Unique Places in Sardegna

• Our rented car seen at rear view within the Canyon
    Our rented car seen at rear view within...
    by kharmencita
    The chiesa in the main street
    by iandsmith
    Pasqualino
    by JennysTravels

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in Sardegna

• kharmencita's Profile Photo

Wild Camping at the Gorropu Canyon

by kharmencita Updated Oct 29, 2012

Our Holiday in Sardinia was meant only for Camping. We wanted to minimize our expenses so we decided to buy a very simple and inexpensive Camping Tent to use whenever we wanted to stay overnight in any Camping grounds we happened to pass by. It was a very interesting and one of the adventurous travel I ever made. We didn´t eat in restaurants. We went in big supermarkets and bought our foods to carry along with us. We brought our own camping cooking utensils and cooked wherever we felt like when we were hungry. Sometimes we cooked our foods right in front of a bus stop grounds which is normally forbidden or just adjuscent to a very clean public toilet Building just to have closer access to water supply.
    In the month of November i should advice not to buy a very thin and simple Tent like ours because at this moment we prepared the Tent it rained so hard that the moist went through the Tent. I slept and felt safer inside the car. My Friend slept in the Tent. We camped here only for one night after we did the trekking at the Gorropu Gorge. If possible Autumn is not ideal to trek here because of the rain and some ways could be slippery.
    For me, it was something wild and crazy kind of adventure.

• Camping

Building solutions

by iandsmith Updated Jun 1, 2012

It seems no matter where you go in Italy, there are different ways of arriving at solutions to building problems and all manner of things are liable to be used.....as shown in these examples.
    All through Europe you'll come across caves like this in areas where volcanic ash called tufa (tuff, tuffa) is present. This rock is easily tunnelled and becomes hard on contact with oxygen to it is ideal for shelter.

• Architecture

Orgosolo

by iandsmith Updated Oct 17, 2010

I'd never heard of the place to be honest but it was recommended by the enthusiastic receptionist our accommodation house so off we went.
    Little did we know that our trip coincided with their annual three day festival in October when local goods are proudly displayed.
    This oversize village hangs its fame on its murals and there are plenty to see. Though many originally were done in Picasso style and echoed the famous artist's political views; these days there are a variety of works on show.
    Otherwise, there'd be very little reason to visit this place other than it being on a lovely scenic route around the mountains of middle Sardegna.
    However, there's over 200 of them and it would certainly challenge even the discerning tourist such a myself to claim that they've seen all of them.
    Here is a sampling of what you might see though. I've tried to cover some of the varying styles on offer.

• Adventure Travel

La Fortezza di Monte Altura

by iandsmith Updated Dec 20, 2009

I did but see it passing by and wondered why there were no tourists here, just a few kilometres west of Palau.
    Turns out that it's a military site (no surprises there), and the today empty gun emplacements from WWII bear testimony to its relatively recent use.
    This castle of just over a century ago (1890-1891) is in such good condition it looks like it was built less than a year ago but sadly I was there during siesta.
    In fact, as indicated by the detailed sign (sadly on in Italian), there is a lot of interest.
    There are also excellent views over the surrounding landscape though while I was there the weather wasn't very helpful.
    I've listed this under "off the beaten path" but it's right on a sealed thoroughfare but, so there's no problem driving though if you keep going you'll end up in a resort and can go no further.
    Open - April/May 9-noon and 3-6
    June-Aug 9-noon and 5-8
    Sept-mid Oct 9-noon and 3-5

• Castles and Palaces

Park of San Lorenzo

by iandsmith Updated Dec 2, 2009

Where the Rinaggia has its source is where the park is. This splendid park is worth taking time out for.
    I came to the dead end street where it is situated and took a short break to check it out. There's also another nice park just back on the other side of the hill where we also went for a walk and it has lovely views over the surrounding landscape (pic 5).
    These are places where the population of around 14,000 can relax.

• Photography
    • National/State Park

Mores

by iandsmith Written Nov 29, 2009

This place is not so much a destination as somewhere you might be driving through.....as I was.
    One couldn't help but notice the exceptional (and exceptionally large) mural painting on the side of a building so I had to pull up and record it.
    Mores is in the north central part of Sardinia, east of Sassari and south of Tempio Pausania.

Oschiri

by iandsmith Written Nov 27, 2009

Oschiri is a pleasant fairly typical Sardinian town with a central piazza and church and just out of town is the Romanesque "Chiesa di San Demetrio".
    The main church in the middle of the town is only just over 100 years old, fairly recent by Italian standards. It's called Chiesa Parrocchiale B.V. Immacolata and is set at one end of a piazza.
    During my brief time in the town I have to say I saw little else that made me say "wow" and want to stop. Then again, I was on my way to Padria that day.
    Nearby, you can either reach Lago Coghinas by taking the dramatic winding mountain road from Tempio Pausania over Monte Limbara with its peak at Punta Balistreri (1359m). Alternatively it is a peaceful spot to break the journey from Sassari or Oristano to Olbia (off the SS597). This artificial lake was created in 1927 and is the largest in Sassari and second largest in Sardinia.

