This marble carved slab (Via Palazzo di Città) commemorates the memory of Lieutenant General Emilio Degiorgis (1844-1908), who was born in this house, was Supreme Commander of the gendarmerie in Macedonia and who was awarded the title of Pasha by the Ottoman (Turkish) government. Amazing, isn't it, to find a local pasha in the middle of the Alps ?
Beginning on Piazza San Giusto, on one side, along via Marun , the portici are low, with a double vault, one is wide and the other narrower. They seem to be the oldest of the city but I have not found any clue on the date of their building.
On the other side of Via Marun a narrow passage for pedestrians only leads to August arch.
Cattedrale San Giusto (Cathedral Saint Just) was built in 1027. It is built on the design of a latin cross. The clock tower was stone built on a square design and is connected to the right nave, almost in its middle. The roof is very sharp, covered with slates. On each corner, stands a slender pinnacle.
Palazzo municipale (City Town Hall) has given its name to the street, called Via Palazzo di Città. It was built in1831, when it was part of the kingdom of Savoie. It has a neo classical style and looks as a Roman temple with four columns topped by a triangular pediment.
The entrance into this building bears the inscription "Indulgenza della via crucis". It does not seem to be a church but it is obviously a religious building. On top of the entrance, there is a carving with a bishop cap, a Lorraine cross and a sword. I will check if it is the bishopric.
Besides the streets, the old town has also a good deal of narrow passages. Some of them are covered, others not. This one is called "Vicolo delle carcere" (Passage to the prison). In these old streets, you can sometimes find some old door beautifully renovated (second photo) or the remains of a fresco showing the coat of arms of the several cities of the valley (third photo)
Via Palazzo di Città connects Piazza Di Bartolomeo and Via Malun. It allows to reach to Castello Contessa Adelaide. It is lined with "portici" like several streets in Susa. They both protect from the sun in Summer and from snow in winter.
The cathedral dates back to 1027 when Olderico Manfredi ordered the building of a Benedictine Abbey to place the relics of the martyr Saint Justus. It has been a diocesan centre since 1772. During the centuries it was restored several times which explains the different styles: roman, gothic and baroque. Inside the cathedral several works of art are found: a ligneous statue of the Maddalena, identified by the common people with the countess Adelaide, many sculptures and a famous bronze triptyque dated 1358.
The expression “Terme Graziane” is used to indicate two arches of an aqueduct; the name draws its origins from a segusian inscription which mentioned the Gratian Thermae. It was restored between 375 and 378 A.D. by the emperors Gratian, Valente and Valentiniano. The arches of the aqueduct were linked to the castle walls and used as additional defense for the town.
The castle rises on a rock spur from where it dominates the town. It was one of the Savoy’s residences until the XIXth century; then it was taken over by the Municipality and was used as school. The town library, the museum and the historical archives can now be visited inside.
This is the view as you look back across the town from the Arco di Augusto. The picture shows the former church of Santa Maria Maggiore on the right, the Duomo spire, Parco di Augusto in the foreground and the lovely surrounding hills in the background.
As you walk up the small road from Parco di Augusto you're met with this wonderfull triumphant Roman arch. This arch is one of the best preserved in the whole of Italy.
It was built in 8 B.C. to commemorate the alliance between the local Gaulish chieftain and the Roman Emperor Augustus. It is made of marble and on the trabeation there is a long frieze in bas-relief with the description of the alliance: the sacrifices of a ram, a bull and a pig, and the signing of the pact.
This church has been closed to worship since 1749 and it is now a private house. It is the oldest church in the valley. The Romanesque bell tower keeps on the top a double iron point, as two prongs, consequently the ex-church is indicated as the “Fork’s Virgin”.
This beautifully well kept small park is near the Porta Savoia. Behind the park, there is a small road that goes up to the Augustus Arch (which is just above the statue of Augustus in this photo, although trees block it from view).
Not many churches in Italy have the bell tower joined to the main church building. This church stands by a bridge (hence the name) that goes over the Doria Riparia in the town centre.
Built in the Middle Ages, the church was restored in the XIVth century and dedicated to the Virgin of Peace in memory of the Treaty of Vervins signed by the House of Savoy, France and Spain to put an end to the war that devasted the Susa Valley.