X - Miscellaneous and not relevant, Milan

Know about this? Rate It!

Museums in Castello Sforzesco
  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Corso Vittorio Emanuele

by croisbeauty Updated Jan 24, 2014

Corso Vittorio Emanuele

Favorite thing: Corso Vittorio Emanuele is one of the bussiest streets of Milano, a real shopping paradise. Here you can see and being seen. If you are lucky enough, here you can meet the celebrities of Milano when walking or shopping in the most expensive shops of the town.
    To those who can afford it, I suggest to seat in the street cafes (coffee is 2 and up euros, ice-cream 10 and more), and watching people passing by.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

What I still have to do...

by ettiewyn Updated Aug 19, 2012

Museums in Castello Sforzesco

Favorite thing: Always leave something for the next visit! These are the things I didn't do in Milan so far and that I want to do when going back:

Museo Del Duomo - as the name says, this is a museum connected to the Duomo

Naviglio Grande - a quarter in the southern part of Milan with a big canal and many shops and cafés

Via Brera and surrounds - a very lively quarter with many cafés and antiquity shops

Palazzo Borromeo - the city residence of the House of Borromeo

Museums in Castello Sforzesco - there are three museums located in the castle, showing ancient arts, arts and furniture from the 15th to the 20th century, and applied arts.

Palazzo Isimbardi, Museo Poldi Pezzoli, Museo Bagatti Valsecchi - historical buildings that now present historical furniture and other items

Museo Nazionale della Scienza e della tecnica - a science museum that also has a Leonardo DaVinci gallery

Civiche Raccolte Storiche - several small museums about Milan's history (from the Middle Ages to the two world wars, maritime history and Italian history)

Museo Diocesano - a museum of religious art from the diocese of Milan

Civico Museo Archeologico - Milan's archeological museum (I only visited the entrance area)

Via Circo - a street where there are many Roman relics

Quadrilatero/Via Montenapoleone - the fashion district that also has interesting architecture

Corse di Porta Romana, Via Manzoni, Corso Venezia - boulevards with many elegant buildings

Ca' Granda - this was once the big hospital of Milan and is now part of the university

Palazzo Sormani Andreani - today, this palace is the city library

Guardino della Guastalla - the oldest garden in Milan

Largo Augusto - the location of Milan's plague column

Conservatorio di Musica Guiseppe Verdi - Milan's conservatorium, named after the famous composer although he was rejected here!

Pinacoteca di Brera - art from the 13th to the 20th century

Villa Belgiojoso Bonaparte - this is now the Museo dell'Ottocentro, showing arts from the 19th century

Giardini Pubblici - the city park

...and many, many more churches, such as Santa Maria della Passione, Sant' Eustorgio, Abazzia di Chiaravalle, and countless more!

Aedicule with the Virgin in Via Padova

by Mikebond Written Feb 24, 2010

the Annunciation in Via Padova

Favorite thing: Via Padova is a street near the place where Hotel Agape lies (in the neighbourhood of Crescenzago). My father drove along it on our way home and I photographed this beautiful aedicule dedicated to the Lady of Redemption, showing the Annunciation.
    Today via Padova is one of the most multi-ethnic streets in Milan. Almost all its inhabitants are foreigners belonging to different communities.

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

My hometown has its street too!

by Mikebond Written Feb 24, 2010
    via Rovigo

Fondest memory: I was quite surprised when I noticed that a street in the neighbourhood of Crescenzago (where my parents and I stayed at Hotel Agape) was named after my hometown Rovigo, so I took a picture of the plate.
    Anyway, it is not so weird to find such a name for a Milan street: many people emigrated from my hometown and its province, Polésine, to Milan to find a job at the beginning of the 20th century, and to flee after the tremendous 1951 Po flood.

Inscriptions deleting service

by Mikebond Updated Nov 21, 2008

Inscription deleting service

Fondest memory: These posters are very funny and represent the will to prevent ignorant people from writing on the walls of Milan buildings. The big inscription in the first photo says "Moran, my heart is suffering" and below "The eyes of the Milanese, too" (white on green) - "Inscription deleting service". The big inscription in the second photo means "If you didn't love me, I wouldn't live", but it is written with a wrong tense; possible English equivalents could be "If you didn't love me, I didn't live" or "If you wouldn's love me, I wouldn't live". I didn't know such a useful service existed.

Wrong ortograph!

by Mikebond Written Apr 12, 2008

wrong ortograph

Fondest memory: I saw this inscription on a wall in the quartier of Crescenzago, in a suburb of Milano, where we stayed at Hotel Agape. It was fun because the author didn't know how to write Lenin correctly. Someone who saw the mistake (and who probably didn't agree with the content) wrote "Ignoranti!" ("Ignorant!") below. I don't know if you can see it.

• jubistuta79's Profile Photo

Check Internet b4 move

by jubistuta79 Written Jan 12, 2008

Favorite thing: Before you plan to go for any event or concert, check from internet. Most of deal in Milan can be done via internet, There are some website quite useful for travellers.
    1. www.milaninfotourist.com; you can check city sights, events, weather (its very important), transportation , accomodation etc.
    2. www.ticketweb.prenofacile.it; to buy a tickets either for theatre, sports and exhibition. If you Inter fans, you can buy here. If you AC Milan fans, can get a ticket from fanshop, also from their website.

