Bergamo Restaurants

Salmon filled ravioli.
    Burger.

Most Recent Restaurants in Bergamo

• Balam's Profile Photo

Bar Genio Pizzeria: The Best!

by Balam Updated Jul 7, 2014

Bar Genio Pizzeria

Fantastico!!

I only wish we had eaten here on our first night, we could have saved a fortune and eaten the best food all week!! this place really is the place to go. It is a fantastic little restaurant were mamma still cooks the food and the sons and daughters wait on.
    The food was really nice,we only managed to go twice which was a real shame, we should have gone every night!

• Singles

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Sweet Irene.: Biological food and drinks.

by Maurizioago Updated May 28, 2014

Sweet Irene is a nice cafe located in the lower area of Bergamo. It is made of two rooms. One of these is downstairs. It is a kind of cellar.

Here you can have food as quiches and sandtwiches, but you can choose your meal from the menu of the day.

At this cafe they have a good selection of pastries and cakes.

Favorite Dish: The first time I went there I had a vegetable quiches which I liked it. As a dessert I asked a muffin and a Americano coffee.

Another time I had lunch there I choose bread with hummus and soya(?) I liked it. That time I had Americano coffee and a muffin as well.

I have to say that muffins at Sweet Irene were very good.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Vox Restaurant and Lounge Bar.: Happy hour in the lower city.

by Maurizioago Updated May 14, 2014

Pic taken by VTer Balam.  Thanks Gareth!

I haven' t tried the restaurant at Vox, but I had a non alcoholic drink with various finger food.

Vox is a good place to visit at the so-called happy hour. This is a period of time, usually from 5.30 p. m. to 9 p. m. when you can have a drink (alcoholic or non alcoholic) accompanied with various nibbles (chips, olives and more).

After a short stroll in the lower part of the city I went to this cafe-restaurant. A group of VTers were sitting outside enjoying their drinks and their food (see Euro VT meeting). I headed to the counter and asked the bartender for a drink. He prepared a fruit drink. At happy hour time you can help yourself with the food you see on the plates on the counter. I took a dish and filled it with various food. I went to the outside area and joined the VT group.

The evening I was at Vox there was a good choice of food. Bits of pizza, tortillas, potatoes, aubergines and other good things.

May 2014; update. I went at Vox twice during my latest visit to Bergamo. I had a fruit drink at the happy hour. I liked it. The nibbles were good as well.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Vineria Cozzi di Miliona: Fantastic dinner in a pretty setting

by toonsarah Updated Apr 24, 2014

Pretty restaurant

I had some lovely meals in Bergamo, but the best by a long way was this, our final dinner at the Vineria Cozzi. The restaurant had caught my eye earlier in the day, with its narrow courtyard opening off Via Bartolomeo Colleoni, prettily decorated in a fresh, modern style. I was concerned it might look a bit too girly to appeal to Chris (lots of pink!) but luckily the menu was tempting enough for both of us.

You enter the restaurant not through that courtyard but through the bar and wine-shop next door. We were shown to a table in one corner of the equally pretty room beyond the courtyard and welcomed with a basket of crusty bread, good olive oil for dipping, and popcorn! We settled down to make some very difficult choices from the menu.

Our starters were absolutely excellent! Mine was Uovo in tazza con fonduta, tartufo nero e canolo di parmigiano – “Egg in cup with mini cheese fondue, black truffle and parmesan rolled biscuit”. I gave Chris one taste, and he spent the next ten minutes or so begging for more and bemoaning the fact that he had not ordered the same! But in truth his own choice was just as good – a Selezione di formaggi locali, “selection of local cheeses”. These were served with jams and chutneys as is typical here, and on a slate marked out with arrows and numbers to indicate the recommended order of eating, from mildest to strongest (see photo three).

Our mains were almost as good. We both went for primi – Chris had possibly the best Casoncelli con pancetta, burro e salvia of the several I tasted in Bergamo, while my Risotto con zafferano, zucchini e mandorle tostate (“saffron risotto, zucchini and toasted almonds”) was subtly flavoured and cooked to perfection.

