Related Genoa Favorites Tips

Porticoed Sottoripa in Via F.Turati
  • caruggi - historic centre
    by croisbeauty
  • our guide demolishing sweets in Sottoripa pastry-s
    our guide demolishing sweets in...

Most Viewed Favorites in Genoa

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Local people

by croisbeauty Updated May 27, 2012

Favorite thing: What makes a city to be a city, is it its architecture or the people who live there? Well, I'd say both however, some nice places we like more then others because of the people whom we met around.
    Genovese people is easy going, friendly, helpful, open and cheerful by nature. The love to joke around, enjoy good food and wines and spending time in good company. I am bringing home very positive experiences and the desire to go back there again.

I genovesi inevitable telefonino

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Piazza de Ferrari

by croisbeauty Updated Nov 8, 2011

Favorite thing: Piazza de Ferrari is the largest square in the old core of the town and could be the good starting point for quick exploring of the old core of Genova. To me it looks atypical comparing it to the main suqares in other Italian towns. The only medieval palace on this square is Pallazzo Ducale which front facade, by the way, do not facing the square. The northern part of the square is dominated by the 19th century built Carlo Felice theatre.....

Piazza Ferrari the equestrian statue of Giuseppe Garibaldi Palazzo Ducale

• draguza's Profile Photo

The Port

by draguza Written Jun 22, 2010

Favorite thing: The Port of Genoa is the natural outlet to the sea for northern Italy's most industrialised area and the ideal location to serve the industrial sector and European consumer markets.

The port infrastructures extend continuously for almost 20 kilometres starting from the old city centre to the far western end. They can be reached quite easily by road thanks to the numerous port connections to the city road and motorway system, providing direct access to the various terminals and storage areas from the rear-lying urban network.

In front of a big boat
    • Cruise

• A perfectly Italian city

by LADH Written Jun 30, 2007

Favorite thing: I was so impressed by Genoa, I wasn't sure what to expect and I found a perfect slice of Italian life and culture. I'd read Dickens "Pictures from Italy" (he lived in Genoa for a year in the 1850s) and some of the descriptions are still true today. The harbour is very pretty (though some of the roads nearby are pretty dodgy and can be dangerous, so don't wander round on your own at night). Make sure you go up in the "uppy downy thing" as it was described to me, that takes you for a bird's eye view over Genoa (though to be honest I'm sure not that many birds fly quite so low...).

The tourist office and pretty much all the hotels give out a map that has three different coloured routes marked on it, one is the Renaissance, one the Medieval and one the Marine route. If you get the chance, walk them all. They are stunning. Make sure you go inside as many of the old palaces as you can and climb up inside the medieval tower. There are lots of art museums, great restaurants (Genoa is the home of pesto and Ligurian flat breads). Veggies will have no trouble here, as there's loads of veggie food on offer - I even saw what looked like vegan specialities on offer.

Fondest memory: Walking the Medieval route and deviating off into tiny little alleyways and piazzas. Genoa is a great, non-scary place to get lost in and there are some wonderfully interesting little shops and markets to be discovered.

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• iris2002's Profile Photo

Life Web-cam of Genova

by iris2002 Written Apr 17, 2006

Favorite thing: Here is a link to a life web-cam with views over the city

> WEB CAM LINK

Fondest memory: Me, 17 years old in my italian boy-friends tiny fiat cruising along the coast ... sigh

• Sailing and Boating

• samp4life's Profile Photo

Genoa: gate of the Mediterranean

by samp4life Written Apr 22, 2005

Favorite thing: Genoa is proud and shy and doesn't yield to everybody, to people who pass by in hurry heading for some faraway places.
    Genoa reveals herself little by little, and she looks like woman you love more and more.
    Genoa puts a spell on her visitors forever. Genoa's beauty lies in her magic old port, heart of the town, open gate to overseas worlds, to the Mediterranean sea that has always been a link between different people, a cultural crossroads of ideas, religious beliefs, languages, goods.
    Genoa's beauty lies in the hills bowing around her bay like an amphitheatre, in her vertical cityscape, in her luxurious palaces, in the alleys of the medieval city swarming with life, where past and present meet.
    Genoa's beauty lies in her irregular shape, in her stunning 34 kilometres lenght from East to West, in her outskirts that still retain their distinctive character.
    Genoa's beauty lies in her sunny Gulf and in her Rivieras, a land of light and winds, a mimosa yellow, tangerine orange, oleander red, grey-green olive land.

Fondest memory: From Foce to Capolungo there is a string of promenades lined with orange trees and palms. The sea is always clear and from May to October sunbathes crowd the beaches, where even in winter you can find people looking for a peaceful and sunny corner.
    Corso Italia is "the promenade", with is restaurants, discos and a large pavement to walk, run or skate on.
    At Nervi the Passeggiata Anita Garibaldi runs along the cliff and links the beautiful parks of Villas Grimaldi, Serra and Fassio that children and lovers hold dearest.

Sightseeing from Spianata Castelletto

• caffeine_induced78's Profile Photo

Must be something about my demographic group

by caffeine_induced78 Updated Feb 1, 2005

Favorite thing: "Prego, Prego," they said to me. They said this to me in those short skirts, those of-course unattractive women.

