Places to eat in Milan

Most Viewed Restaurants in Milan

• MM212's Profile Photo

Alle Langhe: Cucina delle Langhe

by MM212 Updated May 16, 2014

Trattoria alle Langhe was recommended by a milanese colleague of mine, so I made a lunch reservation in advance of a trip to Milan. Subsequently, I found an excellent review of it in The Economist's City Guide of Milan which made me look forward to eating there even more. This was in December 2006, on my first visit to Milan when I was to spend an afternoon in the city in transit, but a delayed flight arrival meant I missed the strict lunch hours and had to depart without the much anticipated meal.

Six years later, I returned to Milan for an afternoon on business, and made sure this time to recover my lost meal and it was no disappointment. On another visit in May 2014, I managed to have an enjoyable dinner here.

The menu serves some Milanese dishes alongside specialties from the Piedmont region of Le Langhe. It is located in the chic area of Corso Como, just below the newly constructed modern towers.

Alle Langhe, May 2014

• glo39's Profile Photo

Trattoria dei Cacciatori: Food to die for!

by glo39 Updated Apr 29, 2014

With my rudimentary Italian I prodded the hotel clerk to give us a recommendation to someplace non touristy. The Trattoria dei Cacciatori is located in Castello di Longhignana. What a beautiful and picturesque setting.
    The service was impeccable, the wine lovely, the food outstanding. What a find this was in this otherwise industrial area of Milano. Fabulous.

Favorite Dish: My son and I dined there 2 evenings in a row. The 1st night we sat inside and the 2nd night outside under the arbors. We were recognized the 2nd evening and we were given the same 2 waiters to attend to us which was fine with me.
    The hostess sent them hopping for English menus for us as well when she saw us returning.
    The 1st evening we had: gnocchi, zuppa, flan, fiori e porcini, coniglio, cicorino, torta fondente, mousse and espresso.
    The 2nd night we enjoyed: merluzzo, flan, ravioli pesce, pappardelle, costata, spiedini, mousse, clafoutis and limoncello on the house

• Business Travel

• bonio's Profile Photo

Birreriabq: Craft beer

by bonio Written Dec 19, 2013

A chain of pubs around Milan, this one closest for us, and, a great choice of beers on offer, enjoyed all we tried. Simple bar snacks on offer too but, this is a place for a beer lover - enjoyed very much!

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Bar Pizzeria Duca 12: Avoid This One!!!

by johngayton Updated Nov 27, 2013

This tip will also appear as a "Warning and Danger" as this place turned out to be a totally shameless rip-off.

After a long day's travelling (about 26 hours all told) I'd decided to eat close to my hotel and grab a few takeaway beers and an early-ish night. This pizza place, on the Piazza Duca D'Aosta, was pretty much opposite my hotel and with a few others eating on the slightly scruffy terrace looked OK to me. I duly sat down ordered a beer and a Pizza Inferno which admittedly arrived quite promptly. The beer was cold and the pizza edible - a little bland and lacking any serious heat to justify the "Inferno" bit. I ordered another beer and sat watching some drunks fooling around on the Piazza which was quite entertaining (a bit like looking in a mirror for me!).

On the table next to me an oldish couple were paying their bill. The man pointed to something on it and asked, in Italian, a quite verbal question. The youngish, quite heavy-set, waiter responded agitatedly in rapid-fire Italian and made some positively-threatening body-language gestures. The two had a short, but very heated, argument about the bill which eventually the man paid, looking very disgusted.

As the couple were about to leave the man leant over to my table and said something, in Italian obviously, to me which began with the word "Attenzione...". Unfortunately my command of the language is limited to being able to order a beer, and that's it, and so when I shrugged my shoulders to indicate I didn't understand the guy looked at me with sympathy and tried again a bit slower. I still didn't grasp what he was trying to say and so they left with the guy looking daggers at the waiter.

