Cagli Travel Guide

Panoramic view from Casa Molleone
    by Charlotte121
    Private terrace with a view
    Entrance Romeo & Guillietta

Cagli Things to Do

Francesco di Giorgio Martini's Cagli Tower 1 more image

by deecat Updated Apr 14, 2008

Today the Torrione is the home of the ContemporarySculpture Centre!

I knew when we arrived at CAGLI that it was a town known for craftwork in wrought iron. I also knew that it had as its landmark, an elliptical defense tower built for the Montefeltro dukes by Francesco di Giorgio Martinini, the famed Quattrocento military architect. The fortress was destroyed by Guidobaldo, the son of the Duke Federico, but this tower survived..

The Torrione was built into the City Medieval Wall. (I learned that a "semi-circular line of white stone in the present-day street pavement indicates the position of the wall which contained the moat until the end of the 18th Century and which fed the City water supply".

The rooms are "spartan". There are 5 gun-embrasures with smoke holes (these are chimneys which were used to draw away the gun smoke).

Amazingly, the oval room has a shaft where water can be drawn from the cistern six metres below. Most interestingly, beneath the 1st floor, there are 2 semicircular vaulted rooms, and from one of them, one can reach the long underground rescue passage with its secret route. The route cuts up through the hillside and into the barrack square of the Fortress above it!

The second floor room is elliptical and only has two narrow slits. A spiral staircase (built into the wall) leads to a tiny room where the draw bridge was raised (with the use of winches).

Even though I knew it was a landmark, when it appeared before me, I was taken back.

It's a dramatic oval torrione (tower) that is located to the west of the Piazza Matteotti, and it is all that still remains of the citadel that Duke Federico da Montefeltro had built at the end of the 15th century.

You have to realize that CAGLI is not a tourist town.

Cagli's Duomo

by deecat Updated Apr 14, 2008

St. Mary's of the Assumption Basilica Cathedral (Duomo) was under a massive renovation because of the September 27, 1997, earthquake which caused severe structural damage. It took seven years to correct that damage. So, in April of 2004, mass was celebrated after a seven year absence.

The biggest problem for the church was the fact that the brick dome had separated from the wall. Even though the dome did not fall, it was quite dangerous; thus, the church had to close.

During those seven years, the congregation had to go to Mass at other nearby Catholic churches (there are nine located in Cagli).

The Duomo is a massive building. It literally forms one corner of the popular town piazza, directly in the center of town.

I did not go inside the Cathedral, but I was told about the earthquake and the repair and the heartache that it caused by an English-speaking local. I think that when you travel independently, you learn so much more about the towns. This is just one example; it seems so much more wonderful when you gain your information from those who have lived it.

• Religious Travel

by deecat Updated Apr 14, 2008

I read that Cagli had a "steely medieval town hall" which had been another of Duke Federico's palaces (1463). What I did not know was that this structure was going through a major renovation. Wow! What was going on and had already gone on was fabulous.

It was called Palazzo Grande, and it faces onto the main Piazza. You can see from the photograph I took that there is a large balcony and the statue of the Madonna and Child (that was carved in Venice out of Istrian stone) which stands at the center of the main facade. Note that above the balcony is a clock.

To the right of the entrance are the ancient units of measure. The Cagli coat-of-arms can be seen at the center of the hip-vaulted ceiling in the entrance vestibule. There are symbols carved on the 15th Century stone portal, and beneath it are the carvings of the Duke of Montefeltro. (these are reminiscent of what can be seen in the Ducal Palace at Urbino).

The courtyard leads to the Palace of the Podesta which houses the Archaeological Museum and Museum of the Via Flaminia.

Photographs:

One: Picture of Cagli Town Hall that used to be Duke Federico's Palace.

Two: Picture of workman busy renovating the inside.

Three: Picture of a piece of art in the courtyard toward the back of the building. (I just love this iron sculpture!)

Four: Picture of pillars and arches inside (this portion has been renovated and has lovely shops in it.)

Five: Picture of a bakery/deli in the renovated portion. I also took this photo because the man in the jacket has CHICAGO emblazoned on the jacket. He was through and through Italian, but liked the look of his jacket, unaware of the significance, especially to us.

Both Allan and I really enjoyed the time (about 3 hours) that we spent in Cagli.

Cagli Hotels

Cagli Restaurants

Outside of Gelateria Artigianale 2 more images

by deecat Updated Nov 21, 2006

As Allan and I were walking around Cagli, we had a "Gelato Attack".
    Fortunately, we came across the Gelateria Artigianale, which looked really inviting.

There are two rooms. The first one has lots of special gifts that have to do with food products and gifts for the home. The second room is for sitting down to eat. We ordered cups of Gelato (two scoops each), and as is often the case in Italy, the bottom of a cone is place on top of the dish of gelato. It comes in handy for scooping the ice cream (in addition to the spoon that is provided).

Favorite Dish: Allan ordered Mint Chocolate and Chocolate. I ordered Strawberry and one with nuts in it.. They were quite creamy and most delicious.

The setting added to the flavor of the gelato. It almost seemed like we were in a chalet with the style of windows and the dark wooden beams.

The two ladies who helped us were quite efficient and most friendly.

If ever in the small Le March town called Cagli, be sure to have a gelato at Gelateria Artigianale.

Cagli Shopping

The jacket is in the window of Lilliput in Cagli

by deecat Written Nov 2, 2006

As we were perusing Cagli, we were also window shopping for something for our grand daughter, Sabrina Dee. I knew that she needed a new winter coat, so I had my eyes open. When we spotted a darling children's shop called Lilliput we naturally stopped to have a look in the window. Right there in the window was the perfect winter jacket.

First off, it was a wine color, which our daughter Jill loves and had in her wedding. It had of all things a little bit of orange trim. Now, that might sound weird, but it really worked. The jacket had the gloves that matched on a string as you've, no doubt, often seen with children's jackets.

We walked inside and asked about a 18-24 month size. The young girl could speak some English and was quite helpful. They had the jacket in a 23 months! It also had leggings that matched, but we decided not to get them.

What to buy: The Jacket was just perfect and the cost was 32 Euro. The quality of the jacket was excellent. The material is soft yet sturdy.

It fits Sabrina Dee perfectly and she really looks quite cute in it. They had purchased her a coat and leggings at Old Navy. It is quite darling, but Sabrina hates it because it is too heavy and too puffy. It will be grand for the cold winter in Chicago and to play in the snow, but until then, our darling Bella Bambino will wear her jacket from Lilliput in Cagli, Italy!

• Seniors

Cagli Favorites

Fountain in Center of main piazza of Cagli 3 more images

by deecat Updated Nov 2, 2006

Favorite thing: Once again, Allan and I did what we enjoy most: we wandered the streets of CAGLI.

The first photograph features the TRAVERTINE STONE FOUNTAIN which is located in the center of the main piazza. It has a multi-foiled basin. Literature states that it was built in 1736 by Giovanni Fabbri to a design by Anton Francesco Berardi. I only know that it was rugged and ancient looking, and I enjoyed it.

The second photograph came about when we saw a CAT inside the yard of a private home, and I always like to take photos of cats. The yard was really a beautiful garden. Look carefully, and you can see the yellow and white cat!

The third photograph was taken simply because I loved the architectural features of this structure.

Fondest memory: The fourth photograph was taken as we were leaving CAGLI, walking along a typically narrow lane that lead to the photographed portal. I find these simple scenes to be the most powerful.j

Instant Answers: Cagli

Comments

Cagli Travel Guide
Map of Cagli