Città Bassa, Bergamo
Located in Citta Bassa, on Largo Bortolo Belotti 1 CHIESA DI SAN BARTOLOMEO stands at the end of Via Sentierone, a beautiful pedestrian walkway.
Built in Baroque style, the church was constructed from 1613 to 1642. It houses a large painting, a masterpiece by Lorenzo Lotto, called Pala Martinengo.
The Memorial Tower of Bergamo or TORRE DEI CADUTI DE BERGAMO is located in Citta Bassa, the lower part of the City, in Piazza Vittorio Veneto, at the beginning of Sentierone.
Built after the First World War, in memory of the Fallen. Thc Clocks symbolize the passing of time. Just under one of the the clocks, is a niche containing a bronze statue of Vittoriosa holding "Victory" in his right hand and his sword in his left hand. The Lunette window of two cherubs, hold the coat of arms of Bergamo.
In the interior, on one of the five floors, you will find black marble walls with the names of the Fallen engraved in gold.
gLocated in Citta' Bassa, at the corner of Porta Nuova and Via Papa Giovanni XXIII and very near our Hotel ARLI, is the very impressive church SANTA MARIA IMMACOLATA DELLE GRAZIE.
The origins of the church go back as far as 1422, when a convent, dedicated to Santa Maria Delle Grazie, was built on the site. The beautiful cloisters have been preserved within the church buildings, although the convent itself was suppressed at the beginning of the 19th century.
The Neo-classical design for the church, was created between 1855 and 1857 by architect Antonio Preda and the first stone was laid May 1, 1857.
Favorite thing: The town of Bergamo is composed of two parts; Citta Bassa (the Low Town) which represents the modern part of the town situated in the plain of the river Po, and Citta Alta (the Upper Town) situated on the top of the hill representing the historic core of the town.
The Biblioteca Tiraboschi library is a modern building and was opened in 2004.
It is located at:
Via San Bernardino 74
Mo-Th: 8:30AM - 7PM
Fr: 8:30AM - 10:30PM
Sa: 8:30 - 6PM
The Anima Mundi Statue is made by the local Bergamo sculpter Ugo Riva.
It os located in front of the Credito Bergamasco bank and was made for the 120th anniversary of that institution.