Bergamo Nightlife

by Gillybob

Most Recent Nightlife in Bergamo

The Ritual: Popular Irish Victorian Bar

by suvanki Updated Dec 10, 2013

Well it took us a while to find this place open, during our visits to Bergamo when planning our big Eurmeet in 2012.
    We finally found it open on the last night of our meet, when an international gang were in need of a night cap or two.
    located on a side street off the Main Street Papa Giovanni, this is a Victorian, Irish Pub, with great atmosphere and Guinness!

We recently visited it twice during a recent weekend break in Bergamo and it was quite crowded both nights

To be continued.....

Dress Code: Mainly populated by students at our latest visits - casual attire, but with Italian styling!

Pub 212 Barcode: Late night bar -

Bar Code 212

UPDATE - not sure if this bar is still here or not - have visited Bergamo a few times since, and although not looking for this place, haven't noticed it - will do some research!
    After enjoying our meal at Albergo Piemontese, we decided to find somewhere to enjoy a drink, before heading back to our hotel.

Patsy spotted a likely place, and so we headed over to this trendy looking bar located in the old archways. We were escorted up a flight of stairs and shown to cafeteria style seats in a mezzanine level overlooking the bar.

It was mainly a young trendy crowd, that were seated in this area, and I hate to admit it, but the music was a bit too loud, and not really my type of music, so chatting was a bit difficult.

We perused the list of cocktails. I chose a prosecco and strawberry drink (pic 3), the others chose champagne cocktails, while Debs went for her favourite Jack Daniels.

While we waited for our drinks we indulged in a bit of people watching, and down stairs, we could see our drinks being made at the bar.

No smoking inside, so it's a walk downstairs and outside.

This bar has many levels, with rooms off the staircase. On the way to find the toilets, I managed to find the kitchens, and a lift to the VIP lounge!

The toilets are worth a visit!

Dress Code: Smart casual. Jeans allowed. Bergamos young and trendy head here apparently.

• Women's Travel

Tucans: Irish pub in Citta Alta

Tucans Irish pub

UPDATE - June 2012, this pub is no longer here ;-(. However, there is a Tucan bar near to the funicular stop, still Irish themed, where we enjoyed a few bevvies during Eurmeet 2012 - The Guinness is still good! Not sure if this is the same owners etc relocated.
    I'll make a new tip on this place as soon as I can.

I'd passed by this popular and cosy looking bar a few times during my previous visit, but as I was by myself, I found a quieter bar for a drink.

I was quite pleased that on my 2nd visit to Bergamo, with 'The Girlz', after our meal, we decided to call in here for 'a night-cap'. Well that was our intention-1 drink, then catch the funicular and back to the hotel -It had been a long day for us.

Hmmmmm! who were the last ones in the place? Yes, the funicular had stopped running long before we left in the early hours.

Quite a few people have questioned why if we were in Italy we had to go to an Irish bar? Well surprisingly, there were many locals in here - it has character, and the Guinness was good.

Yes, there's Guinness memorabilia on the walls etc, and in the window display, but I didn't hear any twee 'Oirish Drinking songs'

The bar is quite small, with dark wood floors and furnishings. Small raised tables with stools and a raised platform area with more seating and tables.

No smoking inside - smoking outside on the street.

We ordered pints of Guinness and settled down for a natter and laugh, when we were joined by a group of Norwegian men, who were staying at the same hotel as us.

We had a great night/early morning in here!

Dress Code: Casual- smart casual.

• Study Abroad

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Bar Flora (at night): Great location!

by toonsarah Written Aug 6, 2012

Piazza Vecchia at night

My first visit to Bar Flora was with VT friends Antonio, Elena, Isa and Manuel – though it was not to be my last! We came here for drinks on the Friday evening after dinner in Bassa, as we were the small group staying up in Alta and decided to drink “close to home”. The bar’s location, in one corner of the beautiful Piazza Vecchia, was just perfect. We all found our preferred beverage on the menu (I had an excellent grappa – others drank beer, whisky, tea, limoncello and mojito). There was music and activity in the piazza, as part of the national holiday celebrations, and the evening was pleasantly warm. A super end to the last full day of the meeting.

On later occasions I came here several times for pre-dinner drinks with Chris, and with VTers, and each time was happy with the drinks I chose, the service and especially the location. Given the latter, prices are reasonable here – it is not one of those places where you are charged double for the privilege of sitting in the main square!

This was one of two bars that became favourites during my short stay in Bergamo – my next tip will take us to the other, Ca del Fasa

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Ca del Fasa: A welcoming bar

by toonsarah Written Aug 6, 2012

Chris and I discovered this cosy little bar after dinner on the Saturday evening of the VT weekend, and proceeded to visit it on all three of our evenings together here! It’s perfect for an after-dinner digestif (or two!) There are only a few tables, with a couple strategically placed by the window so you can combine drinking with people-watching. The prices are reasonable and the staff friendly, and there’s a mixed clientele – couples of various ages, a single guy or two drinking beer at the bar and chatting to the staff, maybe a small group of friends. It isn’t large enough, and doesn’t have the right atmosphere, to attract large groups or rowdy drinkers – which suited us fine.

