Taxis, Rome

• Taxis
    by Avieira67
    Taxis on Piazza del Risorgimento, Rome
    by SWFC_Fan

Know about this? Rate It!

• paulapes's Profile Photo

Taxis----my nemesis!

by paulapes Written Dec 21, 2002

Taxi drivers...what more can I say? They get the best of me most of the time...probably because I am either tired or just not paying attention. BUT, I think I've got the hang of it now...don't take a taxi from the street, have your hotel or a local call one for you---you'll have a better chance of getting a decent rate. Good Luck! :o)

The Dreaded Taxi

Instant Answers: Rome

• mccalpin's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2013 at 5:36 PM

John, I have copied your comment to the Florence Answer Forum (, so that a lot more people will see it.

To follow that forum automagically, you can either go to that posting and click on "follow" on the upper right of the thread, or just make any sort of response like "thanks" or "the photos are on my homepage", and you will be set to follow (i.e., see notices of responses) automatically.

This Comments feature that you used is actually pretty new to VT and we are still wrestling on how to use it...however, your question is perfectly normal for the Travel Forums, and you will find that others will also respond...

• JohnP179's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I am trying to find out how to file a complaint against a taxi company in Florence. The company name was Roma35.

I am in Florence with my wife on our honeymoon. We stayed for a few days at an agriturismo in Fiesole. We just took a taxi from the train station at Santa Maria Novella, and everything was great. We were charged a fare of €31, which seems very fair.

After that we took a taxi back to the city center to stay for a few days. The owner of the agriturismo called the taxi for us - it was the Roma35 company. He arrived and immediately had the tariff #2 on. I had previously read that #2 was reserved exclusively for highway travel (which we were not doing) so I asked the driver about it. He said it was for special charges since he had to come out to Fiesole (even through I believe they were based in Fiesole). He also had €8.31 set in supplemental charges - which seemed high since we only had 2 bags. When we entered the city center, I asked him if it should not be switched from tariff #2 to tariff #1 - and he looked at me but did not respond.

I was also tracking our trip on my GPS device win our route to the hotel all planned out. He did not realize it, however, because he diverted from the route four separate times to take numerous backstreets that basically drove us around in circles. When there was clearly a Main Street that led directly to the place we were going, he would turn off to avoid it.

When he finally dropped us off, the meter read €55.61. I gave him €70 (a €50 bill and a €20). I knew we had been ripped off so I asked for a receipt. He handed me a €10 back. I told him that the meter said €55, and why was he charging me €60. He said "because it coats more to come back" and drove off. So we ended up paying literally double the cost to get back as we did to get there.

I have photos of the taxi's license plate and tag number. Please help me figure out who to send this to.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo
      Mar 17, 2013 at 5:39 PM

heh, heh, even I didn't "reply" to your post, but made a new post, so that new post may not have notified you :-(...OK, this will give you a the new comment above, or go straight to and see the discussion there...p.s., please manually "follow" that thread (button on the upper right) or make any sort of response there and you will follow it (be notified of any replies) automagically... Bill

• alza's Profile Photo
      Mar 17, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Here's a link in English to a taxi coop founded in Rome & functioning throughout Italy. May ring a bell.

... I see a new travel post was started on this, I'll go post a reply there too.

My search produced a list of results, this one ( showed up as
      Radiotaxi 3570 Roma, close enough to be worth mentioning to you.
      There's a tab to submit a complaint.