Catania Restaurants

• Restaurants
    Swedish table buffet

Most Recent Restaurants in Catania

• Vishuddha's Profile Photo

DE FIORE: Grandma's kitchen!!

by Vishuddha Written Oct 15, 2011

It's the real Grandma Catanese's taste!!

Favorite Dish: If you order a fresh pasta (sorry, I don't remember the name of the dish, but you can just ask), you can eat the very home made pasta.
    La nonna (nonna means grandma in Italian) starts to make pasta when she get an order. So you have to wait loooong time. While waiting, you can enjoy wine and appetizer, and chatting with friends or family. You have to wait really long. 45 min to 1 hour. But you can enjoy the home made pasta for sure. If you are in hurry, of course I can't recommend this restaurant.

• Theater Travel

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Unfortunatelly, can't remember the name: Manggiare al Siciliano

by croisbeauty Written Sep 19, 2011

What a pitty, I can't remember the name of this restaurant, can't even sugget to other potential visitors where to go and enjoy in really delicious food.
    The ambient is typical Italian, rather small restaurant with several tables only and looking more alike trattoria. It is one of those places for which Italians usually saying; "si manggia bene" (eating good food). The food is fresh and really good while the staff very friendly and helpfull.
    The restaurant offers great "Swedish table" - antipasti, with deliciously prepared first dish in a typical Sicilian way.

Favorite Dish: As already said, the first dish was just perfect and very tastefull. We choosed seafood for the second and it was very logical choice, grilled calamari (squidfish) for my wife while I took grilled fish fillets. The weiter suggested some white and unbottled local wine which was pretty good. We paid around 40 euros for two.

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo

Trattoria U Fucularu: Local Family Run & Excellent!

by RoscoeGregg Updated Apr 4, 2011

Excelent Fresh Pasta And Zucinni

My buddy and brother Mike glanced in the window as we passed on our way to another restaurant. He insisted we change plans. He was so right. What caught our eye was the antipasti table.

Mother cooks, Sister serves, Brother runs the grill and Dad runs the bar. It just does not get more family run than that. They are all great at what they do.

The food was created of fresh quality ingredients. The restaurant is clean and the service was top notch. It is a rambling sort of place with rooms and nice corners. The tables and chairs are a charming eclectic mix. I felt like I was home here.

Stop for dinner here and you will remember it for a long time.

Favorite Dish: I had some sausage stuffed fresh with cheese and basil. It was then grilled and it was fantastic. The pasta is fresh and made in house. We had several pastas and they were all very good.

The antipasti table is a great option if you want to eat light or try lots of options. It was very good. I had some eggplant that I wanted to rub all over my body it was so good!

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo

Millefoglie: Just Perfect Lunch

by RoscoeGregg Updated Mar 31, 2011

Easy to miss

Located behind an unassuming facade is a wonderland of culinary delight. This small and friendly place is almost beyond description. The tables are communal with a few small tables. It is warmly appointed and the staff from the owner to the wait staff were very competent and welcoming.

check the blackboard for the daily menu. The fare is fresh and seasonal. It was very well prepared and presented.

You will probably have to wait a bit to be seated but be patient because it is worth it. It is a warm and friendly place for lunch. Not to be missed.

Barbara was able to find several Vegitarian options.

Favorite Dish: I had the "choose 3" option. A pasta, a soup, a salad. We had a nivce house wine and Dolce. All were excelent.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Caffè del Duomo: Caffè del Duomo

by sandysmith Written Jun 7, 2009

Although in a prime location this lovely cafe was reasonably priced and a great place to sit in the cathedral square

Favorite Dish: No main meal but coffees and the local snack - arancina - an orange shaped bread crumbed savoury snack filled with vegetables, rice and cheese - very tasty.

