Places to eat in Genoa

Enoteca Migone-Genoa
  • Restaurants

Most Viewed Restaurants in Genoa

• adema29's Profile Photo

Enoteca Migone/Restaurant San Matteo: Definitely the best we have discovered in Genoa

by adema29 Written May 25, 2015

We were looking for a wine shop and we end-up in meeting a nice lady and a bit later a nice big family... and the restaurant San Matteo too.
    Sometime we are lucky enough to find, by chance, beautiful persons and the places they touched, amazingly transforming them in small islands of beauty and decency.

Enoteca Migone-Genoa View inside San Matteo Restaurant
    • Photography

Agora' Cafe: Dine inside, or on the street - conservatory

by Paisleypaul Updated Mar 21, 2015

Reading the guide books the two food items we were after to try that seem typical Ligurian Genoa specialities were the Genovese minestrone with pesto (see tip on Trattoria alle 2 Torri) and the vegetable cake. We got the latter here at Agora Cafe just off of Via XX Settembre, served with patates in rosamarino. Cheap lunch with drinks, all sorts of options on daily menus starting from Eu 6.50

Favorite Dish: Nice to find the vegetable cake so beloved of lonely planet ! This one was heavy on courgette and was delicious

Agora Cafe Bar & Easy Restaurant The conservatory / street annexe Vegetable pie from Genoa Standard menu options Daily menu options

Ristorante Rustichello: Great snug

by Paisleypaul Written Mar 21, 2015

The lunch time menu has a few items less than the evening one and we just ahd time for lunch here before making our way, all too soon it seemed, back to the airport at Genova.

We split some bread and bresaola then had primi; a local dark sauce ravioli and tomato and prawn and tomato-basil based penne whic I loved. We each had a panna cotta style desert and a bottle of Acqua Panna water with 1/2 litre house white. A great last lunch to set us up for our travels and even with the coperto only Eu38

Favorite Dish: Delicious penne with gamberi

L'interno Bresaola with rucola in oil Ravioli in a dark sauce Penne with gamberi Ristorante Rustichello - nondescript but a star

• Paisleypaul's Profile Photo

Trattoria alle 2 Torri: best ever for this dish?

by Paisleypaul Updated Mar 21, 2015

Our last night, and we finally got to try the green minestrone that is the pesto-infused Genova take on this classic zuppa. We also had a mixed seafood starter. No comlpaints about either but no better than you can get at another ristorante Genova nad elsewhere in italy with the bar nearly always being set so high.

We each had our favourite Filetto al Pepe Verde for secondi.......more below.....

Favorite Dish: Well we both voiced the same thing as soon as we put our knife to this fillet...... The knife went through the meat like you were cutting through panna cotta ! Cannot express the difference in tenderness between this and even an immaculatlely cooked filetto elsewhere - wonder what their secret is ?

Water sprite cover charge and a half bottle 37.5cl Vermentino di Liguria took us to a reasonable Eu75

Trattoria Alle 2 Torri Minestrone - Genovese version with pesto Antipasto Misto Mare Filetto al Pepe Verde L'interno - even the breadsticks were good ! !
    • Wine Tasting

L'osteria dei Bischeri: Great seafood and more

by Paisleypaul Written Mar 21, 2015

This is just down from the old gate by the Christopeher Columbus house in the direction of San Lorenzo. On our first night in Genoa we had walked the lingth of Via XX Settembre tp Piazza dei ferarri and discovered that the shopping street has more cafe bar type options than ristorante so when we came in here we were ready to eat.

Did not particularly look much from inside but we shared a wonderful starter and had mains with me plumping for what turnwed out tto be a piled high plate of mixed seafood including langoustine and swordfish.

Tremendous waiting staff, attentive and ready with advice without being overpowering

Favorite Dish: Only one visit but al of the above good and with a bottel of wine a beer and water about Eu40 a head for one primo two secondi and one dolce

L'osteria di Bischeria Colourful decor easy ambience Primo with pasta parcels Seaffod grill langoustine octopius swordfish bream Dolce of Fruit and choclate

La Corte: at StarHotel President

by Paisleypaul Updated Mar 14, 2015

On the ground floor at reception an open plan bar and ristorante open to on residents. There are sofas with coffee tables for the bar side, and tablesand chairs for the ristorante. If you are staying the breakfast buffet is served upstairs - this is open for dinner, and with lunch there is a reduced choice on the menu. We had lunch.