With food this good, we had to find room for dessert! The menu was brought, but with it another aid to selection, in the form of a 3D Viewmaster with images of all the desserts – an amusing touch. But I didn’t need the pictures to help me decide on the Semifreddo al passion fruit con spuma al franciacorta brut (“Passion fruit semifreddo with Franciacorta brut foam”) as it sounded light and refreshing – and so it was. Chris also wanted something light and chose the summer berries with shortbread.

Our bill, with cover and two large glasses of very good red wine, was €81 – not cheap, but well worth it for the quality of the food and the overall experience. It came with a little bag of meringues and macaroons (see photo five) which served as part of our lunch the next day on our journey home.

If I go back to Bergamo, a meal here will be high on my list of “must do”s and I recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants a good dining experience in Alta. You can also buy a picnic hamper here if you want a special lunch somewhere. And another nice touch – we drank just a glass of wine each, but I noted that if you want a bottle of wine you can choose from the very wide selection in the shop and pay a small corkage charge on top.

So, something to go back for ...

But, it was time to leave Bergamo, so my final tip is sadly about our flight home to England.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Il Fornaio: What a display!

by toonsarah Updated Apr 24, 2014

A photogenic window

This casual pizzeria and bakery has to have one of the most impressive window displays of any eatery! It is just a shame that for me the experience of eating here didn’t quite live up to the promise of the window. The arrangement here is that you order by the slice from those on display, your selection is weighed to determine the price, and then warmed for you while you pay at the opposite counter. You can then take your choice away to eat outside on the piazza or as you stroll the streets, or go upstairs to the large seating area.

I came for lunch with a couple of VT friends, but while they were served quickly, I found it hard to get the attention of their server, who moved on to someone else rather than take my order. In the end she returned to me and I asked to please serve me quickly as I wanted to join my friends and eat together. She did so, but cut corners on the heating up part of the operation, so my pizza was not as hot as I’d have liked. Still, I was soon on my way upstairs to join the others.

My choice of pizza had an appetising topping – prosciutto, different cheeses and walnuts. The flavour was good, despite the lack of heat. But I was disappointed with the base, which was think and bread-like – more like a US-style deep-pan pizza than the thin base more usual in Italy, and much less to my taste. However, if you like a thick dough base you may enjoy a slice here more than I did - certainly it gets great reviews from others.

The cost depends on the size of your slice, as well as the topping you choose. I paid about €7 for my slice and a bottle of water.

After lunch it was time to carry on exploring Bergamo, with a visit to the Palazzo Moroni.

• leics's Profile Photo

Caffe del Tasso: Alta: Gelato 3..and the best, imo

by leics Updated Apr 22, 2014

Not bad for just over 2 euro! :-)

You'd think that ice-cream in Citta Alta's Piazza Vecchia would be more expensive than in Citta Bassa, wouldn't you?

It wasn't. It was cheaper (2.30 euro for a two-flavoured cone).

And I thought it was better ice-cream as well, although that is purely a personal opinion.

Caffe del Tasso has been on Piazza Vecchia for a very long time indeed. The building itself dates from the 1400s, and was known as the 'Locanda Delle due Spade' (Inn of the Two Swords) in 1476. It took the name of the poet Torquato Tasso in 1681, when a statue of that poet was erected in the piazza. An impressive history indeed!

As well as its gelateria counter (lots of flavour choices) and pasticceria, it is a 'proper' cafe, with tables outside and a sit-down area inside.

But I just wanted the ice-cream. And it was lovely! :-)

I had to trim the photo because of all the people sitting outside enjoying their ice-creams!

• Seniors
    • Singles

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

The Toucan Irish Bar: Friendly place with good food and drink

by IreneMcKay Updated Jan 11, 2014

The Toucan Irish bar.

This bar/ restaurant is neat the funicular station in the upper town. That is the funicular that runs from the lower to the upper town.

We stopped here for dinner. We drank German beer. Let's mix a few cultures, why not? I had delicious salmon filled ravioli in a spicy sauce; my husband had a burger. The waitress could not have been more pleasant and the atmosphere here was relaxed and pleasant.