• isolina_it's Profile Photo

Teatro Strehler

by isolina_it Written Apr 1, 2005

Favorite thing: The spacious, modern Teatro Giorgio Strehler (Largo Greppi 1, east of the Piazzo Castello, Brera, Milan, Italy) takes its name from a famous Italian theater director and holds dance and musical performances as well as plays The horseshoe-shape Teatro Studio (Via Rivoli 6, Castello, Milan, Italy) is a popular venue for experimental theater and music concerts.

• Polly74's Profile Photo

What a surprise!

by Polly74 Written Mar 18, 2005

Claudio Baglioni singing

Fondest memory: What a surprise arriving in Piazza Duomo and hearing one of my favourite singers singing one of my favourit songs!
    On that afternoon, Claudio Baglioni was trying for the concert he had on that evening.
    I can assure you that visiting Milan with a soundtrack like this was simply great!!!!

Take a Taxi to Duomo

by Erkmen Written Mar 16, 2005

Favorite thing: After you have finished at baggage storage, now you can lead to the city center. Which means to duomo..

Just outside the train station you can see the white Taxis that can take you down there.. Dont hesitate it is not far but more for a walking distance..

• coceng's Profile Photo

Meeting Maxi

by coceng Updated Feb 17, 2005
    Maxi & Me in Milan...

Fondest memory: Meeting my VT friend Maxi ( a VT member...) is nice. Milan is his hometown. The photo shows us together after eating at one of the most expensive restaurants in Milan (according to Maxi), McDonald's !
    Ain't he sweet ?
    Both of us are sweet (according to him again).

• Gay and Lesbian

• Mazza1's Profile Photo

The Beautiful people, the beautiful people

by Mazza1 Updated Jan 14, 2005

Favorite thing: Milan made an extremely interesting exercise in people watching, but I cant say I really connected to the soul of the place, as the main ethos and emphasis of Milanese life was that of living the lifestyle. This is pursued with near religious acharnement. You might be interested to know that apart from the Gucci glasses and funky hair, the Milanese style hinges on a more classic look with mink fur coats and besmocked poochies as the ultimate accessory for wealthy residents, particularly of middle-aged women and naturally de riguer for La Scala-ites! Scalamania has recently taken on fresh impetus with the recent victorious re-opening of the popular lyrical theatre after a 3 -year and £42m restoration project. (The Duomo looks to be following suit as the whole of the façade was covered in scaffolding while we were there).

Fondest memory: The weekend in Milan did my Italian a world of good considering the number of times I had to complain. As a tourist I am highly suspicious of being fleeced, fobbed off and generally taken advantage of. I quibbled everything - from charges on bills that I didn't understand, to poor customer service. At the airport ticket kiosk for the coach into town, appalled by the off-hand manner of the clerk I ordered the ticket man to get off his mobile phone while serving me. Inevitably I was met with an evil stare. Airport service for you - sometimes it really is not worth it!
    By the end of the weekend I was thoroughly fed up of unscrupulous types blustering and expostulating at everything I pointed out that I was not happy about, and with good reason too. It's all about making the quick buck in Italy. Now don't get me wrong, I am not a petty person, I am not even an especially difficult person, (I am just one of the most demanding when it comes to exacting the highest standards!!!!) That notwithstanding one thing I feel very passionately about is the experience of the traveller, the right of access to the same standards as ordinary locals. I will put to rights any individual who thinks they can palm me off with a second rate experience because I am a clueless foreigner who does not speak the language or know the value of the moneta.

• antistar's Profile Photo

Architecture

by antistar Written Jan 8, 2005

Archway, Corso Venezia, Milan

Favorite thing: All around Milan, even away from the popular tourist areas near the Duomo, the architecture in Milan was very impressive. Apart from the modern buildings, which are mostly a blight on the city, much of everything else is fantastic. Even ordinary, nameless buildings can be impressive, like the archway in the picture here, taken on Corso Venezia, opposite the Natural History Museum.

• Erkmen's Profile Photo

Down to the metro station

by Erkmen Written Oct 25, 2004

Favorite thing: When you go down to the metro stationfrom cadorna Train station.. You will see a typical italian metro line..

Metro has three lines Green, Yellow and Red.. From cadorna station only line Green and red passes..

If you want to go to centrale, you shoul take the green line and after 5 stops you will be there.. And if you want to get to Duomo, take the red line.. or just walk..

Taking a metro ticket at first seems very complicated but its very easy.. There are ticket machines everywhere and when you get in front of the ticket machine you see a map and many buttons.. whhoooppsss..

Dont be surprised there is a blue button above all buttons and just press that.. Thats the ticket for inland travel in milano and put 1 euro to the tocken box.. Below you will have your ticket..

From Cadorna To Centrale or to the city

by Erkmen Written Oct 25, 2004

Favorite thing: When you arrive to the Cadorna train station, you can either just walk to the city or get on the metro where you want to go..

If you need to go to Centrale Train station, than you should take the metro.. Or if you want to go directly to Duomo, you can also take the metro..

Picture shows the outside of the train station and down you can see the stairs to the metro station..

Instant Answers: Milan