Places to eat in Milan

Most Viewed Restaurants in Milan

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Il Campanile: Pizza close to the Duomo

by ettiewyn Updated Aug 20, 2012

Il Campanile is a pizza restaurant in the Duomo area, close to Piazza Mercanti. As most restaurants in this area are over the top expensive, we were happy to find this smaller restaurant that did not look as "touristy", but more down to earth. We had a table on the first floor in a pretty room, and ordered two vegetarian pizzas without cheese. Unfortunately this was not successful and we got them with cheese, although I had learned the Italian phrases by heart, but I am not sure if the waiter understood me wrong or I made my order not in the right way, or if they just didn't want to comply with our wish. We therefore only ate very little and rather stuck to our drinks (coke and coffee).

Apart from this, I liked the restaurant because it is a quite, little place away from the large crowds, and service was friendly. We paid 30€ for two pizzas, a coke, a coffee and coperto, which is not too bad considering the location in the Duomo area. The restaurant also sells different kind of snacks and sweet things. I think it is a good alternative to all the large restaurants on Via Mercanti!

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Bar della Scala: A great alternative for a break close to the Scala

by ettiewyn Written Aug 18, 2012

Before visiting the museum at the Teatro alla Scala, we needed a break and something to drink, and therefore were looking for a café. We checked the café/restaurant that is located in the same building as the opera, but were appalled by the prices and therefore went searching for an alternative. The Bar della Scala is only one block away and we decided to go there, and liked it very much.

It was quite busy there, but there were almost no tourists, most people seemed to be Italians working in the area. Service was still very quick and also very friendly. My mom liked the Espresso very much and the price was ok (although I cannot remember the exact amount), I just had a coke to refresh myself as usual. You can also have a drink at the bar without sitting down, which might be cheaper.
    We chose to sit inside to take advantage of the fan, but there is also seating outside as you can see in the picture.

If you are looking for a place to sit and have a drink close to the Scala and are looking for a more relaxed and authentic experience, I can only recommend this place!

Favorite Dish: We had nothing to eat, so I cannot commend on the food.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Biancolatte: Nice, upscale cafe

by Roadquill Written Aug 15, 2012

Biancolatte was the perfect choice for a breakfast of more than a cafe and a roll. Great coffee, but a stuffed fruit crepe, pistachio croissant, fresh orange juice. We sat inside and the service was nice, albeit a little slow. A great selection of pastries from the case, nickknacks to buy as well as package sweets and breads. Prices were slightly higher than I expected, but much less than a comparable hotel breakfast. Nicely decorated, with an open, airy feel.

• Photography

• suzannehye's Profile Photo

Ristorante Enoteca Morganti: Not worth the cost!

by suzannehye Written Jul 13, 2012

This looked like a good pick - for one thing, we were picked up from our hotel and delivered back to the hotel at no additional cost, allowing us to enjoy a bottle of wine. Unfortunately, prices were high for the quality of food. We were given a complimentary bruschetti which was soggy and without much taste. Wanting a real taste of Milano, we had the Cutlet Milano, which was overcooked and dry, and broiled swordfish, also dry. The following day we had pizza for a tiny fraction of the cost of this meal that was 10 times as fresh and good. I don't mind paying big bucks for a good meal, but this was pretty much a waste. Service was also not as attentive as it should have been. Oh, and get this: when we were picked up the radio was playing a song of which the lyrics were (repeated over and over,) "F*** you, it doesn't mean sh** to me." So pleasant!

Favorite Dish: Seafood Risotto

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Pizza OK: Where I Didn't Have The Pizza!

by johngayton Written Jun 27, 2012

It seems this is part of a small local chain of pizzerias here in Milan but none the worse for that. Despite the gaudy signage and branding the terrace, overlooking the Arco della Pace and the Piazza of the Sempione Park, is quite elegant and seemed popular with locals - judging by the Italian only conversations.

Service was pleasant and swift and the location ideal on an early summer lunchtime for sitting awhile and enjoying the relatively tranquil street views - especially the pretty girls cycling past ;-)

Favorite Dish: As well as the pizzas (which looked good BTW - thin and crispy) the menu, certainly at lunchtime anyway, offers a range of panini and salads. I just fancied something light and so opted for the house salad - "Insalata OK" which turned out to be a substantial bowl of fresh mixed leaves generously topped with ham, boiled eggs, feta cheese, plump purple olives and a sprinkling of tiny little hot (but not overly) marinated chilli peppers.

With a basket of moistly chewy crusty bread, a good olive oil and balsamic vinegar to dress the salad this was exactly what I was after for a light lunch. The beer was nicely chilled and enjoying the location I lingered with a good strong espresso and the aforementioned pretty girls.

Total bill, including a 1.50 cover charge, was 15.50 Euros which, for an slightly upmarket city centre location, was more than reasonable.

