X - Miscellaneous and not relevant, Milan

Know about this? Rate It!

Museums in Castello Sforzesco
  • Polly74's Profile Photo

What a surprise!

by Polly74 Written Mar 18, 2005

Claudio Baglioni singing

Fondest memory: What a surprise arriving in Piazza Duomo and hearing one of my favourite singers singing one of my favourit songs!
    On that afternoon, Claudio Baglioni was trying for the concert he had on that evening.
    I can assure you that visiting Milan with a soundtrack like this was simply great!!!!

• feline01's Profile Photo

feline01's General Tip

by feline01 Written Aug 26, 2002

Fondest memory: Turning 29 in Milano and going out to a Sri Lankan meal with Paola and her friends followed by a very fun evening at a Communist rally/carnival. Who knew that those Milanese communists knew how to party so well? That was my first and last Sri Lankan meal not because it was horrid, it was very good but because I haven't found a Sri Lankan place since then.

• photobf's Profile Photo

This was a very strange...

by photobf Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: This was a very strange experience. I was visiting the Cathedral, and this huge crowd of people started gathering and this guy came out of the bank there. He started making a speak, and I have NO idea what he was saying, but I thought I should get a picture=)

• Pina's Profile Photo

Andare in Valtellina a vedere...

by Pina Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Andare in Valtellina a vedere le cascatelle tra i monti.... come questa!!!!
    Non è un piccolo miracolo della natura????
    L'altro miracolo a due gambe è Ari ;-)

• josie13's Profile Photo

If you're in Milan during...

by josie13 Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: If you're in Milan during September, take a trip to Monza and watch the Formula 1 race. That is, of course, if you like this sort of event.

Fondest memory: I will never forget jumping on to the Monza circuit after the race and running towards the podium to see the winners up close. Flags waved, everyone was trying to get on national tv and I managed to take a picture on pole position.

• If you want to cut your hair...

by Stylist Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: If you want to cut your hair or get another color when in Milan - try

Toni & Guy in via V. Monti 27
    tel: 02 48027137.
    If you wanna cut your hair ask for Christiano or change the color ask for Andrea

Fondest memory: I spent almost 6h in that salong cutting and coloring my hair and had a really fun day! They treat you really nice and as a foreigner and specially as a girl you'll be the main attraction!

• LinguaDueitalian language...

by Stylist Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: LinguaDue
    italian language school in Cso Buenos Aires (M:Lima)
    great school, native italian teach their language in 9 different levels (each level last 1 month) after Services: school activites, pick-up service at the airport, different kinds of accomodation the school will arrange.
    www.linguadue.com
    e-mail:linduemi@tin.it

Fondest memory: beeing in a class with students from all over the world. In my first class we were students from Switzerland, France, USA, Israel, Korea, Japan, Cuba

The progress in the language was amazing- thank you Grazia!

• MVMT's Profile Photo

know a bit of its history:...

by MVMT Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: know a bit of its history: Lombardy, which takes its name from the Lombards, a Germanic people who dominated the region from the sixth to the eighth century A.D., dates back over 9,000 years to the Camuni civilisation, traces of which remain in some 300,000 rock carvings, dotted over 24,000 rocks in Valcamonica; a world heritage archaeological site.
    Thanks to its geographical position, as far back as the first Iron Age Lombardy was a crossroads and a meeting point between the cultural areas of the Mediterranean and the continent. During the fifth and fourth centuries B.C. various Celtic tribes migrated into the region in waves. Around 400 B.C. the Insubri people founded Milan after having conquered the Etruscans.
    Following the collapse of the Roman Empire, Lombardy fell easy prey to the barbarian hoards invading from northern Europe. In 493 A.D. the whole of the Po River valley came under the rule of Theodoric, king of the Ostrogoths. In the second half of the sixth century A.D. the Lombards arrived and established their government at Pavia.

In 774 A.D. Charlemagne’s Franks conquered king Desiderio thus initiating Carolingian rule. In the tenth century, Lombardy was convulsed by a series of struggles between bishops and feudal lords. The era of the communes began with the final defeat of the power of the bishops. In 1176, in the battle of Legnano, the Lombard communes, united under the banner of the League, defeated Frederick I, nicknamed Barbarossa.
    The Middle Ages marked a glorious period in Lombard history, with Romanic culture mediating between the classical influence and that of the Christian barbarians. By the end of the twelfth century the administrative framework of the commune had been defined and consolidated. The era of the communes saw the ascendancy of the great dynasties: the Della Torre family, then the Viscontis, who came to power in 1278 when Ottone Visconti was proclaimed lord of Milan, while the Gonzagas, powerful land owners and great builders, conquered Mantua in 1328. The Visconti period was a decisive one in the history of the region due to their expansionist policies, which dotted the Po River valley with castles and huge farmhouses. From 1428 Bergamo, Brescia and subsequently Crema belonged to the Republic of Venice for three hundred years. With the treaty of Lodi in 1454 Francesco Sforza was installed as duke of Milan. The Sforzas brought the formation of a powerful State to completion: this was the golden age of the Renaissance, which began with Leonardo da Vinci's stay in Milan.

