Monterosso al Mare Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Monterosso al Mare

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Nuovo Bar Eden: Dining with a great view

by sue_stone Updated Apr 4, 2011

coffee and the sea - bella!

Nuovo Bar Eden is a bar/restaurant that is located in the new town area of Monterosso, right above the beach.

Grab a table at the edge of the balcony and enjoy a coffee and gelato or a more substantial meal and gaze out at the Liguarian Sea.

We also enjoyed watching a strapping young lad shovelling pebbles from the beach and dumping them back into the water.... ??!!

Favorite Dish: We just stopped by for a coffee and a gelato, but it was all good.

Service was a little slow.....but hey, it's Italy!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Bar Nuovo Eden: Lovely spot for coffee

by toonsarah Written Sep 6, 2009

In the Bar Nuovo Eden

When we arrived in Monterosso we were in need of refreshment, so stopped in one of the first places we came to, the sea-front Bar Nuovo Eden. We found a table outside on the terrace (walk through the restaurant to reach this), with lovely views of the beach, the sea crashing on the rocks (it was pretty rough that day), the small fort on the headland that separates the two halves of Monterosso, and the coast stretching south to Vernazza and beyond.

Favorite Dish: Chris had a cappuccino and I chose an espresso con gelato, which was as the name suggests an espresso coffee with a scoop of ice cream floating in it (a sort of afogato in fact, one of my favourite Italian treats). The coffee was good and strong, the prices reasonable (€2 each) and the beautiful views conducive to a long relaxing coffee break.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Enoteca Ciak: A light lunch

by toonsarah Written Sep 6, 2009

A

Looking for a light lunch in the streets of Monterosso Vechio, we came upon this small café (there is also a larger “Ristorante Ciak” in a square near the gate to the old town). We managed to grab the last outside table and perused the menu. I wanted only a snack, so chose something known as “mix” – a plate of local salami, cheese and fresh anchovies, served with crusty bread to mop up the oily juices. I washed this down with a deliciously refreshing local wine, La Polenza. Chris had a tuna sandwich and a beer. Unfortunately I didn’t make a note of the prices (must have been that lovely wine distracting me) but I know they weren’t high.

There is also a shop with the same name, selling a wonderful selection of local produce: pasta, olive oil, pesto sauce (of course – this is Liguria), sun-dried tomatoes, limoncino ... Follow the link for more details, including location.

• CIAK: Best Meal In Italy

by iloveaustria Written Oct 31, 2004

If you are in The Cinque Terre, don't miss eating at CIAK ( pronounced Chuck ) in Monterosso. My daughter and I shared the Ravioli and Shrimp which was a dish for a minimum of 2 people. It was served in a large earthanware pot, steaming hot. There was enough for 4 people! We also ordered the grilled sea bass which was the fresh fish of the day. It was brought out whole and filleted at the table side. We went back again and ordered the Steamed Mussels and Spaghetti with Seafood. Both were to die for!
    Across the street is the restaurants wine store which stocks an exclusive selection of local wines and other local specialities and fresh produce from their own farm.

Favorite Dish: See above.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Tourist menu: Something is wrong, no smell of food at all

by croisbeauty Written Mar 10, 2013

I suppose this could be more likely an tourist trap tip rather than restaurant tip. When strolling and exploring new places our senses are very active, with eyes we looking for attractive sites while at the same time our scent is absorbing the odors that spread around us. Tasting local food is an integral part or our explorings.
    My practice is to memorize the locations of casual restaurants where later on could dine. I usually choose those restaurants which attracted me with the charming appearance or more likely those which spread the smell of good food.

Favorite Dish: Strange but true, I passed-by dozen of restaurants in Monterosso but not one attracted me by its appearance. My wondering was all the greater for the fact that neither one of these restaurants was luring the scent of food. The old town of Monterosso is network of short and narrow streets and the scent of food should have been spread all around the place, as it is typical for all Mediterranean coastal places.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

La Cantina di Miky: Frutti di mare in riva al mare

by goodfish Written Jan 24, 2013

This was the best of three restaurants we hit for dinner, and we would have gone back but they were closed on our last night. La Cantina is the more casual, less- expensive sister of Ristorante Miky, and it’s just a short walk from the station in the “new” section of Monterosso. It was also just a few doors down from our hotel so when we finally landed into town after a long, frustrating day navigating a train strike, we had a spot on the terrace overlooking the beach, a glass of wine and a menu our hands within minutes of dropping the luggage. Seating was tight but the waitstaff cheerfully split a double table into a single to shoehorn us in, and everyone happily shifted about a little to give new arrivals a little room.