Good selection of coffees, ice-creams and sweets. Open for dinner too - although that menu did not look inspiring, hence the hunt for a more authentic trattatoria.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Trattoria Forzese: Sicilian Trattoria

by sandysmith Updated Jun 7, 2009

pasta course

Walked passed this trattotia as we headed away from the Bellini Theatre back to our hotel and earmarked it for a meal that night - we weren't disappointed. At first we were the only couple in but it soon filled up with locals and tourists alike - a popular place, good authentic food and reasonable priced. Service was good.

Favorite Dish: We both had pasta starters (filling in themselves) and the mixed grills - which were huge with fries and a salad. Shard a desert of battered pancake - or something like that - just something a little sweet. With wine and water the bill was 44 euros for two.

• rsleisk's Profile Photo

Trattoria da Rinaldo: Meat or Fish?

by rsleisk Updated Jun 3, 2008

mmmm...fish

My first experience in a truly authentic Sicilian restaurant was very memorable. The restaurant did not open until 8:30 so we were plenty hungry. It was entertaining trying to translate to the waiter what we wanted to order.

Meat or Fish, is essentially what it boiled down to as far as choices. There was a good buffet of antipasta, potatoes, calamari and mussels. Watch out for the Lemoncello!

Favorite Dish: Seafood Buffet, Pasta dish and Grilled fish finished off with a shot of Lemoncello!

• KIMBERLY_WMU's Profile Photo

Hotel Royal: A wonderful hotel restaurant

by KIMBERLY_WMU Written Dec 28, 2007

A wonderful evening

We were not planning on dining in our hotel restaurant. We usually prefer to explore the city and try more local places. Although, after a long rainy day of sight seeing we really wanted to stay in. It ended up being the perfect choice. We were the only guests dining that evening. You can't get in any better than a private dining room with excellent food and a friendly and entertaining waiter. The experience was extremely first class and the evening will remain memorable. If you are seeking something private and romantic, then this is the place for you. They currently are building a terrace, so that you can dine outside in the warmer months.

Favorite Dish: We had many courses which the chef prepared for us. We requested local dishes and enjoyed every one. Definitely one of the best meals I have ever had. And the wine was fabulous too. It was made from grapes that are grown at the base of Mount Etna.

• Museum Visits

• KIMBERLY_WMU's Profile Photo

Al Massimo: Don't Miss the Spaghetti Alla Norma

by KIMBERLY_WMU Written Dec 28, 2007

The ambience was perfect for our first night out in Catania. It was very romantic. The staff were welcoming and friendly. The menu was written in both Italian and English, which was helpful, but you should still do your best with speaking Italian.

Favorite Dish: We had the Pasta Alla Norma. The traditional Sicilian eggplant pasta dish was renamed Spaghetti alla Norma in honour of Bellini, born in Catania. There are two stories to explain this name. The first is that a Sicilian chef was so excited by Bellini’s Norma that as soon as he got back to his kitchen he concocted this sauce where the sliced eggplant, tomato sauce and ricotta salata (typical cheese for the region) blend with the spaghetti. The second (and more likely) is that some of Bellini’s compatriots, delighted by the beauty of his opera, started using the new superlative una vera Norma (A real Norma), which was used to praise the merits of a product or a deed. Years passed, and when the author Nino Martaglio tasted this typical regional dish, he went into raptures about it and called it Spaghetti alla Norma

We read that this was a typical Sicilian dish, so we thought we would try it. I am also a vegetarian, so this was an excellent choice.

• Theater Travel

Pub La Collegiata Srl: Collegiata Area Restaurant / Birrerie

by rsleisk Updated Jun 1, 2007

Rigatoni Pomodoro

As we were walking toward Piazza Duomo on via Etnea we came across some restaurants that were tucked to the side of the Collegiata. The place had outdoor seating and we choose the one that didn't serve the meals in courses.

I had a Beck's along with my delicious pasta dish and to top it off we had a dessert of small fried dough drizzled with nutella.

Favorite Dish: Pasta and dessert.

