Pick Pockets, Milan

by picknick
  • smihjazi's Profile Photo

Milan Central Station Mafia

by smihjazi Written Jul 19, 2012

I was travelling with my Wife on 12th July 2012 to Tremezzo by taking the Train from Milan Central Station to San Giovani,the Train Schedule was at 15.10,but was late for 15 minutes,our Wagon was No. 9 at the tail of the Train,the Platform was full of people,and We had to run for catching the Train ,when we just step up the Wagon a Girl holed my Logges for helping us( few Seconds),where the Train moved I told my Wife,that somrbody stolen my Wallet,and she checked her handbag,and also didn`t find her Wallet,it was happened within few seconds....its realy a Mafia

• pickpockets in Milan

by jannet Written Jul 8, 2012

Perhaps it not news that pickpockets in Milan are a serious risk. I have travelled all through Europe and heard warnings in other cities, but with reasonable care never had a problem. In Milan, my wallet was stolen out of my closed purse heading to the subway. While it was reported to the police, the attitude of the police is "this is what happens in Milan." Other victims were at the police station having their passports stolen and passengers on the train had their luggage stolen. Considering that Milan relies on their tourist shopping industry, they need to protect their tourists. The response I received reflected little concern. I left Milan believing that theft of tourists is how a certain population earns their living and this is quite fine with the city of Milan. I will never return to that city and would recommend any one having the choice to go to any other European city, stay away from Milan!!!!

• Women's Travel
    • Luxury Travel

• Toscoman's Profile Photo

Pickpockets - better safe than sorry

by Toscoman Written May 15, 2011

Mugging is rare in Italy but pickpockets are common and extremely skilled, especially in Naples, Rome and Milan, with Florence close behind. Organise your valuables so that pickpockets can't get at them because there's little or nothing you can do to avoid being a target. Money, credit cards and passport are relatively easy to store securely in a money pouch under your clothes. Cameras are much more difficult - basically don't put your camera down where you can't see it and don't put it in a pack that can be cut open. There's a very useful article on anti-pickpocket strategems here: http://www.bella-toscana.com/pickpocketsinitaly.htm and a bit more in relation to Naples here: http://www.naples-napoli.com/pickpocketsinnaples.htm

• JoeRizal's Profile Photo

Pick Pockets @ Metro Station

by JoeRizal Written Mar 7, 2011

I read about this before I went to Milan (in Feb 2011) - all the warnings about this are true! I witnessed 2 pick pockets in my first 2 days in Milan - the first incident happened in Milano Centrale Station and the 2nd one happened in Cairolli Metro.

In Milano Centrale - it was done by 2 young girls. They did so fast and the moment we noticed it, they left the metro just in time before the metro door closed and by then it was too late.

So guys, be careful in Milan.

• Rixie's Profile Photo

Guard Your Purse/Wallet

by Rixie Updated Jan 28, 2011

The Metro is a great way to get around Milan, but try to avoid traveling on it during commute hours. When half of Milan is crammed into the cars like sardines, it's very easy for pickpockets to ply their trade. I know from experience, because my husband had his wallet lifted near Cairoli on the red line during the morning rush.

Men: Carry your wallet in your front pocket, or (better still) zipped into the inside pocket of your jacket. My husband had been doing that, but on that morning, out of habit, he had put his wallet into his back pocket. It didn't stay there for long!

Women: Keep your purse zipped, wear the strap crossed over your body, and keep your hand on it at all times.

Looking back, I think I know exactly who the pickpocket was: an old man who was sharing our pole on the Metro train. He was in a long overcoat and carried a small black cloth shopping bag. I actually had my eye on him because I thought he was suspicious: he was leaning heavily into my arm when there was no reason to do so - the train wasn't going around a corner and was traveling at a steady speed. He was probably leaning over to lift my husband's wallet and drop it into his shopping bag. Such an easy thing to do - steal a wallet and get off at the next stop. Get on another train and repeat.

It was a total drag, spending hours on the phone to put a stop on our credit card accounts and having to come up with another way to pay our hotel bill.

The only good thing about the whole experience was the police officer we spoke to at the station near the Duomo. He was so nice to us, apologizing on behalf of the city and saying that he hoped it wouldn't ruin our trip. He told us, when I asked, that it was helpful to file an official report because pickpockets are often interested only in cash, so there's a chance you could recover your wallet and the rest of the contents.

