Bergamo Restaurants

Salmon filled ravioli.
    Burger.

Most Recent Restaurants in Bergamo

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Vox Restaurant and Lounge Bar.: Happy hour in the lower city.

by Maurizioago Updated Mar 17, 2015

I haven' t tried the restaurant at Vox, but I had a non alcoholic drink with various finger food.

Vox is a good place to visit at the so-called happy hour. This is a period of time, usually from 5.30 p. m. to 9 p. m. when you can have a drink (alcoholic or non alcoholic) accompanied with various nibbles (chips, olives and more).

After a short stroll in the lower part of the city I went to this cafe-restaurant. A group of VTers were sitting outside enjoying their drinks and their food (see Euro VT meeting). I headed to the counter and asked the bartender for a drink. He prepared a non alcoholic fruit one. At happy hour time you can help yourself with the food you see on the plates on the counter. I took a dish and filled it with various food. I went to the outside area and joined the VT group.

The evening I was at Vox there was a good choice of food. Bits of pizza, tortillas, potatoes, aubergines and other good things.

May 2014; update. I went at Vox twice during my latest visit to Bergamo. I had a fruit drink at the happy hour. I liked it. The nibbles were good as well.

Pic taken by VTer Balam.  Thanks Gareth! My non alcoholic fruit drink with some nibbles.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Sweet Irene.: Biological food and drinks.

by Maurizioago Updated Mar 17, 2015

Sweet Irene is a nice cafe located in the lower area of Bergamo. It is made of two rooms. One of these is downstairs. It is a kind of cellar.

Here you can have food as quiches and sandtwiches, but you can choose your meal from the menu of the day.

At this cafe they have a good selection of pastries and cakes.

Favorite Dish: The first time I went there I had a vegetable quiches which I liked it. As a dessert I asked a muffin and a Americano coffee.

Another time I had lunch there I choose bread with hummus and soya (I am sorry, but I can' t remember what the filling was) I liked it. That time I had Americano coffee and a muffin as well.

I have to say that muffins at Sweet Irene were very good.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Pasticceria Sant' Anna.: Happy hour at lunchtime.

by Maurizioago Updated Mar 17, 2015

After a long walk from Upper Bergamo, through via Pignolo and via Borgo Palazzo I arrived at piazza Sant' Anna. I think it was around 1 p .m. and I was going to find a restaurant or something like that. I went inside this confectionery probably because I spotted something to eat on a table from outside. I asked the bartender if they served first courses. She said they didn' t, but she suggested me to have an aperitivo (a pre meal drink). It would have come with various appetizers. I asked a non alcoholic fruit drink. The waiter took it with a plate full of slices of toasted bread with various toppings (tuna, cheese...). Once I ate all the appetizers I could have as many as I liked from a table. I did it.

Favorite Dish: The day I was at that pasticceria there weren' t many kinds of appetizers, but I liked them much.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Pizza and Co: Great snacks to eat in or take away

by Gillybob Updated Aug 8, 2014

Suvanki and I had booked room only at the Mercure Palazzo Dolci (where breakfast will cost you an additional €10) which gave us a great opportunity to pick up breakfast at one of the local cafes.

We stopped at Pizza and Co one morning and enjoyed a traditional Italian breakfast consisting of coffee and a pastry. The cafe has some seating downstairs with additional seating upstairs. We decided to sit at a tall table on stools next to the doors where we could watch the public passing by on their business.

The cappuccino was perfect and my pastry delicious too. The elderly gentleman (maybe the owner) had a steady stream of customers whilst we were there.

Additionally to the various breakfast items, this cafe also sells panini, sandwiches and pizza by the slice (tranci). The cafe was clean and all the items looked very appetising.

Favorite Dish: My pastry was delicious, although I regrettably don't remember it's specific name. For €2.10 (accurate at December 2011) you had a selection of 4/5 pastries and a cappuccino which was a great way to start the day.

Pizza and Co Cappuccino and pastry

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Ristorante Il Sole: Service and great local fare!

by Gillybob Updated Aug 8, 2014

This restaurant was recommended to us when we were looking for suitable restaurants which would be large enough to accommodate our EurMeet attendees during June 2012.

In March 2012, we had the opportunity to eat here ourselves. As we often do, Sue and I shared an antipasti that was a selection of salami and local meats which was served with a bowl of pickles (bread was part of the coperto).

