Bergamo Transportation

• EasyMalc's Profile Photo

Airport Bus

by EasyMalc Updated Oct 17, 2012

Airport Bus Route

Catching the Airport Bus from the airport to the city is simple enough because there's only one bus you can catch but you need to make sure you catch the right one on your way back towards the airport because there are different No. 1 buses. You shouldn't really go wrong because there's a 1A/1B/1C and 1 Airport which is self explanatory really. Just make sure you catch the 1 Airport though because the other buses go on different routes - and not to the airport.
    The Airport bus travels into the city via the Railway Station, Porta Nuova (centre of Citta Bassa), The Funicular (for the Citta Alta), and ends at Colle Aperto (Citta Alta). It's quite possible it'll be the only bus route that you will need to use if you're not staying here for too long because it follows the route most tourists will want to use.
    The buses run every 30 minutes from the airport and cost €2.10 for a single journey into the city (Sept 2012). It's a timed ticket (90 mins). Tickets are bought according to zones and the airport bus crosses 3 zones. When I was here you couldn't buy the ticket from the bus driver only from the machine at the bus stop but I think that could be changing soon.
    To be honest I found the easiest thing to do was to pop into the Tourist Office inside the airport and buy a 24 hour Tourist Ticket for €5 which covered the whole network.
    Simple. Just don't forget to stamp it as soon as you board.

• Photography
    • Architecture

21 Bus to San Vigilio

Bus Number 21

Walking up through Citta Alta towards the funicular to Colle di San Vigilio, we spotted a bus stood nearby with number 21 on the front; this was the very infrequent service from Largo Colle Aperto which winds its way around the San Vigilio hill to the top.

ATB tourist tickets lasting 24 and 72 hours allow you to take as many bus and funicular trips during its duration as you wish; having already taken the funicular up to San Vigilio, we decided it would be nice to take the bus and see some of the other scenery. What a good decision it was! Taking you around the side and rear of San Vigilio hill, you get great views out over Bergamo and parts of the Bergamo Province.

The journey itself takes around 20 minutes, during which time you can enjoy views over terracotta rooftops, into valleys and over to distant hills.

The bus terminates at the rear of San Vigilio hill, within an easy stroll up a slight incline back to the funicular station. The terminus has a couple of benches to sit and enjoy the stunning views over an expansive valley bottom - it also appears that a small cafe may have business here during the summer months as I spotted stacks of chairs on a terrace a little below the area of the terminus.

One of the stops along the route also gives access to the castle at San Vigilio.

Services on route 21 are only in the early morning and lunchtime; full details of the route and timetable can be found here whilst the website below has full details of all ATB services.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Airport to Bergamo : Bus 1(C)

by Gillybob Written Sep 15, 2012
    Ticket Counter in Arrivals

When arriving at Bergamo's Orio al Serio Airport, you can swiftly transfer through to Bergamo by using the ATB bus route number 1.

Single tickets to the town cost €2.00 and can be purchased at the counter in the arrivals area of the airport (see photo 1).

Exit the arrivals area and head diagonally across to bus departures area; bus 1 is an orange, local bus departing from the shelter nearest to the Arrivals door.

The journey to/from the airport (Bergamo Orio al Serio) takes approximately 15 minutes (so travelling hand luggage only can have you in the city centre very quickly).

Generally speaking, the buses to the airport are reliable and frequent, but it is wise to be at the bus stop 30 - 45 minutes in advance of needing to be when returning to avoid possible difficulties with traffic delays.

The website link below takes you to timetable information for route 1.

Bus 1 : Stazione Funicolare & Airport

Bus 1 to Stazione Funicolare

One of the best bus routes in Bergamo is number 1.

This bus route is operated by ATB and services Citta Alta, Stazione Funicolare (to take the funicular to Citta Alta) as well as Bergamo's airport Orio al Serio.

It starts at Bergamo's train station and runs up Viale Papa Giovanni XXIII before turning off and heading towards the Stazione Funicolare. Some services run out to the airport as well.

This is one of the most frequent services and also has the longest service, running until well into the evening at the weekend.

A single journey from the airport to the train station will cost you €1.70. Alternatively, you can obtain a day pass which allows you on all services in Bergamo for €3.50 or a 3-day pass for Bergamo which costs €5.00 (prices correct at May 2011).

Generally speaking, the buses are reliable and frequent, but it is wise to be at the bus stop 30 - 45 minutes in advance of needing to be when returning to the airport to avoid possible difficulties with traffic delays.