They also serve food but I didn’t check out the menu as we only ever came after dinner. They also appear to have occasional live music, judging by what I found when I did a Google search. I can only imagine that this must be in a back room as it seemed too small for that to me on our visits.

So after our exploration of Alta’s “nightlife” let us continue our explorations by visiting the sights that we saw on the Sunday, starting with the Campanone.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

The Ritual Bar: Another great Irish!

by Gillybob Written Jul 21, 2012
    The Ritual Pub

There's one in every town! An Irish pub, that is. And this is Bergamo's offering - and a great offering it is, too.

During our research trips to Bergamo, we had struggled to ever find the place open, but when it came to the crunch - it was open! We had a lovely end of evening here on the Sunday of EurMeet, catching up with friends and generally chatting, putting the world to right!

This public house offers a great selection of beers and whiskeys as well as a generously stocked 'top shelf'.

OPENING HOURS :
    Monday : 19:00 - 02:00
    Tuesday to Friday : 12:00 - 02:00
    Saturday and Sunday : 16:00 - 02:00

Dress Code: Casual.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Varadero Jazz Cafe: Strangely eclectic!

by Gillybob Updated Jul 20, 2012

Varadero Jazz Cafe

In March 2012 we walked past this bar during the day on Saturday before returning to it on Tuesday for a drink just before Happy Hour.

In June 2012, we returned during the evening on the Friday of EurMeet. Whilst it refers to itself as a jazz cafe, our evening visit found us presented with a selection of music, none of which was jazz! However, the service was good and prices reasonable.

The bar has indoor seating at the front and rear (with a mezzanine in the rear) as well as outdoor seating.

Dress Code: None observed.

Caffe della Funicolare: Good Beer, Good Atmosphere and GREAT View

Stylish Art Deco Entrance

This is a rather stylish Art Deco cafe/bar at the funicular's top station and so ideal for a swift beer whilst waiting for your train - or a slow couple until a car arrives at a time which matches your drinking pace ;-HIC!

In my case it was time for a swift couple and then catch the last train of the night - which I was told would be at midnight.

When I first walked in the place looked deserted apart from a couple of people ordering drinks at the bar but there was a certain tangible atmosphere - just without any obvious crowd to have created it.

So I ordered my beer (another little piece of transplanted Brussels) and then realised upon looking out through the patio doors that the terrace, on a warm early June late evening, was absolutely heaving. Every table was taken with drinkers and diners and no wonder given the night-time view over the lower city.

My couple of beers went down extremely well - a bit pricey but yep this is Citta Alta and a bar with probably one of the best views in Italy. I never did catch that last funicular though - but that's another story.

• Photography
    • Trains

• johngayton's Profile Photo

La Birreria: Brussels in Bergamo!!

Night-time Frontage

Unfortunately it was a very quiet night on the Sunday we dropped by here for a late after dinner beer. The bar was characterful enough, service smilingly helpful but with only a few other tables occupied it was a bit lacking in atmosphere.

I should imagine though that when it is busy it rocks and I was particularly impressed with the range of beers on offer - 7 taps and almost 50 bottles with most of them being Belgian including several Trappistes.

I noticed what looked like a Scotish beer amongst the bottled selection - Gordon's "Finest Red" which turned out to be yet another Belgian import but none the worse for that - I loved the thistle-shaped glass too.

Maybe next time I'll catch it on a busier night.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Bar Flora: Another Proper Pub!!

Late Night Frontage

During the day this is a popular cafe/bar with its popular terrace overlooking the Piazza Vecchia. Later in the evening though it becomes much more pubby and on a warm evening the terrace becomes an outdoor drinking den with a good local buzz from both the other customers and from the square in general.

I had one late evening beer here on my way back to the funicular and then dropped by the following afternoon for a couple more before our Sunday dinner which was held across the road at Il Sole.

If I remember correctly beers were a tad on the expensive side - 5 Euros for a small one - but it is a great position - on what has been described as "One of Italy's most beautiful squares.", and Alta is generally more expensive than Bassa anyway.

• Architecture

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Papageno Pub di Miccoli Alberto: A Proper Pub!!

by johngayton Written Jul 19, 2012

Our Very Own Toonsarah In Prime Position!!

Whilst in Citta Bassa proper pubs are a bit thin on the ground - most bars are those of cafes and tend to shut relatively early - up in Citta Alta there is a handful of cracking little bars clustered around the main drag from the funicular to Piazza Mascheroni.

Pub Alberto is a characterful little one-room affair, at the start of Via Colleoni, offering an eclectic range of beers - six on tap, plus bottles - which has a proper drinking den atmosphere. Staff are friendly and seem to know what they are selling and on a warm late evening in June the prime position was at one of the window tables. With the windows open you get the best of both worlds by being able to absorb the pub atmosphere and simultaneously take part in the buzzy street life passing by.