As our main course, we decided to try this restaurant's Casoncelli alla Bergamasca, Bergamo's traditional dish. This was very pleasant but didn't rate as our favourite within Bergamo.

I enjoyed a semifreddo for dessert - this is a soft mousse-cum-ice cream that is flavoured with liquor.

We concluded our meal with coffee and limoncello - which is delicious.

Favorite Dish: Great starters! We had a lovely platter of local meats (served with pickled vegetables) in March and the starters selection for our group meal in June was excellent too.

This restaurant is closed on Thursdays.

Ristorante Il Sole Antipasti Coffee and Limoncello Casoncelli alla Bergamasca Semifreddo

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Antica Trattoria La Columbina: Great local food!

by Gillybob Updated Aug 8, 2014

We were referred to La Columbina by their sister restaurant within the walls of Citta Alta, Pizzeria Da Franco. La Columbina is located just outside the walls of Citta Alta near the upper funicular station next door to where Donizetti, the composer, was born.

Regardless of the small doorway, the restaurant is surprisingly large inside and comprises 3 dining rooms and a terrace. The restaurant is decorated with a variety of wooden tables and chairs with a selection of prints decorating the walls.

Our meal was very good and the service good without making you feel rushed.

We enjoyed an antipasti (starter) of crostone di polenta which was a platter of cheese, salami and baked polenta which Suvanki and I shared. Chiara and Alex shared an Assortimente di Salami antipasta which included a selection of cold meats and pickles with polenta. Each of these antipasti were €8.00.

We then each enjoyed a primo piatti (first course) each which included Casoncelli alla Bergamo (sausage shaped pasta stuffed with meat and served with lardons, butter, sage and grated cheese) €8.00, crespelle (savoury pancakes) €8.00, tagliatelle (pasta - this variety served with a sauce containing dried fruits) €8.00 and polenta tarragona con porcini (polenta with tarragon and porcini mushrooms) €12.00.

With drinks (bottle of water €2.00, soft drink €3.00, beer €3.00, glass of wine €3.00 and 4 coffees at €2 each) our billed totalled €79.00 which included a cover charge (coperte) of €2.00 each.

The restaurant is closed Monday and Tuesday each week and opens from 12:15 to 14:15 for lunch and 19:30 to 22:30 for dinner).

Favorite Dish: We each had a taster of the dishes and I enjoyed all my little samples. The Casoncelli alla Bergamo (a local speciality) was delicious, as was the tagliatelle.

At the conclusion of our meal, two bottles were placed on our table for us to enjoy digestifs, namely Amaro and a Mirtillo liquer, both were very pleasant.

A very good meal in pleasant company and surroundings.

The restaurant also offers a selection of fixed-price menus for parties and large gatherings; we chose one of these menus for our group meal during EurMeet (2012) which had 86 attendees. They split our group between two of the dining rooms which isn't the best of options but both were large enough to take good sized groups who were able to mingle later as we were not rushed out of the restaurant. For group bookings, the restaurant normally requires a security deposit.

Restaurant entrance Dining room Antipasti Tagliatelle Polenta tarragon con porcini

Grom: Ice Cream Heaven!

by Gillybob Updated Aug 8, 2014

When planning our trip to Bergamo, Suvanki was very clear of an absolute need to pay homage to the home of Italian ice cream (in her opinion), Grom. She was keen to try the shop in Bergamo (which she had previously visited) again as well as two shops in Padova.

Our first stop was on the way to our hotel - probably within 45 minutes of Suvanki arriving in Italy!

I have to say, her judgement is well-founded. My first selection was a coni medio (medium cone) with caffe (coffee) and panna montata (whipped cream) - it was divine.

A second visit led me to try a coni medio with dark chocolate fondant ice cream and strawberry sorbet - this taught me the lesson to think carefully about choosing flavours; whilst both the chocolate and strawberry were, independently delicious, together, the chocolate overpowered the strawberry.

In Bergamo, Grom is situated in the Citta Bassa on Viale Papa Giovanni XXIII.

Favorite Dish: The coffee ice cream is still one of my favourite flavours - but there's many a flavour still to be tried! More importantly, you have to visit at various times of the year, as flavours change with seasons.