• Singles
    • Seniors
    • Women's Travel

• FRED318's Profile Photo

Milano OK but be smart *****

by FRED318 Written Aug 20, 2010

Milan o Nice city 2 days is enough ! I found that you should beware of the pick pockets they are creative ! watch your luggage if you are in the train station also there are many beggars on the streets.....When in restaurants check your charges for some reason they like to rip tourists off ********

• milan to geneve train

by briantracey Written Jan 17, 2010

just returned from a trip milan to geneve by rail, and their ws a sad occurance on the train two japanese women were helped on the train with their cases by two eastern european men, their seats were some way away from their cases, after stresa they went to get something from their bags and they were gone unfortunately they had left money passports the lot in thier bags, as stresa was the first stop it is clear what has happened, the train condutors were no use, and this could be a regular occurance, as seat tickets can force you to sit away from luggage storage areas, as thier are only a limited amount of stops it would be wise to check on your bags prior to each stop or have them in vision if you can.

brian tracey scotland

• STOP LYING!!

by MissLorenita Written Jan 15, 2008

I've travelled several times to some of the biggest city in the world New york, Tokyo, London, etc and none of this places have pickpocketing issues like Italy!! So all of you that write that "like in all other major cities pickpocketing is a problem". It's really not!! Milan and Firenze is far worst!! Don't defend this issue by saying that it's the same everywhere else. There are serious problems in the Italian society that allow this. And don't say it's just gypsies that does this.

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

Beware of pickpockets

by muratkorman Written Oct 8, 2007

Milan is a crowded city with busy streets. Especially on touristic or shopping areas, there will be lots of people. Always be careful about pickpockets. When you realize that your phone, wallet or bag is missing, it is too late. Try to keep your valuable things safe by carrying them in a proper way.

• fonden's Profile Photo

Beware of Pickpockets!

by fonden Updated Apr 19, 2007

One of our cameras got stolen during our stay in Milan. I don't think that this town is worse than any other but this was my first time ever being robed. I guess I've been lucky. But it bothers me that I don't have any photos from our stay in Milan! We think we lost the camera around the grand Train station.

• Flem2002's Profile Photo

Beware the pick pockets with cardboard

by Flem2002 Written May 23, 2006

Around the Stazzione Cadorna (rail station) we were hassled by a couple of persistant female beggars carrying cardboard signs. Whilst holding the cardboard at an angle and jabbering away in Italian, they then used a free hand to try and pick pocket my sister. Fortunately they didn't get anything this time but it was quite scary.

Make sure your purses and wallets are in inside pockets, or zipped up. Hopefully our experience is not a common occurance.

• feag's Profile Photo

just be aware..

by feag Written Apr 7, 2006

As in most cities, just be aware of pick pockets, the area around the cathedral gets busy and crowded and its easy for them to get near to you...

just be carefull and keep your wits about you!

Also dont stop and take one of the 'free' wrist friendship bands off the people who approach you - they are never free & then they keep you talking or worse...

• Castles and Palaces

• ouate12's Profile Photo

Central Station bus thiefs

by ouate12 Written Nov 23, 2005

Watch out when you arrive from the airport by bus to the central station. Thiefs are waiting for you to get off the coach especially if you are carrying a bag that contains a laptop and as you collect your baggage from beneath the coach. One person will approach you and perhaps ask directions in Italian to distract you whilst his accomplice will move pass and lift your bag. This happened to me and bag and guy was gone in 3 seconds. I reported to the Police and this is a well known trick at this location. Beware..................

• Business Travel

• Be on guard at all times

by klubkidd80 Written Nov 13, 2005

The Central Station and the Piazza del Duomo are #1 prime locations where you will be targeted. Keep an eye on your possessions at all times. Don't walk around staring at all the lovely structures that you are oblivious to your purses, pockets, cameras or backpacks. I did notice a lot of suspicious looking men that would walk circles around you and make it look like they themselves were lost or confused. My speaking Italian gave them the indication that I was not an easy target as I would be able to describe them to the police need be...Just be on the lookout. Don't be flashy with your belongings and don't walk with your head in the clouds!

• Young girls pickockets

by picknick Written Dec 10, 2004

At the main entrace of Castello Sforzesco, I was approached by a young girl holding a cardboard with one hand, standing real close to me and trying to show or tell me something in italian. Watch out for her other hand, hidden beneath the cardboard out of sight, in my pocket!

I managed to stepped away in time and shouted at her, scaring her away.

• Castles and Palaces

Instant Answers: Milan

Comments

Other Warnings and Dangers in Milan