I was soon to find out what it had been about though. When I got my bill (handwritten BTW) it was itemised - pizza 10 Euros, beer x 2 11 Euros and then an 8 Euro addition to bring the total to 29 Euros. When I challenged the 8 Euro extra charge the waiter launched aggressively into something about "cover and service charges". Well I now understood what the previous table had been arguing over but I paid the 29 Euros anyway, handing him 30 in notes. He actually came back with my 1 Euro change and then stood over me until I said "Keep It!"

So 21 Euros for a very mediocre pizza and a couple of OK beers was, as I discovered when eating elsewhere, totally OTT and the 8 Euro "Cover and Service" a barefaced rip-off. I did encounter a "Coperto" elsewhere when I had a basket of bread with a meal but that was perfectly reasonable 1.50 and was advertised on the menu as such.

Give this one a miss!!

Frontage To Avoid! Mediocre Pizza Beer Was OK Tho'
    • Trains

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Trattoria Dodicivolte: Divine Italian Slow Food :-)

by Trekki Updated Aug 12, 2013

When we stayed in NH Fiera hotel during an exhibition in neighbouring Rho FieraMilano, we knew already that nice places to eat were not exactly around the corner or in walking distance. But our Italian colleague had a good suggestion, an excellent suggestion. He recommended we should take a taxi to the trattoria Dodicivolte in Rho’s suburb. What a splendid idea. The trattoria is located in an old house, most probably a farmer’s house and the seating area might have been a trade room, given the well restored vault. When we entered the trattoria we saw the slow food symbol at the door, a sign that we won’t be disappointed. And we were not. As usual in slow food restaurants, the menus are not extensive: a sign for fresh made meals (as opposed to extensive menus which are the best signal for deep frozen stuff or other mass products). I couldn’t convince my colleagues to eat the “Italian way”, but at least they were happy to order antipasti for all of us. My favourite among these were cotolettine marinate all’aceto balsamico, small veal cutlets marinated in balsamic vinegar, so delicious. We then had pasta dishes, mine was with dried tomatoes, olives, capers and anchovies, al dente of course and also delicious. But the best was surely my “second”: a tagliata made to perfection. Tagliata is beef tenderloin, roasted as a whole and then cut (thus the name tagliata, tagliare = to cut in Italian). My colleagues made huge eyes when it arrived and asked if I was sure to have ordered it. But then they saw my big smile and knew it was :-) It was so soft and among the best tagliate I ever ate. And last but not least I couldn’t help to finish this meal with a pannacotta and raspberry sauce. So good! Their caffè by the way, is Illy brand, my personal favourite Italian caffè powder.

Their wine list is impressive! Have a look at the website, vini. They have wines from almost every Italian region. Our waiter’s suggestion was a red one from Sardegna, Cannonau DOC. Excellent choice!

All in my entire bill would have been approx. 45 Euro plus my part for the wine. But remember that I had four courses. Pasta only was around 10 Euro. But it would be a shame to eat only pasta in this excellent restaurant.

I highly recommend Trattoria Dodicivolte and that’s why I also add it on my Rho page. Just in case someone looks up restaurants in Milano’s suburb Rho. And because of Rho is up to now not yet covered by one of us VTers, so it will be a first.

Trattoria Dodicivolte Google Maps

© Ingrid D., April 2011 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

Favorite Dish: The restaurant is closed Saturday at lunch time and all Sunday.

My tagliata, oh perfection :-) My pasta with dried tomatoes and anchovis Our antipasti selection My pannacotta with raspberries
    • Luxury Travel

• TrendsetterME's Profile Photo

Pizza Bio Solaire, Milano, Italy

by TrendsetterME Written Jun 1, 2013

Am sure that you did eat pizza at somewhere else, but as you are Milano, u shall give a try to eat pizza also in "Bio Solaire" ...

