Taxis, Rome

Know about this? Rate It!

• Taxis
    by mccalpin
  • STEFZAMM's Profile Photo

TAXI

by STEFZAMM Written Apr 5, 2006

Taxis are not cheap but very convenient especially after dinner when you can just ask the waiter for a taxi, they have some sort of device which we don't have in my country, where they can book and call a taxi for you, and taxis usually come in a second for you.

• directrome's Profile Photo

get a limo from airport to city centre!

by directrome Written Dec 24, 2005

Besides the public transportation and taxis there are also some private shuttle companies that provide an efficient airport shuttle service operating 7 days a week between Rome and the main airports (Fiumicino airport and Ciampino Airport).
    For the same or less price then a taxi you will get luggage assistance and the
    drivers will wait for you at the exit from the customs hall inside the airport terminal. Drivers will hold a sign with the passenger name written on and help with baggage.
    one reliable company is www.directrome.com

• Seniors
    • Business Travel

• Marpessa's Profile Photo

Taxi

by Marpessa Written Oct 24, 2005

I only used a taxi service once while in Rome, because I was out at night and didn’t want to walk near Roma Termini in the dark on my own. I was worried it was going to cost me a lot. But a trip that took me about 7mins cost me around 6€, I think. My driver was really nice, she didn’t speak much English, but I was able to give her the address of my hostel and she did take the shortest route there (was worried I might have been taken ‘the long way round’ – but no, not in this case :) ). Taxi’s are very comfortable and the cars I saw all looked pretty new. Only use the ‘official taxi’s’ – they should be white cars with a taxi sign on the roof.

Also there is an extra fee (surcharge) for taking a taxi between 10pm and 7am, and also a fee baggage (suitcases, etc.).

• Singles

• baronedivandastad's Profile Photo

Airport Limo service

by baronedivandastad Written Apr 23, 2005

That's actually my car. Theirs are larger.

I never use white taxis, drivers tend to be rude, cars dirty, fares are a rip-off, credit cards unknown and they even charge you when you are stuck in the traffic.
    CoopAirport runs an excellent fixed-price limo service (I think it's 45 euros to the centre but I'm not sure as I live nearer the airport and pay only 35). They accept credit cards, speak hand-English (they move their hands so foreigners understand :o), help you load and unload luggage and you can easily fit four people in one of their larger cars (they also operate 7-seater minivans).
    You can book a car on arrival by calling or by just visiting their stand at Terminal A arrival hall (right in front of the luggage hall exit). I think they close at 10 pm so if you arrive later than that you'd be best calling them in advance and they'll have a car waiting for you.

• IIGUANA's Profile Photo

Taxis

by IIGUANA Written Feb 28, 2005

Taxis are very expensive in Rome, considering the short distance they travel. They're much more expensive than in Madrid or Paris, so beware of them. Sometimes it's best to walk if you're in a budget. Also, being Rome such a narrow-street city, taxis often take a long time to reach where you want to go, because they can't go in all of the streets or because the heavy traffic the city has.

• Kaazmar666's Profile Photo

Taxis in Rome

by Kaazmar666 Written Sep 19, 2004

Don't waste your time with taxis that do not say "Radio Taxi" anywhere on the outside of the car. These are generally UNAUTHORIZED and OFF-METER so you will end up "striking a deal" with the driver and essentially get ripped off. They will be pushy and even try to convince you that you're lucky to even find him, but just say "No, grazie," smile and move on.

• Don't be afraid to use taxis

by Vallelde Written Aug 30, 2004

We really did a lot of walking in Rome but during the heat when we had done our sightseeing and wanted to get back to the hotel or to some where else fast (and cool!) we took a taxi. You can hail them yourself or they tend to hang around tourist attractions. Several times we went into a hotel lobby and asked the desk to call us one! We always had polite drivers and from one side of the city to the other it was never over ten dollars and that included a tip. We found the buses very confusing....certain bus stops only service certain destinations. Confusing and there was a slight language barrier. We opted for the ease and conveninece of a taxi and were glad we did.

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Roman Taxis

by Jmill42 Written Mar 6, 2004

Roman Taxis

Initially, I took taxis to get around Rome, just because I wasn't brave enough yet, this being the first stop on my trip, and first time overseas. Boy did I learn quickly. you want to avoid taxis in Rome at all cost. And I do mean cost. They are so much more expensive than public transport, that they should only be used if you are in an extreme hurry, or if you have loads of luggage. Otherwise, the public transport might not look the best, but it always get you there eventually. Additionally, as in all major tourist spots, they can and will try to rip you off by charging you extra baggage fees, the wrong fares, etc. etc. Just be aware.

• phred1910's Profile Photo

Hotel Shuttles

by phred1910 Updated Jul 9, 2003
    The Magic Bus

I chose a hotel that had a free shuttle to/from the airport and to/from the Termini and the Piazza Venezia. This cut down on both the cost and alleged risk of Italian taxis.

It really worked out quite well, as we were able to travel on the hour in airconditioned comfort, rather than taking our lives into our hands in a crazed taxi driver.

• tvor's Profile Photo

Traffic lights are a suggestion

by tvor Written Mar 26, 2003

Cabs in Rome, well all cars really, are small. There are taxi ranks which are the best place to catch a cab as there are rogue drivers out there. You can ask how much it will cost to get to a certain place before you get in.

