Lago di Garda Restaurants

by painterdave

Most Recent Restaurants in Lago di Garda

Bar Centrale: The ONLY Bar for drinks and snacks

Front of Bar

In Navazzo there is only one bar, and it is across the street from the Running Club Hotel and Pizzeria. This place is the waterhole for all cyclists. They stop on the way up to fill their waterbottles from the local spring/fountain, and on the way back they stop here for some cool refreshment and gab. The owner is super friendly and happy to see his customers get what they need. The bench seating is nice and there is an awning to ward off the hot sun.
    Parking is next to the shop. (free)
    If you are looking for a good hotel, see my tip on the Running Club, a nice hotel that is reasonable in price.

Favorite Dish: They have all the cold drinks you need.
    Less expensive that at the lake. We spent 7 euros for two iced teas at the lake, 3 euros for the same here. It is a tourist kind of trap down there.....

• Motorcycle
    • Cycling

Tavagnu at Magasa Cima Rest: Top Of Mountain With Thatched Roofs

Front Entrance From Parking

The drive to the top has made you hungry, and here is a tip on where to find some great food while viewing the valley below. Turn the other direction and you can watch the farmers collect their hay, behind the small village with thatched roofs.
    Sit in a beach chair and enjoy the sun after lunch, shop in the hand made curio shop, and then walk in the hills. This place is unique, and when you are here, it does not feel exactly like Italy. This is because it once was Austria before World War I. Many of the ways of doing things, remain the old way.

Favorite Dish: Bruschetta... it was totally out there! The salami they use, its profume, captures your taste buds and is just like nothing else you have ever tasted! Seriously!
    This is not any other bruschetta, having meats and heavier cheeses.
    We also had a bottle of lugano wine, which was from the area. Nice.

Osteria dell' Orologio: Gourmet Lover's Osteria

Baby Pig

Highly recommended, we knew we were in the right place for exceptional food when we set down next to the bookshelf filled with gourmet cooking magazines and specialized cooking books. Photos of the owner with famous Italians line the wine shelf in the back. We were not disappointed as the food was more than expected.
    This osteria is NOT on the port with a view, they HAVE to make their food better in order to survive, and survive they have and more. Prices are only a bit higher, but compared to lake side prices, are the same. Just food that you dream to find. This is it!
    We will return in a few months!

Favorite Dish: I had baby pig, cooked to perfection, the meat just fell off the bone and tasted wonderful.
    They have a menu, but also a daily selection that the waitress will explain. See photos of my selection and also the meat stew.
    You can see from the photo of the polenta, that you are getting a very different kind of grain than usual. Soft.....
    They have a HUGE wine list.
    We had one appetizer, Bottle of Vino Bianco, A Seperate glass of wine, two main courses, Water, Total 73 euros with coperto.

Hotel Du Lac: Old Hotel Feeling/Restaurant Lakeside

Lake View Of Terrace

Finding a place for dinner on the lake that is more secluded with its own terrace is somewhat difficult, but Hotel Du Lac provides diners with a quiet setting... You will not see wandering tourists from their restaurant view.
    This older hotel has a history, and you can see the old photos when you enter, which helps you imagine what it was like years ago. However, the terrace has a wonderful view of the lake and even the swans and ducklings come for a free piece of bread tossed their way. I recommend visiting this restaurant as the sun is going down.. the lights across the lake come on and everything becomes very quiet.

Favorite Dish: Prices are with a bottle of wine, and appetizer, no dessert or coffee.

Running Club Pizzeria: Pizza and More

Pleasant Seating

Located next door to the Running Club Hotel is this cozy pizzeria. You can enjoy your friend's conversation because there are several rooms for dining, and the usual noise level of a pizzeria is diminished. Everything is polished and newly painted in cheerful warm colors. The tables are comfortable and spaced apart from each other. In the front is a bar... in the back the wood fired oven.
    Service is very good, prices average... bathrooms super clean.

Favorite Dish: We only had pizza, and as you can see from the photo, they put a lot of toppings on, more than the usual Italian portions.

• Motorcycle

• Il Bue D'Oro: Not-to-miss food

by shaula Updated Apr 4, 2011

Just south of Verona, close to the Mantova region there's a small town called Valeggio sul Mincio. There you can find the best tortellini ever.
    We absolutely recomend Il Bue D'Oro. They let us in with the dog and at a very late hour without the least sign of impatience.
    Excellent service and superb food

Favorite Dish: Tortellini. It's thin pasta with meat stuffing. To be enjoyed with melted butter and sage.

• Travel with Pets

• baronedivandastad's Profile Photo

Antica Trattoria La Speranzina: Lakefish with a view

by baronedivandastad Updated Apr 4, 2011

Art and taste combined.

We chose this place because of its attractive position inside the town of Sirmione, at the tip of the lovely peninsula that stretches out inside the lake from the southernmost point of the shore.

