Stresa Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Stresa

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Memorial to the Alpini

by ettiewyn Updated Aug 9, 2012

There are several statues and memorials along the lakefront, but this one caught my interest because it includes a horse. I am always interested in memorials including animals, so I had a closer look and discovered that it is dedicated to the Alpini, the mountain soldiers. Unfortunately I cannot find out more because I don't understand much Italian, but it seems that there was (and maybe is?) a unit of Alpini stationed in the area of Stresa.

I liked the memorial a lot, it moved me very much. The man and the horse (or it might be a mule?) look so weary!

Directions: On the western side of the lakefront

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

A small church on the way

by ettiewyn Updated Aug 8, 2012

When we walked from the train station to the lakeside, we came across a small church hidden at a little street. Apparently it is not used as a church anymore, but was converted to a family home. I was quite astounded because I had never seen this before - I have often seen churches converted into restaurants, bars or museums, but never into homes!
    I thought that the church looked very pretty in the sunshine, it was very well cared for. I think for children it must be fun to live there!

Address: Via del Crocifisso
    Directions: On the way from the train station to the lakeside, after you have walked down the stairs

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Villas

by croisbeauty Updated Jul 31, 2005

Villa at Baveno

This is the picture I took zooming it from the terrace of an cafe-bar on Isola dei Pescatori. There is a fine, probably 19th century, villa situated on the hill right opposite to the island. Many such a attractive villas can be seen al over the area of Lago Maggiore.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

It takes a village to move a tree

by Callavetta Written Jan 3, 2005

loading the tree

While I was sitting on the promenade, just enjoying being where I was and basking in all the Italian-ness of it all, I watched a giantic moving effort. A crew was attempting to load this palm tree onto a barge to drag over to one of the Borremeo Islands. In true Italian fashion, it required the "consultation" and "advice" of many of the locals.

• American visitors note 9/11 memorial

by johnwaring Updated Dec 30, 2006
    September 11 2001 memorial from Stresa's people

On the main promenade (I think it is near the Grand Hotel of A Farewell to Arms fame) there is a plaque in memory of the victims of 9/11.

• Seniors

Instant Answers: Stresa

Comments

Stresa Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Stresa off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Stresa sightseeing.