Catania Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Catania

• rsilva's Profile Photo

Officina Gastonomica: Good food, lousy service

by rsilva Written Aug 27, 2006

This is a modern restaurant in the center of Catania, with a very nice, stylish decor.

Almost everything I have eaten here is good (Pizza, pasta, risotto, etc) and the menu seems to change quite often. I even had a good, thick (for Italian standards) steak here, which is quite rare.

However, there is just no excuse for the poor service. Waiters/waitresses are rude and extremely slow. It usually takes 20-30 minutes just to get someone to come over to your table, after which you have to wait quite a while for the main course as well. If you are brave enough to complain or at least point out that you have been waiting long, you are treated with indifference in the best case and get a somewhat rude reply in the worst.

If you are not in a hurry and do not get frustrated easily, you can have a good meal here (well, it is Sicily, so that is more or less standard).

Pizzas/pastas cost less than 10 Eur and mains are slightly more expensive. Expect to pay 15-20 Eur for a two-course meal with wine.

Favorite Dish: I had an excellent tuna risotto with peppers once. It was absolutely delicious.
    One of my favourite pizza's, Parmiggiana, is also available here. I think it is typically Sicilian, so you will probably not find it anywhere else in Italy.

• pelinulger's Profile Photo

At Noto old city center: Gratini.....

by pelinulger Written Jun 26, 2006

I am afraid, I don't remember the name of the gelateria.... BUT, there is only one. The memory of the place is so fresh, I can describe the place very clear...
    At Noto, you pass from the old gate, the straight road is in front of you. When you come to the road where there is a flower show each year, (also the famous balconies are on the same road), on your left, at the corner, there is a good gelateria, pasticeria.

Favorite Dish: They make the best ever granita. Try the 3 flavor one. They have a big good portion. We tried arange rosso (a bir bitter red orange), mullberry and mandorle (almond) these are perfect..

• pelinulger's Profile Photo

Nangallaruni: Off the road but gastronomic

by pelinulger Written Jun 25, 2006

This is the most gastronomic restaurant in whole Sicily. The owner is invited to all clunary shows to represent Sicilian cuisine.
    They not only have the best local dishes, but also the most creative usage of well known vegetables like aubergines. (Cooked with honey and served as dessert).
    They are mainly specialised in funghi di bosco and wild pig dishes.

• pelinulger's Profile Photo

La Pasticeria di Maria: Mandorla---- ALMOND !!!!

by pelinulger Written Jun 25, 2006

This is the oldest pasticeria in town. They offer you a wide variety of cookies made with almond, and they are all delicious. They also have several marzipane fruits. They have a small garden behind, under a fig tree.
    Their granita is not the best, but you need a mulburry / mandorle one after soo many cookies. Don't miss the giant finger cookiesMostaccioni , very hard, with cloves, cinnamon and of course almond. These should be dipped to milk while eating.

Favorite Dish: Almond biscuits are delicios. Especially Sospiri, Bellibruttiand Bocconcini.

Pasticeria Diana: Best ever Cannolo

by pelinulger Written Jun 25, 2006

We stopped for a cannolo and some icecream at Piazza Armerina before going to Villa İmperiale del Casale. This pasticeria is famous for its cannolos, made before your eyes for you. This is realy important, as if made ahead, the pastry can soften, or the delicate cream can get sour.
    They also have a wide variety of icecreams and granitas.
    You can have your cannolo, with pistachio or chocolate dipped.
    They also have a chocolate spcialty with rasin, but due to hot season, they stopped doing it.

Favorite Dish: Cannolo, cannolo, cannolo..... :)

• pelinulger's Profile Photo

Monteletus: Out of path gastronomic......

by pelinulger Written Jun 25, 2006

This is an out of path restaurant. Very creative and delicious cuisine.
    The restaurant is managed by Adriana and Domiono Ferroro, a sicilian family. The dish was delicious.
    We had a full menu of different antipasti's, risotto and pasta, as well as fish. The desert was also perfect.

Favorite Dish: The anti-pasti's were perfect. Very creative as well.

Il Sale: Catania artisanal

by pelinulger Written Jun 25, 2006

Our guide advised this not-listed restaurant. This is on a small street, with tables outside. Their specialty is a pig dish, but you have to order ahead.
    We tested several pizza, all delicious and big. (I shared a pizza with a friend).

Favorite Dish: Ravioli Spada and Pizza estiva were delicious.

Antica Marina: Used to be worse

by baronedivandastad Updated May 1, 2006

The cosy (and busy) interior.