Funicular to San Vigilio

Funicular to Colle di San Vigilio hill

Rising above Citta Alta is a second hill, atop which sits the village of San Vigilio, which offers great views over Citta Alta and the province of Bergamo.

To get to the top of this second hill, you can take a funicular from just outside the walls of Citta Alta. If you head along Via Bartolomeo Colleoni, through the square, across Largo Colle Aperto and through the gate (Colle Aperto) itself, you will find the second funicular station on your right.

If you hold a 24 or 72 hour ATB tourist ticket, you can travel on this funicular for free (as well as the town's buses and funicular between Citta Bassa and Citta Alta).

This upper funicular runs slightly less frequent than the funicular which connects Citta Bassa and Citta Alta and ceases service slightly earlier in the evening.

Single journey tickets can be purchased for a cost of €2,00.

This funicular first began operating on 27 August 1912; after a period of over sixty years, service was suspended in 1976 at the expiration of the government concession for the service. With a need to upgrade the line to meet new safety regulations, radical plans for a revamp of the service were prepared in 1984 and work began in 1987, with the line re-opening in 1991.

The funicular runs a line of 630 meters and has a single carriage with a capacity of 55 passengers.

OPERATING HOURS :
    Monday to Friday : 10:15 - 19:50
    Saturday : 10:15 - 23:00
    Sundays and Holidays : 09:00 - 22:30

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

By bus.

by Maurizioago Updated Aug 30, 2012

Bergamo has a good bus network.

You can explore the upper town by foot. It isn't large. You can take n. 1A bus some meters out of the train station to get there. There is also a bus from the airport that goes up to the upper town. It is n.1.

Bus tickets are sold at tobacconist's, newsagents' and from the vending machines you find near some bus stops.

There are special tickets for one day, 36 hours and more which allow you unlimited use of buses.

Note; bus tickets (also special tickets) are valid for the funiculars rides too.

Always remember to validate your ticket with the machine once in the bus.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

GULLIBERG TOURIST TRAIN

by LoriPori Written Aug 22, 2012

Gulliberg Tourist Train

The GULLIBERG TOURIST TRAIN operates a return journey service from 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Sundays and Holidays, between the Upper Funicular Station and Colle Aperto, travelling along the Viale Delle Mura.
    Single tickets cost 2 Euros and return fare is 3 Euros and can be purchased at the upper Funicular Station or from the driver. Children ages 12 and under are free of charge, when accompanied by an adult

Taxis in Bergamo

by toonsarah Updated Aug 6, 2012

On the first evening in Bergamo I left my group of friends at around 22.15 to head back to my hotel in Alta (they were all staying in Bassa), only to find that there was only one more bus that evening, and that not due for nearly an hour, at 23.10! I was tired from a long day’s travelling, and a long day sightseeing in Ancona the previous day, so decided to treat myself to a taxi rather than wait so long or walk up the hill. The helpful receptionist in the Best Western Hotel (where we had been earlier for the meeting registration) called one for me – in Bergamo, taxis are not allowed to cruise the streets looking for fares, so unless you are near a taxi rank (e.g. at the station) you will need to call.

I had been warned by the meeting organisers that taxis were quite expensive here, so I asked the receptionist what I might expect to pay to go to Alta. She said €15 - €18 – a lot for a ten minute ride! In the event I was charged €14 so ended up feeling I’d got a reasonable deal, despite the high price ;-) Worth it on this occasion maybe, but I wouldn’t want to make a habit of using taxis in Bergamo, especially if travelling alone (a group of four would make it reasonable value though).

Anyway, it got me back to the hotel quickly and safely. Tomorrow would be the first full day in Bergamo.

I was already looking forward to meeting up with many more VTers to explore Città Alta the next day!

The photo is of the Porta Sant'Agostino, on the main route into Alta from Bassa

Funicular – from Bassa to Alta

Arrival at upper station

The funiculars are operated by the same company as the buses, and you can use the same tickets on both. The most useful one of the two is probably that connecting Bassa and Alta, which whisks you from bottom to top (or vice versa, naturally) in just a few minutes. The first time I used it was soon after arriving at my hotel in Alta, when I travelled down to Bassa to meet up with the other early arrivals for the Euromeeting.

The funicular’s Alta terminal is in the Piazza Mercato delle Scarpe. There are two tracks either side of the small station. Most of the time I found just one funicular there and boarded that, waiting only a few minutes for it to depart. But on one occasion both were at this upper station. Count-down signs seemed to indicate that one of these was about to depart, but I realised that the sign wasn’t moving, so I asked the operator. Yes, this would be the next funicular, he told me, but when I pointed to the sign he just shrugged – clearly these should be taken with a pinch of salt!