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

My hometown has its street too!

by Mikebond Written Feb 24, 2010
    via Rovigo

Fondest memory: I was quite surprised when I noticed that a street in the neighbourhood of Crescenzago (where my parents and I stayed at Hotel Agape) was named after my hometown Rovigo, so I took a picture of the plate.
    Anyway, it is not so weird to find such a name for a Milan street: many people emigrated from my hometown and its province, Polésine, to Milan to find a job at the beginning of the 20th century, and to flee after the tremendous 1951 Po flood.

• Mazza1's Profile Photo

The Beautiful people, the beautiful people

by Mazza1 Updated Jan 14, 2005

Favorite thing: Milan made an extremely interesting exercise in people watching, but I cant say I really connected to the soul of the place, as the main ethos and emphasis of Milanese life was that of living the lifestyle. This is pursued with near religious acharnement. You might be interested to know that apart from the Gucci glasses and funky hair, the Milanese style hinges on a more classic look with mink fur coats and besmocked poochies as the ultimate accessory for wealthy residents, particularly of middle-aged women and naturally de riguer for La Scala-ites! Scalamania has recently taken on fresh impetus with the recent victorious re-opening of the popular lyrical theatre after a 3 -year and £42m restoration project. (The Duomo looks to be following suit as the whole of the façade was covered in scaffolding while we were there).

Fondest memory: The weekend in Milan did my Italian a world of good considering the number of times I had to complain. As a tourist I am highly suspicious of being fleeced, fobbed off and generally taken advantage of. I quibbled everything - from charges on bills that I didn't understand, to poor customer service. At the airport ticket kiosk for the coach into town, appalled by the off-hand manner of the clerk I ordered the ticket man to get off his mobile phone while serving me. Inevitably I was met with an evil stare. Airport service for you - sometimes it really is not worth it!
    By the end of the weekend I was thoroughly fed up of unscrupulous types blustering and expostulating at everything I pointed out that I was not happy about, and with good reason too. It's all about making the quick buck in Italy. Now don't get me wrong, I am not a petty person, I am not even an especially difficult person, (I am just one of the most demanding when it comes to exacting the highest standards!!!!) That notwithstanding one thing I feel very passionately about is the experience of the traveller, the right of access to the same standards as ordinary locals. I will put to rights any individual who thinks they can palm me off with a second rate experience because I am a clueless foreigner who does not speak the language or know the value of the moneta.

Take a Taxi to Duomo

by Erkmen Written Mar 16, 2005

Favorite thing: After you have finished at baggage storage, now you can lead to the city center. Which means to duomo..

Just outside the train station you can see the white Taxis that can take you down there.. Dont hesitate it is not far but more for a walking distance..

• isolina_it's Profile Photo

Teatro Strehler

by isolina_it Written Apr 1, 2005

Favorite thing: The spacious, modern Teatro Giorgio Strehler (Largo Greppi 1, east of the Piazzo Castello, Brera, Milan, Italy) takes its name from a famous Italian theater director and holds dance and musical performances as well as plays The horseshoe-shape Teatro Studio (Via Rivoli 6, Castello, Milan, Italy) is a popular venue for experimental theater and music concerts.

Arriving Milano

by Erkmen Written Oct 22, 2004

Favorite thing: Milan has two airports Malpensa is the main one and linetta as the sub..

Malpensa airport is just an hours drive from Milan, where Lineta is almost near to the center. Most international flights are landing to Malpensa airport.

Before going to Milan I have checked what is the best way to reach milan center. There are many tips about it, but still confused which is the best way.

When you are out from the baggage claim what you will see is on the picture..:)

On the way to Milano

by Erkmen Written Oct 22, 2004
    Inside the malpensa express

Favorite thing: When I got my ticket I just walked down and get on the Malpensa Express Train.. Malpensa Express trains are quiet comfortable and nice looking. These double deckers have first floor where you can store your baggage and upstairs more comfortable seats..

I do not like taking pictures of girls :).. But occasionally this girl has appeared to be on my camera.. Really something out of control...

From Cadorna To Centrale or to the city

by Erkmen Written Oct 25, 2004

Favorite thing: When you arrive to the Cadorna train station, you can either just walk to the city or get on the metro where you want to go..

If you need to go to Centrale Train station, than you should take the metro.. Or if you want to go directly to Duomo, you can also take the metro..

Picture shows the outside of the train station and down you can see the stairs to the metro station..

Instant Answers: Milan