Bergamo Shopping

Outlet Village Via Amb Maj 11
    by Paisleypaul
  • Pza degli Alpini/Mercure Hotel at very end of road
    Pza degli Alpini/Mercure Hotel at very...
    by Paisleypaul
    Orio Center
    by Gillybob

Most Recent Shopping in Bergamo

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Orio Center: 'All The Shopping in The World'

by suvanki Written Dec 30, 2011

Orio Center

Across from Orio Al Serio airport is this large shopping mall (possibly the largest shopping centre in Italy)! reached from the airport, by crossing the A4 motorway (pedestrian crossing with traffic lights) and underpass (interesting graffitti!) The sign at the airport states that it is a 3 minute walk - Hmmmm - more like 10 minutes by the time you've negotiated the bus station and the mall car park.

We called here before catching our flight home, having caught the #1 Airport bus from Bergamo in plenty of time. Gilly set her alarm on her 'phone to give us plenty of time to arrive back to the airport, without getting distracted by the shops!

In the airport car park is a left luggage kiosk - we didn't bother with this, as we only had small cases. On reaching the mall, we headed to the huge supermarket (Iper), and were shown to the customer service desk, where we had to leave our cases (free). We were issued with a tag to reclaim our luggage. Handbags etc were security wrapped at another desk.

Our aim was to purchase cold meats and cheeses etc (vaccuum packed) As we were travelling hand luggage only with Ryanair, we weren't able to purchase any of the wine etc. Next time, I'll check luggage in for the return flight!
    Well we were certainly spoilt for choice! Luckily my luggage allowance restricted me from buying too much.

Orio Center has over 200 shops on two levels, but we were satisfied with our purchases, so headed to one of the self service restaurants for a leisurely lunch.
    We spotted some well known International chain stores, as well as some that weren't so familiar. Check the Centers web site for listings of the shops under their specialities - Fashion, foot wear, electrical goods, sports wear, House hold goods, leisure and sports etc.

Besides shops, there is a nursery/creche, launderette, ATM's, Underground car park and a Fitness First gym. From the end of January 2012, a dentist service will be available

OPENING HOURS
    Monday - Friday
    09:00 - 22:00
    Saturday
    08:30 – 21:00
    Sunday / Holidays
    09:00 – 21:00

What to buy: Local cured meats, cheeses, olive oil, vinegars, herbs etc
    Italian leather shoes and hand bags, wallets, belts
    Perfumes and toiletries
    Fashion items

If you still can't find what you want.....There is also a large Auchan hypermarket to the west of Bergamo

What to pay: From less than a Euro, to as much as your Bank Manager will allow!

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

Rugs and embroideries

by oriettaIT Updated Feb 20, 2011

The artist at work

This shop was awesome, they make rugs using colorful pieces of cotton, you can watch them working on the loom.
    When i visited they had a shop in the upper town, I am not sure they still have that one, the site only give the lower town address.
    I bought a 80x180cm rug for about 80 Euros, I washed it several time following their directions and it is still perfect.

• montana32's Profile Photo

auchan: hypermarket

by montana32 Written Apr 23, 2008

a great big hypermarket on the west side of bergamo,get an all day ticket and get on the number 2 bus,it stops there
    everything you need for your stay,a massive fish counter and lots of different stuff you cannot get in the uk
    puts sainsburys to shame really
    very good for essentials
    closed some sundays

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Panificio "Tresoldi": Rich flavour of homemade bread

by croisbeauty Written Mar 24, 2008

Panificio Tresoldi

Another little jewel is this "panificio", bakery shop in Citta Alta just a foot from the main square. You just can't pass by pretending it not excisting because when approaching your nose will force you to stop and smell the flavour of homemade bread and pastry, same one we still remember from our grandma's kitchen. Buy yourself panino or briosh if not genuine bread, it's so jummy.
    The bakery shop is called "Tresoldi" (three coins), which in Italian indicates not expensive. Buy even if it seems expensive to you, am sure you wont regret.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Not like those ugly malls

by croisbeauty Written Mar 24, 2008

old fashionable shop

When I started my studings at economy, one of the first lessons I still remember was about the shop windows. Our professor used to say " good looking shop window is selling the merchandise". Cannot agree more!
    Why do we like historic centres, ever asked yourselfs? Well, besides lots of cultural sights from our past we can see also some cute little shops right the way they looked before. Each and every one has its own storry and soul, something that we miss alot in those ugly commercial centres all around us.

• Paisleypaul's Profile Photo

Market near the train station: Market off Viale Papa Giovanni XXII

by Paisleypaul Written Dec 18, 2007

Market at Piazza degli Alpini

Just diagonally opposite the Hotel Mercure Bergamo on Viale Papa Giovanni XXIII we found this market on at Piazza degli Alpini. It was on all day and evening on a Saturday, not sure of other hours or days though!

