Riomaggiore Things to Do

View from our balcony.
    by Henrik_rrb
    Newly married couple in the streets.
    by Henrik_rrb
    View from waterfront of Manorola
    by TooTallFinn24

Most Recent Things to Do in Riomaggiore

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Corniglia

by croisbeauty Updated Jun 9, 2012
    Corniglia from the distance

And this is all what I saw of Corniglia, our guide skipped it as the place is inexcisting. I made this pictures thanks to my long-range lens.
    In my country people says, "ima boga", which means God excisting. It is a saying when someone does something wrong, such as fraud. This trip to Cinque Terre was badly organized and can be considered as a fraud. The tourist agency which organized my trip has failed and bankrupted.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Riomaggiore???

by croisbeauty Written Jun 9, 2012
    Riomaggiore around the train stop

Have it ever crossed your mind, when travelling in a group, that your guide deserves to be killed, terminated? I got that impression after 45 minutes walk of "Via dell'Amore". It wasn't easy walk for me because I am suffering of a spinal problems and was hardly waiting to reach Riomaggiore and take some cold drink and rest a bit before exploring it. But there at the small square, nearby train stop, our guide told us that we wont explore Riomaggiore. Instead of that we shall visit the Carrara marble hills in order to see a special way of preparing bacon in a marble tubs. And thats what our itinerar says.
    This what you see is the only picture of Riomaggiore which I took.

• basstbn's Profile Photo

Walk the Via dell' Amore

by basstbn Updated Nov 21, 2011

The Via dell'Amore (Path of Love) is possibly the best-known feature of Italy's Cinque Terre region. Part of Italy's national park system, it winds along the rocky Ligurian coast linking the five quaint villages. Some sections, such as the Riomaggiore to Manarola pathway shown in this tip, are an easy stroll, even for seniors such as my wife and I. Others are steep and best suited for those in good hiking condition. At the time of our visit, one section had been closed due to a landslide.

Soon after arriving in Cinque Terre and getting settled in Riomaggiore, Nancy and I chose to walk to Manarola, even though the sky was dark and there were hints of rain. We experienced spells of sunshine, dark clouds, and light rains, but nothing to spoil the occasion. The photos shown here, and additional pictures in a Travelog, are from that walk.

• Photography

• basstbn's Profile Photo

Hang About at the Harbor

by basstbn Written Nov 21, 2011

Like most people who had not visited Italy, I had romantic views in my mind of a) Roman ruins; b) rustic hilltop villages; c) tiny little harbors crowded with fishing boats.

In Riomaggiore I was able to actually experience that third vision - it is real, not just a dream!

-more to come-

• Photography

• SJTravel's Profile Photo

Start the Hike in Riomaggiore

by SJTravel Updated Apr 4, 2011

Many people/guidebooks will suggest starting the hike through the 5 villages in Monterosso Al Mare because the most difficult leg of the hike is from Monterosso to Vernazza. However, I would suggest starting the hike in Riomaggiore. The main reason is that when you finish in Monterosso you will be going down steps (as opposed to if you start in Monterosso going up steps. If you do that, your legs will be tired right at the start of the hike). The second reason I would start in Riomaggiore is because as you are hiking, the sun will be at your back as opposed to staring you in the face. It will be much easier for you to see the trail with the sun at your back. While I agree that the most difficult part of the hike was from Vernazza to Monterosso, it wasn't that strenuous that I was exhausted after having hiked all the way from Riomaggiore. So I had enough energy, just pace yourself and take breaks. You will be fine.

• SJTravel's Profile Photo

Start the hike early

by SJTravel Updated Apr 4, 2011

It is best to start the hike as early as possible. That way, you won't be too run down from heat. And the trail will be less crowded. I started around 9 AM when I visited in May and found that to be a really good start time. There was only one person on the trail with me from Riomaggiore to Manarola. After Manarola to Corniglia, I started to see more people, but not too many. Then from Corniglia the rest of the way, I found myself seeing the same few people. When they would stop, I would pass them. Then I would stop and they would pass me. So I had a few "hiking buddies" through the roughest parts of the hike. But it was great because the sun didn't start to become a real factor until I was nearly to Vernazza. It started to warm up before then though, about the time I got to Corniglia. A few people I knew started the hike around 11AM and they said that the sun was very debilitating. It definitely sucked a lot of their energy. I recommend starting as early as you can.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Riomaggiore Harbour

by sue_stone Updated Apr 4, 2011

Riomaggiore Harbour

The harbour at Riomaggiore is pretty tiny!

