Portofino Restaurants

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Delightful Ice Cream & Coffee

by Mikebb Written Jul 21, 2014
    Gelato & Coffee

After walking the hillside track and the local shopping street we decided upon coffee and ice cream (gelato) as we took a rest.

We noticed a nice restaurant with outside seating that had a nice view of the marina and boats.

Our order, large gelato each and hot coffee.

Everything was perfect until the bill arrived - the gelato was 12 euro each!

• Seniors

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Pasticceria Oneto.: A good cafe in Santa Margherita Ligure.

by Maurizioago Updated Sep 12, 2013

Portofino has a good choice of restaurants, but they are expensive. I couldn't find a fast food or "pizza al taglio" (pizza by slice) where to sit while eating. There is a grocery shop in the village though.

After a long search for a "quite budget" restaurant I decided to take a bus to Santa Margherita Ligure and head to my favourite restaurant there.

I had lunch at pasticceria Oneto several times. It is a coffehouse where you can have salads, sandwiches, piatti freddi (cold cuts or cheeses) and aperitives with lots of nibbles.

Aperitives are served with chips, olives, stripes of raw vegetables, small squares of pizza, or little sandwiches and other food.

Favorite Dish: At Oneto's the salads are served in large bowls and are full of vegetables.

This cafe is really a good place to have your "happy hours" even at noon . The nibbles which come with your drink are really good.

great garden-restaurants ~ ~ but almost empty

Portofino -great restaurants, almost empty

There are several restaurants and cafes in the bay of Portofino...

.......but no matter, how many tourists arrived by ship, they were almost empty ( although our ship had about 150 passengers )

And DO NOT expect to be able to have a look into a menu posted at the entrance like you usually can in other restaurants

• globetrott's Profile Photo

small tables directely at the sea

Portofino - the sea-boulevard

At the end of the boulevard the sidewalk get rather narrow and still you see a nice restaurant garden with tables directely at the sea.

Be Carefull : NO barrier or fence on the seaside of the trottoir !!

Favorite Dish: Seafood is absolutely fresh here in Portofino, and the sea is almost cristall clear.

• Beer Tasting

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Bring your own picknick...: Picknick with a view !

Portofino - having a picknick

Restaurant prices are really extremely high - I knew that already from my guide-books, and I had a stay of just 3 hours, and did not want to spend a lot of time waiting for the waiters...

So I decided to bring a picknick, as seen here on my pic...

I had " Focaccia con Olive " (an Olivebread ) + " Focaccia con Cipolle " ( a Onion-guiche ) and some peach-juice for a total of 2,60 €uro, bought in S.Margherita Ligure , before I left.
    ----------------------------------------------------

Don't ask me, why I put the food exactly into the shadow of the pic... ;-((

Favorite Dish: The Olivebread was the best, I bought it in a bakery shop and it is cut exactly the size you like to have it. It was 0,80 €uro, it tasted absolutely great even cold

• La Gritta -American Bar: Avoid like the plaque

by rennyzz Written Jul 3, 2012

The food was ok but this a simple tourist trap. They will charge each person a covercharge of €4, I ordered a coke and was charged €8. I've been around the globe but have never been taking advantage off like this before, oh and the coke wasn't on the menu so you couldn't see the prices. The places next door charged half the price for a coke.
    Approach with caution!

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Da Nicola: Ristorante - Pizzeria

by croisbeauty Updated May 18, 2012

Pizzeria Da Nicola

Italian restaurants have their own rules, you could be hungry as a wolf but they wont open if siesta time. Late afteroon, between 2 and 6pm, is the worst time to feel hunger when in Italy. Most restaurants are closed and they wont open even if you are the Pope himself.

Favorite Dish: Fact is, I wasn't very hungry but wanted to taste spaghetti con muscoli, since I haven't had them for a very long time.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Il Pitosforo & Chuflay Bar: Keep off of this places

by croisbeauty Written Sep 29, 2011

Il Pitosforo

I will never understand those people who worshiping human idols or celebrities, as they call them nowadays. What impulse one must have if spending hours of time in front of some place and waiting his/her idol to show up in front of the crowd? What motif it could be to have lunch or dinner in the same restaurant where his/her idol was before, even if knowing well that lunch or dinner could cost a fortune?
    "Il Pitosforo" and "Chuflay Bar" are world famous restaurants but not because they offering the best food or wines, this restaurants are famous because of the famous clients (celebrities) who had lunch or dinner here.

