Alberobello Things to Do

One home example

Most Recent Things to Do in Alberobello

Walking through Alberobello

Walking through Alberobello

Walking through Alberobello, with my camera in my hand. Alberobello is so picturesque that I made lots of pictures here. Hahaha, as you will discover later, the roofs were my favourite part of the trulli :-)

Quite a few trulli have been turned into small shops for the tourist trade. It's nice to go inside a few of them as you get a chance to see the trulli on the inside as well. There are of course the usual souvenir shops, but there are a lot of little shops that display the handicrafts of the local artisans. Others offer the wines, jams and all kinds of foods that are specialties of the region.

Old man

Old man in Alberobello

This old man was standing in his doorway, looking curiously at me and giving me a smile.
    The people in Alberobello are very nice. This man reminds me of a man I met earlier on in the day. He was having a little atelier with paintings, and I took a look there. He started to talk to me, but unfortunately he didn't speak that well English. Hahaha, and my Italian isn't very good, so you can understand that communicating was quite difficult ;-)

But the old man was very patient and with a mixture of English and Italian, he started to explain to me the story of the trulli. I was fascinated by it. He told me how the trulli were build and explained that the structure made sure that the trulli stayed nice and cool in the summer and warm in the winter and pointed out the details of the trulli. I had a great time listening to this man with his stories. When I left his little atelier, he winked to me to come back. He gave me some postcards which had his drawings on it. I thanked him gratefully for this gesture, he was so sweet. I still have these postcards up to this day, as I have good memories of that moment in Alberobello.

Alberobello

And as you can see, I had the streets to myself :-) These trulli are limestone dwellings that are found in the southern region of Puglia. They are remarkable examples of drywall (mortarless) construction, a prehistoric building technique still in use in this region. The trulli are made of roughly worked limestone boulders collected from neighbouring fields. Characteristically, they feature pyramidal, domed or conical roofs built up of corbelled limestone slabs.

Walking into town

Alberobello

After having parked the car not far from this old part of Alberobello, I walked into the old city. It was late in the morning and the sun was burning hot. I was one of the few tourists walking through the streets at that time. Everyone else was more clever and waiting for the hottest part of the day to be over.

Yes, I am crazy to walk here now, I know. But this way I have the city for myself and I don't have to work my way through the heaps of tourists, which I find a great advantage.

• shavy's Profile Photo

Next to the square

by shavy Written Jan 4, 2014
    Too bad the fountain didn't work

Not far from the main square we'll get to this place, behind, you'll have the beautiful views from the trulli rooftops. It can be very crowded, people want to stands here for pictures

• hquittner's Profile Photo

See the Church

by hquittner Written Nov 4, 2005

Church (ahead left) and Sovrano( rt)

Up the hill along the "main" street almost to the top, is the square with the church and the town hall. They are modern in creation and are in trullo-style. One passes numerous shops along the way.

• Seniors
    • Religious Travel
    • Theme Park Trips

• cfuentesm's Profile Photo

by cfuentesm Written Oct 11, 2005

Trullis

The main ttraction of Alberobello is its unique architecture composed of these weirs little houses called Trulli. A couple of hours visiting the town will be quite enough.

The Trulli of Alberobello

The Trulli houses characteristically, they feature pyramidal, domed or conical roofs built up of corbelled limestone slabs.

The Trulli of Alberobello

You have just see it with your own eyes to see the beauty.

Trulli

The remarkable examples of drywall (mortarless) construction, a prehistoric building technique still in use in this region.

Instant Answers: Alberobello

Comments

Alberobello Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Alberobello things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Alberobello sightseeing.