Places to eat in Milan

Alle Langhe, May 2014
    by MM212

Most Viewed Restaurants in Milan

• leics's Profile Photo

City Life: Good value, friendly staff, full of Italians.....

by leics Updated Oct 25, 2014

I added the 'full of Italians' bit because I am frequently very irritated by those few who consider places like this to be 'touristy' simply because they are not hidden away in backstreets and have English on the menu.

City Life is a cafe/bar/self-service restaurant near Milan Centrale station, with seating inside and outside (undercover and with heaters when it's chilly). I stopped there for an espresso and a beer (on tap) soon after I'd checked into my hotel and was so taken with the pleasant and friendly staff and the free and very tasty aperitivi that I went back later for my evening meal.

I was feeling rough so had little appetite and thus chose a pizza vegetariana. It was huge, and very tasty, with a crisp base and plenty of vegetables. But it was far too much for me to eat. I asked if I could box up the remaining half and the staff did not blink an eye ('doggy bags' are not the norm in Europe). I was very pleased by that and gave the remaining half to a homeless man on the way back to the hotel.

From reading reviews elsewhere it seems this place is very popular not only with locals on their way to and from work but also for lunch. I wish now II'd been up to trying the self-service part, which apparently has a huge range of salads & dishes on offer, but it is as it is. I'll definitely try it next time I'm in Milan.

It's well worth seeking out this place if you want to eat near Milan Centrale.

Piazza Vegetariana Beer, espresso & aperitivi
    • Singles
    • Seniors

• glo39's Profile Photo

Trattoria dei Cacciatori: Food to die for!

by glo39 Updated Apr 29, 2014

With my rudimentary Italian I prodded the hotel clerk to give us a recommendation to someplace non touristy. The Trattoria dei Cacciatori is located in Castello di Longhignana. What a beautiful and picturesque setting.
    The service was impeccable, the wine lovely, the food outstanding. What a find this was in this otherwise industrial area of Milano. Fabulous.

Favorite Dish: My son and I dined there 2 evenings in a row. The 1st night we sat inside and the 2nd night outside under the arbors. We were recognized the 2nd evening and we were given the same 2 waiters to attend to us which was fine with me.
    The hostess sent them hopping for English menus for us as well when she saw us returning.
    The 1st evening we had: gnocchi, zuppa, flan, fiori e porcini, coniglio, cicorino, torta fondente, mousse and espresso.
    The 2nd night we enjoyed: merluzzo, flan, ravioli pesce, pappardelle, costata, spiedini, mousse, clafoutis and limoncello on the house

• Business Travel

• kimberly13's Profile Photo

Samarcanda: Best food, pizza and desert!

by kimberly13 Written May 10, 2012

A hole in the wall restaurant attached to a corner store. A few minutes walk from the Holiday Inn express in Malpensa, Milan, Italy. Walking over the cobblestone deserted street, I couldn't get there fast enough! Had the most delicious pasta and desert one night desert was Figs drenched in a zabaione sauce...omgggg! the most delicious food to ever touch my taste buds! Second night I had a delicious pizza from a very large selection and the same desert.....great wine too! a MUST go to restaurant!!!! Casual attire.

Favorite Dish: Crystalized figs in zabaione sauce.

• Wine Tasting

• Mazza1's Profile Photo

N/A: Good luck finding a good one

by Mazza1 Written Jan 14, 2005

Perhaps the most exclusive thing we did was lunch in Savini's, a Milanese Institution, which is located beside the Louis Vuitton store in the Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele II (the world's first Mall) where the likes of Onassis and Callas have dined. After savouring some recommended Milanese specialities - including a 'Risotto al salto' (saffron risotto pancake) and the sumptuous 'Osso Buco' (Breaded veal cutlets) served with spinaci, we quizzed the waiter, a most attentive young man by the name of Emiliano on the subject of Milanese nightlife. The wine list was quite impressive with prices ranging from about 60 Euros for a standard bottle of table plonk to 1,000 Euros for the extravagant/connoisseur's choice. I have a photograph of the bill!)
    we focused most of our efforts during that weekend on sophisticated dining experiences and we were not disappointed. Although we had much trouble finding a suitable place open on a Sunday, we hedged our bets on a locally-frequented trattoria slightly out of the way in the University district. Our instincts told us it was right for us, and the displays of fresh looking seafood and fish, homemade dolci on the cake tray and the sight of a typically large Italian family making an entire afternoon out of Sunday lunch confirmed this. Not a single non-local in sight!
    Reservations at many of the top-notch restaurants, many of which remain closed off-season is mandatory, and research on gastronomy beforehand is a must!
    In terms of the concentration of places to eat, you are spoilt for choice in the Brera (girdling the historical heart of the city) and the Navigli districts, (the latter tending to more rustic, Tuscan style of cuisine) and accommodating the most pizza-pasta hungry of tastes!

• Mazza1's Profile Photo

N/A: Good luck finding a good one

by Mazza1 Written Jan 14, 2005

• baronedivandastad's Profile Photo

Il Veliero: Home made seafood

by baronedivandastad Written Jun 4, 2004

This place is actually in Corsico, to be more specific in Trezzano, and is a real jewel. I bumped into it while strolling around in a nondescript suburban area one night when I was too lazy to go to the centre. The first impression was a bit weird: a semidark bar and a family eating in front of the TV. We asked if we could eat and they basically opened the place for us. The choice wasn't that wide, but the seafood was absolutely fabulous. Our pasta portion was so big we couldn't eat anything else. All for 15 euros each (without wine). Stunning.

Favorite Dish: Casarecci (homemade fresh pasta) with lobsters. But check what they have.

• mauro_pd's Profile Photo

Via del Borgo: Local masterpiece !!!

by mauro_pd Updated Feb 24, 2003

Local food with strong french influences, quiet interiors and delightful atmosphere.
    Located outside Milan (half an hour) it really deserves a visit; booking is essential, decent dress code is better.

Favorite Dish: All local food revisited ... be sure to keep extra room for dessert !!!!!!!!
    Wine list is also huge and fine selected.
    And, small detail, they have menus (I mean the piece of paper :-) with removed price dedicated to women !!!!!!!

Interiors

Club Hotel
Capitol World Class Hotel
Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Milan

Comments

Milan Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Milan locals.
Map of Milan