Train Stations, Rome

Know about this?

• silentfish193350's Profile Photo

Before the train leaves Roma Tiburtina station

by silentfish193350 Updated Jul 5, 2014

8.a.m on the June 13-2014: I arrived at Roma Tiburtina station. got onto the Florence-bound Italo train and put my bag on the rack of coach number 6. When the train was still standing at the platform, a man (tall and not very dark) passing by our seats. From nowhere some Euro coins were seen on the coach floor. The same man was asking around whose coins had been dropped. All of us were looking down on the coach floor, without noticing that the longchamp orange bag on the rack (containing a video camera, clothes and indispensable drug dosages for my two- day trip to Firenze) were stolen, obviously by an accomplice of the man.

Lesson learned: Keep a close watch of your bag/suitcase, particularly when the train remains in the platform minutes before leaving the station. These are vulnerable moments as the train steward(s) cannot be in every coach.

PS: On the way back on another train, we saw two men asking an old non-Italian tourist for a change and a police who happenned to be on the site was saying "no money here" to drive off the men.

Thanks for reading.

• larsy's Profile Photo

NIGHT TRAINS- OK everyone...

by larsy Updated Sep 14, 2005

NIGHT TRAINS- OK everyone knows they are not as safe as daytime trains, but it is they are convenient. Well me and my four friends get a cabin and are ready to sleep when Mr.18 year old Italian with white shorts freak comes in and practically sits on my friend. We speak 2 words of Italian and he speaks English about as well. We tell him we are going to sleep and he wont leave us (There were PLENTY of empty cabins) we whip out the guide book and uses the women defense page (serious) and tell him my friend has an an infectious disease (she did have a rash on her leg) this does not faze him, he was disgusting. After we ignore him he leaves....Only to return and do some 'exotic dancing' pelvic thrust in our door which he is blocking. A minute of this goes on so I MACED him (OK I did not MACE him I sprayed him with some Saniguard) My friends thought he was going to murder me but we pushed him out into the hall and all of us had to pull the door closed. Then we had to DUCT TAPE the door shut with about 20 pieces (it really worked when he tried to come in later in the night) When the ticket taker came for our tickets we had to spend 5 minutes untaping the door but when we told him we had been harassed he asked if it had been the guy with the white shorts. He had been harassing all the women in the train and he thought we were pretty clever with the duct tape.

• bip_231's Profile Photo

Termini after dark

by bip_231 Written Oct 1, 2008

We travelled into Rome from the outlying town of Valmontone, by train. I'll be honest and say that the Statzione Termini, whilst being modern and bright, is the one place that I didn't feel safe during our trip to Rome. Arriving was simple, just head out to the Piazza Cinquecinto, and head for either the bus, taxi or tour buses as we did.

However, when we arrived back at the station to catch our train back to Valmontone, it was about 8pm, and dark. The station was relatively busy, but there were quite a few shady looking characters wandering around. We decided to head for the cafe/restaurant upstairs until our train came in. Overall, it's not the place to be hanging around at the best of times, and more so at night. Keep your wits about you, and use your common sense.

• Termini at night

by Srechko Written Nov 6, 2005

I had an unconvinient situation where I arrived to Rome Termini at 1 am and my flight back to Canada was at 7:30 am. So I had to find a transport to the Fiumicino airport. Termini station closes over night and there is no way to obtain any kind of information at that time. Of course you can always get a cab and pay 50E for the ride. However I heard that there is the night bus that takes you directly to the airport. Problem here is that the stop is difficult to find. It is hard to find someone suitable to ask for directions as at this time only people hanging around Termini are cab drivers and bums. Luckily I run into a guy that was very friendly and he explained to me where the bus stop is.

• jennifer99's Profile Photo

although I never encountered...

by jennifer99 Written Aug 25, 2002

although I never encountered any problems- its well known that the station termini (sp) is a tourist trap for pickpockets, or young kids begging for money..also when buying from street vendors- you might feel harrassed, best to ignore them without eye contact- I found it was not easy to avoid them, but the 'talk to the hand' method works too.

• Cheewa's Profile Photo

Cuidado con las gitanas......

by Cheewa Written Aug 24, 2002

Cuidado con las gitanas... quisieron afanarnos apenas llegamos. Se nos pusieron alrededor con diarios y mapas y Jero se avivó justo cuando una estaba manoteando algo de la mochila.

Las muy perras estaban afanando junto a los hijos chiquitos...

BEWARE with THIEVES in the TRAIN STATION and Subway STATIONS. They Try to robber me and my friend!
    They use children and aproach to u with some questions, then, they try to robber. BEWARE

• Just a tip...

by CDNgirl Written Aug 24, 2002

Just a tip, when you get off the train and are heading out the exit, avoid the rush of hotel people!! They tell you about their great hotel(and I'm sure its great!) and faster than you can say 'no thank you', they've put you in a cab to who-knows-where. Get a reservation before leaving, or at least phone at the train station, and walk right through them!!

