxi that is offered to you.
    Also go to the main entrance of the train station ( there is also an small back entrance)

At the main entrance just observe the taxi's and soon you will find the good taxies.
    As the arive and drop people of just ask them, they drive on the meter and they are half as expensive as the taxi's that are offered to you ( these illigal taxi's charche to much)

have fun in Rome

• Trains

• monorailgold's Profile Photo

taxi's

by monorailgold Updated Jun 24, 2006

Hailing a cab in Rome is not like it is in New York city. Cabs have to queue at specific places. You cannot hail one from the street but must go to the cab stand in order to get one. Even if the cab is empty they are not allowed to pick you up. When you get to the cab stand, get the first one in line. Before you get in tell the cabbie where you would like to go. They will understand where you want to go because they get so much tourist business. At that point you can ask what the expected fare wil be and decide if you want to take the cab. The legal cab fares will all be the same, the "fake" cabs just make up their own fares. Make sure the cabbie actually turns on the meter when you get into the cab. (the fake ones wait until the end of the ride and try to charge you quadruple what it should be).
    If you are at a hotel, the doorman can hail you a cab. If you are out and about and need a cab (and cant find a cab stand) go to the nearest large hotel. Ask the doorman to hail you a cab. You can also ask him what you should expect to pay. He can give you a ballpark figure. You can also ask him to tell the cabbie where you want to go. Don't forget to tip the doorman for this service. Usually I round up the cab fare for the cabbie as well, depending on the service.

• Josimarsz's Profile Photo

Watch out for unlicensed taxis!

by Josimarsz Updated Jun 19, 2006

I have just got back from Rome. When I arrived at the Termini Station as part of my onward hotel journey, I stood in the queue for a white taxi. Someone wearing a badge was overseeing the queue and organising taxis. He asked us where we were going then started trying to organise a taxi. We waited a few moments then he brought someone over who was going to give us a ride. He took us to his car, which was parked across the road. It was blue and very scruffy, but we got in anyway. I was rather dubious and asked how much this wa going to cost. He sidestepped the question and when we arrived at our destination on the Pinetta Sanchetti, he asked us for €20 ................. EACH!! (there were 4 of us)
    I refused to pay him and offered him €40 and said he could take it or leave it. After much arguing he flounced off in a fit of pique and told me to keep my money.
    On our way back from our hotel to Termini Station, the hotel ordered us a gleaming white cab. The price? €20!
    Also invest in a weekly or 3 day underground ticket. These were such good value! €11 for 3 days, € 16 for the week (or was it 6 days?) without limitations on the number of times they can be used. (watch out for pickpockets on the underground though)

• jungles's Profile Photo

Taxis and how to avoid getting ripped off

by jungles Written May 28, 2006

There are un-official taxi drivers hustling for your business as soon as you step out of the airport or train. I do not suggest using these drivers. Registered taxis generally do not go out to hustle business, and are available at the designated Taxi Stands around the city and at the airport. Look for the white cars with the 'Commune di Roma' sticker on the side. A taxi ride across Historic Rome should not cost anymore then €8 or €10. A taxi from the airport is usually between €40 and €50. There are frequent stories of official Commune di Roma Taxi's charging €25 for a ride from the Termini train station to a hotel located 3 blocks away. A good way to avoid this from happening is, when you get into the cab, simply look at the meter; it should read €2.33, or €3.36 if it is a Sunday or Festival Day. If the driver knows that you are reading the meter, usually honesty prevails. The driver must press a button on the meter when you arrive. Watch and make sure the button that he presses does not make the fare bump up. This is a common trick, and they will say it is a"tarif" charge. Simply refuse to pay it, or mention calling the police. The driver will quickly change his mind. It is standard for the driver to charge an extra €1 for each bag that he has to load into the trunk, and a 10% tip is expected. Also, an honest and affordable, flat rate airport shuttle service is available at: www.romashuttle.com.

• Business Travel
    • Seniors

Instant Answers: Rome

• mccalpin's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2013 at 5:36 PM

John, I have copied your comment to the Florence Answer Forum (forum.virtualtourist.com/Flo..., so that a lot more people will see it.

To follow that forum automagically, you can either go to that posting and click on "follow" on the upper right of the thread, or just make any sort of response like "thanks" or "the photos are on my homepage", and you will be set to follow (i.e., see notices of responses) automatically.

This Comments feature that you used is actually pretty new to VT and we are still wrestling on how to use it...however, your question is perfectly normal for the Travel Forums, and you will find that others will also respond...

Bill

• JohnP179's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Hello,

I am trying to find out how to file a complaint against a taxi company in Florence. The company name was Roma35.

I am in Florence with my wife on our honeymoon. We stayed for a few days at an agriturismo in Fiesole. We just took a taxi from the train station at Santa Maria Novella, and everything was great. We were charged a fare of €31, which seems very fair.

After that we took a taxi back to the city center to stay for a few days. The owner of the agriturismo called the taxi for us - it was the Roma35 company. He arrived and immediately had the tariff #2 on. I had previously read that #2 was reserved exclusively for highway travel (which we were not doing) so I asked the driver about it. He said it was for special charges since he had to come out to Fiesole (even through I believe they were based in Fiesole). He also had €8.31 set in supplemental charges - which seemed high since we only had 2 bags. When we entered the city center, I asked him if it should not be switched from tariff #2 to tariff #1 - and he looked at me but did not respond.

I was also tracking our trip on my GPS device win our route to the hotel all planned out. He did not realize it, however, because he diverted from the route four separate times to take numerous backstreets that basically drove us around in circles. When there was clearly a Main Street that led directly to the place we were going, he would turn off to avoid it.

When he finally dropped us off, the meter read €55.61. I gave him €70 (a €50 bill and a €20). I knew we had been ripped off so I asked for a receipt. He handed me a €10 back. I told him that the meter said €55, and why was he charging me €60. He said "because it coats more to come back" and drove off. So we ended up paying literally double the cost to get back as we did to get there.

I have photos of the taxi's license plate and tag number. Please help me figure out who to send this to.

John

• mccalpin's Profile Photo
      Mar 17, 2013 at 5:39 PM

heh, heh, even I didn't "reply" to your post, but made a new post, so that new post may not have notified you :-(...OK, this will give you a notice...read the new comment above, or go straight to forum.virtualtourist.com/Flo... and see the discussion there...p.s., please manually "follow" that thread (button on the upper right) or make any sort of response there and you will follow it (be notified of any replies) automagically... Bill

• alza's Profile Photo
      Mar 17, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Here's a link in English to a taxi coop founded in Rome & functioning throughout Italy. May ring a bell.

... I see a new travel post was started on this, I'll go post a reply there too.

My search produced a list of results, this one (3570.it) showed up as
      Radiotaxi 3570 Roma, close enough to be worth mentioning to you.
      There's a tab to submit a complaint.