Dinner: mixed salads apiece, a seafood stew for The Husband, a plate of mixed tempura sea critters for me, and a couple glasses of wine. All of it was very good and prices were entirely reasonable - especially considering that gorgeous view of the water. We stopped back the next evening for a nightcap in the little walled garden and discovered another big bonus: a very nice stock of craft beers! We both had a flight of select brews, and the Husband finished up with a recommended bottle of a regional brand while I splurged with a foo-foo cocktail. Yummy.

The cantina is managed by friendly Manuel, son of the celebrated Miky, and the effervescent Christine - a native of New Jersey. She has a wonderful blog (http://lifeinliguria.blogspot.com) about adjusting to life as an expat, and I spent quite a bit of time reading her account of the recovery of Monterosso - and the cantina - after the devastating 2011 flood. The bar/dining room (in the lower level of the building) was completely destroyed but you would never know it now; it’s been beautifully redone in warm, gently-lit “upscale casual” and one of the nicest restrooms I’d encountered in any restaurant in Italy.

Highly recommended. Seafood, pasta, salads, appetizers, desserts. Do be aware that it’s closed on Wednesdays and during the low season: roughly end of October to the beginning of February.

• Beer Tasting

• kcochran111's Profile Photo

Gelateria ??: Blech!

by kcochran111 Updated May 22, 2003

Do you have any lime?!

The gelateria in Monterosso has great roadside tables. But, the view doesn't make up for the infinite minuses: crunchy crepes, slow service, and the worst margarita I've ever drank!

Favorite Dish: Not anything with tequila!

• Study Abroad
    • School Holidays

Enoteca da Eliseo: Il bianco di Monterosso

by croisbeauty Updated Mar 15, 2013

Enoteca da Eliseo

Enoteca da Eliseo is one of those places to which each visitor would like to come back again, as soon as possible. Enoteca is a wine-bar, not a restaurant, although some snacks could be ordered too. Here people come to drink good wine, famous limoncello or grappa and more grappas. The location is in the heart of Monterosso, in an intimate piazzetta (small square), with great ambiance out on the terrace, just perfect for sipping wine and people watching.
    Imagine to sipp cold wine of superb quality accompaigned by classical music, that's possible "da Eliseo" only and I am sure you will enjoying in it alot.

Favorite Dish: Enoteca da Eliseo is charming and very friendly place which is run by Elieso and his wife Maria. You need exactly 5 seconds to break all barriers and start feeling as an regular daily guest.
    Wine testing is a must in my travellings, especially when in Italy. It is hard to find a better place for it than Enoteca da Eliseo is. If you not sure what to drink let them to suggest it, and believe me, this people can't make mistake about it.
    I sampled Sciacchatera, accopmained by treats of olives, caper berries, peanuts and besides it I ordered small plate of Ligurian cheese. I couldn't leave before testing Eliseo's own limoncello, which was excellent.
    Everything was great, even the prices, glass of wine cost 3 euros only.

• Wine Tasting

• sikorka's Profile Photo

Nuovo Eden Bar: Time for aperitivo!

by sikorka Updated Apr 29, 2008

Since we arrived to Monterosso and I saw this place I knew I wanted to go there. It's nothing fancy, but it's right at the sea shore so you can listen to waves while sitting at the terrace.
    We went there one evening and spent a very nice time. The food was good: caprese and sea food salads, some wine (20 Euro).
    They sell also drinks and ice-cream.
    It's a good place for aperitivo!

• CIAK: Great Seafood!

by JensenLy Written Jul 11, 2005

This was our first dinner in Monterosso and it was pretty darn good. We arrived right when they opened (7:30pm) and were seated near the kitchen. I think they thought they were giving us one of their "lesser" tables (there were three of us - a mom and two teenage girls), but I actually loved being right in front of the glass window which looked directly into the kitchen. Yes, our table had waiters rushing by and they even used the empty end of our table as a work space, but I was fascinated to watch all that was going on. We had a first-hand view of everything that was coming out of the kitchen and it was amazing!