Coperativo Citta Alta Ristoro: Reasonably priced Restaurant in Citta Alta

by suvanki Updated Dec 28, 2013

Cooperativo Citta Alta Ristorio

This was a place that I'd been wanting to eat at for a long time. My first few visits, I didn't find it, and although we visited in 2011, as a possible venue for our 2012 Eurmeet, this was the first time that I got the chance to eat here.

The restaurant is located off the main thoroughfare of Via Colleoni. Originally a monastery, the building has also served as a prison (Saint Agathas)!
    It opened as a restaurant in 1981, to provide a meeting place/social centre for the residents of Citta Alta, particularly the elderly and less affluent, who were becoming isolated by local restaurants, trattorias and shops catering for the influx of tourists and better off locals.. So, there is now a place for them to chat, eat and be entertained. It is still open to tourists/visitors though. The Cooperative also provides meals and a delivery service to the elderly and the needy 7 days a week.
    Also popular with students, families and workers.

Well, Sunday lunch time, the place was very busy. Along with a small queue of other expectant diners, we waited for a table to become free. As we waited we could only salivate as waiting staff whizzed by with plates and dishes of delicious smelling and looking meals. At a nearby table, a couple were perusing 3 menus! One for pizzas. I'd somehow envisaged that this would be a place with a handful of 'home cooking' choices - good hearty and warming dishes suitable for the working men that eat here during the week.

We were shown to our table, which was next to the patio doors that led to the garden - far too cold to eat outside in November. While waiting to be seated, I'd noticed that there were at least two other dining areas and an upstairs area too.

We were given the menu for Sunday 1st December 2013, which listed 5 starters (6-8 Euros), 5 pasta dishes (7 - 8.50 Euros) and 8 main courses (9.50 - 14.00 Euros)

The wine menu was very impressive too. I noticed that nearby fridges were stocked with locally brewed beers - Yes, I'll certainly have to come back here!

Favorite Dish: My starter of potato and porcini mushroom pie with Castelmagno cream (a local cheese) was DE-LIC-IOUS!!!!!!! It was served quite attractively too.

For my main, I was considering the wild boar and polenta, but instead chose the chestnut dumplings in butter, honey and parmesan. - Interesting! Towards the end, I was feeling a bit disappointed with my choice- just dumplings it was becoming a bit monotenous, but since returning home I've had mini cravings for this dish.

I had room (just) for dessert - the waitress ran through the choices - they all sounded wonderful, but I opted for Tirimasu - yes - it served as ' a pick me up'

Our meal was washed down with a 1/4 litre of their house Valcolepio -

Yes, I'd certainly eat here again and would recommend it

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Restaurante Pizzeria "Da Franco": Enjoyable Italian

by Roadquill Updated Dec 23, 2013

We enjoyed a dinner at Da Franco, and although they serve pizza, I would not call it a pizza place. Much better than that. Casual, yet white linen table cloths. The beer was good, the wine was good, the food was good. It seems to be right next to a church so when the church bells went off, we not only heard the bells loudly and clearly, we could feel the vibrations.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the stuffed bell pepper.

• Photography

Antica Trattoria - Osterio ai Tre Gobbi: Historical Trattoria in Citta Bassa

by suvanki Updated Dec 10, 2013

Chiara and Alex at the main entrance of 3 Gobbi

CITTA BASSA

Walking around Citta Bassa near the shopping street of XX Settembre, we realised that we were all getting quite hungry, and started to look for somewhere reasonably priced, with locally produced food.

We couldn't see a menu outside, so I wandered inside, to try and find one, but failed! I hadn't realised that this was the back door - there was a printed menu in the front window, which I found when we left.

There was a pleasant atmosphere, with families and friends dining at rustic looking tables, plus a bust of Donizetti above a piano. I liked the look of this place.

Luckily we had Chiara (VTer pollon) and her husband Alex to translate - There wasn't a menu - the waitresses had a hand written note of the available dishes. It was getting quite late for lunch, but there was still a selection of about 4 main courses. The Osteria was still quite busy.

