Agliè Things to Do
The castle (1)
The original structure of the castle of Agliè dates back to the 12th century and is attributed to the counts of San Martino of Agliè. In 1642 Filippo di San Martino decided to transform this palace into a luxury mansion and commissioned its transformation to the architect Amedeo di Castellamonte. The works were personally directed by this architect and continued until 1657.
The building was enlarged and divided into two parallel wings, one to the north and one to the south, and connected by two galleries. The ball room, giving onto the gardens, was decorated by Giovanni Paolo Recchi with frescoes inspired by the life of Arduino d'Ivrea, king of Italy in 1002. The chapel of San Massimo, attributed to Giovanni di Castellamonte as well, still keeps its original structure and decorations.
The French-Piedmontese wars of the end of the century seriously damaged the castle. In 1764 the building became a property of the Savoy who entrusted Ignazio Birago from Borgaro, royal architect after Benedetto Alfieri, the complete restoration of the castle. In 1825 the king Carlo Felice made a third large architectural intervention, entrusting the works to Michele Borda from Saluzzo. The castle was modified in its interior and in the park, according to the new furnishing fashion. The “Tuscolana” room contains several archaeological finds from the Roman period gathered by Maria Cristina di Borbone, Carlo Felice's wife, discovered during the excavations of the ancient Tuscolo.
In 1849 Agliè was given to the dukes of Genoa and in 1939 it became a property of the State. In the 50s the Monuments and Fine Arts Office started some restorations works in the castle.Related to:
- Castles and Palaces