UPDATE: I visited this place again as part of a large group in March 2006. I got the impression that the quality of food had improved since the previous time I went there (see below). In particular, the grilled fish was a class of its own. Also, the wine list is pretty large, perhaps they have enlarged it (though I didn't pay too much attention to it the previous time).

However, the service is still sloppy and waiters somehow look too busy (which in Italy means they're not in control). Also, the fact that they let in players of traditional instruments somehow gives an impression of a touristy place.

I'm not aware of the bill as the dinner was paid by someone else. I may go again

--------------

OLD (April 2005): Antica Marina was recommended to me by a friend who works as a manager in a local company. I tried it expecting some astounding fish but the fare was relatively standard.

Now you have to get things into perspective when you hear this comment. We're in Catania, perhaps the Italian capital of seafood, so anything which I rate here as "standard" would fare around the "extremely good" category in the rest of Italy.

This said, I wasn't astonished. Sure, the swordfish pasta was great, and the mixed antipasto provided for much more than a simple appetizer. However, the service was sloppy, the coffee lukewarm (mortal sin!) and the bill outrageous.

Overall, I don't think I'll go there again. There's much better food for lower prices around this city.

Favorite Dish: The grilled fish platter was a remarkable experience. The low-ish rating I give to this place is not due to the bad food, but rather to the commercial, touristy atmosphere and matching service.

Taverna dei Conti: Seafood with a touch of folklore

by baronedivandastad Written Feb 26, 2006

An orchestra performs for the Baron.

Ok, the welcome may not be the best, and at times it looks like the owner and waiters are a bit in a hurry and understaffed. So the service doesn't get a high score in here, also because the menu is pretty long and good service would be very helpful in choosing the "right" stuff.

When it comes to the food, though, it's another story. The fish is fresh, it's prepared in a professional way, the pasta is cooked to the right point and the use of spices is correct. The presentation is a bit homey, so don't expect too much ceremony in the way the plates are brought to you. The place also has a good selection of non-fish dishes, which is good for allergic people.

Add to this the fact that live music is brought to the ears of the guests and you'll get a weird mix of feelings. I'm personally not a fan of musicians wandering around my table, but in this case I have to say I quite liked it. As the place is not a favourite tourist hangout, you can be sure the music is not designed to mask bad food.

The prices were fairly reasonable, even though it took us really long time to get the necessary attention from the waiters. Overall, I think I'll give this place another try, though I won't die if I don't make it there again.

Favorite Dish: I don't have outstanding memories about anything special - everything was pretty good.

• baronedivandastad's Profile Photo

Metro: Outside the mainstream food trend

by baronedivandastad Written Dec 18, 2005

The table choice was not a difficult one.

This place is unique in its sort in Catania. While most other restaurants center their offering on rather standard, if excellent, stuff, Metro puts particular emphasis on the variety of the menu. The fantasy of the cook, combined with the energy of the owner, make it a truly enjoyable place to have a different dinner.

When I was there last time in the company of three others I was welcomed in a very polite manner, and was accommodated in a table of my choice. The menu is very interestingly built, and presents opportunities centered on typical sicilian products. The gratinated vongole made for an excellent starter, and the pasta with local tomatoes and anchovies was even better. Some of my company had fish and meat, and all were full of good comments. The cheese selection presented as a dessert is a very nice surprise, as is the incredible selection of cakes and sweets.

The winelist is very large, and rightly focused on what Sicily has to offer. There is also space for stuff coming from the rest of Italy, as well as for a few foreign bottles. The selection of whiskies, grappas and brandies is also worth a mention.

The bill was also a really pleasant surprise, presenting me with a much lower amount than I had expected.

I will come back - and you should, too.

Favorite Dish: Perhaps the cheese platter, so unusual in Catania.

Ristorante Crociferi: Luxurious interior and excellent fish

by baronedivandastad Updated Dec 18, 2005

That's how your pineapple slice will look.

When entering this place right at the lower end of via Crociferi, you are likely to get struck by the interior, which was designed by Franco Porto, a Catania native who recently contributed to the renovation of this beautifully located place.

The friendly local staff will welcome you in an informal way. When the three of us arrived in a late October evening, they offered us several options for sitting down, which is good.

The menu is very local, with gems such as fusilli alla catanese (with tomato, sardines and bread crumbs). We started with the usual assorted antipasto dish collection, and I have to say I have rarely found such good quality in the raw materials. This fish does stand out even in a seafood paradise such as Catania.

