Fish Market, Catania

by ICBT
  • ICBT's Profile Photo

The Fish Market

by ICBT Updated May 27, 2003

I pescivendoli, the fish merchants, hawk their wares here, making this one of the stinkiest places in Catania, but certainly also a must stop for any discerning culture-buff or seafood fan. I, being Alaskan, peer down my big nose at Sicily's fish out of pride, but don't you be so dumb! To test your true tourist grit try buying a kilo of squid from a toothless, shouting fisherman.

Anyway, the one in Palermo is really famous, and this one is exactly the same, only in a way cooler part of town.

Interesting fact: the pescivendoli's candelora during the festival of St. Agata is my favorite!

Nearby: see piazza duomo

• tishomingoblues's Profile Photo

the fish market

by tishomingoblues Written Jan 28, 2004

cabbage at the market

One of the place you can't miss is the market, mostly famous for the fish selling.
    This place is very large and I have never seen so many stands selling huge amount of fresh fishes (mostly still alive). The noise is high: each fishmonger screams price and attribute of his goods and invite you to taste their fish (Yes, here you can eat row fish !!!)
    and the buyers scream too because they try to make the best bargain....
    Unfortunately I haven't a good pic of a fish stand, but I got this, a very singular species of cabbage (I've never seen it before !!).

Instant Answers: Catania