Tivoli Restaurants

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Sibilla: Dinner by the Temples - Part 2

by riorich55 Written Oct 3, 2012
    Bruschetta

To continue from Part 1 - When we arrived in Tivoli from Rome via the train we walked away from the train station hopefully following the correct signs to our first destination the Villa d'Este. While walking we saw Sabilla across the ravine and since Sue is always worried about not getting a seat at a restaurant we walked over and made a reservation for 7:30 p.m. that evening. We needed to catch the last train back at 9:20 p.m. and the train station was about a 10 to 15 minute leisurely walk away so we didn't want to rush our dinner too much.

Our meals for the day had consisted of a good size breakfast at our B & B in Rome and a panini sandwich for me at the train station leaving Rome and a slice of anchovy pizza for Sue when we started walking through the old town of Tivoli.

So after our 4 hours of touring the estate and Tivoli we wandered back down to the restaurant and decided to take a seat outside next to the Temples (another tip)

Favorite Dish: I'm not sure if Sue ordered a glass of wine or not, but I indulged myself with a glass as I usually do at all dinner meals in Europe. We then were served with some very good bread and bruschetta on a very light pita type bread.

The prices for the meal were about what I expected for a restaurant of this type. Neither too expensive or too inexpensive.

Sue had the salad with lamb chops. I had the soup and sausage.

The food was fine, but still not what we would expect in a place that has been around since 1720. Not a bad place, but nothing that we would have to go back again and experience.

The service was friendly. We probably should have sat inside as there was a cool breeze that chilled us a bit as we ate.

• Archeology
    • Photography

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Sibilla: Dinner by the Temples - Part 1

by riorich55 Written Oct 3, 2012

When Sue and I start planning our vacations we divide the tasks up somewhat. Since I am more the computer literate of our duo, I scour the internet, talk to VT members, look at the hotel booking sites and generally conduct most of my research on the computer. Sue, on the other hand gets the travel books from the library and generally scopes out what restaurants she would like to try based upon reviews from those guidebooks.

We agree to disagree on the restaurants at times, but I've learned to make sure that several of the spots we eat on our vacation are her choices.

Sibilla was actually recommended to us by a lady that Sue used to work with. This ladies son, used to live in Rome (now he lives in Milan) and she remembers the beautiful scenery at a restaurant called Sibilla in Tivoli. That is actually how we ended up in Tivoli for the day to try the restaurant. We then discovered other interesting things to do while we were waiting for dinner.

Favorite Dish: I've decided to break this tip into Part 1 and Part 2 just because of the number of pictures we both took while there. The food information based upon my memory and some notes is about 5 months old which isn't too bad considering I haven't even written some reviews about our first trip to Europe 4 years ago.

The pictures on this first tip are of some of the views from around the restaurant and from our outdoor seating that evening.

• Photography

• leics's Profile Photo

Bar ai Portici: Another good place

by leics Written Apr 6, 2008

Tiny bar........

This place might not look much, but the service was very helpful and friendly, the food was good and the price even better.

Worth keeping an eye open for it: it's in front of a passage under a modern block of shops/offices near the Villa d'Este entrance.

• Singles
    • Seniors

• leics's Profile Photo

Arist Bar: Friendly little cafe/bar

by leics Written Apr 6, 2008

Arist Bar

This little bar was very busy when we arrived, which is always a good sign; plenty of local people sitting with their coffee and cakes. It's on the main square, just across the road from where one gets off the bus for the Villa d'Este (you'll almost certainly walk past it when you are going there anyway).

Nice 'warm' atmosphere inside, friendly and pleasant service, good coffee, lovely cakes (it's a pasticcheria as well).

A good place to stop for a restorative sugar, caffeine or alcohol break before or after your visit!

• Singles
    • Seniors

• lforrro's Profile Photo

Antiche Terme Di Diana: Don't miss it!

by lforrro Written Jul 6, 2007

This restaurant belongs to the owners of the B&B “Fermati che e tardi”, so if you’ll sleep there you’ll get a discount on the restaurant. But anyway to eat in this restaurant is always a pleasant experience.
    The restaurant self is unique as was build by Romans as a bath place. The owner discovered it by breaking trough a wall after feeling a strange wind coming out from a small hole. After discovering the beauty of the terme, they transformed them in today’s restaurant with all the respect for the value of the past. In conclusion: the atmosphere is magic and you almost feel like traveling in time.
    The food is just great and home made and the wine cart is endless! If you have problems deciding witch wine will be the best for the food you like, Manuela and Marco (the owners) will be happy to give an expert advice as they both are sommeliers.
    The service at the table is very professional and they really do their best to make it an unforgettable evening.

You could also enjoy one of the “Antica Roma” evenings, when you could taste some dishes made also in the Romans time.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is “La Caramella”, made using an old receipt from Umbria.
    It is puff pastry filled with cheese and cover with a delicious sauce made with cream and black truffle.It looks like a big sweet in package. The cheese inside is smelting in your mouth and the truffle sauce is incredibly tasty.

• Wine Tasting

• baronedivandastad's Profile Photo

Adriano: Innovative dining right outside the Villa

by baronedivandastad Written Jun 28, 2005

When I came to the Villa lunchtime was approaching, but since it was winter and the closing time was quite early I decided, not without a few doubts, to have a treat in this place right next to the entrance of the park.

Well, the restaurant was a positive surprise. We managed to get out with some 40 EUR per person (it will increase if you go for the most expensive wines from the very well-done list).

The plates they do are quite innovative, so you won't find too much of a traditional Roman cuisine.

The service was polite, but a bit too slow, especially considering that the place was half empty. I would go there again with less pressure (we still had to visit the Villa, so we were kind of in a hurry).

Favorite Dish: I remember having a very good truffle pasta and an excellent local Frascati wine.

• Wine Tasting

• Goner's Profile Photo

Ristorante Monteripoli: Meal with a View

by Goner Updated Jul 31, 2003

Monteripoli Restaurant

The restaurant sits high upon a hill in Tivoli overlooking Rome and the surrounding hills. Italian minstrals serenaded us and we sang and toasted to our last night in Italy.

Check my travelog for the night views from the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: We had the usual course; bread and wine, antipasto and wine, pasta and wine, main course and wine, salad, fruit, dessert, and good stong coffee. It was all good, maybe because of all the wine, or the pleasant company or the Italian music.

• Archeology
    • Architecture

Instant Answers: Tivoli

Comments

Tivoli Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Tivoli restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tivoli sightseeing.