What to buy: Souvenirs, clothing, all sorts of snack foods and more

What to pay: Woollen scarfs and hat at Eu5 and Eu10

• Trains

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Orio Center: Bergamo's famous shopping center

by Airpunk Written Sep 20, 2007

The enormous Orio center

This shopping mall in front of Bergamo’s airport is the largest in the region. Shops of all kind await you here, but perhaps the biggest attraction is the Iper supermarket, surely the largest supermarket I have ever seen. If you are a shopping mall fan, it would be easy for you to spend hours in it. I know people who do that :)

• MaheshSamtani's Profile Photo

STELIO: SILK TIES AND COTTON SHIRTS

by MaheshSamtani Updated Jun 17, 2007

I was in Bergamo just for a few minutes on my way to the airport back to Milan after a short business trip to Italy, when we were suggested to take back a local delicacy back home - a cake. We stopped by the store, however did not buy the cakes but there was a shop selling great shirts and ties a huge variety of them - drawers and drawers filled with them separated by colours by designs a real pleasure to shop here. All the items are at fixed prices - ties at 8 Euros and shirts at 24 euros - 100 % cotton. Got my hands on some of them and surely would like to get back here. If you are around Bergamo - have a look.

What to buy: 100 % silk Ties

• antz's Profile Photo

Mystery Market

by antz Written Oct 20, 2006

The Mystery Market at Night

When I was in Bergamo, there was a sort of continental market on over the weekend. I am not sure if this is something that happpens regularly.

There were stalls from Italy, Germany and France and you could find anything from roasted chestnuts to paintings. There was lots of food including sausages, cheeses and haribo jelly sweets! I actually ended up buying a lovely waterproof camoflage type jacket and a black pashmina - not to wear together of course!

• antz's Profile Photo

Any old bit of pavement: A little bit of fake Gucci?

by antz Written Oct 20, 2006

Everywhere you go (not just in Bergamo - I did notice it in other cities!) you will find street traders selling fake designer goods. Generally these are bags, but I did also notice watches, jewellery and sunglasses.

These guys have a really good system. Apparantly this type of selling is illegal, so what they do is they display all their goods on a sheet. That means that when the police come along, all they have to do is grap the 4 corners of the sheet (gathering everything up inside) and run off with their bundle over their shoulder! Clever or what?!?

What to buy: Personally, I never bought anything from these guys - I was too scared of getting caught! What a wimp I am eh?

What to pay: Probably a lot less that what you would pay in any designer goods outlet.

• hojasdehierba's Profile Photo

Buy a good Italian wine

by hojasdehierba Updated Mar 20, 2006

Who guess when we went to Bergamo?

Bergamo Alta is a good place to buy a marvellous Italian wine. And I hardly can think of a better companion for it than a delicious Italian cheese. This shop in Via Colleoni sold both of them.

What to buy: Bergamo Alta es un buen lugar para comprar un estupendo vino italiano. Y apenas puedo pensar en nada mejor para acompañarlo que un delicioso queso italiano. Esta tienda en Via Colleoni vendia ambos productos.

• Wine Tasting

• hojasdehierba's Profile Photo

Brands in Puorta Nuova

by hojasdehierba Updated Mar 20, 2006

Porta Nuova

Near Porta Nuova en Citta Bassa, you will find the shopping area in Bergamo: all kind of clothes brands from Benetton, to Emporio Armani. Take your credit card with you.

What to buy: Cerca de Porta Nuova encontraras la zona de compras de Bergamo: todo tipo de marcas de ropa, desde Benetton, hasta Emporio Armani. Llevate la tarjeta de credito.

• Wine Tasting
    • Architecture

• ettenaj's Profile Photo

Banana boats

by ettenaj Updated Nov 27, 2005

We had the most delightful banana boat that you could wish for it arrived with sails and sparklers, very impressive, but one word of warning , we asked for a cup of hot chocolate and we got a cup of melted down chocolate! I love chocolate but this was soooooooo sickly and soooooo thick it had difficulty getting out of the cup.

• irisbe's Profile Photo

Little toy shop, lost the name: In search for a little present

by irisbe Written Jun 12, 2005

Pinocio's !

Caroline was on the outlook to bring some small gift back home for her lovely little niece and cousin. Walking the Via B. Coleoni direction west, we discovered on our left hand side a shop with sweets and little toys. It was really an inviting shop.
    Inside we saw a collection of all kinds of Pinocio’s.
    So Caroline bought two of them. These kinds of toys were already popular when I was a kid… yeah yeah… I hear you thinking “That must be very old then!”

Here Caroline demonstrates how to use them.

What to buy: A little Pinocio

What to pay: A few Euro's

• irisbe's Profile Photo

Via B. Colleoni: It is yellow and it is called POLENTA!

by irisbe Updated Jun 12, 2005

Polenta here, Polenta there, Polenta every where!

Every one knows the lyrics “there is an awful lot of coffee in Brazil”?
    Now there is a new one: “there is an awful lot of corn in Bergamo!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is yellow with some topping on it, it fills up the whole window of at least a dozen of shops and it looks delicious, it is called POLENTA CAKE!
    POLENTA is mashed corn.

We were convinced this must be really some local speciality.
    Nothing of it all! As I am well informed by our local friend Titti, these cakes have the pretention to be such but they are only there for the tourist.

After a meal with 2 plates filled with POLENTA (see my restaurant tips), I felt I had enough POLENTA for the rest of my life and how delicious and welcoming the cakes looked, I had no urge to try any.
    Maybe if time erases a little the overdose I had, I might try them just out of curiosity on a next visit.

Instant Answers: Bergamo

Comments

Bergamo Shopping

Reviews and photos of Bergamo shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bergamo sightseeing.