Senigallia Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Senigallia

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

The old town

by toonsarah Written Jun 9, 2013

Favorite thing: Although most people probably come to Senigallia for the beaches, for me the old town had much more appeal, and I enjoyed poking around the old fortress, the Rocca Roveresca, wandering the quiet streets and eating in the little gem of a restaurant we discovered there. This part of the city makes a surprising contrast to the “seaside resort” atmosphere of the rest and really repays exploration. We were never here during the day, apart from to drive through on our way to explore more of the Marche’s wonderful countryside, but when we strolled around in the late afternoon / early evening sun the atmosphere was one of relaxation, with the streets full of people out for the traditional passeggiata: to meet friends, gossip and enjoy a gelato or aperitivo.

As in any old town or city, a photographer can have a wonderful time here looking for the interesting details of the architecture, capturing the evening light on an old church, or snapping candid shots of the people themselves.

The town dates back to the fourth century BC, and was the first Roman settlement on these shores. For a while it thrived, but suffered badly for its Ghibelline allegiance in the 13th century and went into decline. Some two hundred years later, however, it rose again, under the rule of the della Rovere family. Its port thrived, and around it grew up a town of considerable commercial importance. Today the local economy centres on tourism, but those tourists who spend all their time on the beach are missing a treat in the shape of the picturesque old streets at the heart of Senigallia. So even if you do come here mainly for the beach, consider dragging yourself away one day to follow in our footsteps and see what else this appealing town has to offer.

Corso II Guigno Piazza Roma Porta Lambertina
    • Architecture

• "After the boys of summer have gone..."

by MariaK Updated Sep 22, 2006

Favorite thing: I see this picture again and the old song of Don Henley comes to my mind

I like Senigallia in Autumn. I'm sure that in the Summer it must be more "interesting" and crowdy with a nighlife that many places would be jealous of. But I like i this time of the year. Tranquility.

For the record, for readers that were very young at the 80's to remember, for whoever cares anyway, the song starts with seagull's sounds, very "summery", and it goes like this...

Nobody on the road, nobody on the beach
    I feel it in the air, the summer's out of reach
    Empty lake, empty streets, the sun goes down alone
    I'm drivin' by your house, though I know you're not home

But I can see you - your brown skin shinin' in the sun
    You got your hair combed back, and your sunglasses on, baby
    And I can tell you, my love for you will still be strong
    After the boys of summer have gone

Fondest memory: *The relaxing view of this sandy beach, where very little people are around and most of them are children playing with the sand and the plastic chicco toys and slides that are left there.

*The pizza margharita. They make in all the places in Italy this kind of pizza but the best I ate was there. But that's another tip.

*The beach is huge. It was there as long as my eye could see (well this may be a bit of an exageration but, yes, its hugely long).

*It awakes my romantic part of self.

The view from our hotel.

Instant Answers: Senigallia

Comments

Senigallia Favorites

Reviews and photos of Senigallia favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Senigallia sightseeing.