Miscellaneous, Torino

Know about this? Rate It!

by Mikebond
  • Jetgirly's Profile Photo

Relocating to Torino

by Jetgirly Updated May 3, 2007

Not My House!

Favorite thing: I have seen a lot of questions in the forum about relocating to Torino, looking for apartments, etc, and want to share the information that I have.

If you are young, a good place to stay while house-hunting is the Ostello Gioventu (Youth Hostel) at Via Alby, 1. Take the bus #52 across the river and get off at Crimea, the hostel is up the hill. Here, you are sure to find plenty of erasmus students also looking for accomodation, and many people find their roommates here.

The Youth Information Center (InformaGiovani) is located at Via Delle Orfane 20, and is open from Tuesday to Saturday 9.30 to 6.30. Inside, you can find print-outs of online resources for house-hunting, free internet access for 40 minutes at a time, and a notice board with room-wanted and room-offered postings. They also have Italian-English dictionaries that you can borrow if you need help reading or composing a posting.

On Sunday, La Stampa newspaper contains a real estate supplement with many apartment and house rental listings. Throughout the week, check out Secondo Mano (Second Hand) newspaper for apartment rentals, house rentals and room rentals. Both of these are available for free at the Youth Info Center (you must leave ID as a deposit). You may see an ad for a "posto letto"- this is a bed in a shared bedroom.

There are many notice boards at the various post-secondary institutes around town, mainly with ads for posto lettos and cameras (rooms) for rent. Try the Politecnico (Corso Duca degli Abruzzi, 24) and the University aka Palazzo Nuovo (Via Verdi).

• Work Abroad
    • Study Abroad

• Great Chocolate

by italiansta Updated Mar 29, 2007

Favorite thing: Turin is the birth place of solid chocolate. It was in Turin that, at the end of the 18th century, Mr Doret invented a revolutionary machine that could make solid chocolate (as opposed to drinking chocolate).

Turin chocolate firms produce a typical chocolate, called Gianduiotto , named after Gianduja, a local Commedia dell'arte mask; plus many other kinds of chocolate (Italian : cioccolato), all equally delicious.

Every year the town organizes cioccolaTO', a two-week chocolate festival run with the main Piedmontese chocolate producers, such as Venchi and others, as well as some big international companies, such as Lindt & Sprüngli.

Fondest memory: The friendship and the variety of foods. Very important was their respect for us.

• Singles

• Jetgirly's Profile Photo

Who Is Vittorio Emmanuel?

by Jetgirly Updated Oct 25, 2006

Vittorio Emmanuel

Favorite thing: Corso Vittorio Emmanuele is the main street in the city of Torino, and also features prominently on the city plans of other Italian cities (ie Milano). There is a (large) monument to the (short) man at the intersection of Re Umberto and Corso Vittorio. Who was he? The first king of the unified Italy after the nation-states joined together and formed a Republic, and a member of the Savoy family whose influence reaches across Piemonte.

• Study Abroad

• draguza's Profile Photo

Torino tourist tips

by draguza Written Oct 12, 2006

Square in Torino

Favorite thing: One word can identify Torino: elegant.
    Torino is an amazing city, full of wonderful historic palaces and wide places, fine streets and gardens.
    Torino is often excluded from the tourists tours, and it's a pity, because this city, which has been capital of Italy until 1864, offers a striking atmosphere, with baroque, neo classical and art nouveau imprint.

Tourists can easily visit Torino on foot. Walking is the best way to visit the city: there are more than 18 km of porches and you can comfortably walk around, admiring the palaces and the shop windows.

• Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture

• draguza's Profile Photo

Via PO

by draguza Written Oct 12, 2006

Via Po

Favorite thing: This street begins in Piazza Castello and ends in Piazza Vittorio Veneto, near Po river.
    It's a pleasant walk, under the portico. Look at Palazzo dell'Università, the Church of S. Francesco da Paola and Palazzo degli Stemmi.

• Architecture

Luci d'artista - 2

by Mikebond Written Jul 27, 2006

Luci d'artista

Favorite thing: Here are more light art works. I particularly liked the firework-like work, which should have been in Piazza Castello. The last picture show a basin with hot, red-coloured water.
    If you go to Torino, check if Luci d'artista is on and don't miss it!

Luci d'artista - 1

by Mikebond Updated Jul 27, 2006

Luci d'artista

Favorite thing: Luci d'artista is a group of modern art works based on light and illumination. It's a temporary exhibition that takes place every year. When I visited Torino with my mother, there were a lot of them in the most crowded corners of the city, i.e. squares and monuments, and I enjoyed taking pictures of them. I don't know the names of the artists and the titles of the works, just look at the pictures!
    I don't remember in which square the light works in the first three pictures were installed. The two last photos are not real light art works, but a kind of movies about snails or other little animals. They were located in Piazza San Carlo, the most famous square of the city, which was undergoing major works for the construction of an underground parking. Emanuele Filiberto's equestrian statue was removed and the whole square looked awful.
    Local people were very angry with the mayor because many squares and beautiful streets had been (temporarily) destroyed to build parkings and argued that the screen with the snails had been put there to distract people from the works that had spoiled the square.

