Places to eat in Milan

by MM212

Most Viewed Restaurants in Milan

Vyta: Café in Stazione Centrale

by ettiewyn Written Aug 20, 2012

Vyta is a café in the entrance area of Stazione Centrale, at the foot of the great staircase to the platforms. It is a fast-food kind of place, you order at a counter and then take your coffee or whatever you ordered with you. My mom loved their espresso and we were surprised that it was only 1,50€ - I think that is very cheap considering the location. I loved their orange juice which was freshly squeezed.
    They also sell sandwiches and bakery goods.

It is wonderful to sit here and enjoy the views of the magnificent entrance hall of the train station, and we loved our two stops here, when we had a little break before taking the train Lugano, and to Stresa one day later.

Vyta is a small chain and they also have cafés in the train stations of Rome, Naples and Torino.

• tpal's Profile Photo

Marino alla Scalo Cafe: High Style Milanese Cafe

by tpal Written Jan 17, 2005

Teatro alla Scala was closed for renovations when we were in Milan so we did the next best thing...we had lunch at the la Scala cafe. Actually it is the Marino alla Scala cafe and it is located across from the opera house at 5 Piazza della Scala. This very much "today" cafe couldn't be more in counterpoint to its 18th century neighbor. Very contemporary and very much in step with the its young professional Milanese clientele. The women were stylish and beautiful and the men were...stylish and beautiful!

The decor was sparse and clean, featuring italian furnishings and accessories. The back wall was covered with a multiple video screen which displayed non-stop runway fashion shows. The washroom was downstairs but definitely worth a trip. We ate at the bar, having insalata misto, antipasti and aqua minerale con gas. We were shocked when the bill was only 14 euro. We felt like locals...sort of.

Cafe and patrons on dispaly

Il Campanile: Pizza close to the Duomo

by ettiewyn Updated Aug 20, 2012

Il Campanile is a pizza restaurant in the Duomo area, close to Piazza Mercanti. As most restaurants in this area are over the top expensive, we were happy to find this smaller restaurant that did not look as "touristy", but more down to earth. We had a table on the first floor in a pretty room, and ordered two vegetarian pizzas without cheese. Unfortunately this was not successful and we got them with cheese, although I had learned the Italian phrases by heart, but I am not sure if the waiter understood me wrong or I made my order not in the right way, or if they just didn't want to comply with our wish. We therefore only ate very little and rather stuck to our drinks (coke and coffee).

Apart from this, I liked the restaurant because it is a quite, little place away from the large crowds, and service was friendly. We paid 30€ for two pizzas, a coke, a coffee and coperto, which is not too bad considering the location in the Duomo area. The restaurant also sells different kind of snacks and sweet things. I think it is a good alternative to all the large restaurants on Via Mercanti!

• tpal's Profile Photo

Cafe La Trieannle di Milano: Off The Beaten Track Designers Joy

by tpal Updated Jan 20, 2005

This is probably not a cafe that you will likely make a special trip to seek out but if you do by chance decide to visit the Trienneale di Milano be sure you stop for a cappuccino. What makes this place unique is the manner in which it is furnished. Every table and chair in the cafe is different and is a classic piece of contemporary furniture. It may not mean much to most people but I was impressed to able to play musical chairs on designs by Harry Bertoia, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Alvar Aalto, Charles Eames and Philippe Starck. BTW the red object on the long divider is called a Boby designed by Joe Columbo. It was on display here and is part of the permanent collection of the MOMA. It is typically used to store art supplies. Carol and I each owned one before we even met. Talk about kismet!!!

Cafe and showroom.

• leics's Profile Photo

Al Vesuvio: Eat with the railway people!

by leics Updated Apr 4, 2011

I was desperately seeking somewhere near my hotel (near Milan Centrale). Not a vast amount of choice, to be honest.

But I came across this place and decided it would do. Actually, it was very good indeed.

Chinese-run, serving 'proper' Italian food (pizza, pasta, grilled meats etc etc), and full of Trenitalia employees having a meal before (I assume) going on duty. They were very obviously regulars, as there was much laughing and teasing and joking with the staff. Lots of other locals were eating there too.

I assume that no Italian would eat at a rubbish place, so I guess the dishes I didn't try are just as good as the pizza Ortolana (vegetarian, with grilled vegetables and cheese) that I chose. Huge, and very tasty indeed.

I had a 'birra media' (Peroni, on tap) too . And the total cost was around 8 euro.....pretty good, imo.