I love the atmosphere inside, not so luxury and ruled, all guests are relaxed and enjoying their meal and drinks in a cosy manner ... :)

Besides pizza, spagetti with seafood sorts and always fresh salads are very recommendable, enjoy ... :)

Pizza Bio Solaire, Milano, Italy Pizza Bio Solaire, Milano, Italy

• suzannehye's Profile Photo

Istanbul Osmanim: EXCELLENT (and cheap) Kebap and more!

by suzannehye Updated Apr 29, 2013

The night before we paid WAY to much at a fancy-schmancy restaurant. But this place, off the beaten path and looking like, well, nothing, was a jewel. We had wonderful kebaps, fries, salad, more, and the cute gal running this tiny place was a sweetie. Great experience.

Favorite Dish: Everything was fresh and good. The MIddle Eastern Desserts were awesome.

• basstbn's Profile Photo

Bar Caffé Dante: On the Via Dante

by basstbn Written Mar 20, 2013

We were getting desperately hungry as we walked along the Via Dante. Most of what we had seen in our stroll were sit-down, white table cloth restaurants, and at this early stage of our vacation we were trying to be frugal in regard to food costs. (We soon gave up that idiotic notion.) When we saw this place advertising panini that did not seem to be budget-busters, we went on in.

It was spacious, well-lit, and immaculately clean, and boring. The sandwiches were filling - but boring. The service was inattentive, but not rude as I've seen in some reviews of the establishment. At least we were no longer hungry.

I think it might have been here that we first figured out that you simply ordered water, without specifying which, you get Pellegrino, or the most expensive the establishment has to offer. No problem - I love Pellegrino.

Favorite Dish: If I were dropping in here again, it would just be for coffee and some of the tasty-looking pastries I saw being sold at the counter at the front of the store.

Seen from the Via Dante Overview from the balcony

• Elainehead's Profile Photo

Gabry e Gabry: Cheap but don't expect too much

by Elainehead Written Mar 19, 2013

From the outside, the place looks a lot better than from the inside. I was surprised to be welcomed by Asian waitresses (I think they were chinese), so I guess this place is run by a chinese family...
    There was this musty smell, so I was kind of expecting the worst when I ordered a pizza... The pizza wasn't that bad, but I wouldn't come back here.
    They have so many things of their menu that I doubt things are fresh (i.e., most likely frozen).
    Pizza prices start at 6 € (mine was 6,50€). Don't forget about the couvert charge when you eat inside.

Il forno dei Navigli: Bakery feast

by oriettaIT Written Mar 19, 2013

If you happen to be in the Navigli area to visit the artist quarter or just to stroll along the water, do not miss this fantastic bakery!
    They have a huge selection of either sweet or salted product, from cuts of pizza, focaccia or sandwiches to superb pastry, cake, pie and more.
    The counter is a triumph of colors and when you will be anywhere in the surrounding you will smell the wonderful smell that came out their door.
    Not to be missed!

Favorite Dish: We bought a couple of small berries pie for breakfast, delicious!
    you can buy breakfast or lunch for few euros, everything is freshly made.

Counter pies Focaccia The front door

Simon's bar: Pizza and more

by oriettaIT Updated Mar 18, 2013

This place is ideal for a quick and easy lunch. It's specialty is pizza pie, the kind that has a ticker and softer crust compared to normal Italian pizza. Their menu has a huge selection of topping to choose from and you can choose the size of your pizza slice, they have small and large.
    In addition to the pizza their kitchen offer a few dishes of the day, well prepared and affordable.
    The dining room is small but comfortable and they are very friendly and helpful.

Favorite Dish: We tried the hot salami and mushrooms pizza (large) and a portion of curry chicken with pilaf rice.
    Everything was really good and the price was friendly, together with two beer the bill was 30 Euros in 2012.