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

"Ssi ssente che ssono piemontesse?"

by Mikebond Updated Jul 27, 2006

Franco Neri (c)www.comune.torino.it

Fondest memory: This sentence made me and my mum (who was with me in Torino) laugh a lot during our stay in that city.
    There is a comic show on the Italian TV, called Zelig, in which many artists play fun sketches. One of them, Franco Neri (from the Southern region of Calabria), embodies the typical Southern Italian who in the past decades emigrated to Torino (and to the North in general). He often makes comparisons between the way of life in the South, where people enjoy life and are very emotional and warm, and in the North, where people are rather moderated and cold. Franco always makes fun of his Piedmontese friend Pautasso.
    Well, the two lines for which this artist is very known in Italy are "Franco, oh Franco" (it's how his relatives in Calabria call him) and the one I've written above.
    Actually, I didn't know how to write it since the fun is that the sentence "Si sente che sono piemontese?" ("Does it sound clear I come from Piemonte?") is pronounced with a Southern accent. In Southern Italy, "s" between two vowels in pronounced somehow between "ss" and "zz" (phonetically /ts-ts/; it can be difficult for foreigners to pronounce it).
    When we arrived in Torino, we didn't think that Franco's are everywhere in that city: in bars, in museums, in shops, while original local people have almost disappeared. My mum and I laughed and remembered this line when we heared Southern Italians everywhere, certainly not because we don't like our Southern compatriots; it is simply strange to found a city where original people are a very little minority.

• Theater Travel

• ant1606's Profile Photo

Events: Gay Pride 2006

by ant1606 Written Jun 18, 2006

Torino - Gay Pride 2006

Favorite thing: Torino was chosen as the host city of the 2006 Gay Pride event which took place on June 17. This event was the first of its kind in the city and saw the participation of some 22,000 people from all over Italy and some foreing countries.
    A colorful parade developed for hours through the city streets.

• pink63's Profile Photo

TURISMOBUS TORINO

by pink63 Updated Feb 11, 2005

Favorite thing: Turismobus is a touristic bus that joins with a circular distance all the touristic points of interest of the city, revealing the various spirits of the city, from the art to the shopping.

The main characteristic is that you can get on and off where and when you want during the validity of the ticket at any of the route's stops(14 stops) and then continue with the next one, one hour later.
    On board an hostess will show you main monuments and attractions.

All the year, it is in service during the weekend from 10 to 7 p.m. (every day during Christmas and Easter period).

It leave from Piazza Solferino, in front of Palazzo Alfieri.
    The ticket cost 5€, but it is free for the Torino Card owners.

• pink63's Profile Photo

CHOCOPASS

by pink63 Updated Feb 11, 2005

Favorite thing: Chocopass is a carnet for 10/15 tastings to the discovery of the pleasures of the chocolate: gianduiotti, praline, cremini, chocolate cakes, ice creams .. to consume in the historical coffees of the city, such as Caffè San Carlo, Caffè Platti, Caffè Torino, Peyrano...

It costs 10€ and it's valid 24 hours for 10 tastings.
    If you choose 15 tastings, it is valid 48 hours at the cost of 15 €.

My worst football related moment in Torino II

by Calcio Updated Dec 20, 2004

Favorite thing: Being a sportjournalist is always fun. Well, at least most of the time...

In august 2004 Juventus bought the swedish player Zlatan Ibrahimovic from Ajax. I was sent down to Torino by my swedish newspaper to cover the press conference and to talk to people in Torino about the new Juve-player.

It was one of those days you never think will end. I started my trip at 5 am from Sweden, got to my hotel in Torino at 11, went directly to Stadio Delle Alpi for the interviews, and then got back to the hotel at 3pm.

Dinnner-time? No way... I had to go out and ask the "normal" people on the street what they thought about Ibrahimovic, order from my boss.

Normally in Italy everyone cares about football. Everyone talks about it, don't matter if you're a 20-year-old guy, or a 92-year-old woman. You know football anyway.

Well, not in Torino... It took me three hours to find five people who knew anything about football...

And then another hour and a half to find two more people, since two of the first one didn't want to let me take a photo of them for the newspaper...

Got back to the hotel shortly before 8pm, and then my bosses back in Sweden wanted articles!!

I was writing, and writing, and writing. Until one o clock in the morning when I finally realised that I hadn't eaten anything since that tiny sandwich on the morning flight...

Ran out and got a fantastic pizza (and, ok, a cold beer too... ;) ), and then it was back to the hotel, sending home the answers from these five persons, plus the photos, plus the last other articles.

