San Donato Val di Comino Off The Beaten Path

• Off The Beaten Path
    by JLeone

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in San Donato Val di Comino

• Watch the skydivers, wander off into the farmland

by JLeone Updated Jan 11, 2008

I have always beleived that you discover the best things when it is spontaneous, or unplanned. If you take a walk down Via Macerino and head toward the compagna, or farmland, try to get a little lost. Take those narrow roads and see where it leaves you. As you walk past the adorable farm houses, you will see many sights, and hear many sounds. it is amazing what you can learn about the San Donatese life as you take a stroll. As you walk past the farm houses, you may see an elderly woman sitting on her chair outside, possibly knitting, or hanging laundry. One time, I had stopped to chat with the woman. I had learned that she lived with her daughter and son in law, and that she was babysitting her 2 grandchildren. It is common in San Donatese families for the elderly to live with their own children, and be the caretaker of the grandchildren. Some families do not have dryers, so they still hang their clothes on the clotheslines or in the basement to dry. Now I understand why my mother had a long clothesline in our basement in America. We called it "la corda", as it was the entire length of our basement. We hung our laundry there for many years. You will discover this as you walk past the homes. You may notice that there is only 1 car in the driveway. Some families share one car. Of course, some families may each have their own car, but it is common for a husband and wife to share a car. If both the husband and the wife work, the wife may sometimes use the convenient transportation system, such as the bus or train, while the man takes the car (or they alternate). One day, I got a little lost, and met an older couple who were making sausage right in their basement! They told me how they made sausage, and I have written it down. Will I ever actually make my own sausage, maybe some day. San Donatese love their home made sausage. The couple showed me the bottles of white and red wine. San Donatese love making a little of each, and you can find a bottle of red and a bottle of red at their table at lunch and dinner.

• Take a stroll in San Donato Val di Comino

by JLeone Written Dec 12, 2007

If you do not want to take an afternoon nap when the rest of the locals take theirs, put on your sneakers and take a walk through the town. Enjoy the beautiful, hidden, historic houses

Instant Answers: San Donato Val di Comino

Comments

San Donato Val di Comino Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of San Donato Val di Comino off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for San Donato Val di Comino sightseeing.

View all San Donato Val di Comino hotels