Scalea Travel Guide

Scalea Hotels

Scalea Restaurants

• Gian-11's Profile Photo

by Gian-11 Updated Aug 7, 2011

Every time we come for a holiday to Scalea we make sure to pay at least a couple of visits to our favourite pizzeria: Le Mimose. The guy boasts of being national champion of classic pizza-making ... and he's got every right to do so. We can't think of another place where we can taste a better pizza than this. Certainly not in Durban, or the rest of South Africa ... not even in my my home town, in northern Italy. The dough, always of the right thickness, always manages to come out of the oven as crisp and light as can be, and remains crisp in your plate until the last morsel. Although it is claimed to be made with type 00 flour, somehow this dough manages to present you with a slight whole-wheat flavour somewhere or other, no doubt an effect of the wood-fired oven. The variety of toppings is quite impressive and prices are modest, ranging from somewhere around 4 euro to a maximum of 10 euro per pizza. You can't really get a main course, while the menu only has few pasta dishes for primi but, who can blame them when they can make such a super-pizza. Only one shortcoming: it's not open 24/7! The place also offers excellent and professional service, coupled with take-away containers of innovative and effective technology. Open evenings only; open for lunch on market days.

• Gian-11's Profile Photo

by Gian-11 Updated Aug 7, 2011

My wife and I were in Scalea for a short week, in July 2007, scouting for a property and came away with a very positive impression of the local restaurants. We tried three on the beach front, one classifiable as "fusion" (Ristorante Virdis), that left us very impressed. At "Antica Osteria", (via Michele Bianchi) we were forced to sample, not too disappointingly, their excellent seafood because the pizza oven had not been fired up that afternoon. The helpful locals, however, neglected to recommend establishments specializing in genuine Calabrese cuisine. Luckily we discovered La Rondinella, during a visit to medieval Scalea. We visited it again before leaving, as we couldn't keep away from the wonderful tastes experienced at this family-run eatery. Apology for not providing detailed descriptions: it never occurred to me to keep notes. However, should you happen to visit Scalea, do yourself a favour and sample the Rondinella fair: you won't regret it. On our first visit, we made the mistake of answering "yes" to the waiter innocuous suggestion to start off with a selection of antipasti: I wish I could make this kind of mistakes every day! The antipasti simply kept coming, one after the other; the fact that Elaine declared herself a vegetarian proved no challenge for mama who doubles as chef. The selection was so wide and inviting, and the tastes so wonderful and genuine, that we were able to put a stop to the antipasti only after we had place for neither pasta or "secondo" (main course). So, Elaine stopped there, while I managed to tuck away some spaghetti with a sauce made with the local, chourizo-like, hot sausage (salamino calabrese). Everything was washed down with a white wine produced by the owner's farm. Although quite friendly with the dishes sampled, its flavour turned out somewhat alien to my taste buds, used as they are to the northern Italian, few German and quite a lot of South African wines. We managed our second visit more wisely, so that I succeeded in sampling a bit of everything, including a hearty-tasting roast of lamb.

Favorite Dish: TMTM (Too Many To Mention)

• Scalea Hotels

9 Hotels in Scalea

Instant Answers: Scalea

Comments

Scalea Travel Guide
Map of Scalea