The church of San Graziano is centrally positioned in the old core of the town. In its origin it was the church of the Benedictine Abbey, which dates back to the end of the fifteenth century, whereas the Baroque facade was made by the Jesuits in 1720.
In its interiors the church preserves a couple of masterpieces; the high altar in marble and the altar-piece with the figure of the Virgin, painted by Bergognone (1489) who was the follower of Leonardo da Vinci.
The bell tower, however, belongs to the parish church of Santa Maria.
Piazza del Popolo, where the church of Santa Marta is situated, used to be the trading port and the seat of the town market.
The church dates back to 1592 and was build in an unusual style which looks more like a palace then the church. Inside the church containing a 16th century fresco of the Madonna, which was considered a miraculous image.
The small and very beautiful chapel, situated next to the church of St. Joseph, contains the Beolchi Ossuary. The ossuary was built in 1683 and commissioned by Bartolomeo Beolco. It has grating with the form of flowers and is in wrought iron, an extraordinary example of Lombard Baroque.
Palazzo Borromeo stands next o the church of Santissima Trinita. The palace is in pretty bad conditiones now but it is important as the part of St. Charles Borromeo heritage. The lintel above the portal is of particular interest, it is adorned with 1446 coat of arms of the family Borromeo, with two unicorns that are the symbol of courage under the word Humilitas.
Corso Cavour is the main street of the town centre, an splendid pedestrian precinct in which the main shopping area is located.
Right at the beginning of Corso there is Chiesa di SS Gioachino e Anna, completed in the first half of the 18th century. This church hasn't any particular historical or cultural importance except for the altar-piece, work of artists Giuseppe de Albertis.
Piazza del Popolo, once called Piazza del Mercato, is the real heart of Arona. The central part of the suqare is occupied by ancient building which has large Gothic portico with six arches. The building is incorrectly called Broletto or minicipal hall, actually, it is ancient Hall of Justice, located here by the Visconti Family between the 14th and 15th centuries. On the facade there are medallions depicting busts of famous members of the Sforza families.
Chiesa di San Giuseppe - St. Joseph - dates back to the 17th century, but it facade was reconstructed in the 20th century. The church is worth of attention because it contains a lot of wood handiwork created by Lombard carvers. The canvas on the altar depicting the Nativity, can be attributed to the Nuvolone school.
Via San Carlo is the main street in the high part of the town where major historic sights can be found. Chiesa di Santissima Trinita is actually divided in two parts, one is the Monastero della Visitazione, dedicated to the convent, and the other is Chiesa della SS Trinita, which is dedicated to the public.
The altar-piece above the altar depicts the Visit of the Virgin Mary to St. Elisabeth, work of Gaudenzio Palazzo.
Villa Ponti, which stands opposite to the convent Monastero della Visitazione, is the most elegant houses in the town. Nowadays it held the most prestigious art exibitions.
The Villa was built in the 18th century according to Bartolomeo Pertossi's wishes. As the plaque on the building states, Gian Giacomo Ponti (1878-1939) an electronics teacher who founded the telephone company Stipel in 1925 lived here.
The parrish church of Santa Maria is a building showing miscellanous styles. It was consacrated in 1488, but the inside was rebuilt in many parts in the 19th century. The Romanesque style bell tower dates back to the 12th century and is the oldest part of the church.
The 16th century masterpiece "Polittico", painted by the great painter Gaudenzio Ferrari, is a must see inside the church.
We took time out to rest from our drive around Lake Maggiore in the town of Arona and while there did a short walk around and found as usual things of interest.
The hanging bottles were an unusual way to store them so we recorded for posterity.
Icecream (Gelateria) is something we always keep an eye out for and Italy has some of the best we have every had.
Ivy covered buildings and water with mountains are always subjects for my camera and the boardwalk (no boards, it was cement) provided a nice place to sit in the shade and enjoy the view over the lake.
Just a good place to go for a walk, observe the life of locals, let your children play in a lively playground, look at the boats or relax on a bench while having a lunch.