• Hiking and Walking

Bergamo Avvenimenti: How To Find Out What's Happening

by johngayton Written Jul 16, 2012

Early Evening Peformance At Palazzo Nuovo...

During the course of our weekend here I noticed various happenings around both upper and lower Bergamo. We, of course, had a pretty full schedule of our own happenings but should I ever return the first thing I'd do is pick up a copy the local listings magazine - "Bergamo Avvenimenti".

This seems to be a monthly publication produced on behalf of the Provincial and City tourist offices and has a daily diary of all the main events in the city and the region - music, theatre, exhibitions etc. It also has some featured events and a little section of selected "things to do". This is a freebie and copies can be obtained from the tourist offices, hotels and B&B's and I noticed copies in a couple of the bars too.

• Theater Travel
    • Music

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Mister Michetta: Took A Bit Of Finding!

by johngayton Written Jul 15, 2012

Mr Michetta's

I was kinda surprised to find that most of the popular bars and cafes seem to close quite early in Citta Bassa - I've since heard a rumour that late licences are difficult to get due to pressure from the church.

On the Friday evening a small splinter group of us - myself, Gareth, Vicky and Alison, were sitting having a beer outside one of the cafes on the main road just up from the Porta Nuova. I'm not sure exactly what time it was, but it wasn't that late, but when we tried to order a second round of beers we were told that the place was shutting. Hmmm...

Fortunately Gareth and Vicky had found a late bar the night before which was close to their hotel and so off we trekked. This turned out to be a quiet little place with only a couple of other tables occupied but at least it was open, the beer was relatively cheap, service pleasant enough and so a few more were enjoyed before we bade each other goodnight and headed our separate ways.

• Hiking and Walking

Vox: Great happy hour!

by Gillybob Updated Apr 9, 2012

Vox

Happy hour can be enjoyed at many of the bars around Bergamo. Vox is located on Via Papa Giovanni XXIII and, therefore, is enjoyed by many of the hotel guests from the hotels located on that road; it is located next door to the Mercure Palazzo Dolci.

We called in on a couple of evenings to enjoy an early drink during Happy Hour (usually lasting from 17:30 to around 19:30). In Bergamo, Happy Hour means that your drinks arrive with a selection of snacks and nibbles which can vary in amount, quality and nature.

In VOX, Happy Hour consists of a full buffet which is spread along the bar and counter spaces, and is regularly replenished when plates and bowls get close to empty.

We ordered our drinks (a draught beer and Aperol Spritz), paying €5.00 each (€6 on Sunday) and soon discovered that this then allowed us to enjoy as much of the buffet as we desired - what a great way to have a cheap evening 'meal'! During our visits we enjoyed bruschetta, potato, crisps, cold meats, olives, salads, dips, slim pizza slices, etc. - all of which were delicious.

The bar also has a restaurant on the upper level to the rear.

Dress Code: Casual - we were there at the end of a day of walking around Bergamo whilst others had clearly finished work for the day.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Caffè Falconi: Wine, Whisky and .....

by suvanki Updated Mar 31, 2012

Caff�� Falconi - bar

CITTA BASSA

Caffe Falconi was one of those 'Happy Finds' Handily located between our accommodation and Porta Nuova!

Our first visit co-incided with 'Happy Hour'. I ordered an Aperol Spritz and Gilly opted for a glass of Valcolepia Rosso - a locally produced wine, which Gilly decided was the best that she'd tasted -so far! This cost 9.50 Euros for our 2 drinks

Our 'Happy Hour' nibbles included salted peanuts, crisps, pretzels, bread and thin slices of cold meat (pic 2)
    We noticed that there was a selection of plates containing some interesting looking appetisers, but weren't sure if we were entitled to sample these!

Seating outside - a couple of small tables and chairs on the pavement, while the main bar is lined with dark wood shelves containing a vast array of wine bottles (the bar is also a wine shop) and a small selection of preserved foods. Dark wood tables and chairs, provide a comfortable place to relax over a drink and 'people watch'

At the back of the bar, past the 'hidden' WC's, is another room, with seating for about 20 people - this is quite basic. Outside, is a further 'room' a glass box - not sure if this was a smoking area.

The clientele here, were of a 'mature age' (as were the staff)- The Velvet Pub opposite appeared to cater for the younger crowd, with music/karaoke etc.

This felt like an 'established business' where people visit to enjoy a good drink and a chat - no loud music drowning out conversation.

While there is a wide selection of wines -and whisky/spirits, there is only one draught beer pump here.

We returned here on the Sunday night for a nightcap - a glass each of Valcolepio!

We'll Be Back ..........!

Dress Code: Smart Casual appeared to be the norm - Guess there may be a smattering of VT attire the first weekend of June 2012!

Instant Answers: Bergamo

Comments

Bergamo Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Bergamo nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bergamo sightseeing.