• Cycling

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Air Cafe: Cheapish Airport Eats (and beer of course!)

by johngayton Written Jun 27, 2012

As airport cafes go this one at Malpensa is pretty basic with its plasticky tables and tubular stainless steel chairs. However it is friendly and prices, for an airport, are more than reasonable. My feta cheese panino was fresh and generously filled and the Danish "Ceres" beer nicely chilled. If I remember correctly the bill was less than 7 Euros and so I had to have another beer just to celebrate ;-HIC!

Pomodorino: The Cheapest Lunch (That I Found) In Town

by johngayton Updated Jun 26, 2012

It was the sun-drenched, yet shaded, terrace which caught my eye plus the fact that it was fairly busy with local business types and so I had a look at the lunch menu. Even though my Italian is pretty much non-existent my culinary background allowed me to almost translate the "Menu' del Giorno" and the prices seemed more than reasonable.

Service was swift, the beer cold, food was tasty and plentiful and the final bill of 14.50 Euros, for two-courses, beer, coffee and the cover charge for bread, an absolute bargain.

Favorite Dish: To start I opted for the "Calamarata Allo Scoglio" which I'd guessed was going to be squid but with what I had no idea. When it arrived I thought - "OMG it's a whole plate of what are going to be chewy squid rings." But it transpired that what I'd initially taken to be the squid turned out to be pasta and the squid was of the baby variety, cooked in a fresh-flavoured tomato sauce along with a few clams, mussels and prawns. This, along with some nicely-chewy bread, was a meal in itself.

Postscript - I've now found that "Allo Scoglio" means "With Seafood" - thanks Gilly

Then for "secondi" I chose the "Verdesca Al Forno con Insalata Mista". I got the "al forno con insalata mista" bit but the "verdesca" was outside of my vocabulary - fortunately I like surprises and this turned out to be a very pleasant one. "Verdesca" is in fact "Blue Shark" and this came as another plateful along with a small mixed leaf salad. Simply oven-baked this too was tasty and substantial.

It seems that this is part of a small national chain, with five other outlets in the city, but was none the worse for that - everything was freshly cooked and the meal as a whole very good value for money.

• Hiking and Walking

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Bar New York: Don't Be Put Off By The Signage!

by johngayton Written Jun 13, 2012

When I first arrived in Milan (by bus from Lenate airport) I found the street where my hotel was with no problems but being me given the 50/50 choice of going left or right I of course chose the wrong direction. Having ascertained that the building numbers were going away from where I needed to be I retraced my path and popped into this bar to ask directions.

The guy behind the bar was perfectly happy to point me in the requisite direction and indicated walking with his fingers - "Two minutes!"

On my second visit, having arrived by train from Bergamo, I'd arrived at the same hotel about lunchtime (where I'd intended just to drop my bag off and check-in later but it turned out my room was ready - see hotel tip). Being a bit peckish (and thirsty) I thought I might as well drop into this place for lunch - sort of a return of the favour for giving me my original directions.

OK from the signage this is obviously a no-frills sort of fast-food place but it seemed to be a bit of a locals' favourite judging by the general buzz of conversation and the greetings and ciao's accorded the staff by the other customers. So pizza and beer were duly ordered. Service was friendly and swift, the pizza was good, the beer cold and finishing with a coffee brought my total bill to about 14 Euros.

Favorite Dish: I had the eponymous Pizza New York which was pretty much perfect - good crispy crust, slightly singed (as it should be!) with a generous topping of cheese, tomato, mushrooms, smoked sausage, just a hint of chilli bite and a sprinkle of oregano.

Not haute cuisine but exactly what I was after for a working lunch - the work being to line the stomach for a relentless afternoon of beer tasting!

• Trains

• kimberly13's Profile Photo

Samarcanda: Best food, pizza and desert!

by kimberly13 Written May 10, 2012

A hole in the wall restaurant attached to a corner store. A few minutes walk from the Holiday Inn express in Malpensa, Milan, Italy. Walking over the cobblestone deserted street, I couldn't get there fast enough! Had the most delicious pasta and desert one night desert was Figs drenched in a zabaione sauce...omgggg! the most delicious food to ever touch my taste buds! Second night I had a delicious pizza from a very large selection and the same desert.....great wine too! a MUST go to restaurant!!!! Casual attire.

Favorite Dish: Crystalized figs in zabaione sauce.

• Wine Tasting

Terraferma Ristorante: Ristorante Cucina Mediterranea - Pizzeria

by BLewJay Written Sep 16, 2011

After returning from Vicenza, we checked into the Hilton to spend out last night in Milano. As we've done in the past, we went up to the Executive Lounge to chill for a bit and relax after a day of running around. We were also very hungry and "happy hour" was just about over, so we asked the person running the lounge for a recommendation. He told us about Terraferma, good food, nearby and open until 1:00 a.m. Off we went to check out this place.