Now our judgement is a bit hampered by the weather, as it was a summer day and everyone was out. We were told to wait 10 minutes, and after about that time, one of the heaviest rain showers I've seen in my life poured down on us, forcing everyone who sat outside to relocate indoors.

At that point I really believed we would never get anything to eat, but after some people got up and paid our turn came. We were treated with mixed seafood starters, lobster pasta, outstanding lakefish and an excellent dessert.

Service is ensured by the young couple (Italian man, Estonian woman) who run the place with a professional and friendly attitude. The quality of food is high, and the preparation is very stylish and tasty.

All in all, a very good experience, with obviously matching prices. My wallet was very thin that night (I believe the bill summed up to 140 euros for two, and that was with a bottle of wine for two).

Favorite Dish: The dessert - if only I remembered how it's called...

• BurgerQueen's Profile Photo

Il giardino delle rane (the frogs garden): Nice restaurant in Garda

by BurgerQueen Updated Aug 17, 2010

The envelope containing the restaurant cutlery

"Il giardino delle rane" is a very nice restaurant, both from the food and from the aesthetic point of view. It offers excellent Italian food served in a froggy atmosphere: frogs are depicted on dishes, glasses, candles, menus, cutlery, etc. and frogs statues are everywhere.
    The restaurant has a very nice open terrace on one of the most important squares of Garda city.
    "Il giardino delle rane" also offers a bed and breakfast service, and hosts a frog museum (frog-shaped objects collected by the restaurant owner).

Favorite Dish: Everything is excellent, but I suggest tryng "spaghettate": spaghetti with different sauces served in big bowls, and, if you are fond of chocolate desserts, you cannot miss "Il bacio del principe", a chocolate fondant served with custard.

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

Ristorante con Pizza al Fattore: Great fish in Desenzano del Garda

by oriettaIT Updated Jul 4, 2010

Chitarrine Gamberoni and zucchini flower

On our way home we arrived in Desenzano at lunch time. There was a bad storm and it was raining and windy. We decided to stop at the first place we found and we got lucky.
    Ristorante Pizzeria al Fattore is a modern decorated restaurant with an elegant dining area. The menu have a good selection of seafood, meat, pasta and pizza so everybody can find what he like best. I had a pasta "Chitarrine con gamberoni e fiori di zucchina" (home made spaghetti with king prawns and zucchini flowers), my boyfriend had a portion of baked trout with a layer of potatoes on top, a bottle of water and we spent about 28 euros.
    The food was great, the trout was a little small portion but tasty and the pasta was awesome with three full prawns on top.

• PALLINA's Profile Photo

Taverna Kus: exceptional address

by PALLINA Written Dec 13, 2009

This is really an outstanding address if you love to travel and taste food and wine specialities. First of all, the ambience is very accurate; the owner loves brics-and-bracs markets and shows everything may by worth to be shown (there is the mirrors room, the clocks room...). Moreover, the wine cellar is really worth-seeing. As to the cuisine, you will find seasonal menu (chestnuts, pumpkin, for example) or a terrific menu a la carte. Strongly raccomended for foodies.

Bar Pub La Pinta: Bar in Brenzone

La Pinta and Harbour Brenzone. Lake Garda

This small bar was next to the mooring harbour in Brenzone, and within staggering distance of my hotel! (Club Da Baia)

The inside bar has seating. There are also a few high stools and tables outside the bar, then across the narrow road, in front of the harbour there is more comfortable seating and tables.

A pleasant place to sit - and chill!

There is a rock bar atmosphere - Italian rock music on CD, and the appearance of the bar staff, but the clientele was a mix of ages.

I really liked this place - I felt quite comfortable, as a lone female.

As far as I could see, this was the only bar in Brenzone - apart from those in the hotels and restaurants.

A selection of beers - bottled and draught, wines, spirits, cocktails, soft drinks and coffee. Snacks served including Panninis 4 Euro, Tost 3 euros

A Mojito cost 5 euros, as did Gin and Tonic, bottle of Becks 3 euros

Favorite Dish: I only tried the beer here - which was good -a draught Worsteiner

2.00 euros 0.2 litre glass
    3.50 euros 0.4 litre glass

A small glass 1 euro

• Sailing and Boating
    • Beer Tasting

Restaurante del Lago: Brenzone Restaurant

Hotel Brenzone and Restaurant del Lago Brenzone

I stayed in Brenzone for 4 nights and I ate here each night.

It was near to my hotel, there was a friendly atmosphere and I felt comfortable here. The food was quite good too.

The open fronted restaurant faces onto the lake. The restaurant is part of Hotel Brenzone

A mix of clientele - all ages, and different nationalities.

The staff were very friendly - all were professional and polite.