• Religious Travel

San Pantaleo

by iandsmith Updated Nov 27, 2009

This village developed around the rural church dedicated to San Pantaleo; celebrations in honour of the Saint take place from the 27th to the 30th of July with a mixture of shows, dances and traditional music. The hamlet went almost unnoticed by tourists until the 1960s’, when the boom of the Emerald Coast and in particular the increasing popularity of the near Porto Cervo have led to the discovery of this quiet spot by tourists and international artists who have set their home here. San Pantaleo remains a quirky rural place popular with those tourists after a relaxing and authentic Sardinian holiday. Every Tuesday the village comes to life with the street market on the square, where you will find stalls with absolutely everything, from the most tasteful souvenirs to precious rarities.
    To get there, from Olbia take national route SS 125 and after 7 kilometres turn right following the sign that says: PORTO CERVO –BAJA SARDINIA – SAN PANTALEO. Drive along the panoramic coastal road for 10 kilometres until you get to a fork in the road, then turn left for San Pantaleo. The village is only a few kilometres away from that point.
    I went there on the advice of a fellow vter whose page I read; specifically to see the rocks. Let me tell you, having driven a couple of thousand kilometres around the island, this is definitely one of the best places to see them.

• Photography
    • Eco-Tourism

Nuraghe Longu

by iandsmith Written Nov 26, 2009

I was waiting to get into the museum and saw the signs so I thought I might wile away some time and have a look. The walkway to it was lovely, going through some nice forest but, having seen other sites previously, the main tower was interesting but the site itself was neglected and lacked the other buildings associated with similar villages.

• Castles and Palaces
    • Archeology
    • Architecture

Padria

by iandsmith Updated Nov 26, 2009

The poster was beautifully produced. The archeological artifact stood out on the glossy background and called to me to come and have a look at the real thing.
    Padria was where it was located and there was a museum there. Though it was nearly two hours distant we made plans but, due to a late departure and my endless need for photography, we arrived around 1 o'clock.
    Padria is not a large town and the few people who were there didn't speak English. Despite this I eventually found the museum. Chiuso (closed). It was siesta time. Silly me. Never mind, we went elsewhere to get some lunch and made sure we were back at 3 p.m. when it re-opened. Trouble was, it didn't reopen.
    We pleaded with locals and they said that the key was held at the local council building just across the street. Unfortunately, as they looked across it was obvious that it was currently undergoing repairs so it, too, was chiuso.
    In lieu of the museum I eventually opted for the church next door. It had history, lots of history and it was well documented on the signs. We learned that it was built in the 16th century by the Ferrera Barons on the ruins of several old churches and it was obvious while inside that some of those had been incorporated in the new church, as indicated by the Romanesque stonework in the opening picture.
    Chiesa di Santa Giulia is named after a woman who was martyred in Corsica by crucifixion in the 5th century.

• Religious Travel
    • Archeology

Day of the festival

by iandsmith Updated Nov 25, 2009

The day we were there it was simply humming. In addition to cars there were motorhomes, a biker club based in Rome, buses of many hues and even cyclists (from Germany, where else).
    Apparently the festival runs for three days with the accent on home grown or manufactured products.
    The first lady we met (pic 2) was obviously upset that I'd just shot her husband, raped her children and burnt down her house........actually, all she was doing was explaining that the locals had done all the art work on display. I told her to be quiet and give me another meringue...they were delicious!
    After checking out some local artworks we headed towards main street, drifting along with the flow of the crowd. We came upon people roasting nuts, selling local biscuits, sweets that could have come from anywhere but, the best of all was this man cooking the pigs, all 32 of them. This turned out to be quite an attraction and people of all shapes and sizes were getting their photos taken in front of them.
    The lady in pic 3 we bought some biscuits from. I mean, look at her, how could you refuse?
    Further on, after checking half a dozen out and finding them all full, we finally managed to find a restaurant in the aptly named Petit Hotel and sat down for some food. It was a set menu and they just kept trundling out dishes and putting them before you.
    Having said that, it wasn't too bad and the local wine washed it down well.

• Festivals

• coolapaddy's Profile Photo

Torre dei Corsari

by coolapaddy Updated Oct 17, 2007

We stayed 1 week in Torre dei Corsari at Brezza Marina apartment.
    While being a quiet place with a very nice golden sand beach, it's only 30 minutes drive from the SS131 motorway.
    It's a convenient spot to explore the Costa Verde and the west part of Sardegna in general.
    Don't miss the panorama at the top of the 100 ft sand dune.

• Beaches

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

The perfect settlement ?

by sourbugger Written May 25, 2006

Porto Raphael, in the north of the Island (nr Palau) is a rather unusual village.

It is a village, only some 40-odd years old, very smart and upmarket. It features some impressive looking, but not overly-ostentatious villas. Many of them appear to have a slightly 'Arab / Moroccan' feel to the architecture.

This may be your 'set', in which case enjoy your yacht, your expensive drink in 'Harry's bar' and the stunning setting. The rest of us will slum it elsewhere.

• gmg61's Profile Photo

Gole di Gorropu

by gmg61 Written Feb 21, 2006

Also called "Europe's Grand Canyon2 it's a narrow and steep valley producted by the water erosion of the Rio Flumineddu.
    It's never wider than 20 metres it's 400 to 500 metres deep, with vertical walls. The rivers forms some small lakes in the valley.

You can get there with a two hours trek in a beautiful scenario.

• Eco-Tourism

• bluedook's Profile Photo

Monte dei Sette Fratelli

by bluedook Written Jul 29, 2005

Take the SS125 East over the mountains. Take the right turning just before the left turning to Burcei. Drive up the single track up into the mountains. Once up th top plenty of places to park. Near the end of the road is a smal Nuraghe with great views of the mountains

Sardegna Hotels

4 Reviews - 17 Photos
Trinità d'Agultu Hotels
1 Review - 19 Photos

Instant Answers: Sardegna

Comments

Sardegna Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Sardegna off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sardegna sightseeing.
Map of Sardegna