Jumped in bed at four a clock in the morning. 6 hours later I woke up, checked my e-mail, where my boss told me that I had done a great job the other night, but that they in the end hadn't used the answers from the normal people, since the newspaper was packed with articles anyway...

I could have killed someone... Just didn't know who...

Took the first train to Milano and went out with my friends there! Then I felt much better! :)

My best football related moment in Torino II

by Calcio Written Dec 20, 2004

Favorite thing: Since I prefer Torino before Juventus I must also count the first derby 2001/02 among the best memories from the city.

I had been in Rome the day before, where I saw Roma-Atalanta, and then took the night train to Torino, where I came at 7 o clock in the morning. Had big troubles to find a hotel with a room at that time of the day, but finally made it and I could sleep for a couple of hours.

At three the derby between Torino and Juventus started, and for the Torino-supporters it couldn't have gone worse. After the first half Juventus were 3-0 up...

But then something happened, which made the Torino-people, and also some journalist in the presstand, go crazy.

Torino started to play a fantastic football, and before someone had understood anything, they had equalised, 3-3.

Then... since they met Juventus, and Juventus always are favoured by the referees, of course Juventus got a penalty in the last minute... It just couldn't be true...

The chilean forward Marcelo Salas stepped forward - and drove the ball high over the goal!!

Just one minute later the game was over, and Torino had "won" with 3-3.

All the way back to the town every tram was full of singing Torino-supporters, amazing! :)

My best football related moment in Torino I

by Calcio Written Dec 20, 2004

Favorite thing: Since I'm not a supporter of neither Juventus or Torino it's quite hard to find any real good moments that I've had in the city.

Specially since I've never seen Milan win there...

But I've seen a lot of fantastic games there, as Juventus-Real Madrid, Juventus-Barcelona, Juventus-Manchester United, Juventus-Bayern Munich, the Torino-derby, Juventus-Milan and many more.

Still, my best memory is from my first trip to Torino, when I saw a game in Serie B.
    It was in the spring 2001, and Torino was close to get up in the Serie A again.

I arrived to Milano on a friday morning, and since I had nothing better to do I took the train to Torino and watched Torino-Cagliari.

Can't remember so much of the game, more than that Torino won (1-0 I think), but the atmosphere was really great! A huge choreograph from the Torino-fans covered their curva at the beginning of the game, and at the end, when Torino had won, and almost were back in the Serie A, it felt like the whole town were singing "Serie A, Serie A, Serie A" for their Toro-heroes.

My worst football related memory in Torino I

by Calcio Written Dec 20, 2004

Favorite thing: During the season 2002/03 me and my journalist colleges Paolo and Marcus went on every Juventus-game in Champions League (I missed one, but it was worth it. I went to a party instead, and got together with a very special girl... :) ).

Every trip we made in Paolo's old car (sorry Paolo, but your new one feels much safer... ;) ) and we sure got some troubles out of that... (see also my Verona-page, under "general tips").

The worst moment was in mars 2003, when we went to Torino to see Juventus-Barcelona in the quarterfinal.
    Due to the traffic we arrived late, and got the last parking place in the whole area. The guys who are "guarding" the cars were gone since a long time, and we were actually quite pleased that we didn't have to pay for the parking.

Worse was to come...

When we had finished our works, and got out of the stadium, in -2 degrees Celcius, we noticed that someone had moved Paolo's car.
    The luggage-door was open and all Marcus luggage were either stolen or thrown in the water on the ground.

And, the window on the front side of the car was smashed...

So, there we were, shortly after midnight, in -2 degrees Celcius, without a window.

We managed to get some paper from the nearby McDonalds, and then starter our lovely 170 kilometers back to Milano.

But first we were told we had to go to the police in Torino center, to sign in for the damage. It took us just an hour to find the a police-station there, where they then told us it was closed for that sort of problem, and that we could sign in the next day in Milano instead...
    Thanks for telling us that directly...

Fondest memory: We went back on the highway, and after 15 minutes the paper wasn't no more...

Stopped at a gas station and got a plastic-bag instead, which then a nice truckdriver fastened on the outside of the car door, against my will...

Since it was raining, the tape wasn't good enough, and after just five minutes the plastic bag was no more...

Another gas station, and then we fastened the plastic bag on the inside instead...

Finally back in Milano, at five o clock in the morning. Marcus took the few things that still were of his packing, and went directly to the airport for going home to London.

Me and Paolo were so pleased that Juventus had played so bad during the evening, so that we for sure shouldn't have to return to lousy and ***ty Torino again!

So, of course they played a great game two weeks later, and beat Barcelona after extratime...

A couple of weeks later we were back in Torino, for Juventus-Real Madrid. And this time we paid for the parking too, not having any windows smashed this time...

Instant Answers: Torino