The brief ride down (about five minutes’ duration) is an opportunity for some great views. Stand at the front of one of the two carriages (or naturally at the back if riding up) to see Bassa gradually revealed beneath you. At the foot you will see the bus stop for bus #1 immediately in front of you, which will take you to the heart of Bassa at the Porta Nuova, beyond this to the railway station, or even further to the airport. On almost every occasion that I rode the funicular down to Bassa, a bus arrived within seconds, but don’t count on this – on the last morning when we took this route to the airport, we waited at least ten minutes for our bus.

The first service from Alta to Bassa is at 7.00 AM, and from Bassa to Alta at 7.10 AM. The last one down is around midnight (later on Fridays and Saturdays) and the last up slightly later.

On this first occasion, I was as impressed by the service as on all subsequent ones – frequent, fast and fun! Once down in Bassa, I boarded the #1 bus that would take me to the Porta Nuova, and an evening with friends.

Read now about the very good restaurant where we ate that first evening.

Buses in Bergamo

Bus #1 arriving at lower funicular station

Bergamo has a good bus network, mainly serving Città Bassa, but with one line (#1) climbing the hill to Alta. Some of the #1 buses also serve the airport, and, as they link airport, railway station, Bassa and Alta, are the most useful of all for the tourist.

There are various tickets available. When I first arrived in Bergamo I bought a biglietto turistico 3 giorni from the small tobacconist / newsagent kiosk in the station. This cost €7 (2012 price) and could be used on all buses and funiculars in the city for a 72 hour period from first use. To indicate this first use it is important to validate the ticket by punching it in one of the machines on the bus as soon as you board. After this first validation there is no need to do so again.

When that ran out I bought a 24 hour ticket to cover me on the last day, which with careful timing I was able to use for a trip from Alta to Bassa on one day and for our journey to the airport on the next. Note that if you plan to use the ticket to travel to the airport you must get the dearer all zones ticket (€4.50 in 2012), not the city-only one (€3). You can buy tickets at any tabacchi – these display a large T outside.

The buses seemed to me to be pretty reliable and regular, but on a weeknight they finish quite early, and even before they finish, they become very sparse – as I found to my cost! On the first evening in Bergamo I left my group of friends at around 22.15 to head back to my hotel in Alta (they were all staying in Bassa), only to find that there was only one more bus that evening, and that not due for nearly an hour, at 23.10! I was faced with the choice of a long wait, a climb up the hill (and, new to the city, I was unsure of the way) or an expensive taxi. I chose the latter, but had I known about the scarcity of buses I think I would have sacrificed the ice cream I had enjoyed for dessert and left a bit sooner.

But I am getting ahead of myself! Having taken my first bus, #1 from the station to Alta, it was time to head to my accommodation in the Agnello d'Oro, subject of my next tip.

By train to Bergamo

by toonsarah Written Aug 6, 2012

Bergamo station

I travelled to Bergamo by train from Ancona, via Bologna and Milano. Of the several train journeys I took while in Italy on this trip, the one from Ancona to Milano was the only one on an intercity train, and I discovered that it was a much more relaxing and comfortable experience than the older, scruffier (but much cheaper) regional ones. My window seat had table space, a socket for phone or laptop, and a reasonable amount of leg room. There was also plenty of space for my small suitcase between it and the seat behind. Reserved seats aren’t marked as such, by the way, so it’s important to sit in the one assigned to you as otherwise you could find you’ve taken that allocated to someone else and will be asked to move.

The train left about 10 minutes late but that was the only delay. The four hour journey to Milano passed uneventfully. I enjoyed looking out at the scenery, although for the most part this was less striking than on my train journey from Rome to Gubbio at the start of the holiday – but you do get to travel right by the sea for the first few miles, which is nice. A trolley serving refreshments came past a few times and I bought a caffe normale for €1.20 which turned out to be a pseudo-espresso made with instant coffee granules and very little water. I like strong coffee but instant coffee served this strong has too bitter an aftertaste, so I don’t think I’d bother on any future journey.

We arrived in Milano Centrale just a couple of minutes behind schedule, having made up most of the 10 minutes en route. There was plenty of time for me to buy a sandwich before boarding my regional train to Bergamo , and I was impressed by the quality considering I bought it from a newsagent type shop rather than go down to the lower level and back with my luggage.