• Beer Tasting

• rsleisk's Profile Photo

Not your typical Gas Station food...

by rsleisk Updated May 31, 2007

Photo speaks for itself

Even the gas stations off the highways are good places to eat. I had many a delicious panini at these roadside oasis. You can get a gelato or other frozen popsicles, coffee, espresso, but best of all are the wide variety of paninis.

Favorite Dish: Panini, the perfect handheld lunch.

The Italian Bar

by rsleisk Updated May 31, 2007

A bar in Italy is usually a family owned business where you can purchase coffee drinks, wine and liquor, and pastries, gelato and painini sandwiches not like a bar in the states.

The bar is the center of social life, and like with the TV show Cheers everybody knows your name. People may visit their local bar several times a day for coffee, and again later evening for a before or after dinner drink.

Prices range based on whether you sit or stand, it will cost more to sit at a table and even more if the table is outside, than if you stand at the bar.

You pay the cashier first then take your ticket to the server. I learned this by watching the locals after standing there not being served.

Favorite Dish: I loved the espressos, cappuchinos and the pastries.

• rsilva's Profile Photo

Savia: The best bakery/coffe house in Catania

by rsilva Written Apr 26, 2007

If there is one thing that I like (actually there are many, but that is not the point right now) about Siciliy, it is the quality of the sweets/deserts... My absolute favorite are the "Paste di pistacchio", small pistacchio pastries that are to die for! They should be consumed fresh (3-4 days at a maximum) as they are still moist on the inside.

Most "pasticcerie" in Catania will make them as the Pistacchio grows on the hills of the Etna volcano and is widely available, but the ones from Savia are the absolute best.
    In addition, you will find other traditional delicacies such as the "Cassata siciliana", a ricotta-based cake and also small almond paste fruit.
    Don't forget the "cannoli", which are also hard to beat.

There are also "Pasta di mandorle", which are just like the Pistacchio ones that I mentioned earlier, but are made out of almonds.

However, and quite surprisingly, one of my favourite things are the "Profiteroles". They are not easy to get though as you must order on the day before, but I recommend doing so if you are staying for some days.

Service is very efficient, but don't expect to get more than what you ordered. I suspect they have strict orders not to smile! The cashiers are the most irritating people I know (which seems to be the case with all cashiers in Catania).
    If you get on the waiters good side, however, they can be very nice.

Everything is of excellent quality and very fresh - you really can't go wrong.

Take a look at the website which is quite nice. The intro even has some very old pictures of Catania (Savia has been open since 1897)

• vodkablim's Profile Photo

Cafe del duomo: Fresh fish

by vodkablim Written Nov 10, 2006

I really like this place. I mean inside it's nice like a big 'cave' with lot of beautifull bottle of wine. Outside your have sun and 'il duomo' front of you! In the big place of el duomo. On other funny thing is you can only see the ass of the elephant scultur in the middle of the place.

People serving you are very great.

Go there

Favorite Dish: Fish and wine!

• rsilva's Profile Photo

il Sale art cafe': Trendy restaurant with good food

by rsilva Written Oct 14, 2006

The chocolate dessert

This seems to be quite a hip place as it was full when we got there and it seems reservation is recommended.
    Service was quite good with the exception of one rude waiter, although everyone seemed a bit too serious.
    Food was good and they cover a broad range of Italian specialties, from Pizzas to pastas and "secondi" (meat and fish). Most dishes are quite elaborate, both in terms of ingredients and presentation.
    I personally had the tuna with a thin slice of lard, which was in my opinion a bit dry, but a really nice combination and very tasteful.
    My friends had tagliatelle with almonds, steak and Pizza and were all quite happy with their choice.
    As a dessert I had a chocolate cake with warm chocolate sauce inside, accompanied by pistachio icecream. Take a look at the picture to see how nice the presentation is, the restaurant logo is actually made of chocolate powder - nice.

At about 28 Eur per person (including wine), it was not cheap, but seems to be just about average

Instant Answers: Catania

Comments

Catania Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Catania restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Catania sightseeing.