We then went on with the aforementioned pasta. We also had a plate of pasta with swordfish and vegetables, which was a slight disappointment (it was marketed as the house specialty, but it was rather tasteless). We did not make it to order another course, so I don't know how they do their fish.

We concluded with an excellent lemon sorbet (but lemon was the only available flavour) and with coffee. We did not get to see the wine list, but a quick glance to the fridge revealed a small but valid assortment of whites, mostly (and rightly) coming from Sicily.

The bill was not that high for this place, so I believe I want to give it another try.

UPDATE: as promised I did give the place another try in December 2005. The fish was still very good, and I thought the service was friendlier than average. Maybe it was only because the place was (surprisingly) quite empty. A really safe bet.

Favorite Dish: Pasta alla catanese (see above)

• Luxury Travel

• Ristorante Antica Bellini, Via Etnea, Catania.: Looks nice but the food makes you literally die!

by Maltija Written Oct 25, 2005

My family and I spent the day sightseeing at Catania. Come noon we were famished and chose what looked like a nicely decorated & very chic restaurant on the high street (just opposite Villa Bellini) to sample the Sicilian Cuisine.
    Service: It was tremendously slow ( food took ages to arrive) and none of the lazy waiters bothered asking us if we were happy or not with the food.
    Food: Two of our starters came cold. Two other tortellini with fresh cream and ham weren't cooked well (pasta was still too hard). The turkey rolls with spinach filling was a very ample portion but the stuffing was sour and we left it in our plate.
    Ambience: Very nice
    Price: Moderate

Favorite Dish: None. I'd never go again. Two of us ended with food poisoning and our holiday was ruined.

• Agora Hostel: Big portions

by littlemissneve Written Sep 14, 2005

Not a great selection here but the portionsa re big

I had the brushetta which was actually 4 pieces of bread so was almost full before I started. I then had the swordfish which came with a salad. The pasta looked lovely too
    The fired potatoes with bacon were delicious too.

Outside restaurant, great atmosphere in the evening with music

Sicilia in Bocca: Dining under the arches

by baronedivandastad Written Aug 30, 2005

The Baron is happy (he hasn't got the bill yet).

This place has a very exotic setting, dug into the old city walls and with a terrace facing directly the arches of Marina, on top of which the main railway line runs.

We dined here in late August and were promptly accommodated in the terrace. The pasta of the day was really good, a combination of swordfish, almonds and pistachio. The pasta with vegetables and seafood was delicious as well.

As a main course, we ordered fish in the "cartoccio", that is wrapped in alluminium. it was delicate in taste and evidently fresh.

The wine they proposed with this was an interesting 100% Catarratto, which I thought did not quite fit with the taste of the fish as it was very strong in alcohol. Perhaps a blend of Inzolia would have been more suited.

The desserts were good: we had ananas and panna cotta with wild strawberries. A note of praise for the excellent bread.

Coffee came lukewarm and was bad, not a good ending for an otherwise good meal. Too bad the bill was also way higher than expected - is 37 euros a good price for 700 g of fish, however good?

Favorite Dish: The pasta with swordfish, almonds and pistacchio seemed to be a bit above everything else.

• rsilva's Profile Photo

Sicilian fast food

by rsilva Updated Jan 3, 2005

If you go to Italy, you must forget about eating at fast food "restaurant" chains like McDonalds.
    If you visit Siciliy, it is almost a crime to eat at a fast food "restaurant".

The reason for this is that food gets better, the further South you go, the better the food (not only my opinion, even Italians from the North seem to agree). Catania is obviously no exception. I can understand that sometimes you don't feel like sitting down at a Restaurant or maybe you are just on a tight budget, but that is no excuse!

All around Catania are the so called "tavola calda" which literally means "warm table" and they serve all kinds of food/snacks. My personal favorite is the "arancino" , which is a pear-shaped, orange (hence the name, "little orange") ball of rice, minced meat, cheese and peas or you can get the vegetarian version with spinach. It is delicious and not much more expensive than a hamburger, of course you cannot compare the two when it comes to taste... It is typical from Catania.

Otherwise, you can get a pizza slice, which is usually good or a pizzetta (miniature pizza) or calzone (miniature calzone).

All these things are quite cheap, so for 4-5 Euros you can have a delicious snack/meal.

The only problem is that you will miss this when you go back home.

Instant Answers: Catania

Comments

Catania Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Catania restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Catania sightseeing.