While we waited for our order, Alex explained that tre Gobbi, translated as 3 'hunchbacks'

This is quite an historical Taverna, dating back to 1855. It was a popular meeting place for locals, artists, musicians and even Revolutionaries. One of its most famous customers being Gaetano Donizetti, the local composer, hence the bust and commemorative plaque.

The waitress took our drinks orders first, then reeled off a choice of starters - I asked Chiara to find out the prices - apparently it was a set menu for 10 Euros - Appetiser, Main course and drinks!

This was quite a popular place, and all the tables were full. We were in the main dining area, but there was an outside terrace, and tables through in the front bar area. By the till was a selection of chocolates and Easter goodies.

As we stumbled on this place, and via the back door, It would be difficult to explain how to get here - Thanks to Google here are a map and directions

UPDATE November 2013

Gilly and I ended up being near this restaurant, when we realised that we were ready for lunch.

This time we didn't have our Italian translator with us, but the waitress spoke enough English for us to choose our meal - crespelle again - yummy! grilled vegetables and affogato for dessert, which again was very good. This time the food was freshly cooked and delicious. A pleasant atmosphere and a shop stocked with Christmas chocolates etc!

Favorite Dish: For my starter, I chose a Crespelle (pic 4)- a pancake with chopped vegetables in a cheese sauce - this was quite tasty and very hot!

My main course was a meat escalope - not sure if it was veal or not - There was a choice of boiled or roast potatoes or salad - I opted for the boiled potatoes. The meat was a little dry and a bit crispy around the corners, but the potatoes were nice.

We realised that sadly, the food had been heated in a micro-wave! Presumably a number of dishes are prepared in advance.

I washed this down with a glass of pilsner beer and ended with a coffee.

All in All, it was good value, but a shame about the micro-wave!

I'd probably return for the atmosphere - although the meal lost points for being re-heated/dried out, and the service wasn't over friendly, I still enjoyed eating here.

Pizzeria Capri Trattoria: A Restaurant of A Thousand Flavours

by suvanki Updated Dec 10, 2013

Pizzeria Capri Trattoria

CITTA BASSA
    We'd been handed a booklet listing a selection of restaurants in Bergamo and its Province, which was helpful in one of our choices for a place to hold our Friday night meal for Eurmeet 2012.
    This restaurant was a few minutes walk from our Hotel, so we went to have a look, liked what we saw, and luckily managed to reserve tables for Eurmeet.

That evening, we returned to check out the food. The place was certainly busy, but the staff were very pleasant and professional. We ate in the larger back dining room, and our table allowed us to see over the restaurant. It was quite an eye-opener, watching the staff manouvre through the restaurant, efficiently serving or clearing tables in a well practiced efortless manner.

We knew that the trattoria specialised in local cuisine, as well as being a pizzeria, but I don't think that I've ever seen such a vast and varied Pizza menu - Pizza by the metre and some very obscure combinations too!

Well we decided to give the pizzas a miss (for this time at least) and try some of the food that was going to be on the menu for EurMeet. Well we weren't disappointed at all!

The restaurant offers 2 set menus - A Traditional Menu for 35 Euros and A Traditional Dish for 20 Euros (Which We'll be eating at Eurmeet)

It wasn't until later that I realised that this restaurant is recognised for the quality of food by the Bergamo Chamber of Commerce - as one of the ristorante dei Mille Sapori (restaurants of A Thousand Flavours)
    Bergamo is known as The City of A Thousand, due to the high number of men from Bergamo, who enlisted for Garibaldi's army campaign in 1860, so this is recognised in the Chambers awards for traditional flavours and quality restaurants.
    There is quite a long list of requirements and standards to warrant being awarded.

1. They offer own cooked courses, and have been run for at least one year by the current manager
    2. They offer the Traditional Menu and Traditional dish at lunch and dinner every day
    The Traditional menu includes - starter, first,main course, in house dessert, garibalda bread if available in the area , Bergamasca white wine or Valcalepio doc wine and Bergamo produced mineral water
    The Traditional dish - single course meal with garibalda bread if available in the area , Bergamasca white wine or Valcalepio doc wine and Bergamo produced mineral water.
    both should be inspired by typical local cuisine, using seasonal ingredients, particularly traditional products with the Mille Sapori mark. They should be quoted inclusive of cover charge and service.
    Other stipulations are in regard to the outside appearance -signposted, well lit, car parking, the inside - comfort of noise, temperature, lighting, maintainance, reception of guests, local information, waste management, food miles, energy efficience, low packaging, recycling etc.