Prices :

Friday & Saturday 12:00pm - 00:00am
    Sunday 10:30am - 10:30pm

Grom Bergamo Counter in Grom Dark chocolate fondant and strawberry

• Balam's Profile Photo

Bar Genio Pizzeria: The Best!

by Balam Updated Jul 7, 2014

Fantastico!!

I only wish we had eaten here on our first night, we could have saved a fortune and eaten the best food all week!! this place really is the place to go. It is a fantastic little restaurant were mamma still cooks the food and the sons and daughters wait on.
    The food was really nice,we only managed to go twice which was a real shame, we should have gone every night!

Bar Genio Pizzeria Bar Genio Pizzeria Bar Genio Pizzeria Bar Genio Pizzeria Mamma
    • Singles

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Vineria Cozzi di Miliona: Fantastic dinner in a pretty setting

by toonsarah Updated Apr 24, 2014

I had some lovely meals in Bergamo, but the best by a long way was this, our final dinner at the Vineria Cozzi. The restaurant had caught my eye earlier in the day, with its narrow courtyard opening off Via Bartolomeo Colleoni, prettily decorated in a fresh, modern style. I was concerned it might look a bit too girly to appeal to Chris (lots of pink!) but luckily the menu was tempting enough for both of us.

You enter the restaurant not through that courtyard but through the bar and wine-shop next door. We were shown to a table in one corner of the equally pretty room beyond the courtyard and welcomed with a basket of crusty bread, good olive oil for dipping, and popcorn! We settled down to make some very difficult choices from the menu.

Our starters were absolutely excellent! Mine was Uovo in tazza con fonduta, tartufo nero e canolo di parmigiano – “Egg in cup with mini cheese fondue, black truffle and parmesan rolled biscuit”. I gave Chris one taste, and he spent the next ten minutes or so begging for more and bemoaning the fact that he had not ordered the same! But in truth his own choice was just as good – a Selezione di formaggi locali, “selection of local cheeses”. These were served with jams and chutneys as is typical here, and on a slate marked out with arrows and numbers to indicate the recommended order of eating, from mildest to strongest (see photo three).

Our mains were almost as good. We both went for primi – Chris had possibly the best Casoncelli con pancetta, burro e salvia of the several I tasted in Bergamo, while my Risotto con zafferano, zucchini e mandorle tostate (“saffron risotto, zucchini and toasted almonds”) was subtly flavoured and cooked to perfection.

With food this good, we had to find room for dessert! The menu was brought, but with it another aid to selection, in the form of a 3D Viewmaster with images of all the desserts – an amusing touch. But I didn’t need the pictures to help me decide on the Semifreddo al passion fruit con spuma al franciacorta brut (“Passion fruit semifreddo with Franciacorta brut foam”) as it sounded light and refreshing – and so it was. Chris also wanted something light and chose the summer berries with shortbread.

Our bill, with cover and two large glasses of very good red wine, was €81 – not cheap, but well worth it for the quality of the food and the overall experience. It came with a little bag of meringues and macaroons (see photo five) which served as part of our lunch the next day on our journey home.

If I go back to Bergamo, a meal here will be high on my list of “must do”s and I recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants a good dining experience in Alta. You can also buy a picnic hamper here if you want a special lunch somewhere. And another nice touch – we drank just a glass of wine each, but I noted that if you want a bottle of wine you can choose from the very wide selection in the shop and pay a small corkage charge on top.

So, something to go back for ...

But, it was time to leave Bergamo, so my final tip is sadly about our flight home to England.

Pretty restaurant Cheese platter Casoncelli With the bill Courtyard from the street

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Il Fornaio: What a display!

by toonsarah Updated Apr 24, 2014

This casual pizzeria and bakery has to have one of the most impressive window displays of any eatery! It is just a shame that for me the experience of eating here didn’t quite live up to the promise of the window. The arrangement here is that you order by the slice from those on display, your selection is weighed to determine the price, and then warmed for you while you pay at the opposite counter. You can then take your choice away to eat outside on the piazza or as you stroll the streets, or go upstairs to the large seating area.

I came for lunch with a couple of VT friends, but while they were served quickly, I found it hard to get the attention of their server, who moved on to someone else rather than take my order. In the end she returned to me and I asked to please serve me quickly as I wanted to join my friends and eat together. She did so, but cut corners on the heating up part of the operation, so my pizza was not as hot as I’d have liked. Still, I was soon on my way upstairs to join the others.

