Scopello risen at the end of the 18th century around the "baglio", on a previous arab country house (Sicily is full of baglio). The name of Scopello probably derives from the Greek "scopelos" (rock), from the Latin "scopellum" (rock) and from the arab "iscubul iactus" (high rock).
Human presence is dated since the prehistoric period , well known for the good fishing area, so that the Greeks called it "Cetaria", that means "earth of the tunnys".
There was the Arabs that founded there a country house, which was inhabited by fishermen and shepherds .
In the 1200 arrive Frederic II the Swabian, who soon left because of the continuous piratic incursions. In those centuries, in fact, the pirates who infested the low Mediterranean sea, used the bay of Scopello as a base for their raids: mooring the ships behind the stacks, they were practically invisible from the open sea.
There are some towers in this area and probabaly they were part of a system of defense and communication distributed along all the perimeter of the Sicily: communicating among the fire, by night and with the smoke during the day, The oldest, probably built up by the Arabs to protect the "tonnara",.
You can find solke others in Scopello: the Doria tower, on the terrace that faces the bay, , the Bennistra tower, on the top of a mount in the south of the "baglio" and that dominates the entire gulf of Castellammare.
The "tonnara" (thunny-fishing structure), known since a long time ago, worked until few years ago, together with the"baglio", the buildings and the warehouses. The zone has been known since ancient times because of the abundance of tunnys, which were fished in its sea, so much that the Greeks called it "Cetaria", that means "earth of the tunnys".