What does "Prego," mean? "Your welcome" is what it means. I had not paid them nor was I ever going to so why they said "Prego" to open it up is beyond my understanding. I guess something about being a twenty something male travelling alone without fear in some seedy areas just screams - "willing to pay for sex." It's happened to me in Mexico, Istanbul, and now Italy.

Those were the narrowest alleys in Genoa that I found. Those alleys are where I found the prostitutes.

Fondest memory: Trying to order a beer and after having said "beer" to be followed by a blank stare I tried my limited Spanish to say "Cerveza," and hoped it was close enough to the Italian word for beer.

It worked!

door
    • Adventure Travel

• piccolina's Profile Photo

VT-Friends-Meeting

by piccolina Updated Jan 18, 2005

Favorite thing: Genova means.... Chiara (pollon on VT) and Paolo (utttz on VT).....I'm glad they want to meet me everytime i have the chance to travel to Genova......In this pic Chiara drinking a glass of wine....(Chiara????....not me?....strange......!!)

• Calcio's Profile Photo

My worst football related moment in Genoa

by Calcio Written Dec 6, 2004

Favorite thing: My worst memory from Genoa isn’t actually from the city itself, but something that happened on my way back to Milano. I had been in Genoa for Sampdoria-Milan, and was in a bit of hurry to get back to Milano so that I could see another game there in the evening (Inter-Roma). So, naturally since it was an Italian, the train was late… We stood still, out in nowhere, for I don’t know how long time. It felt like hours, but wasn’t probably more than 50-60 minutes. And without any explanation of course…
    In the end I got back to Milano one hour before the next game should begin, and after running faster than the metro (well, almost at least) I got into the stadium five minutes before kick off. Needless to say I was a bit tired after that…

In time... Roma-supporters at Inter-Roma In time... Roma-supporters at Inter-Roma

• Calcio's Profile Photo

My best football related moment in Genoa

by Calcio Written Dec 6, 2004

Favorite thing: My first game in Genoa was the derby Sampdoria-Genoa 2002/03. I had high expectations, but I could never imagine it would be that good! Despite that it was raining over me the whole game, the tickets we had ordered were gone when we got to the stadium, and that it was actually a game in Serie B – it really was a fantastic moment! The atmosphere was fantastic, the songs went all around the stadium, and since the stadium is so tight, it felt like I was standing next to the hardcore-supporters in the curva. An amazing game, and I so hope that Genoa will go up in the Serie A to next season, so there will be another derby.

• Erkmen's Profile Photo

On the way tomy hotel

by Erkmen Written Nov 28, 2004

Favorite thing: After travelling from Milan to Genoa.. I have found myself in the Genoa Principe train station and my hotel was mear to Brignolle station.. Either you can travel with train to brignolle or take a bus.. But I took a taxi.. Thanks for the company :)

So I could have chance to see the both sides of the city..

• Erkmen's Profile Photo

Arriving Genoa

by Erkmen Updated Nov 28, 2004

Favorite thing: Genoa has a small airport with connections from major italian cities such as Milan and rome and also air dometica is operating some international flights. There is a direct flight from Munich..

I have choosed to come to Genoa by train from Milan. After an hour and a half, I reached Genoa Principe train station. There are two main train stations at Genoa. Principe is the one for mainly intercity trains and Brignole for local inland trains.

• nighthawk's Profile Photo

Fake balls

by nighthawk Written Oct 5, 2004

Favorite thing: This huge ship, a so called 2 (3?) mast boat, had to be visited.
    When we told the kids this boat could have been used for the filming of "pirates of the caribean" they were more than willing to explore the boat.
    Entrance fee was a bit high, that was a bit of a bummer.

Fondest memory: Haha, to be honest, I think it a number 1 tourist trap but eh ... won t spoil the fun of the kids!
    On the pic you can see why: almost everything is fake or new made to look old.
    Ah well, the kids looked for traces of Orlando Bloom and we just had a good time!

Chiara aka Pollon

• nighthawk's Profile Photo

Our great guide!

by nighthawk Written Oct 5, 2004

Favorite thing: Chiara, thank you so much for showing us your city.
    As always it was great to see you again!
    So whenever you are in my neck of the woods: please let me know! :-)

Fondest memory: This is a city I sure like because you have the sea, the mountains, the culture and the great food!

Chiara aka Pollon

• Carletto76's Profile Photo

Sea, hills and history

by Carletto76 Written Apr 2, 2004

Favorite thing: There are so many things to see in Genova that, after 27 years lived here, I discover new interesting places almost every week! So it's hard to decide what to see and what not for your first trip to Genova!
    My suggestion is to concentrate on the old town, walking along the "caruggi". Forget about shopping, going to the beach... you can do those things in many other places, but you won't see such a great historic centre anywhere else! And then of course there's the aquarium, but if you don't like fishes so much there are many other things to see first (at least IMHO!)!

Fondest memory: Fortunately I never stay away from my hometown for more than a couple of week a year... but if I had to leave it it would be hard, I have to admit it! Genova is unique, it's a shrine full for treasures to discover, I'd miss the sea, the hills, the old rich palazzi, the sound of genoese dialect, the local people always complaining about everything and so on... Genova has its pros and cons, like every place in the World, but it's my hometown, and Iove it!

View of Genova's Old Town

Blue B&B
1 Review & Opinion
Hotel Soana

Instant Answers: Genoa

Comments

Genoa Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Genoa locals.
Map of Genoa