They do sushi as well, I believe.

It's not a fancy place; small 2-person tables are set in rows of 3, so you may well share your table with a local or several. But that's fine.

Well worth seeking out if you are in the Stazione Centrale area.

Favorite Dish: Where else can you share your meal with a load of Trenitalia employees? :-)

Pizza Ortolana Al Vesuvio exterior Info notice
    • Seniors
    • Singles

• icunme's Profile Photo

Eros Ramazotti's favorite breakfast cafe

by icunme Written Feb 10, 2006

You can't be in Italy long and not hear the voice of Eros Ramazotti - you don't even have to be in Italy to hear him - he has been featured with Andrea Bocelli also. Chances are good that you might see him around breakfast time (10 or 11 a.m.) in the Milano cafe/bar right at the corner of Corso Garibaldi and Via Palermo - great coffee, of couse, and the best hot chocolate.

• Music

Café Plaza

by MalenaN Written Mar 13, 2009

After I had left my bag at the hotel I went out to look for a place nearby where I could have dinner. The first one I came to was Café Plaza, near Piazzale Baracca. There were already a lot of people there, many of them tourists. I ordered a vegetarian pizza, which was okay, and a glass of wine with very little to drink in it. Milan is expensive and especially now with the Swedish crown losing in value against the Euro it was an expensive dinner. The pizza was 9 Euro and the glass of wine 7 Euro (February 2009). On the menu I saw a small draft beer was 6 Euro and a large (0,5 litres) was 8 Euro. Other things on the menu was salads, pastas, pizzas, cocktails, drinks and pastries.

Vegetarian pizza and a glass of wine

• cooltrudy's Profile Photo

L'Angolo d'Abruzzo: A typical italian restourant in the heart of Milan

by cooltrudy Updated Apr 24, 2005

it is a little restaurant with a typical noise italian ambience ! if you want to eat there don't forget to book !
    the food is characteristic of Abruzzo, a country in center of italy, where you can eat delicious meals, cheeses and hams.
    the most important book about restaurants (gambero rosso and michelin) suggest L'Angolo d'Abruzzo as one of the best in Milan !
    if lady and the tramp were real maybe they could eat there !

Favorite Dish: i suggest "antipasto misto" (a dish of italian hams and cheese) that it is really big and quite economic!
    all kind of pastas are great !
    the characteristic food of this restaurant are "arrosticini" (grill meal in a steak) and "scarmorza alla griglia" (italian cheese on the grill).

• Business Travel

• Calcio's Profile Photo

Food and drinks before the game

by Calcio Written Nov 22, 2004

Around the San Siro there are a lot of possibilities to eat and drink. It starts when you get off the metro at Piazza Lotto, where you immediately will find a McDonalds. Then, when you take the 15 minutes walk to the stadium you’ll find a lot of wagons where you can buy sandwiches, hamburgers, beers and a lot more. A sandwich cost around 2-4 euro, a beer around 2 euro. At some high-risk games all beer are non-alcohol.
    Outside the Curva Sud you’ll find some smaller restaurants, and outside the Curva Nord you’ll instead find the “official” supporter-bar, where both Inter- and Milan-supporters meets before the game.
    Also inside the stadium you can buy snacks, water, coca-cola, chocholat and much more. But there it’s much more expensive.

After the game, I suggest that you take the metro to the Brera-area, where you’ll find a lot of bars. For discos you’ll probably find what you’re looking for at Corso Como, and for another nice bar-area you should go to Navigli, the river-area.

Aperol Cafeteria Gelateria

by MalenaN Written Mar 15, 2009

It is not always easy to find a nice place to eat in when you are in a new town. I had been walking around the whole day and had to eat dinner on my way back to the hotel. I stopped at one of the first places I saw, even if it wasn’t the kind of place I was looking for, but I was hungry. At least I could sit outside (under a heater) and watch people walk by.
    I ordered a beer (medium size). It tasted very week, almost like it was mixed with water. And I ordered a plate of pasta with pesto. The pasta was good, but the portion too small and I would have appreciated some slices of tomatoes on the plate as well. The beer was 7 Euro and the pasta was 10 Euro (February 2009).
    On the menu you can find pasta, pizza, salad, cakes, ice cream etc.
    What was annoying was that the waiter was too ”friendly”, like putting his hand on my back and his face just a few centimetres away from my face when bringing the food (he did not behave the same with the couple sitting at another table). It was just too much.