The menu was varied and printed in Italian, German and English.

One of the waiters spoke excellent English, the others had some English - which was still better than my very little Italian.

On my first night, I ordered escalope in lemon sauce from the menu - the waiter appeared to have understood, but apparently he hadn't- there was a delay in getting my order, but I was given a free aperitif.

The food each night was good. The service could be a bit hit and miss - but was always good humoured. One night I was charged for bread that I hadn't received, but another night I wasn't charged for a glass of wine!

The tradition of this restaurant was that at the end of your meal, you were offered a complimentary glass of 'Mamas Grappa' (presumably a home brewed hooch version of this local digestif). On my first night I hesitantly accepted- Years ago I'd been told by someone of their experiences of trying Grappa, and they'd described it so revoltingly, that I was expecting something disgusting - Well it was quite pleasant!

'Mama' often appeared in the restaurant - and she always had a chat with everyone there.

I'm not sure if she was the owner, or the manager, or the chef, but she was a bit of a character!

Favorite Dish: I ate here on 4 occasions. Each meal was very tasty and nicely presented.

My first night I ate Veal Escalope in a lemon sauce (10.50 Euro)- with a glass of (superior) wine (3 Euro ) and a (0.75L) bottle of carbonated water (2 Euro)
    The total bill was 15.50 Euros

Glass of house wine 2.50 Euros
    Tiramisu 3 Euros
    Total 16.50 Euros

3rd night
    Bread and water as before
    1 bottle wine - (Valpolicello) which was saved for me to finish the next night - 16 euros
    Perch with almonds and sage - 11 Euros
    Espresso coffee 1.30 Euros
    Total 31.30 Euros

4th night
    Bread and coffee as before
    Seafood salad -9 Euros
    Total 11.30 Euros

• Beaches

Osteria Santo Cielo: Atmospheric Osteria

Osteria Santo Cielo Malcesine

I was hungry after wandering around Malcesine, and I wanted a salad, but I could only find Pizzerias or fast food. There was a strong smell of frying and burgers lingering in the air :-(

I was about to give up - I had just over an hour until the ferry left for Brenzone- when I came across a small square with tables outside an Osteria.

An Osteria is a tavern rather than a restaurant, serving wines, beers, food and snacks.

My limited experience of eating /drinking in Italian Osterias, is that they are often more atmospheric than restaurants, are good value, with the emphasis on good quality ingredients, served simply. They are often frequented by local diners, not just tourists/visitors.

I perused a menu - there was a selection of salads - and an absence of cooking fumes!!

I had to wait quite a while to be served - there was only one person serving and preparing the food, and he'd disappeared for a while, so I ventured inside, ready to place my order.

I was completely bowled over- a dark cellar like room with a very well stocked bar of wine and beers, and a food area with salads, antipasto, cheeses etc - I couldn't resist taking a couple of pics.

I ordered a salad and a beer, and sat in the sun under a parasol, eagerly anticipating the arrival of my food.

It was well worth waiting for - an attractively arranged fresh, crisp looking salad, fresh bread, balsamic vinegar and olive oil -

I don't know if the waiter/chef was the owner - (Since my return home I've found there is a web page, which says Hella Nods is the owner of this place - it doesn't sound like an Italian name, and he didn't look typically Italian)

He was a bit of a dour character, but I'd much rather come to a place with great food and atmosphere, where the staff aren't falsely cheerful - I think he let the food speak for itself!

This was the hi-light of my visit to Malcesine!

If I return to Lake Garda, I'd return to Malcesine just to visit this traditional authentic Osteria - A Great find!!!! Recommended!

Favorite Dish: My salad was just what I wanted- Good Quality, a variety of fresh ingredients, and attractively served.

The accompanying fresh brown bread, balsamic vinegar and olive oil was a bonus - I love bread dipped in these 2 condiments!

Lettuce, tomato, olives, radish, sweetcorn, grated carrots, onion all served in a bowl. This was 6.50 Euros

My draught beer was good too - cold and crisp - a German pilsner.

• Beer Tasting

• davesut's Profile Photo

Puntalida in Riva: Puntalida - not so good

by davesut Written Jun 27, 2008

A good location but very busy which sells a selection of sandwiches and geleteria. Not the best place to go. There were not enough staff to cope with the demand when we were there and were kept waiting for ages. On to avoid.

• davesut's Profile Photo

snack bar!!: Moniga DEl Garda snack at the beach

by davesut Updated Jun 1, 2008

note only Italian spoken here - bella, bella

Great for panninis and drinks this snack bar on the harbour and close to the Beach served up good quality stuff for us - recommend for lunch if you are on the beach or at the harbour waiting for a ferry.

Instant Answers: Lago di Garda

Comments

Lago di Garda Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Lago di Garda restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lago di Garda sightseeing.

View all Lago di Garda hotels