Favorite Dish: When we arrived, the place was not crowded and we were immediately seated. Our "cameriere" didn't seemed to pleased but too bad, we were hungry and ordered our meal...in Italian of course!!! I think this pleased our waiter very much and he became more engaging. For our appetizer, we ordered Soute di Gamberi. For dinner, we split our entrees; Risotto Salsiccia (risotto with sausage) and Scialatelli (pasta tossed in a spicy tomato sauce). To finish off the evening, we ordered due Caffe Correto (expresso coffee with a shot of amaretto).

Juicebar: Bevi 100% Naturale

by BLewJay Written Sep 16, 2011

On our 2nd full day in Milano, we got up early, worked out at the gym, eat breakfast and then headed out again to explore the city. We went back down to the Piazza di Duomo and took in the history and beauty of the area. It was another hot day in the city, so we walked into La Rinascente (an Italian retailer operating upscale department stores in the area of clothing, household and beauty products), went up to the top floor and had something to drink. This is a huge department store with many fashion labels under one roof. One stop shopping for sure.

Favorite Dish: Top floor with a view of the Duomo, we ordered an Energizzante Super Juice Cocktail (apple, fresh squeezed orange juice, strawberry, banana and energy boost).

Ciccio Pasticcio: Dinner on the canal

by BLewJay Written Sep 16, 2011

As our first day in Milano was coming to an end, we decided to head out to dinner. As was our custom, we asked the concierge for his recommendation. He mentioned that we should walk around the Navigli District, check out the menus and see what we like. Very good idea, so we hopped on the metro and headed out.

Once we got to Navigli, we just started walking...nice, very nice. Lots of people, music, clubs, bars, restaurants and of course the canals...happened to walk across a small bridge and found Ciccio Pasticcio. Restaurant is divided into three seating areas, so we decided to dine on the canal. Very romantic for sure.

Favorite Dish: For our appetizer, we shared Bruschetta (pane alla griglia con pomodori, origano basilico, olio extravergine d'oliva). For dinner, LJ had A Tiella (padellata di gamberetti e funghi porcini saltati al brandy), while I had Spiedini di Carni (miste in fonduta di provola affumicata servito con patate rosmarinate).

Amorino Milano: Yummy...Gelato al Naturale

by BLewJay Updated Sep 15, 2011

After finishing dinner at The Break Time Cafe, we decided to walk around Brera and take in the ambience. As luck would have it, we stumbled upon a gelato shop called Amorino. Little did we know that this was one of the best gelato stores in Milano. They use high quality natural ingredients and provide a cozy atmosphere so that you can enjoy your gelato.

Favorite Dish: I had an Amarena Cherry Gelato while LJ had a Noccialone and Stracciatella Gelato

Break Time Cafe: Simple yet delicious

by BLewJay Written Sep 14, 2011

Since we had received an awesome restaurant recommendation from the concierge our 1st night in Milano, we decided to ask for another one. He mentioned walking around the Brera District and looking at the different menu selections available, then decide what we would like to eat. A very good idea indeed!!!

This area is located in the historical core of Milano and houses the Brera Academy of Fine Arts as well as the Brera Art Gallery...perfect for an artists' neighborhood and a place of bohemian atmosphere...which lent itself to us finding a nice place to eat.

We took the metro to the Brera area and with our trusty map, set out on finding a place to eat. As we walked through the neighborhood, we noticed it was rather quiet. Hmm...the Italians must still be on holiday...but no sooner did we turn a corner when it seemed like we were in the middle of a carinval. Lots of people, lively atmosphere, food, drink and lots of vendors.

We walked amongst all of this, looking at the menus and soaking up the moment. We just happened to stop at the Break Time Cafe because of the classic "pizzeria tablecloths and "al fresco" dining. A great choice for sure .

Favorite Dish: For our appetizer, we had Antipasto Della Casa (mussels as well as smoked fish). For dinner, we shared a Prosciutto Parma Pizza. To help us wash this delicious meal down, we also had Menebrea 150° Anniversario Ambrata...molto delizioso!!!

• BurgerQueen's Profile Photo

Cocopazzo: Centrally located and incredibly not expensive

by BurgerQueen Updated Sep 12, 2011

We stopped at the Cocopazzo restaurant by chance, being in Milan very city centre and very hungry. We were expecting an expensive and touristic place, but we were delighted to discover a well kept dining room (despite the poor entrance) and a very nice cuisine. Being in a hurry we had pizzas, and they were really good! Avoid sweets, they are not home-made.

Milan Hotels

Latest: Mar 13, 2014
Hotel Villa Malpensa
Latest: Mar 20, 2014

Instant Answers: Milan

Comments

Milan Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Milan locals.
Map of Milan