Favorite Dish: We shared a primi - Corzetti alla Polceverasca al burro fuso e maggiorana - local shirt Genoverse pasta the shape of flat buter beans with butter parmesan and marjoram - simple and delicious !
    For the main I had Polpetti Sfumati al pigato su passata di cece e olio di noci; baby octupus stewed in creamed chick pea and walnut oil. My wife had grilled chicken breast in a soya marinade with vegetables and in totla for the split first course and 2 secondi we were Eu44 plus drinkls

La Corte Corzetti alla Polceverasca Grilled soya marinated chicken and vegetables Baby octopus stewed in creamed chick peas & walnut
    • Business Travel

ham holyburger: Piedmontese beef

by Paisleypaul Written Mar 5, 2015

I see this chain with a handful of locations in Italia has a premises in Oxford Stret in London now - and prices about £ for Euro so about 38% more expensive at time of writing

The wife had the holy burger served with salad in the holy sauce - a kind of salsa. I had the crunch burger with smoked Scamorza cheese crispy bacon julienned iceberg lettuce , salad mayo and tomato chutney.

Split a portion of the crunchy fries (potato wedges) with five dips aas pictured, including salsa and mayo / dijonaise

Has a Tuscan Vermentino as well as a Peroni and water

Good staisfying take on a burger and cheap meal - you order from a tablet at each table - but expect to be in and out in 30 to 40 minutes , it's not the sort of Italian restaurant where dinnner is an all night affair!

Favorite Dish: Great gourmet burgers from 7 Euro and a Vermentino for 15 Euro. With water cola a beer and fries we were just over 40 Euros all in, but with beer and soft drinks only would have been under Eu30

Ham holyburger opposite the San Lorenzo church Crunchburger Thick cut fries with 5 different dips Tried this Tuscan Vermentino Itemized receipt.. for your info

• DedovicSarah's Profile Photo

Rossopomodoro Porto Antico: AMAZING food and staff!!!

by DedovicSarah Updated Jan 13, 2015

AMAZING food and staff!!! Italian, Pizza, Bar, Pizza & Pasta. You'll have a great time with interesting drinks that you can order. For football lovers they have prepared two huge screens to watch the games. The atmosphere is incredible. The space is huge and it's visited by a lot of people with good reason.

Favorite Dish: I tried a pizza with four kinds of tomato sauce and plenty of cheese and it was fantastic. It was maybe €15 but it was worth it definitely! Even I could not finish it, and I eat a lot. It was so big and delicious! I drank a fruit cocktail, rum chocolate and I tried their tiramisu with nutella. It was great.

front of the restaurant
    • Singles

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Pizzeria in Porto Antico: I had no time for the gastronomic experiences

by croisbeauty Written May 27, 2012

It was kind of "run and gun" visit to Genova, we got 3 hours only for the individual explorings of the city and then rushing in the direction of Portofino. We had time for a short break only and I regret so much for not testing again delicious cuisine of Genova. I got poor choice, or missing taking the pics or missing food. I chosed to stay hungry.

Favorite Dish: Can't say anything about this inconspicious looking restaurant and pizzeria. It was right in front of our bus stop at Piazza Caricamento before we left Genova. I took this picture coz of armor.

armored pizzeria

• alza's Profile Photo

Al Lupo: A scâ

by alza Updated Apr 23, 2011

23 April 2011 - In a good food magazine today, there was an article about Genoa and the one restaurant they recommended was this one, Al Lupo, on Vico Monachette. It pleased me no end that they were recommending the restaurant I enjoyed so much when I last visited Genoa. And I'm happy to know that Al Lupo is still there. I'll put the link to it here now. :)
    ----

This restaurant was great. First, I found it by chance, as I was strolling along via Balbi, near Stazione Principe. It's a small osteria on an alley off via Balbi and it looks very inviting.

I didn't have much time and didn't want to eat too much either. But the menu was tempting and the waiter recommended polpi for starters, then some trenette alla genoese. He said that wasn't much to eat. Don't know where he got that idea. It was a LOT!

The place filled up with people on their lunch hour, all regulars obviously, judging by the way the owner talked and laughed with them all. She acknowledged me too, very nicely, asked if everything was ok.
    One senior customer, who looked like an academic, saw that I couldn't finish my trenette and started a pleasant conversation with me. He said my two dishes would be too much for a Genoese too, at lunch. Two friends were looking at travel photos and we all ended up talking about travel. It was fun.

The waiter was very young, and very efficient-looking. Brisk movements, nodding of the head, clicking of the heels and off to the kitchen before you had time to finish your sentence. I had told him I only had 50 minutes, would that be enough? He assured me that it was but then he sped around the place and I could hardly get his attention. An Italian friend of mine told me later that Italian waiters don't like serving people who eat in a rush... they see it as lack of respect for food. Ha! what a joke! I wasn't in a rush for one dish, he's the one who pushed two main courses on me. And he was the same with everyone. That was a bit of a downer.