Pizza pie with hot salami and mushrooms Front door Chicken curry with rice

Mei Lin Restaurant: Malaysian and Asian food

by oriettaIT Written Mar 14, 2013

If you have been to Milano on a Sunday you know how hard it is to find a open restaurant! Away from the Galleria where you need a huge wallet to walk in, almost everything on a Sunday is closed, even the sandwich bar!
    We were almost desperate when we stumbled upon this Malaysian restaurant. Apart for the uninviting front window, the dining area is very elegant and well decorated.
    The owner came here in the '80 and have been working in the restaurants for a long time.
    Their selection of food is very good, they have dishes mostly from Malaysia but also Vietnam, China, Cambodia etc, they have English menu and it explain very well. they are also willing to give as many information as you need.

Favorite Dish: We ordered three different kind of rolls, spring rolls, Vietnamese rolls with meat inside, pan tao chicken rolls and my favorite: shrimp and banana rolls with sesame seeds on top! those were awesome!
    Our main course was sizling duck, that i personally don't appreciate but my partner loved it!
    I had hot sauce prawns and they were huge and delicious!

I would recommend this restaurant to everybody who love Asian food! they really know how to master it! in Italy it is really hard to find this level!

Dongio: Fantastic taste of Calabria

by oriettaIT Written Mar 14, 2013

We love spicy food and when I found out there was a restaurant run by a family from Calabria I knew we would have found some good stuff!
    It is a family run place, three generation work there and you can tell they love what they do.
    We visited it twice already in different trip and I am sure we will go back next time we are in Milano.
    The dining area is cozy and small, not too noisy. The waiter are very polite and willing to explain you the menu. They don't have a big menu but every item is put together with knowledge and cook to perfection. they vary their menu according to the season. Not every dish is spicy, actually most of them are not, if you do not like spicy food ask them to show you what to avoid.

Favorite Dish: Their appetizer are very reasonable priced and good, we tried pecorino cheese with jam, their fantastic little stuffed peppers (hot), fried artichoke and bruschetta with 'Nduja, a soft and hot salami typical of their region.
    They make all their pasta so no matter what you will pick it will be very well prepared.
    Their meat, especially the Filetto alla Normanna is exceptional. this one is a big piece of beef tenderlion grilled as much as to get it warm served with a olive oil sauce with pecorino cheese and parsley.
    As side I always order cime di rapa, a spinach looking green that taste a little like broccoli, seasoned with olive oil and garlic, another specialty of them.
    The deserts deserve a chapter on their own! they made them in the restaurant and they are really wonderful! our favorite has become the pistacchio ice cream with spicy chocolate. I never tasted a pistacchio ice cream so good! you got to try it!

They are usually full so reservation is advised.

The entrance Small hot peppers with tuna stuffing Spaghetti with hot tomatoe sauce Beef filet Normanna cime di rapa steack artichokes Pistacchio ice cream spicy chocolate crust DIE FOR

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Hosteria La Cadrega: Ambrosian Traditional

by Roadquill Written Oct 23, 2012

We enjoyed a group lunch at El Cadrega. The food was nicely prepared, including a tasty seafood salad, and a decent green salad. A wide variety of pizza's, including our first carbonara pizza. A good wine list with reasonably priced wines from many Italian regions.

• Photography

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Calafuria Unione: Night out with our Globus Tour

by 807Wheaton Updated Sep 25, 2012

We visited this restaurant as part of our Globus tour "Northern Italy and Cinque Terre". We were seated in a large room in the back where there are tables set up for a large group. We started our meal with pizza bread and bruschetta for appetizers. We had excellent spinach stuffed manicotti and spicy red sauce on pasta, french fries, and choice of beef, veal, salmon and fish. I had the beef. It was sliced thin and was a bit tough. Desert was delicious - Flam or Creme Bruele, tiramisu or chocolate cake. We could pick out the deserts we wanted to try.
    The owners were pleasant and made the evening fun. This restaurant is just steps from the Duomo.

Favorite Dish: The desserts were really wonderful - especially the tiramisu.

• Seniors

Hotel Villa Malpensa
Camperio House Suites & Apartments
Latest: Jun 29, 2014

Instant Answers: Milan

Comments

Milan Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Milan locals.
Map of Milan