Favorite Dish: The girls ordered different types of prawns and were freaked out by the fact that they weren't shelled (they have led very sheltered lives). I laughed and told them to get over it. I ended up trading my swordfish (delicious) for some of their prawns and have never tasted prawns so unbelievably juicy and full of flavor. CIAK's shellfish was super fresh and I got a kick out of the huge piles of prawns and mussells waiting to be served up. I thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. It was expensive - but worth the splurge.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Midi Bar: Midi Bar - cafe and bar

by sue_stone Written Feb 22, 2008

Midi Bar

We re-visited Monterosso one morning in Sep 2007, and while we were there we wanted some morning tea. We decided to stop at Midi Bar, on Piazza Garibaldi, as it had a nice shady terrace.

We chose a table with a view of the square, and I wandered inside to see what kind of snacks they had on offer. There wasn't anything that tempted me, though the gelato looked ok.

Favorite Dish: In the end we ordered coffee and a couple of serves of gelato to share. The coffee was drinkable, but unfortunately the gelato was terrible - way too icy.

• Trains
    • Hiking and Walking

• Porto Roca hotel Restaurant / CIAK/ Bel Vedere Res: Three Great restaurants in Monterosso al Mare

by MartinQueller Updated Aug 20, 2006

We have gone to Monterosso every year for the past 5 years, and having sampled many of the restaurants in the town, have found 3 to be our favorites.
    When we go to Monterosso, we ALWAYS stay at the Hotel Porto Rocca, which is situated on a cliff at the end of the paese. It is the only four star hotel in the cinque terre, and the service is excellent, the staff as accomodating as possible, and if it is in their power to do something for their guests, they will.
    The restaurant itself overlooks the sea, and is just delightful. The food is exquisite, served by waiters and waitresses in white jackets and tie, but the food is just excellent, and I lived in Parma for 12 years, so I KNOW what good Italian food tastes like!

If you go into town, which is a 15 minute walk from the Porto Rocca, the two restaurants we liked the most were CIAK, which has a variety of dishes, and is delicious. Price is reasonable, and the service was always good.

If you'd like to stop for lunch, there's a restaurant at the bottom of the hill which leads to the hotel Porto Rocca, and the name of this one is Restaurant Bel Vedere. The food is very good and the price is very low. The only drawback to this restaurant is that it sits under the railroad, and every half hour, the rumble of the trains passing makes this place a little less attractive, however, the price makes up for the inconvenience, and the food is very good.

Favorite Dish: You can take any item off any of these menus, and it is from very good to excellent.
    When in Italy do as the Italians do, so eat pasta, pork, or seafood which is their forte. Don't order beef, as it is the least likely to be up to your expectations if you are American.

• Luxury Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

• Sienlu's Profile Photo

Miky Ristorante: Amazing food!

by Sienlu Written Jun 12, 2012

This was the best place we ate at in my whole trip! Little cute restaurant in Monterosso al Mare. We had 2 entrees, one seafood risotto and one pesto pasta, then this delicious white fish and a delicious desert, highly recommend this place. I don't know pricing because we went with an organized tour.

Very nice setting, great owners and servers, really great!!!

Right next to the sea and very close to the train station, in the middle of everything! Loved it

• Luxury Travel

Bar Davi: short break

by croisbeauty Updated Mar 10, 2013

Davi bar

It was pretty hot day for the end of September and I usually don't each much in such a days. I decided to take some light food or sendwich and this bar, situated in a small porticoe, attracted me so much. Nice ambient in a deep shadow and very refreshing indeed.
    To be honest, this small bar was the only food-place that attracted my attention in Monterosso.

Favorite Dish: I took a plate with small bruschettas of different kind and it was delicious. Very light food and easy on stomach. Food and drink (coke plus espresso) cost me less then 10 euros.
    The food was good, fresh and inexpensive.

• texas_bravo's Profile Photo

Food and Wine: Great Wine and App. Bar

by texas_bravo Written May 6, 2003

This is a great small little Italian wine bar that serves amazing bruschetta and great calamari. I highly suggest it for a start to great evening! Wine to satisfy any price, and taste.

Favorite Dish: Fried calamari to die for, it the sea that morning on your plate that night!

Try the local Cinque Terre wines!

Instant Answers: Monterosso al Mare

Comments

Monterosso al Mare Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Monterosso al Mare restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Monterosso al Mare sightseeing.

View all Monterosso al Mare hotels