Nemi Travel Guide

Strawberries again
    Strawberry farms

Nemi Things to Do

• Besides Corso

Steep paths climb the hill.Via del Corso may be in plain, but the other road climb up the hill straight up, as usual in many old villages in Italy. In ancient times, the villages were always built on top of hills for defensive purposes.

• The Village - 3

Another view of the village, there is also the lake on the bottom left.While the "modern" village is put on top of the volcano's edge, the ancient Roman village is thought to be buried under the valley where strawberries are cultivated now (first tip)Sorry for doubling pictures sometimes, or to publish similar views, but I love them...

• The village - 2

The village is sat on the volcano's edge, facing the lake. Small coloured buildings compose the urban landscape.This type of architecture is mostly common in Italy....

• The "Corso"

Remember when I talked about Via del Corso in Rome? Well, this is the Nemi's Corso. Not exactly the same. This is one of the few roads in plain here. This road is full with small shops selling original things here, food, clothes or furnitures.

• The monastery

Maybe the best pic I made here in Nemi.Close to the Nemi center there is a small monastery with a museum inside. This is the garden. Nothing mystic here anyway, just an attempt (succeded, I think) to make a nice picture.

• The lake

The lake as seen from the main Nemi square.That beautiful afternoon allowed me to make this marvellous pic, this is thanks the beauty of the landscape, not thanks to my abilities. Remember I'm a sunset maniac?

• The village

The village as seen from the opposite perspective.Nemi is "hanged" to the steep volcano border. It is consequently a small village, all the streets in Nemi are tiny and going up and down the hill. A good gym exercise

• my wife, as usual

An inevitable tribute to my wife.We caught a beautiful afternoon, warm and sunny. This picture has been made from the same balcony from where I took the picture in the previous tip.Definitely we've been very lucky with weather.

• Cats

Cats are characteristic of this region. In Rome there are thousands of them.There are some good pages in Virtualtourist showing cats. Maybe my favourite is from the Janchan's Rome page (I think it's a travelogue)

• Via (?!) Cavour

Via (?!) Cavour (Cavour road?).This is funny for me, when I find in small town roads that have the same name that other roads in Rome have,. Via Cavour in Rome is enormous!

• Flowers 'n' fruits

Fruits presented in a lovely manner to customers.Raspberries, strawberries and more are presented and served in any manner. I suggest the typical Strawberries served with lemon or cream.

• Strawberry fields

This is where strawberries are produced. You can also see two big buildings. Those are a museum where two roman ships, in a very good status, are kept. These ship has been found in the middle of the lake, sunken who knows for which reason.

Nemi Hotels

Nemi Restaurants

• by roma80 Written Feb 7, 2007

I lived in Nemi, Italy for about 3 years. And Spechio di Diana was the place that my husband and I went to the most. They have a bar downstairs that serves the BEST homemade gellato. And when you go upstairs there are two dining area's ; outside "open air" dinig, and inside. They are both great places to sit in the restaurant. But the outside dining has a view like no other. The food is to die for (just like the ice cream.) And this restaurant/bar has rooms to rent as well. They have specials all the time. Room, dinner for 2 , etc. around Valentine's Day and other holidays.

Believe me, if I had the money, I would go back there to live today... I miss that place.

Favorite Dish: Pizza Bianca...

• Festivals
    • Castles and Palaces

Instant Answers: Nemi

Comments

Nemi Travel Guide
Map of Nemi