My choice of pizza had an appetising topping – prosciutto, different cheeses and walnuts. The flavour was good, despite the lack of heat. But I was disappointed with the base, which was think and bread-like – more like a US-style deep-pan pizza than the thin base more usual in Italy, and much less to my taste. However, if you like a thick dough base you may enjoy a slice here more than I did - certainly it gets great reviews from others.

The cost depends on the size of your slice, as well as the topping you choose. I paid about €7 for my slice and a bottle of water.

After lunch it was time to carry on exploring Bergamo, with a visit to the Palazzo Moroni.

A photogenic window Il Fornaio at night

• leics's Profile Photo

Caffe del Tasso: Alta: Gelato 3..and the best, imo

by leics Updated Apr 22, 2014

You'd think that ice-cream in Citta Alta's Piazza Vecchia would be more expensive than in Citta Bassa, wouldn't you?

It wasn't. It was cheaper (2.30 euro for a two-flavoured cone).

And I thought it was better ice-cream as well, although that is purely a personal opinion.

Caffe del Tasso has been on Piazza Vecchia for a very long time indeed. The building itself dates from the 1400s, and was known as the 'Locanda Delle due Spade' (Inn of the Two Swords) in 1476. It took the name of the poet Torquato Tasso in 1681, when a statue of that poet was erected in the piazza. An impressive history indeed!

As well as its gelateria counter (lots of flavour choices) and pasticceria, it is a 'proper' cafe, with tables outside and a sit-down area inside.

But I just wanted the ice-cream. And it was lovely! :-)

I had to trim the photo because of all the people sitting outside enjoying their ice-creams!

Not bad for just over 2 euro! :-) Partial cafe exterior!
    • Singles
    • Seniors

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

The Toucan Irish Bar: Friendly place with good food and drink

by IreneMcKay Updated Jan 11, 2014

This bar/ restaurant is neat the funicular station in the upper town. That is the funicular that runs from the lower to the upper town.

We stopped here for dinner. We drank German beer. Let's mix a few cultures, why not? I had delicious salmon filled ravioli in a spicy sauce; my husband had a burger. The waitress could not have been more pleasant and the atmosphere here was relaxed and pleasant.

The Toucan Irish bar. Salmon filled ravioli. Burger.
    • Beer Tasting

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Coperativo Citta Alta Ristoro: Reasonably priced Restaurant in Citta Alta

by suvanki Updated Dec 28, 2013

This was a place that I'd been wanting to eat at for a long time. My first few visits, I didn't find it, and although we visited in 2011, as a possible venue for our 2012 Eurmeet, this was the first time that I got the chance to eat here.

The restaurant is located off the main thoroughfare of Via Colleoni. Originally a monastery, the building has also served as a prison (Saint Agathas)!
    It opened as a restaurant in 1981, to provide a meeting place/social centre for the residents of Citta Alta, particularly the elderly and less affluent, who were becoming isolated by local restaurants, trattorias and shops catering for the influx of tourists and better off locals.. So, there is now a place for them to chat, eat and be entertained. It is still open to tourists/visitors though. The Cooperative also provides meals and a delivery service to the elderly and the needy 7 days a week.
    Also popular with students, families and workers.

Well, Sunday lunch time, the place was very busy. Along with a small queue of other expectant diners, we waited for a table to become free. As we waited we could only salivate as waiting staff whizzed by with plates and dishes of delicious smelling and looking meals. At a nearby table, a couple were perusing 3 menus! One for pizzas. I'd somehow envisaged that this would be a place with a handful of 'home cooking' choices - good hearty and warming dishes suitable for the working men that eat here during the week.

We were shown to our table, which was next to the patio doors that led to the garden - far too cold to eat outside in November. While waiting to be seated, I'd noticed that there were at least two other dining areas and an upstairs area too.

We were given the menu for Sunday 1st December 2013, which listed 5 starters (6-8 Euros), 5 pasta dishes (7 - 8.50 Euros) and 8 main courses (9.50 - 14.00 Euros)

The wine menu was very impressive too. I noticed that nearby fridges were stocked with locally brewed beers - Yes, I'll certainly have to come back here!

Favorite Dish: My starter of potato and porcini mushroom pie with Castelmagno cream (a local cheese) was DE-LIC-IOUS!!!!!!! It was served quite attractively too.

