Porto Recanati Things to Do

borgo marinaro I

Most Recent Things to Do in Porto Recanati

borgo marinaro

borgo marinaro I

Porto Recanati is booming... and the evidence is the recent construction of a complex of flats just off the main avenue - corso matteotti. it's a beautiful testeful complex, built around a square, with a nice garden and plenty of flowers... restaurants and bars are also being built. it's going to be the next happening place in town.

So far all flats have been sold and a new "borgo" is under construction, by the sea. Prices are sky-rocketing, of course. Still, in my opinion, the first one is the most beautiful - the second one, though near the sea - is on a stretch of beach that's not very scenic.

il colosseo

the colosseum

Not many years ago there was an architect who wanted to build a remarkable holiday complex... and chose Porto Recanati for it... he wanted it harmonius, so he made it circular... Well, something went wrong as the complex is a real eyesore.

Local people call it the "colosseum" in jest - and it's really one of the ugliest buildings I have ever seen in Italy. It's a must-see in a negative way... there's no worse to this

Castello Svevo

tower

The Castello Svevo owes its name to King Frederic II of Svevia, the lord of the land where the castle now stands. The year it was built is still unknown, some people say 1229 - others later. It had defensive purposes, especially against the Turks, that in the past used to ravage the coast.

The most interesting part of the castle is the quadrangular tower (the one with the clock) - but there is a second round one, which is much lower in height and which was built in a later date (1400).

The castle is used today as the setting to concerts and other cultural events - and bears the name of Arena Beniamino Gigli, the famous tenor from Recanati.

Piazza Brancondi

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 19, 2007

Piazza Brancondi is the main square in Porto Recanati... it's not a big one but a very lively one, especially in summer... it's where people meet, hang out and have delicious ice-creams. It's full of benches, so everyone is there... more or less. The square is also the place where the cinema is located.

At the centre of the square (see photo) there's an interesting and bizarre sculpture - it was made by a well-known local artist named Cecco Bonanotte.

Instant Answers: Porto Recanati

Comments

Porto Recanati Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Porto Recanati things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Porto Recanati sightseeing.

View all Porto Recanati hotels