The pasta was good

Cova

by MalenaN Written Mar 20, 2009

I walked past Cova and thought it looked like a nice café with a long tradition. And it has, it was founded in 1817 and was then situated next to La Scala. The café was badly damaged by bombs in 1943, so in 1950 it opened up at its present location in Via Monte Napoleone. If you sit down at one of the tables you will be served by a waiter in white shirt. Cova is supposed to have a lot of good cakes and chocolates, but I probably chose the wrong thing from the menu. I wanted to have a hot chocolate at the moment. It was the most expensive hot chocolate with whipped cream I have ever had, but far from the best one. Actually I had expected something bigger with thicker chocolate than I got. I think it was powder chocolate! I had expected more from a café like this, but if I had ordered something else it might have been very good.
    The hot chocolate was 10 Euro (February 2009).

Hot chocolate at Cova

Dosso 18: Pleasant café close to Santa Maria Delle Grazie

by ettiewyn Updated Aug 20, 2012

After we had visited The Last Supper and Santa Maria Delle Grazie, we really needed a coffee break, so we went to the nearest café we could find, which was Dosso 18. I am sorry I just call it a café, I am sure there is another term for it, but I have not yet got through all the different Italian terms for different kinds of localities!

Dosso 18 offers coffees and cold drinks, and at lunch time also paninis and other sandwiches and snacks - unfortunately we were too early for that. I ordered a coke and my mom an espresso, she reported that it was fantastic and got a second one because she liked it so much. The espresso was only 1,50€, which was also a good price.

The café was mainly visited by Italians, and service was very friendly. The location is nice because it is in a quiet and beautiful street, perfect for a break during a day of sightseeing, and it is a plus that it is so close to Santa Maria Delle Grazie. We were glad we had found this!

Bar della Scala: A great alternative for a break close to the Scala

by ettiewyn Written Aug 18, 2012

Before visiting the museum at the Teatro alla Scala, we needed a break and something to drink, and therefore were looking for a café. We checked the café/restaurant that is located in the same building as the opera, but were appalled by the prices and therefore went searching for an alternative. The Bar della Scala is only one block away and we decided to go there, and liked it very much.

It was quite busy there, but there were almost no tourists, most people seemed to be Italians working in the area. Service was still very quick and also very friendly. My mom liked the Espresso very much and the price was ok (although I cannot remember the exact amount), I just had a coke to refresh myself as usual. You can also have a drink at the bar without sitting down, which might be cheaper.
    We chose to sit inside to take advantage of the fan, but there is also seating outside as you can see in the picture.

If you are looking for a place to sit and have a drink close to the Scala and are looking for a more relaxed and authentic experience, I can only recommend this place!

Favorite Dish: We had nothing to eat, so I cannot commend on the food.

California Bakery - I'l Forno d'America

by MalenaN Written Mar 20, 2009

There is a California Bakery on Piazza Eustorgia and it looked very nice and so did the lunch menu. I sat down outside and ordered a hamburger with fries and salad. The hamburger was very raw so I asked to have it a bit more well done (I don’t mind a little red, but not raw). It came back perfect. It all tasted very good and it was 14.50 Euro (February 2009). Added to the bill was a charge of 2 Euro for table service. I didn’t like that as I think it is up to me how much I want to leave as a tip.
    Other things on the menu are bagels (sounded to be very yummy), sandwiches, salads, cakes, smothies, brunch etc.

Hamburger at California Bakery

• leics's Profile Photo

Calimero: A restorative beer...and clean toilets.

by leics Written Mar 20, 2011

I came across this place when I was desperate for both some liquid intake (my usual mid-wandering break for espresso and a birra piccola) and for a toilet.

It looked pleasant, if rather empty, so I went in.

There is an covered outside part (the empty bit...it was cold) and a couple of enclosed rooms.

Service was pleasant, the espresso was good, the beer also good (though from a bottle rather than from a cask). Quite a lot of local workers (business suits etc) started arriving for their lunch whilst I was there, which must be a good sign.

Most importantly, they have a clean and pleasant toilet (downstairs, but I noted there was a stairlift for disabled customers, which is very good indeed).

Open from 0930, food served from 1130 -2330.

Interior

Latest: Jun 27, 2014
Mercure Milano Centro
Latest: Jun 10, 2014

Instant Answers: Milan

Comments

Milan Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Milan locals.
Map of Milan