churches, Genoa

Know about this? Rate It!

The windows of the cathedral
    Genoa by night

Favorite thing:
    It's a week later, and I am back in Genoa. The weather was boring though.... rain, rain and more rain. But we tried to see some of Genoa despite of the weather. Unfortunately we only had a few hours to explore Genoa, not very much time to visit this huge city. Normally I would do a citywalk to get a good impression, but because of the weather we decided to visit the Cathedral and after that the aquarium.
    The Cathedral was great, wow, so impressive! It is huge from the outside, hahaha, so huge even that it is very hard to take a 'normal' picture of it. Either the cathedral is too big, or the square is too small. What ever way you look at it, the two seem to be out of proportion. This photo was made by the digital camera. I also made a few pictures with my SLR camera, hahaha, but of course they aren't developed yet! You have to be a bit more patient to see those.

Inside the cathedral of San Lorenzo

Inside the cathedral of San Lorenzo

Favorite thing:
    The inside of the cathedral is very impressive. I visited a few more Cathedrals during this trip, but this cathedral impressed me the most. The interior is richly decorated and it is so huge. I went quiet for a while, just admiring everything I saw around me.
    The construction of this cathedral started around 1100. Striking in the interior are the black and white stripped arches inside the church.

• sim1's Profile Photo

The windows in the cathedral

The windows of the cathedral

Favorite thing:
    If you are in the the cathedral of San Lorenzo, don't forget to look at the details as well. It's hard as you will be amazed by the hugeness of this cathedral, and don't know where to look anymore (hahaha, at least that is how I felt!). But it is well worth to do so, there are so many things to see. I didn't take much pictures inside the cathedral, as it was quite dark inside, so I can't show you that much. But one picture that I did make is from these rose windows of the 15th century.

You can access the cathedral from the Piazza San Lorenzo. The cathedral is open from 08.00 hours to 11.45 hours and from 15.00 hours to 18.45 hours.

Genoa

by sim1 Written Oct 3, 2003

Genoa by night

Favorite thing:
    I have to admit that I haven’t seen that much of Genoa to justify this page. I had a few hours on a rainy day to spend in Genoa, and didn’t make that much photos or saw a lot of the city. But that doesn’t mean I regret going to Genoa, not at all! I had a great time meeting up with some great VT-friends! So that is what this page will mainly be about. But I’ll try to mix in some short tips about Genoa as well. So if you are reading this page to find out some ‘real’ info about Genoa, you might be better of taking a look at some other Genoa pages. But I know a few of you are very very eager to see my pictures of Genoa, lol :-)) So here we go……

• Tolik's Profile Photo

From the artistically notable...

by Tolik Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: From the artistically notable monuments, there are the Roman ruins, the church of Saint Michael, from the 10th century, and the Vergine Assunta's cathedral from the 12th century. Already the center of the Liguri Intermelii with the name of Albium Intermelium, then called Albintimilium and, in medieval times, Venttimiglia, was the seat of the committee and residence for the counts of Ventimiglia. Successively was erected the free commune, but then fell under the dominion of the Genovesi.

Instant Answers: Genoa