For my main, I was considering the wild boar and polenta, but instead chose the chestnut dumplings in butter, honey and parmesan. - Interesting! Towards the end, I was feeling a bit disappointed with my choice- just dumplings it was becoming a bit monotenous, but since returning home I've had mini cravings for this dish.

I had room (just) for dessert - the waitress ran through the choices - they all sounded wonderful, but I opted for Tirimasu - yes - it served as ' a pick me up'

Our meal was washed down with a 1/4 litre of their house Valcolepio -

Yes, I'd certainly eat here again and would recommend it

Cooperativo Citta Alta Ristorio Cooperativo Citta Alta Ristorio My Potato, Porcini and cheese pie Wild Boar and polenta Menu for 1st December 2013
    • Wine Tasting

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Restaurante Pizzeria "Da Franco": Enjoyable Italian

by Roadquill Updated Dec 23, 2013

We enjoyed a dinner at Da Franco, and although they serve pizza, I would not call it a pizza place. Much better than that. Casual, yet white linen table cloths. The beer was good, the wine was good, the food was good. It seems to be right next to a church so when the church bells went off, we not only heard the bells loudly and clearly, we could feel the vibrations.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the stuffed bell pepper.

• Photography
    • Wine Tasting

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Antica Trattoria - Osterio ai Tre Gobbi: Historical Trattoria in Citta Bassa

by suvanki Updated Dec 10, 2013

CITTA BASSA

Walking around Citta Bassa near the shopping street of XX Settembre, we realised that we were all getting quite hungry, and started to look for somewhere reasonably priced, with locally produced food.

We couldn't see a menu outside, so I wandered inside, to try and find one, but failed! I hadn't realised that this was the back door - there was a printed menu in the front window, which I found when we left.

There was a pleasant atmosphere, with families and friends dining at rustic looking tables, plus a bust of Donizetti above a piano. I liked the look of this place.

Luckily we had Chiara (VTer pollon) and her husband Alex to translate - There wasn't a menu - the waitresses had a hand written note of the available dishes. It was getting quite late for lunch, but there was still a selection of about 4 main courses. The Osteria was still quite busy.

While we waited for our order, Alex explained that tre Gobbi, translated as 3 'hunchbacks'

This is quite an historical Taverna, dating back to 1855. It was a popular meeting place for locals, artists, musicians and even Revolutionaries. One of its most famous customers being Gaetano Donizetti, the local composer, hence the bust and commemorative plaque.

The waitress took our drinks orders first, then reeled off a choice of starters - I asked Chiara to find out the prices - apparently it was a set menu for 10 Euros - Appetiser, Main course and drinks!

This was quite a popular place, and all the tables were full. We were in the main dining area, but there was an outside terrace, and tables through in the front bar area. By the till was a selection of chocolates and Easter goodies.

As we stumbled on this place, and via the back door, It would be difficult to explain how to get here - Thanks to Google here are a map and directions

UPDATE November 2013

Gilly and I ended up being near this restaurant, when we realised that we were ready for lunch.

This time we didn't have our Italian translator with us, but the waitress spoke enough English for us to choose our meal - crespelle again - yummy! grilled vegetables and affogato for dessert, which again was very good. This time the food was freshly cooked and delicious. A pleasant atmosphere and a shop stocked with Christmas chocolates etc!

Favorite Dish: For my starter, I chose a Crespelle (pic 4)- a pancake with chopped vegetables in a cheese sauce - this was quite tasty and very hot!

My main course was a meat escalope - not sure if it was veal or not - There was a choice of boiled or roast potatoes or salad - I opted for the boiled potatoes. The meat was a little dry and a bit crispy around the corners, but the potatoes were nice.

We realised that sadly, the food had been heated in a micro-wave! Presumably a number of dishes are prepared in advance.

I washed this down with a glass of pilsner beer and ended with a coffee.

All in All, it was good value, but a shame about the micro-wave!

I'd probably return for the atmosphere - although the meal lost points for being re-heated/dried out, and the service wasn't over friendly, I still enjoyed eating here.

Chiara and Alex at the main entrance of 3 Gobbi Osteria Tre Gobbi - Donizetti Bust Osteria Tre Gobbi - Back entrance and terrace Osteria Tre Gobbi - my crespelle Osteria Tre Gobbi - escalope and potatoes
    • Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Bergamo

Comments

Bergamo Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bergamo restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bergamo sightseeing.