• gema's Profile Photo

Don´t walk around at night...

by gema Written Aug 24, 2002

Don´t walk around at night nearby the station Termini!!!Only if you have a lucky star, good running feet and if U are in risk mood like... ME in 1993, then you can survive there. Uhm...
    God, I did RUN fast during these roman nights...

• Termini by night

by SallyAnne99 Written Apr 4, 2005

I stayed in a hostel near the termini so i had no choice but to walk around the termini area late at night. Walking back to the hostel involved ignoring annoying men trying to speak to me and my sister. This plan worked we just sped up and walked past them and they left us alone. Another option is to trip over a moped and make an idiot of yourself that soon made the scary man leave us alone.

• lotharscheer's Profile Photo

Ticket vending machines in Roma Termini

by lotharscheer Written Sep 10, 2010

If you pay there with a bank card or credit card you might get a error message and no ticket, but the money gets charged to your account (it was the touch screen variety).
    Better use them with cash. Might be also on other trainstations.

Roma Termini Roma Roma Roma Roma
    • Trains

• De fiumicino a Termine

by Gustavo123 Updated Feb 1, 2011

Despues de llegar desde Viena, me pareció un buena idea tomar un tren desde el aeropuerto hasta Termine ya que sabía que mi hotel no estaba muy lejos de Termine.
    Mi primera desilusión fue el alto costo de los tickets de tren luego que la máquina expendedora funcionara mal y me "trago" 20 Euros, además de darme solo un recibo por 8 Euros cuando quise cancelar la operacion, considerando que mi primer billete no habia sido registrado (La máquina decia que hasta 9 Euros daba vuelto) y el muy pobre estado de limpieza de los mismos.
    Al llegar a Termine, el tema fue aún peor pues me encontre con una muy oscura estación, sin mayores indicaciones hacia donde debía ir.
    Tenía la dirección del hotel, pero ningun mapa ni donde adquirirlo.
    Como venía con algo de equipaje decidí tomarme un taxi, aun sabiendo que los taxis podian ser caros.
    Si bien me ofrecieron taxis inmediatamente en la salida del tren, no los acepté considerando que podian estafarme y busque uno en su parada a la salida de la estación.
    Cargue mi equipaje, el taxisto dijo no hablar ni español ni inglés, aunque alguna palabras intentaba decir en un muy corto ingles.
    Lo primero que me hizo dudar es que me hizo sentar en el asiento delantero, lo que para no pensar mal lo tome como una gentileza, Le pregunté si conocia la dirección del hotel y me dijo que si que no habria problemas, como no vi taxímetro, le pregunte cuanto me saldria el viaje, y ahi estuve seguro que me estafaría pues me dijo que dependía del tráfico, que la tarifa tenía un recargo por ser domingo no laborable, y que costaría entre EUR 20 a EU 25. No hubo nada de demora y diría que en siete minutos estuvimos en la "zona" del hotel, me dijo que me convenia bajarme en la esquina para no tener que dar la vuelta. Le pregunté cuanto era y me dijo veintioto. le entrego cincuenta y saca solo un billete de 10, preguntándome no se que pero creo que había cambiado rápidamente mi billete por ese, a lo que yo solo atine a decirle que me tenía que dar otros doce, además de ese, ahi me preguntó si no tenia cambi. Le dije que no y el me dio entonces otro billete de 10 y nada mas pues me dijo que como era domingo no tenia cambio.
    Luego puede comprobar que el hotel no estaba a mas de 10 cuadras desde donde había tomado el taxi, y que este tipo de estafa es muy comun en Roma.
    Roma es muy bella pero CUIDADO CON LOS TAXISTAS

• Museum Visits

Instant Answers: Rome

• May 7, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Never stand next to the doors of the 'Regionale' train from Fiumicino airport to Rome without keeping a very close eye on your baggage when the train stops at all the little stations. We were travelling into Rome in April and the passenger next to us had bag of valuables resting on top of their suitcases. As the train stopped at Magliana ( a notorious area) and the doors opened, the guy who seemed to be boarding, reached in and snatched it, racing off down the platform before anything could be done to stop him. The poor woman who was ripped was Italian! and didn't even have her handbag strap across her body, something that should be second nature for everyone, most of all nationals travelling in their own capital...........Another thing to do to lessen the risk of loosing everything in one incident is to split valuables up, placing some in the heavy baggage which is too heavy to run with and some with whoever you are travelling with. Travel with enough cash for the day and one backup credit card only, you can also carry two purses, one with a limited amount of cash in it and top it up from the other one in the privacy of a toilet stall or somewhere similar. Get money from ATMs inside banks never in the street or even inside supermarkets. If you think you are being scammed, raise merry hell and shout Polizia, if the guy is genuine he will stick with it and get the police to sort it out, if not chances are he will leave, spitting s few well chosen words at you. I you see someone else being pick pocketed shout at the offender, at the very least it will alert the rest of the possible 'marks'. You may feel foolish but what the hell, no one knows you, your just another crazy foreigner.