Orgosolo Travel Guide

by giampiero6
    View from the balcony
    by iandsmith
  • This magic painting is downhill from Orgosolo
    This magic painting is downhill from...
    by iandsmith

Orgosolo Things to Do

I'll take that one thank you 2 more images

by iandsmith Written Jan 30, 2011

There's a veritable feast to be had here during the three days of the festival in October, as clearly shown in these pictures.
    I'd never seen pigs roasted over an open fire before, as I'm sure many of you will never see and it was only my second time for chestnut roasting as it's not that common in Australia. I've forgotten what the third pic was about, perhaps you can advise?

View from the balcony 2 more images

by iandsmith Written Jan 30, 2011

Of course, Orgosolo has more to offer. As mentioned previously, just getting there is worth the drive alone and the view from the balcony when you get there is a bit more than merely pleasant.
    The culinary "delights" (pics 2 and 3) were interesting. At our meal in the Petit Hotel (pic 2) it was army choice. Take it or leave it. We took it because (a) we were hungry and (b) there was no other choice. While certainly palatable I doubt Michelin will be around in the next few years looking to bestow a star or two upon it but, then again, if they did it would detract from the ambience of the place I suspect.

Fascinating 4 more images

by iandsmith Updated Jan 30, 2011

Little did we know that our trip coincided with their annual three day festival in October when local goods are proudly displayed.
    This oversize village hangs its fame on its murals and there are plenty to see. Though many originally were done in Picasso style and echoed the famous artist's political views; these days there are a variety of works on show.
    Otherwise, there'd be very little reason to visit this place other than it being on a lovely scenic route around the mountains of middle Sardegna.
    However, there's over 200 of them and it would certainly challenge even the discerning tourist such a myself to claim that they've seen all of them.
    Here is a sampling of what you might see though. I've tried to cover some of the varying styles on offer.
    Rosemarie's favourite was pic 4 and one of mine was pic 5.

Orgosolo Local Customs

• giampiero6's Profile Photo
    Ruffled Collars Won't Get You Love in Orgosolo

by giampiero6 Updated Nov 12, 2002

Orgosolo is famous for its accomplished tradition of Murales. Large creative murals that you'll find all over town. Usually the murals are of a social and political nature and usually focus on class struggle. This part of Sardinia has a long history of struggle against invasion, oppression, and cultural imperialism. They're still here though. Take a walk around the town and admire the murals and think about why this mural phenomenon happened here. In Sardinian this mural reads, "It's time to eradicate these people from the Earth; their abuse of the land, their misuse of the land, their despotism."

Orgosolo Favorites

This magic painting is downhill from Orgosolo 4 more images

by iandsmith Written Jan 30, 2011

Favorite thing: Even the area around Orgosolo is worth allocating some time to.

Fondest memory: As is my wont, I saw a sign that looked like it indicated a lookout so off I went. Eventually it became dirt and we were driving past open range farm animals (pic 5) and getting wonderful views over the countryside (pic 4) that rivalled that of what we'd seen getting there (pic 2).
    However, one of my favourite things was the opening picture. It's on a switchback bend as you leave on the downhill side of Orgosolo, just a kilometre or two out of town.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Photography

Pumping with tourists 1 more image

by iandsmith Updated Jan 30, 2011

Favorite thing: There we were, ensconced in our air conditioned accommodation by the sea and our hosts are telling us to head off to some place we'd never heard of (read most of Sardinia) in the backblocks of the interior to look at some paintings on a few walls.
    How could we ignore them?
    I'm so glad we didn't.

Fondest memory: The weather was lovely, as it was every day we were on this neglected (by tourists) isle, as we slipped further and further into the countryside, climbing away from the coast on Sardinia's only motorway before leaving that and winding through the lovely hillsides.
    At some place we pulled up to take a few snaps of the scenic beauty that we becoming more apparent and I vividly remember a tourist bus going past.
    "A tourist bus, out here?", I thought. Must be more popular than I had suspected.
    When we drew close to the town however, we came across more buses. When we arrived you had to park before you even got to the town. I was amazed.
    However, it transpired that it was the weekend of their annual festival. We had gotten lucky for it was a veritable food fest and the town was humming.

• Hiking and Walking

• Orgosolo Hotels

0 Hotels in Orgosolo

Instant Answers: Orgosolo

Comments

Orgosolo Travel Guide
Map of Orgosolo