There is a steep ramp for small fishing boats and it is very rocky. The locals sun themselves on the rocky outcrops.

There is a path along the edge of the harbour where you can sit and look out at the ocean and the brightly coloured boats.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

The Beach !???

by sue_stone Updated Apr 4, 2011

Riomaggiore Beach

The beach at Riomaggiore isn't much of a beach - well from an Aussie girls point of view anyway!

There is no sand - just uncomfortable looking rocks.....I wouldn't think it was the best place to relax, though there have been plenty of people there on the two occasions I have been in Riomaggiore.

• davequ's Profile Photo

Hike the Via dell'Amore to Manarola

by davequ Updated Apr 4, 2011

Lovely Manarola @ end of Via dell'Amore

A short hike from Riomaggiore on the ocean to the next villiage (Manarola) along the narrow Via dell'Amore is very beautiful, with the waves crashing below you.

All the Cinque Terre is for hiking, and all of it is beautiful & inspiring.

• davequ's Profile Photo

You have to see Vernazza

by davequ Updated Apr 4, 2011

Vernazza harbor on a calm day

Some take the train (a short 15-min ride) and some hike for a couple of hours from Riomaggiore to Vernazza.
    Vernazza is the most popular of the small towns in the Cinque Terre.
    Good food and wonderful views & vistas, not to mention the great hikes.
    A picture perfect villiage on the Italian Riviera.

• JohanIsWeg's Profile Photo

Hike the Sentiero Azzurro

by JohanIsWeg Written Jul 31, 2010

Vernazza

The coastal route between Riomaggiore and Monterosso al Mare is called the Sentiero Azzuro. It stretches about 12km along a spectacularly scenic coastline, passing through picture-perfect towns precariously perched on steep slopes. Sentiero Azzuro means "sky-blue" path and is marked by a white stripe and sky-blue stripe.

From Riomaggiore it is an easy 20 to 30 minute walk to Manarola (about 1km). From Manarola it remains fairly pedestrian for about an hour until the Scala Lardarina, a taxing flight of 33 steps climbing steeply to Corniglia's elevated position (about 2km). After a well-deserved break, it is gradually downhill for the 90 minute hike to Vernazza (about 4km). The two hour tramp between Vernazza and Monterosso al Mare is probably the most challenging with narrow paths and a series of climbs (about 3km).

Care should be taken in wet conditions, because the paths become very slippery.

Purchase a Cinque Terre Card at a railway station, which allows access onto the Sentiero Azzuro. For prices, visit: http://www.parconazionale5terre.it/5terrecardsnuovo_2.asp?id_lingue=2

• National/State Park
    • Mountain Climbing

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Chiesa parrocchiale di San Giovanni Battista

by call_me_rhia Written Jul 24, 2010

St John the Baptist Church, is a church dating back to 1340. It was built by Antonio Fieschi, bishop of Luni and has a grey façade. The only elements that adorn it are the white lancet windows, the five little statues and the Gothic doors adorned with anthropomorphous and zoomorphic symbols.

The church as we see it today is the result of a 1870 remodeling; in this occasion the church was enlarged and the original rose window replaced. Don’t miss the wooden Maragliano crucifix inside. Stunning!

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

sea life and argentinian murales

by call_me_rhia Written Jul 24, 2010

Silvio di Benedetto, who was born in Buenos Aires in 1938, is a painter and sculptor – but he is best known for his moving murals – which can be found all over south America and in Italy, in particular in the Cinqueterre area.

You can admire his large murals in the 5 stazioni railway stations of Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso. – as well as another large mural on the facade of the town hall. The title is “Parco dell'uomo tra mito e realtà” and is all about people and their life by the sea.

• ruki's Profile Photo

La Chiesa Di San Giovanni Battista

by ruki Written Apr 27, 2010

This is the main Riomaggiore church . The church is located in the upper part of the village (left in the picture) and it was built in 1340 by Antonio Fieschi. Only few elements of the original structure remained: lancet windows and two Gothic doors. In 1870 church was rebuilt in neogothic style then replacing the original rose window.

• Architecture

• ruki's Profile Photo

The oratory of San Rocco

by ruki Updated Apr 23, 2010

next to castle

The oratory is located next to the castle on the hill of Cerrico. It was built in 1480 after a plague as remembrance of plague which stroke the community. Inside there is a triptych representing the Virgin with the Child and Saints.On the picture it is the white house right from the castle.

Instant Answers: Riomaggiore

Comments

Riomaggiore Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Riomaggiore things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Riomaggiore sightseeing.