Menaggio Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Menaggio

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

by Gillybob Written Jul 8, 2012
    Monumento alla Tessitrice

Take a walk along Menaggio's lakeside promenade and, amongst the flower beds, you will find this monument built to honour the women silk weavers.

This piece is by Francesco Somaini, a resident of Lomazzo on Lake Como (1926 - 2005). It honours the women silk weavers of the area and is found near the site of one of the oldest and most prestigious mills. Lake Como is famous for its silk.

Monumento alla Tessitrice was sculpted between 1989 and 1990 and was donated by Mariola Mantero Frontini.

• The only way to see the Lake! Go by boat!

by travelinpairs Written Apr 16, 2012
    Hire a boat on Lake Como

We also stayed on Lake Como last year and found the best way to travel was first by Ferry (check the timetables though, especially Varenna in the evening) and then for that special, do what you want day, hire a boat from Menaggio.

There are a few companies on the Lake that do this, but Menaggio is really central and has a car ferry terminal, so its easy to get there and pick up the boats! Menaggio forms part of the Golden triangle of Bellagio and Varenna, the places not to miss!

I and my wife and two boys hired the boat from Happy Holiday Homes/Nautique planet, who have a dedicated website explaining everything about the rentals. They also have an office on the main street. No license needed, brand new boats, all safety wear included etc.

You won't be disappointed, in fact we are going back this year as well!

Just visit www.lakecomoboats.com or call +44 (0)207 0990868 or IT: +39 0344 538104

• Photography

• AC BOAT RENTAL....in Menaggio

by pgandola Written Jan 31, 2011

We stayed on Lake Como for 1 week. One of the best opportunities on lake is to rent a motorboat to discover the wonderful beaches, villas and towns directly from the boat.
    In Menaggio there is a very good and professional rental company, AC BOAT (www.acboatrentals.com) that offers 40Hp motorboats to drive without license and kayaks.
    The boats are the biggest in Menaggio and are suitable for 6 people, FUEL, life jackets are also included. A nice thing is that they send you a nice picture of your experience on board of their boat (always included into the price). All boats are endowed with a GPS tracker system, in case of emergency.
    AC BOAT headquarter is direclty on the floating pontoon on the lakeside, just few steps from the main square (Piazza Garibaldi) or from the ferry.
    If you stay in Bellagio, Tremezzo, Varenna, Cadenabbia you can ask for a delivery service (with a small surcharge) that permits you to depart directly nearby your property.
    For further informations you can visit: www.acboatrentals.com or by email: acboat@hotmail.it
    From April to October AC BOAT answer at: (+39) 3459010694

• Kayaking

• aukahkay's Profile Photo

Menaggio - Lovely town on Lake Como

by aukahkay Written Feb 10, 2006

Menaggio - beautiful town on Lake Como

Menaggio is a lovely little Italian town on Lake Como. I had a cappucino and an Italian gelato by the lakeside. In summer, you can also take a boat cruise on Lake Como, dropping by the other towns on this beautiful lake.

• Hike up to Mt. Grona

by annamantere Written Jul 9, 2003

This was the highlight of my trip to Lago di Como. We hiked up to Mt. Grona which is 1736 meters high, we stayed in the rifugio which is on a way to the top.
    First you take a bus up to Breglia, which is about 6 km away from Menaggio, I hear it´s not worth the walk. You get off the bus at the last stop and from there follow the red and yellow signs up to rifugio.
    The walk up to the rifugio took us about an hour and a half. The scenery was amazing, you could see the lake and snowy tops of prealps. At times it felt a bit heavy, but definately not too demanding and you can always have a rest. We ate a bit at the rifugio, admaring the scenery, before making it to the top. From rifugio to the top it´s 300m. ascent and for unexperienced climber/hiker it felt very steep and heavy. Nature is very different up there, we even saw a wild mountaingoat (we think..). Also we met a big herd of not so wild goats, which wasn´t as nice. We were coming down from the top, kind of really climbing, as in holding on to the rocks with hands etc. so we started hearing these bells and after a while saw this herd of goats just above us. They kept coming closer and closer and we tried to get away from them as fast as it was possible under the circumstances.. I was really freaked out, even though I spent my childhood in the countryside, with cows and bulls etc.. We were scared that they would start pushing us, as goats tend to do (at least in the comic-books) and when finally one of them came down to me and started licking(!) my calves I was half laughing and half crying. I couldn´t move `cause the goat was blocking my way, and if I had moved it would have meant a looong fall down... obviously the goats were friendly enough, but I wasn´t that easily convinced at the time.. finally we started shouting at the goats trying to scare them off (or something..) and it worked. They backed off a bit, but followed us from a distance almost all the way down to the rifugio.
    A bit scary, but all in all, probably one of the best experiences in my life.

• Mountain Climbing

• Castle of Vezio

by annamantere Updated Jul 9, 2003

Old castle up on the hill in Varenna. It´s a nice walk up there and the views on the way and from the castle are great. In the castle there is hawks and owls, and in the piece of paper they give you when buying a ticket, it sais that between 4 and 6 p.m. you can look at hawks flying and offer your hand for them to land on... I didn´t see any owls though and we were there before noon, so the hawks were chained to some kind of stands. You could see them really close though and they were beautiful. There was a birdguide, who was happy to answer questions about the birds. Entrance-fee was 3 euros for students.

• Castles and Palaces

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

by Gillybob Written Jul 8, 2012
    Ai Caduti del Mare

Not far from the Monumento alla Tessitrice on Menaggio's lakeside promenade, you will find another monument - Ai Caduti del Mare.

This piece honours the fallen - those lost during wars.

• vivimero's Profile Photo

don't do nothing....

by vivimero Written Jul 24, 2005

just seat, relax and enjoy the view.
    andrea is a king in making some cocktails and his happy hour is one of the best!

Instant Answers: Menaggio

Comments

Menaggio Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Menaggio things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Menaggio sightseeing.