Four of us took a taxi to St. Peter's Square one morning and the journey was like a Disney thriller ride! The cab driver swooped in and out of traffic, just like all the other drivers, and then got in to a hollering match with a well dressed man on a scooter. We did pick up a few handy Italian insults to keep in mind for future use LOL! In the end the scooter driver spit over his shoulder at the cab driver with a few hand gestures but the wind caught him and it landed all over his nice leather jacket. We all were in puddles of laughter over that.

It was, i think, a typical cab journey but other journeys we took were less eventful. A cab ride from the hotel in an outlying area of rome to the center was at the time 24,000 Lira which was about $24 Canadian at the time. It's now all euros so i can't say what the prices would be like now.

• taxi!

by Globies Written Feb 23, 2003

If you need a taxi from Stazione Termini, go to the official taxistand. The queues are long but go very quickly. Taxis are not very expensive and, as far as we have experienced, take you to from A to B in the shortest of time. Unlike taxis in Amsterdam, where they think you do not know the way in your own hometown...

• Taxi to the airport

by Clareyqc Updated Feb 5, 2003

Make sure that if someone orders you a taxi to or from the airport that they are clear exactly what airport you are going to. The reason being is that the reception at the hotel i stayed at wrongly advised the taxi firm to go to the wrong airport.. i.e. there are 2 and not 1 airport in Rome.
    Only due to us realising by looking at the signpost we realised. And when we told the taxi driver he was trying to charge us 20 euros more even though the taxi was well over the price it should have been in the first place. It didn't help that he couldn't speak a word of english and i only knew a small amount of italian.. Because we refused to pay the extra amount he threatened to throw us out of the cab on a motorway and then drove us down some country lanes off the main route - thankfully these were only scare tactic to get us to pay for the extra fare. I am very relieved to be here now to warn people about this as we could have been less fortunate..
    Flights like ryanair offer buses services to and from the airport this works out a lot cheaper and also a lot safer. Although i appreciate this isn't always practical.

• paulapes's Profile Photo

Taxis----my nemesis!

by paulapes Written Dec 21, 2002
    The Dreaded Taxi

Taxi drivers...what more can I say? They get the best of me most of the time...probably because I am either tired or just not paying attention. BUT, I think I've got the hang of it now...don't take a taxi from the street, have your hotel or a local call one for you---you'll have a better chance of getting a decent rate. Good Luck! :o)

Instant Answers: Rome

• mccalpin's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2013 at 5:36 PM

John, I have copied your comment to the Florence Answer Forum (forum.virtualtourist.com/Flo..., so that a lot more people will see it.

To follow that forum automagically, you can either go to that posting and click on "follow" on the upper right of the thread, or just make any sort of response like "thanks" or "the photos are on my homepage", and you will be set to follow (i.e., see notices of responses) automatically.

This Comments feature that you used is actually pretty new to VT and we are still wrestling on how to use it...however, your question is perfectly normal for the Travel Forums, and you will find that others will also respond...

Bill

• JohnP179's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Hello,

I am trying to find out how to file a complaint against a taxi company in Florence. The company name was Roma35.

I am in Florence with my wife on our honeymoon. We stayed for a few days at an agriturismo in Fiesole. We just took a taxi from the train station at Santa Maria Novella, and everything was great. We were charged a fare of €31, which seems very fair.

After that we took a taxi back to the city center to stay for a few days. The owner of the agriturismo called the taxi for us - it was the Roma35 company. He arrived and immediately had the tariff #2 on. I had previously read that #2 was reserved exclusively for highway travel (which we were not doing) so I asked the driver about it. He said it was for special charges since he had to come out to Fiesole (even through I believe they were based in Fiesole). He also had €8.31 set in supplemental charges - which seemed high since we only had 2 bags. When we entered the city center, I asked him if it should not be switched from tariff #2 to tariff #1 - and he looked at me but did not respond.

I was also tracking our trip on my GPS device win our route to the hotel all planned out. He did not realize it, however, because he diverted from the route four separate times to take numerous backstreets that basically drove us around in circles. When there was clearly a Main Street that led directly to the place we were going, he would turn off to avoid it.

When he finally dropped us off, the meter read €55.61. I gave him €70 (a €50 bill and a €20). I knew we had been ripped off so I asked for a receipt. He handed me a €10 back. I told him that the meter said €55, and why was he charging me €60. He said "because it coats more to come back" and drove off. So we ended up paying literally double the cost to get back as we did to get there.

I have photos of the taxi's license plate and tag number. Please help me figure out who to send this to.

John

• mccalpin's Profile Photo
      Mar 17, 2013 at 5:39 PM

heh, heh, even I didn't "reply" to your post, but made a new post, so that new post may not have notified you :-(...OK, this will give you a notice...read the new comment above, or go straight to forum.virtualtourist.com/Flo... and see the discussion there...p.s., please manually "follow" that thread (button on the upper right) or make any sort of response there and you will follow it (be notified of any replies) automagically... Bill

• alza's Profile Photo
      Mar 17, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Here's a link in English to a taxi coop founded in Rome & functioning throughout Italy. May ring a bell.

... I see a new travel post was started on this, I'll go post a reply there too.

My search produced a list of results, this one (3570.it) showed up as
      Radiotaxi 3570 Roma, close enough to be worth mentioning to you.
      There's a tab to submit a complaint.