Favorite Dish: Can you imagine, in restaurants we usually pay for the food and drinks, in Il Pitosforo or Chuflay bar however, one must pay even the chair. Believe it or not but as soon as you seat down it cost you 10 euros, per capita! If you check the menu could have another shock because average food cost around 100 euros, per capita!
    I am glad if able to suggest some good restaurants to fellow VT members, this time I am glad if suggesting not to visit this two restaurants if worshiping own money.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

LA GRITTA: fashionable.. and overpriced

by call_me_rhia Written Jul 23, 2010

The American bar La Gritta has been part of the Portofino since since 1954. It’s well known for its sushi and sashimi, prepared fresh by chef Watanabe - but there’s also an Italian chef who prepares typical Ligurian dishes.
    La Gritta is open daily 10AM-3AM, except November through may, when it closes on MOnday

Favorite Dish: We only stopped for a drink and a slice of cake and since I don't remember what we ordered, it must not have been that good – as we had expected, however, it was definitely overpriced...

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Panificio Canale: the perfect farinata

by call_me_rhia Written Jul 22, 2010

The day we went to Portofino was a really warm and sunny day… and we wanted to make the mosto f it and not waste too much time (and money) in a restaurant… so we decided to go to the Pasticceria/Panificio Canale to buy some local focaccia and then head to the seafront in the cobbled square and have a sort of picnic.

Favorite Dish: Pasticceria/Panificio Canale specializes in focaccia… a typical local yeast flat bread that can be made traditionally (with salt) or else with many other ingredients – for instance cheese, onions or olives – to name just a few. We also had some delicious farinata, a sort of flat bread made with chickpea flour.

• MM212's Profile Photo

Ristorante la Stella: Ligurian Seafood

by MM212 Updated Mar 9, 2010

Overlooking the harbour, Ristorante la Stella is one of numerous exquisite restaurants in Portofino. Much like most of the restaurants in town, la Stella serves Ligurian specialites, which tend to include some pesto sauce and a lot of fresh seafood. I chose the restaurant randomly when I stopped in town for lunch and it turned out to be exquisite, but expensive (also like all of the other restaurants). I would happily return here.

• Bregman's Profile Photo

Trattoria Concordia: Away from the crowds

by Bregman Updated Jul 23, 2007

Trattoria Concordia

I got to Portofino on foot. The trail reaches the end of the town, far from the crowded harbour. It was lunch time and I preferred eating with the locals, away from the other tourists. I got a great experience! It was like a scene from a Fellini movie. The restaurant is right next to the local police station and the local policeman was sitting there, chatting with the owner.

Favorite Dish: Being in the vicinity of Genoa, I tried the pesto and some fish as a starter. Both were great. While waiting for the food I examined wine bottles around. I could find bottles from all over the world, even from Israel.

• jlee008's Profile Photo

Expensive, but TASTY!!

by jlee008 Written Mar 8, 2005

This great restaurant by the water under the blue awning in the Portofino harbor was yummy!! Lunch was scrumptious with the seafood pasta that we had. My only complaint was that it was ridiculously expensive. While I didn't mind the 15 Euro entree, the cokes were 8 Euro each and the cover charge (coperto) was 12 Euro a person!!! OMG!!! Kind of a rip-off for a 25 cent US Coke!!! Also, I didn't care for the beggar-like presence of the guitar player. While he added a nice ambiance to the place with his music and the beautiful view, the fact that he walked from table to table for a tip was kind of tacky for a place like this!!!

Favorite Dish: Seafood Pasta. A delicious blend of seafood, pasta, seasoned with garlic and olive oil.

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Da Puny: Great Views

by TRimer Updated Feb 3, 2005

Restaurant Row

This is the place to eat if you want to eat on the harbor. The real joy of dinner chez Puny is watching the man himself perform. Puny remembers the names and little weaknesses of his VIP guests, and entertains the tourists with a mixture of flattery and anecdote.

Favorite Dish: Famous restaurant known for its seafood. The fish is fresh, the lasagna in pesto corto (classic pesto with the addition of a little tomato) is excellent, and the antipasto della casa is an original mix of tasters such as onion flan or grilled pepper and anchovy.

Da Puny is closed on Thursdays.

• myriam_c's Profile Photo

Trattoria Tripoli: Trattoria Tripoli

by myriam_c Written Sep 16, 2004

Lasagna

It's not so easy to find an affordable restaurant in Portofino ; not easy to find a menu with prices displayed either!

Favorite Dish: We had lunch here: mixed salad and lasagna for both. A pitcher of wine and cappuccino. The food was OK, nothing more, nothing less.

Instant Answers: Portofino

Comments

Portofino Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Portofino restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Portofino sightseeing.