Local and Traditional dishes

Closed Mondays and 26th July-17th August for holidays.
    Seats 220
    Disabled access
    Credit and debit cards accepted
    Car Parking
    Reservation recommended

UPDATE - June 2012, this restaurant did a superb job in keeping us fed and watered for our Friday night meal, which meant that we took over the large dining room.

November 2013 - Myself, Gilly and Sonja met up with the ladies from Bergamo TI who had been so helpful in helping us plan Eurmeet 2012. A lovely evening, with great food and service, despite the restaurant being very busy.

Favorite Dish: Instead of choosing the Traditional Dish, we opted for a starter of affettato misto - a selection of cold meats - which our waiter explained included spek, bresaola, salami, lardo, pancetta and prosciutto . We shared this. 7.50 Euros

For our main course we both ordered casoncelli Bergamasca- Stuffed pasta similar to ravioli
    breadcrumbs, egg, cheese, sausage, raisins, amoretto biscuits, pear and garlic are some of the ingredients traditionally used, this was then served with melted butter, pancetta and sage -Mmmmmm - delicious! 8 Euros each
    We then treated ourselves to dessert - Gilly had the pannacotta, 5 Euro, while I opted for a sharp and refreshing lemon sorbet 4.50

A bottle of fruity Valcalepio 13 Euros
    2 coffees 1.50 Euros each
    A bottle of mineral water 2.50 Euro
    Cover charge for 2 3 Euros

Total Bill 54.50 - which we felt was very good value.
    Certainly looking forward to eating here in June 2012!

• Balam's Profile Photo

Great Place

by Balam Written Sep 17, 2013

This was another fantastic little place that was very local and very friendly, the food was good although we only tried the buffet selection that they put out for free in the early evening, it was a great place to sit outside of next to the fountain, we could sit there, see the place we were stopping at and the Wonderful Bar Genis Pizzeria, really we did not have to go anywhere else!
    The view I had while sitting outside is one of my favorite memories of Bergamo.

Caffè Falconi: Wine bar

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 18, 2013

Caff�� Falconi - Bergamo

Caffè Falconi is a wine bar. The front room is a cosy living room-like place with a great atmosphere. At the rear is a modern annex.

The owner is very helpful in explaining the drinks.

We were here for the first time gathering during the Euromeet 2012.

Bar Restaurant La Marianna: At the San Vigilio Funicolare lower station

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 18, 2013

La Marianna restaurant - Bergamo

La Marianna is busy place as it is strategically located at the route from the bus stop to the San Vigilio funiculare.

La Marianna offers brunches , lunches, coffee breaks and fine dinners.

Visit the indoors pastries and bread shop; it's just too much to choose from.

The outdoors terrace is cosy, surrounded with beautiful flowers and an ideal spot for people watching.

Favorite Dish: Any of the goodies from the shop.

Pizzeria Capri Trattoria: VT Euromeet 2012 first dinner place

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 15, 2013

Pizzeria Capri Trattoria - Bergamo

Pizzeria Capri Trattoria is a great place to order a pizza or even better, have a tradional Italian meal. I still am surprised that our 80 people group fitted in the dining room at the first Euromeet 2012 dinner. The restaurant uses each inch where possible. There is a covered terrace on the walkway in front of the restaurant and at the entrance is a small space to have drink and a snack. The bar is directly behind and the dining room is the next space. The kitchen is in the rear and somewhere in between are the bathrooms.

Favorite Dish: The Piatto della Tradizione (Traditional dish) comprising of Casoncelli (a traditional Bergamo pasta dish), polenta, salame bergamasco (Bergamo salami) coniglio (rabbit) and taleggio (taleggio cheese).

And a dessert for 5 Euros (great cake!)

Instant Answers: Bergamo

Comments

Bergamo Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bergamo restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bergamo sightseeing.