Did you mean?Try your search again
This is not really a restaurant tip, it is more than that.
Slow Food is an international association, founded in Bra in 1986 by Carlo Petrini. It promotes food and wine culture, but also defends food and agricultural biodiversity worldwide.
It opposes the standardisation of taste, defends the need for consumer information, protects cultural identities tied to food and gastronomic traditions, safeguards foods and cultivation and processing techniques inherited from tradition and defend domestic and wild animal and vegetable species.
Slow Food boasts 83,000 members worldwide and offices (in order of creation) in Italy, Germany, Switzerland, the USA, France, Japan, and Great Britain.
In 2003 Slow Food created the Slow Food Foundation for Biodiversity, an independent non-profit entity with the mission to organize and fund projects that defend our world’s heritage of agricultural biodiversity and gastronomic traditions.
More on Slow Food on their web site.
Written Nov 21, 2005
On a site with 80% of native English speakers and the remaining 20% practicing English with more or less skills, I could not avoid to comment the name of the city (others would have done it, anyway !), even if, for Italians, that does not mean anything more than the name of a city.
Unique Suggestions: As everybody here knows, in English, bra stands for brassiere, a word that appeared in French in the 14th century for a woman's shirt in which was slipped on the arms, "bras" in French, hence the name.
In French, the name brassière is now used only for a baby's shirt.
English has borrowed it, but now, the word is mostly used in a shortened form to mean "an undergarment worn by woman to support the breast or give a desired contour to the bust" (Webster dictionary). I felt it would be interesting to know how different languages called this garment.
English, followed by Swedish use the word "bra", with the etymology given above.
In French, it is "soutien-gorge" (breast holder), which introduces the idea of holding the breast.
Italian do the same with "reggipetto" (breast holder) and more clearly with "reggiseno" (bosom holder).
Spanish keeps the idea of "holding" but with "sosten" (holder) does not say what it is holding ! But Spanish uses also the word "sujetador" (submitter) which contains the idea to bring under control, to overpower ! Wow !
Fun Alternatives: Several languages have borrowed the French word, most of the time shortened : "soutien" in Portuguese, "sutien" in Albanese and Rumanian, "σουτιεν" (soutiène) in Greek, "sutyen" in Turkish.
With "Büstenhalter", German too, holds the breast, but seems to use commonly the more discreet abbreviation "BH". Dutch has borrowed it under the latter form which has given "beha".
If I am correct, Icelandic, too, holds the breast with "brjóstahaldari".
I would not be surprised if the Polish "biustonosz" had the same meaning as well as "στηθόδεσμος" (stithodesmos) in Greek.
I have not been able to find the etymology of other words used in the following languages. Help, please !
"Grudnjak " in Serbian and in Croatian,
"prsluk " in Serbian,
"podprsenka " in Czeck,
"oprsnik " in Slovenian,
"Gjimbajtëse" in Albanian,
"rintaliivit" in Finnish,
"steun keel" in Dutch
Finally, at least based on those languages for which I have found the etymology, all languages but one, English, refer to the idea of "hold" or "control". English is the only one that does not give any clue on what the garment is designed for ! Why ? Any idea ?
I have used several dictionary both paper and on line and looked for the translation both of the English "bra" and of the French "soutien-gorge". One of them, obviously did not handle double words and did not understood the word "soutien-gorge". It asked me if I meant "storage (well !), stonework (well, well !), strength (hehe !), sortilege (haah !), stinging (??!!) or stinking (!!??), and even soutane (not really !) or synagogue (neither !)"…
To finish with, I would like to add (translated from French) a crosswords definition that was once given for this accessory : “supports the weak, restrains the strong and brings back the stray”!
Updated Jan 15, 2009