The regional train was much smaller and scruffier, and also rather too hot. I was glad the journey was only 40 minutes or so. Arriving in Bergamo was a bit of a shock after the quiet of Gubbio – large groups of tourists milling around in the small station made it hard to move around, and I was glad of the helpful directions provided by the meeting organisers.

I bought my biglietto turistico 3 giorni and headed for the bus, the subject of my next tip.

Funicular – from Alta to San Vigilio

by toonsarah Written Aug 6, 2012

The upper station

On Sunday afternoon we went on a little outing to San Vigilio with a small group of VTers, organised by leics. To get there we took the funicular from Porta Sant’Alessandro, Bergamo’s “other” funicular. This is a longer and more gradual climb, following the street for much of its length. It is not as old as the main Bassa to Alta funicular, having opened in 1912, and it was closed for a period from 1976, before reopening after restoration in 1991. And unlike the Bassa / Alta one, this has only the one coach, running on a single track.

The biglietto turistico 3 giorni and other standard ATB tickets can be used on the funicular. If using a single trip ticket you need as always to validate it in the machine – otherwise just show your ticket to the controller before getting in. I really enjoyed the little ride up the hill, although the views (see photo two) were more of the houses that lined the route than of the views below – the latter would have to wait until our arrival in San Vigilio.

By the way, I learned from leics that apparently Herman Hesse once travelled on this funicular, when he visited San Vigilio in 1913, so we were in good company!

Once we arrived at the top we could start our exploration of San Vigilio.

Flying home from Bergamo

Over the Alps

Bergamo has its own airport, Orio Al Serio, but we had booked an EasyJet flight from Milan’s Malpensa as, of the budget flights available, the timings of this suited us better. To get there though, we went on the shuttle bus from Orio, so the first part of our journey home was the same as if we were flying from there. On reflection though, I think if I were to be flying from Malpensa again, I would use the train via Milano Centrale, as the shuttle bus meant quite a lot of waiting around.

To start our journey home we caught the funicular down to Bassa and then the number 1 bus to Orio. There we had planned to catch the 10.50 shuttle, having checked the timetable at the tourist office in Bergamo the day before, as that would get us to Malpensa in good time for our check-in. However when we bought our shuttle tickets at Orio we discovered that the timetables had changed and the shuttle now went via Monza, taking forty minutes longer than previously. Luckily we had allowed plenty of time and were in little danger of missing our flight, but it made for a long journey to the airport.

Once at Malpensa we checked in and were soon through security as the airport wasn’t at all busy. The flight home to Gatwick was smooth and afforded some great views of the Alps just after take-off – try to sit on the right to catch these. A train to Victoria Station, and two tube trains, and we were home – only seven different “vehicles” to get us there ;-)

This is the last of my Bergamo tips. Please do leave a comment on my intro page if you’ve enjoyed exploring this lovely city with me.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

The funiculars.

by Maurizioago Updated Jul 28, 2012

Bergamo has two funiculars. One runs up to the upper town from the lower town and the other runs from the upper town to San Vigilio hill. The first funicular has two cars. Each has a capacity of 50 people (seated and standing). Its first run was in 1887. This funicular was restored in 1921, in 1963-64 and in 1988. It runs from 7 a. m. to 12 p. m. every day. It departs from the station in viale Vittorio Emanuele.

San Vigilio funicular first began operating in 1912. In 1976 the service was suspended. The system required upgrading to meet new safety regulations. In 1984 it was decided to prepare designs for a radical revamp. The service began operating again in 1991. This funicular leaves from a station located near porta Sant' Alessandro; just outside Colle Aperto.

• Trains

ATB Bus Office

by Gillybob Updated Jul 19, 2012

ATB Office

The ATB office will assist you in your enquiries for public bus transport around Bergamo. The office is located in one of the gate buildings at Largo Porta Nuova and is open Monday to Saturday from 07:20 to 19:15.

At the ticket counter, staff do not speak much English but they do at the information counter.

The extensive ATB website has information regarding various bus routes around Bergamo, including the airport bus (number 1) which connects passengers arriving at Orio al Serio to the train station at Bergamo within a short time.

Instant Answers: Bergamo

• SlobodanM's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Quale autobus è richiesta dall'aeroporto di Bergamo al centro della città e come funziona tutto il biglietto giornaliero? Grazie per l'informazione.

Bergamo Transportation

Reviews and photos of Bergamo transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bergamo sightseeing.