There was a poster with the Genoese singer-composer Fabrizio de André on it, with a big "Thank you, Fabrizio". I love him too so that made me feel good. The ambience is very quiet, old Genoa and I loved the place.

Favorite Dish: The polpi were delicious! Cooked au naturel, served with plenty fresh lemon, on a bed of tasty potatoes boiled to melting perfection. I guess the English word for polpi is 'octopus'. I don't think I'd ever had octopus before. Hope I can get the recipe! I want to make them just like Al Lupo's does.

The pic is just one of the many "A scâ" found in Genoa. I don't have a pic of the Vico Monachette, where the restaurant is. Vico is another word for alley.

A sc��, where the cat naps

• pingu25's Profile Photo

La Berlocca: Fresh and excellent foor

by pingu25 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Berlocca might look like an Osteria, but it's kitchen is some of the finest tastes in Genova with selected food and a chef who never stops experimenting with new flavors, surprising every day with his choices.

Favorite Dish: Branzino alle mele

• Erkmen's Profile Photo

Ristorante-Pizzeria Piedigrotta: Ristorante-Pizzeria Piedigrotta

by Erkmen Updated Apr 4, 2011

Ristorante Piedigrotta is one of the best pizza house you can find in Genoa. It is located near the Corso Buenos Aires, at the Piazza Gerolamo Savonarola.

Each time I visit Genoa, I can not pass without eating at this pizzeria. The delicious Pizzas are making you adored. The pizzas are so big and most of the times you doubt of finishing your plate. On the other hand they are so delicious that you dont want to waste a part of it.

The restaurant also serves other courses such as Fish and Meat. But Pizza is the best of the bests.

Favorite Dish: Pizza Pizza and Pizza..

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

E prie de ma: Typical restaurant, uncommon owner!

by Mikebond Written Mar 26, 2010

My mother and I would always have dinner at this restaurant with a Genoese name meaning "The stones of the sea", because it lied just opposite Hotel Nuovo Nord in via Balbi, where we had our room.
    If you are a guest of this hotel, ask the lady at the reception for the voucher that entitles you to have dinner at "E prie de ma" for 15 euro instead of 20. You can also have breakfast at that restaurant for four euro, but we didn't go there for breakfast because we are not accustomed to have ham, cheese or eggs for breakfast.

This restaurant offers some typical Genoese dishes, such as the pansotti al sugo di noci (a kind of ravioli with walnut sauce), which I strongly recommend, or pasta al pesto, or several sorts of fish.
    However, what makes this restaurant special is the atmosphere, with pop and rock music always playing, and its funny, crazy owner, who pretends he speaks English and French and is a really uncommon person. You'd better meet him in person, since I cannot describe him well enough.

Photos will come.

• csordila's Profile Photo

Trattoria Archivolto Mongiardino: Father of Columbus sold wine here!

by csordila Updated Jun 20, 2009

To find this small fish restaurant amongst the alleyways of the Genoan historic centre, just ask for the place where the spiny lobster is made.
    This is a small, spartan place where meat may be prepared on request. Customers used to able to choose their own lobster here. There is a restricted, yet satisfying menu which is great for those who like Ligurian cooking with some personal touches.

Homely service, optimal portions, decent prices are normal. From the historical archives emerge also that, in this small trattoria the father of Cristoforo Columbus sold wine !!!!

Favorite Dish: The menù of the day is fact, the lobster is the undisputed queen of the place.
    Lobsters are always available, but I have taken sole fish.

"... from Liguria typical Kitchen made up of fresh fish, lobsters and crustaceans"

I have eaten sole only Lobster, shrimp etc.

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo

Da Maria: Cucina casalinga

by Elisabcn Written Nov 29, 2008

A must in Genoa!. Opened since 1946 and situated in the heart of the centro storico, not far from Carlo Felice Theatre, this is one of the few genuine places that has survived the past of the years. Da Maria is a typical osteria Genovese where you could eat great home-made cuisine for few euros. Students, workers, employees, nobel prizes… no matter the origins everybody has enjoyed Maria’s simple dishes and personally Maria saved me from too many Sundays-empty –fridge . . . Also known as Maria la zozza or Maria la succida (her osteria was not always as clean as we would wish. . .) she was a charming old woman and although I always saw her very busy in the kitchen she always had time to greet personally her customers and chat with them for a while. Which was her speciality? Le troffie al pesto, of course! !And her dolce della casa was very tasty as well!!!

Unfortunately we recently lost Maria. . . a terrible lost, we will miss you a lot!

Genoa Hotels

Residence Savoia&Savoia
Hotel Soana
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Genoa

Comments

Genoa Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Genoa locals.
Map of Genoa